The genetic history of Ice Age Europe

That's wrong. I don't mean to be a jerk, but there's no way that stat is correct. Kostenki14 has the same affinity to Europeans other Paleo-Euros do. He's closer to basically all modern Europeans than to Stuttgart. I've seen plenty of statistics proving this.

Table S8.1 in the SI of this paper has similar D-stats.

The Magdalenian reindeer hunters moved around in teepees, they were very mobile.

I guess the Magelmosian were the first Villabrunans arriving in Scandinavia 11 ka
They had huts made of bark whiwh indicates they were at least semi-sedentary.

The Maglemosian people lived in forest and wetland environments, using fishing and hunting tools made from wood, bone, and flint microliths. It appears that they had domesticated the dog.

This dog connection may be especially important. The latest dog genomics studies point to a 15k ybp radiation of domestic dogs out of southern east asia.

Since I am new here, I can't post working links, sorry about that! Google "Out of southern East Asia: the natural history of domestic dogs across the world" and scroll down to Figure 2D.

From their discussion:

As there is little evidence of westward human migrations from southern East Asia around 15 000 years ago, the initial spread of the domestic dog out of Asia may in part have been a self-initiated dispersal driven by environmental factors (e.g., the retreat of the glacial coverage that started about 19 000 years ago). The specific route domestic dogs used to migrate to the Middle East, Africa and Europe remains to be uncovered.

The conclusion is shaky, to say the least, but maybe the analysis is sound.

This dog connection may be especially important. The latest dog genomics studies point to a 15k ybp radiation of domestic dogs out of southern east asia.

Since I am new here, I can't post working links, sorry about that! Google "Out of southern East Asia: the natural history of domestic dogs across the world" and scroll down to Figure 2D.

From their discussion:

The conclusion is shaky, to say the least, but maybe the analysis is sound.
Here is a post with links to article and research.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...sands-years-ago-in-Europe?p=419987#post419987
Welcome to Eupedia, Tom.

Finally had a minute to read this. I'm on vacation everyone : )

Not much to add. This was a good read though.

Still looks to me like WHG expansion out of the Italian (or thereabouts) refuge where they hunted and moved around a lot eventually mixing with MA1 like, CHG, and ENF. This coincides well with what is roughly agreed to be epigravettian continuity in Italy, the Balkans, and the SW Steppe. Makes sense to me.

So this would look something like: WHG is already in Anatolia as ENF expands into the region where they mix. As ENF/EEF continues to churn this WHG signal remains. There would have been mixing with CHG like in the North Caucuses and MA-1 like on the steppe. CHG and WHG share blue eyes, and AG3 has greatly increased WHG admixture compared to MA-1. And there's the lack of Basal Eurasian in WHG. All of this is consistent with WHG expansion. And I don't see anything that's inconsistent with WHG expansion.

Finally had a minute to read this. I'm on vacation everyone : )

Not much to add. This was a good read though.

Still looks to me like WHG expansion out of the Italian (or thereabouts) refuge where they hunted and moved around a lot eventually mixing with MA1 like, CHG, and ENF. This coincides well with what is roughly agreed to be epigravettian continuity in Italy, the Balkans, and the SW Steppe. Makes sense to me.

So this would look something like: WHG is already in Anatolia as ENF expands into the region where they mix. As ENF/EEF continues to churn this WHG signal remains. There would have been mixing with CHG like in the North Caucuses and MA-1 like on the steppe. CHG and WHG share blue eyes, and AG3 has greatly increased WHG admixture compared to MA-1. And there's the lack of Basal Eurasian in WHG. All of this is consistent with WHG expansion. And I don't see anything that's inconsistent with WHG expansion.

Mesolithic greek mtDNA K1c?

I see the tune about the Villabruna results is changing. I wonder if there will be a retraction of all the nasty things said about this paper?

Oh, the irony. :)

Mesolithic greek mtDNA K1c?

Missed this.

K1c isn't associated with EEF (yet) and those samples were pre-EEF. I wish they could have sampled them better and gotten a full genome though. These could have answered some questions.

I see the tune about the Villabruna results is changing. I wonder if there will be a retraction of all the nasty things said about this paper?

Oh, the irony. :)

What's changing? Who's changing?

And I thought it was the Anatolian paper that everyone hated.

Missed this.

K1c isn't associated with EEF (yet) and those samples were pre-EEF. I wish they could have sampled them better and gotten a full genome though. These could have answered some questions.

Haplogroup K is probably Middle Eastern(common ancestry shared by EEF and CHG). K1c today is relatively popular in Europe, but I'm not sure how frequent it is anyother region. There's a good chance this means Mesolithic Greeks were largely "Middle Eastern"(or this type of ancestry went beyond the boundires of the Middle East) and may very well have been EEF-like.

