The genetic history of Ice Age Europe

In Paleolithic Europe there was a unique variant which has been coined as the Cro-Magnon man, not all paleolithic skulls belonged to this type. Cro-Magnon exemplars are fascinating for heaving very advanced features, large brains/cranium, high straight foreheads, wide faces but mesocephalic, strong positive chins and very muscular. I wonder to which haplogroup the Cro-Magnons belonged to and their genetic legacy.

Minute 1:40 I think this draw is about the now proved to be a false Cromagnon, known as "Cro-Magnon 1" belonging to mtDNA T2. Dated finally of less than 800 years ago. His name could be easily "Jean Pierre" :)

As a whole Cro-Magnon and descendants hade a rather low and a bit rounded frontal, vertical enough at the basis and curving itself up and back towards the 'bregma' (it I don't confuse the words) ITS the skull top, long and linear until the occiput. the browridges were not too marked; very different from some of the subsequent Upper Paleo Mesolithic people where one type had a very "brutal" forehead, receding without too much curve above very strong browridges.
Later types show for me evidence of crossings between the two kinds, and badly labelled 'cromagnoids' all of them.
(hot) amateur statement.

As a whole Cro-Magnon and descendants hade a rather low and a bit rounded frontal, vertical enough at the basis and curving itself up and back towards the 'bregma' (it I don't confuse the words) ITS the skull top, long and linear until the occiput. the browridges were not too marked; very different from some of the subsequent Upper Paleo Mesolithic people where one type had a very "brutal" forehead, receding without too much curve above very strong browridges.
Later types show for me evidence of crossings between the two kinds, and badly labelled 'cromagnoids' all of them.
(hot) amateur statement.

I've always wondered about this sort of thing. What's the best book to read?

Do we not have any "pure" cromagnon DNA? I feel like we do. Was it C1 Y HG?

And I've posted many amateur hot takes.

these old surveys were using metric means but also individual/typologic classification when today metric anthropology seems using, for the little I have red, only means and artificial "distances" and dendograms without too much genealogic value for I think (some of the today scholars said that too). The old studies were not always relevant and some disagreed with others but they were the best way to try to find components taking parts in crossings (so DNA admixture for a part); what I like in them is the descriptions of shapes we don't find in what I red recently because to catch these shapes we need far more measures; for practical reasons I suppose (lack of parts of crania?) the new studies take only some principal measures, the more often without jaw if I understood well, useful but not sufficient to distinguish between sometimes very different types.
I don't know a summary work about ancient anthropology and I picked up things here and there. In french there is a collection of scholar books (ancient works are not always of high level compared to today science but can help) under the name 'PERSEE' but your are obliged to try all kinds of "googling titles" to find something. My relatively short knowledge is the result of a mass of picking here and there, even sometimes only allusions found in books dedied to other matters as a whole. I've some pictures but I don't manage how share them here.
Coon gave some short descriptions for proto-historical pops and "types" and gave us too some measures means, but it's very tiny. Nevertheless he was the first to speak of shapes which differentiate between 'corded', 'kymric', 'long-barrows','danubian' and 'saxon', even if pseudo mean types they prove the differences of origin (in part) of diverse pops otherwise all described as 'dolichocephalic' what is very short! Coon opened a door rhather than he found solid solutions, that said. I'm sorry I cannot say more.
I can give you some measures for some ancient pops, some of them given by Coon spite not from him everytime, but for Paleo I've almost nothing (only Combe-Capelle, more UP/Mesolithic than true Paleo) -

This thread has been viewed 182710 times.

Back