The genetic history of Ice Age Europe

bicicleur 2

Reaction score
http://eurogenes.blogspot.be/2016/05/the-genetic-history-of-ice-age-europe.html

Abstract: Modern humans arrived in Europe ~45,000 years ago, but little is known about their genetic composition before the start of farming ~8,500 years ago. Here we analyse genome-wide data from 51 Eurasians from ~45,000–7,000 years ago. Over this time, the proportion of Neanderthal DNA decreased from 3–6% to around 2%, consistent with natural selection against Neanderthal variants in modern humans. Whereas there is no evidence of the earliest modern humans in Europe contributing to the genetic composition of present-day Europeans, all individuals between ~37,000 and ~14,000 years ago descended from a single founder population which forms part of the ancestry of present-day Europeans. An ~35,000-year-old individual from northwest Europe represents an early branch of this founder population which was then displaced across a broad region, before reappearing in southwest Europe at the height of the last Ice Age ~19,000 years ago. During the major warming period after ~14,000 years ago, a genetic component related to present-day Near Easterners became widespread in Europe. These results document how population turnover and migration have been recurring themes of European prehistory.

abstract : http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature17993.html
figures and tables : http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/fig_tab/nature17993_ft.html
supplementary info : http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/extref/nature17993-s1.pdf

According to this study, R1b was in Italy 14,000 years ago:

Villabruna (Sovramonte – Belluno, Italy)
The burial of Riparo Villabruna was discovered in 1988 by A. Broglio in the small
rockshelter named Riparo Villabruna A in the Veneto Dolomites. It contains a partial
skeleton with lower limbs severed at the distal femoral shafts associated with burial goods of
the Epigravettian culture50. The date quoted here comes from the skull51, whereas the genetic
analysis is of a left femur. This individual bears the earlier known example of treatment of
dental caries52.

• Villabruna at 14,180-13,780 cal BP (KIA-27004: 12,140±7014C)51
(direct date, using collagen ultrafiltration)

[...]

We were surprised to assign Villabruna to R1b1 (Table S4.2). When we restrict to damaged sequences, we still assign it to R1b

[...]

Based on analysis of statistic like D(X, Y; Villabruna Cluster, Mbuti), we find that
BerryAuBac, Bichon, Bockstein, Chaudardes1, Falkenstein, Ranchot88, Rochedane, and
Villabruna all show a high degree of allele sharing with Mesolithic Western Europeans
including Loschbour and LaBrana1, which are sometimes also called “Western Hunter
Gatherers”4 (Table S5.6). We view all these samples as closely related, along with
Hungarian.KO1 which clusters with them despite being from an Early Neolithic context6.

Nice! Definitely M343, likely L278.
And in Italy!!

Y Haplogroups:

* Kostenki 14: C1b

* Goyet C1a

* Cioclivna 1 "CT"

* Kostenki 12 : CT

* Vestonice 13: CT

* Vestonice 15: BT

* Pavlov 1: I*

* vestonice 16: C1a2

* Paglicci 133: *I

* HohleFels49: I*

* Goyet Q2: I*

* Burkhardtshohle: I*

* Villabruna: R1b1

* Rochedane: I*

* Falkenstein: I*

* CuiryLesChaudardes1: I*

* Berry Au Bac I*

List of new Samples.

All of the Paleo-Europeans form a cluster as opposed to Mal'ta boy. None of them, including the ones from Southern Italy, had Basal Eurasian ancestry. The oldest example of a true WHG appears to be 14,000 years old and from Italy(with Y DNA R1b). Our oldest example of typical WHG mtDNA U5b2 is also from Italy. WHG might be from an Italian, not Iberian, refiguim, but that's just speculation.

There were distinct populations in Ice age Europe(besides WHG and EHG). Here are the conclusions by the authors based on treemix and admixturegraph.

Conclusion
>Paleo Euros as clade opposed to MA1
>Vestonice is mostly Kostinki with minor Goyet.
>El Miron is mostly Goyet with minor Villabruna.’
>Loschbour is mostly Villabruna with minor Goyet.

Vestonice: 30,000 years old Czech Republic(Central Europe).
Kostinki: 36,000 years old Russia(Western egde).
Goyet: 30,000 years old Beligium.
El Miron: 20,000 years old Spain.
Villabruna: 14,000 years old Northern Italy.
Loschbour: 8,000 years old Luxembourg.

After so many years on this site I firstly expected ancient R1b in Europe. But everyone was saying that there is no ancient R1b in Europe. So I let go that idea.

But now after so many here on this site this is HUGE and unexpected!

Some very rare, and strange haplogroups.

C1 ??
CT ??
BT ??

It seems, that:

That Italian with R1b carried no basal Eurasian ancestry:

(quote from Anthrogenica discussion):

One has to keep in mind the Villabruna cluster has no so called basal. So it is likely a population with no basal contributing to both Villabruna and the Middle/Near East. "the Satsurblia Cluster carries large amounts of Basal Eurasian ancestry while Villabruna Cluster individuals do not"

So how did they conclude, that he came from the Near East?

C1 ??
CT ??
BT ??

Yeah, this R1b stands out among such strange lineages.

BBC article about this study, with photos of some skulls - including Villabruna's:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36150502

"This 14,000-year-old individual from Villabruna, Italy, lived at a time when the climate was warming up":

_89538772_89538771.jpg

It probably shows that R1b was wide-spread already in Upper Paleolithic - living both in West Asia and South Europe. We really need some aDNA samples from Prehistoric Middle East. Now every location is possible as the original homeland of R1b-M269...