Haplogroup K is probably Middle Eastern(common ancestry shared by EEF and CHG). K1c today is relatively popular in Europe, but I'm not sure how frequent it is anyother region. There's a good chance this means Mesolithic Greeks were largely "Middle Eastern"(or this type of ancestry went beyond the boundires of the Middle East) and may very well have been EEF-like.

Yes, it's widespread. I know that, but we haven't found it in ancient EEF whereas we've found K1a. That's all I'm saying, but I know sample size isn't massive yadda yadda yadda

It would have been nice to have gotten the full genomes of those Mesolithic Greeks so we wouldn't have to be speculating. I can't recall the archaeology at the moment to say things the culture and/or physical type, but for the time being this will offer some strong clues as to how EEF these per-farming Greeks may be. I should review the appendix.

Paper published in journal "Nature", 9 June (Nature 534):

The Genetic History of Ice Age Europe

Fu et al (64 authors)

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v534/n7606/full/nature17993.html#tables

And links for figures and tables and supplementary info are changed in relation to the first post.

Extended data figures and tables

Extended Data Figure 1: A decrease in Neanderthal ancestry in the last 45,000 years. (127 KB)

nature17993-sf1.jpg

Extended Data Figure 2: Heat matrix of pairwise f[SUB]3[/SUB](X, Y; Mbuti) for selected ancient individuals. (332 KB)

Extended Data Figure 3: Studying how the relatedness of non-European populations to pairs of European hunter-gatherers changes over time. (525 KB)

Extended Data Figure 4: Three admixture graph models that fit the data for Satsurblia, an Upper Palaeolithic individual from the Caucasus. (127 KB)

Extended Data Table 1: The 51 ancient modern humans analysed in this study (327 KB)

Extended Data Table 2: Estimated proportion of Neanderthal ancestry (477 KB)

Extended Data Table 3: Significant correlation of Neanderthal ancestry estimate with specimen age (205 KB)

Extended Data Table 4: Sex determination for newly reported individuals (485 KB)

Extended Data Table 5: Allele counts at SNPs affected by selection in individuals with >1-fold coverage (285 KB)

Extended Data Table 6: All European hunter-gatherers beginning with Kostenki14 share genetic drift with present-day Europeans (623 KB)

New link for Supplementary Information:

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v534/n7606/extref/nature17993-s1.pdf

Archaeological context for 38 newly reported samples 2-14 SI

Ancient DNA processing and quality control 15-20 SI

Evidence for a decrease in Neanderthal ancestry over time 21-27 SI

Sex determination and Y chromosome analyses 28-31 5

Genetic clustering of ancient samples 32-47 SI

Admixture Graph modeling of high coverage ancient genomes 48-53 SI

Admixture Graph based assignment of ancestry 54-58 SI

No evidence of Basal Eurasian ancestry in pre-Neolithic Europeans 59-63 SI

Mal’ta1 is an outgroup to Upper Palaeolithic Europeans after 37,000 years ago 64-65 SI

A genetic link between GoyetQ116-1 and the El Mirón Cluster 66-68 SI

Gene flow linking the Villabruna Cluster and the Near East 69-70 SI

Population affinities of the Satsurblia Cluster 71-73 SI

Thanks for posting. I'm surprised of low level of Neanderthal DNA in Paleolithic folks. I thought it was much higher.

Hmmm, 15% of drop of Neanderthal DNA from Human genome in 50 thousand years, from 3 to 2.5 percent. I'm having doubts that it was about "fitness" of Neanderthal DNA. Perhaps some of them mutated beyond recognition that they are derived from Neanderthal. Others were replaced by volume of new mutations from people coming from South like WHG and farmers. One is certain, after initial mixing of both races, Neanderthal DNA quickly dropped to 3% (level of essential mutations for living in cold climate?) and lasted almost unchanged for 50 thousand years. If anything, we got the very "fit" part of their genome! The "unfit" part was weeded out very quickly, in just few generations.

When we look at coldest part of Ice Age 45 to 15 kya, the level of Neanderthal DNA is stable around 3% or even spiking higher during LGM, to almost 4% in some cases. The serious drop to 2.5% happens in our warm interglacial period.

Oase1 is quite an evenement. He must have had Neanderthal grand grand parent. Maybe he even knew him personally and talked to him?

He must have had Neanderthal grand grand parent. Maybe he even knew him personally and talked to him?

Considering the lifespan of people at the time it is very unlikely, but it is an interesting thought

Considering the lifespan of people at the time it is very unlikely, but it is an interesting thought
Yep, a possibility. Maybe not that unrealistic considering also that women had kids very early at age of 15, possibly even earlier. At age of 30 one can be grandmother, at age of 45 great grandma.

Thanks for posting. I'm surprised of low level of Neanderthal DNA in Paleolithic folks. I thought it was much higher.