We could expect a very fasct reaction by Genetiker (hehehe):

https://genetiker.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/y-snp-calls-from-ice-age-europe/

https://genetiker.wordpress.com/y-snp-calls-for-villabruna/

According to him: "Villabruna was pre-R1b1a1a-P297."

very pre-P297 : 2 postive SNPs vs 12 negative and this for an individual with age 14 ka while formation age for P297 is 16.8 ka and TMRCA 13.5 ka with subclades M478 and M269
this makes this individual very unlikely to be the ancestor of the split between M478 and M269
how and when did this pre-P297 get there and where were his brothers?
the spread of obsidian from Melos to the Peloponesos suggests people were crossing the Aegean Sea at least 13 ka
or they may have come through the northern part of the Adriatic Sea which was dry land

don't forget Oase-I who was K https://genetiker.wordpress.com/2015/06/24/analyses-of-the-oase-1-genome/
and who was an outlier

the paleolithic men travelled a lot !

the paleolithic men travelled a lot !

Right. In this case it was not even difficult, because Italy and Balkans were one land mass, which means the Steppe and probably Anatolia and the whole Near-East were directly connected. Having this in mind, it would surprise me not to find various haplogroups scarcely scattered around already much earlier.

They seem to be sure it isn't associated with modern West European R1b though.

They write this in "... Ice Age Europe" (footnote 9 leads to Haak 2015 "Massive migration..."):

"(...) We were surprised to find haplogroup R1b in the ~14,000-year-old Villabruna individual from Italy. While the predominance of R1b in western Europe today owes its origin to Bronze Age migrations from the eastern European steppe9 (...)"

However, just a few days ago in "Punctuated bursts in male demography...", we could read:

"(...) in Western Europe, related lineages within R1b-L11 expanded ~4.8–5.9 kya (Supplementary Fig. 14e), most markedly around 4.8 and 5.5 kya. The earlier of these times, 5.5 kya, is associated with the origin of the Bronze Age Yamnaya culture. The Yamnaya have been linked by aDNA evidence to a massive migration from the Eurasian Steppe, which may have replaced much of the previous European population24,25; however, the six Yamnaya with informative genotypes did not bear lineages descending from or ancestral to R1b-L11, so a Y-chromosome connection has not been established. The later time, 4.8 kya, coincides with the origins of the Corded Ware (Battle Axe) culture in Eastern Europe and the Bell–Beaker culture in Western Europe26. (...)"

And AFAIK this is correct, since neither R1b-L11 nor its ancestral clade - R1b-L51 - have been found in Yamnaya.

And the westward expansion of Yamnaya into Europe is explained well enough by modern distribution of ht35:

Yamna_Westward.png

very pre-P297 : 2 postive SNPs vs 12 negative

Yes but he was still closer to P297 than - for example - Samara Eneolithic sample:

I0122 / SVP35 (grave 12) - R1b1

According to Genetiker that sample was farther away from P297, only R1b-L278* :

https://genetiker.wordpress.com/y-snp-calls-for-i0122/

M415 is on the same level as L278. He lived thousands of years after Villabruna.

very pre-P297 : 2 postive SNPs vs 12 negative
But he lived ~1000 or more years before the TMRCA of P297.

So he could not be positive for all SNPs of P297 due to chronology.

It seems that he could actually be ancestral to post-TMRCA P297.

Yes but he was still closer to P297 than - for example - Samara Eneolithic sample:

I0122 / SVP35 (grave 12) - R1b1

According to Genetiker that sample was farther away from P297, only R1b-L278* :

https://genetiker.wordpress.com/y-snp-calls-for-i0122/

M415 is on the same level as L278. He lived thousands of years after Villabruna.

But he lived ~1000 or more years before the TMRCA of P297.

So he could not be positive for all SNPs of P297 due to chronology.

It seems that he could actually be ancestral to post-TMRCA P297.

all I can say : R1b was a wanderer !

Extremely interesting information here. Looks like we're really starting to get some ancient DNA coverage of Stone Age Europe.

C1 ??
CT ??
BT ??

The Supplementary Info pages 29-31 give some indication of what SNPs they tested, and it doesn't seem that these "CT" and "BT" calls are so weird once you look there. Basically, they didn't test beyond BT and CT markers for those, so they could still be something more expected like Haplogroup C or Haplogroup I.

Landmark study for European Paleolithic Y-DNA, but nothing unexpected, not even the R1b1*. We already knew that Mesolithic Europeans belonged to haplogroups C1a2, I*, I and I2 + R1a and R1b in eastern Europe. Phylogenetically their ancestors could only have belonged to older subclades of the same haplogroups, which is exactly what we see here. There is also the appearance of even older haplogroups like BT and CT, which eventually went extinct.

The presence of R1b1* is Italy 14,000 years ago is not that remarkable considering that Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Europe were peopled by highly mobile hunter-gatherers. It is to be expected that some eastern European HG ended up in central or southern Europe now and then, as they follow herds, are expelled by neighbouring tribes, or escape bouts of particularly cold winters in Ice Age Russia or Ukraine. Nothing exceptional here. Besides Villabruna is in Alpine north-east Italy, near Austria, so only a stone throw away from the Pannonian plain which is regarded as the westernmost section of the Eurasian Steppe, that was inhabited by R1a and R1b people since these haplogroups emerged around the LGM.

This thread has been viewed 182498 times.

Back