Hmmm, 15% of drop of Neanderthal DNA from Human genome in 50 thousand years, from 3 to 2.5 percent. I'm having doubts that it was about "fitness" of Neanderthal DNA. Perhaps some of them mutated beyond recognition that they are derived from Neanderthal. Others were replaced by volume of new mutations from people coming from South like WHG and farmers. One is certain, after initial mixing of both races, Neanderthal DNA quickly dropped to 3% (level of essential mutations for living in cold climate?) and lasted almost unchanged for 50 thousand years. If anything, we got the very "fit" part of their genome! The "unfit" part was weeded out very quickly, in just few generations.

When we look at coldest part of Ice Age 45 to 15 kya, the level of Neanderthal DNA is stable around 3% or even spiking higher during LGM, to almost 4% in some cases. The serious drop to 2.5% happens in our warm interglacial period.

Oase1 is quite an evenement. He must have had Neanderthal grand grand parent. Maybe he even knew him personally and talked to him?

My bold.

Something that just struck me reading this is what if Neanderthal DNA didn't drop because it sucked (or because of problems related to birth). What if there were just a lot fewer of them to start with?

For example four grand parents
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
Neanderthal + Neanderthal
= grand child 37% Neanderthal

AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
AMH + Neanderthal
= grand child 25% Neanderthal

AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
= grand child 12.5% Neanderthal

eight great grandparents
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
= grand child 6% Neanderthal

not sure if that makes sense or not?

My bold.

Something that just struck me reading this is what if Neanderthal DNA didn't drop because it sucked (or because of problems related to birth). What if there were just a lot fewer of them to start with?

For example four grand parents
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
Neanderthal + Neanderthal
= grand child 37% Neanderthal

AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
AMH + Neanderthal
= grand child 25% Neanderthal

AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
= grand child 12.5% Neanderthal

eight great grandparents
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + AMH
AMH + Neanderthal
= grand child 6% Neanderthal

not sure if that makes sense or not?
Very likely it was the case, that there were always more humans around than Neanderthals therefore level of their DNA in human genome was always smaller. If there was 3 Neanderthal for every 97 humans we could explain 3% just mathematically. I'm suspecting the steady level of 3% was important and minimum to survive up North, therefore we can say more fit for the climatic zone and local fauna and flora, diseases included. Natural selection in action. Otherwise Neanderthal DNA would drop to 0% overwhelmed by sheer number of humans and their DNA. However, in Europeans, it is stubbornly stuck around "magical" 3% for last 50 thousand years. It means a lot.

I just wanted to post that we officially know now that the Villabruna allele sharing with the Middle East was in fact from WHG or the like in or near Anatolia and the Caucuses.

In Paleolithic Europe there was a unique variant which has been coined as the Cro-Magnon man, not all paleolithic skulls belonged to this type. Cro-Magnon exemplars are fascinating for heaving very advanced features, large brains/cranium, high straight foreheads, wide faces but mesocephalic, strong positive chins and very muscular. I wonder to which haplogroup the Cro-Magnons belonged to and their genetic legacy.

I wonder to which haplogroup the Cro-Magnons belonged to and their genetic legacy.

Check if the DNA taken from Paleo Europeans in the study discussed in this thread are from archaeological sites with Cro Magnon types. The genomes belonged mostly to Y DNA C1 and I and mtDNA M* and U; U5*, U2*, U*, U8* pre-U2e, U6, others.

Their closest relatives today are Europeans. Modern Europeans are a mixture of known Mesolithic/Late Paleo populations. To examine their genetic legacy further lets examine their relationship to the Mesolithic/Late Paleo ancestors of Europeans. They share sometype of common ancestry with all of them. They're closest to WHG, the primary Mesolithic/Late Paleo people of Europe. WHG though probably isn't their direct descendant but its ancestors may be unsampled groups of Paleo Europeans.

Basically Paleo Europeans genetically are what you would expect; extinct but related to the ancestors of many modern people(esp. Europeans). They belonged to extinct mtDNA/Y DNA which was related to modern WHG-descended Y DNA/mtDNA: They had I* instead of I2 or I1, they had U5* instead of U5b or U5a, they had pre-U2e instead of U2e, they had U8* instead of U8a1a, and so on.

In Paleolithic Europe there was a unique variant which has been coined as the Cro-Magnon man, not all paleolithic skulls belonged to this type. Cro-Magnon exemplars are fascinating for heaving very advanced features, large brains/cranium,
Oh, you are so romantic about them, that it is almost cute. You should know that bigger doesn't mean smarter. We, people with smaller brains, have build the civilization, not them.
Is cellphone smarter than big supercomputer of 80s?

high straight foreheads,
Straight? I think you confused them with Early Farmers.

wide faces but mesocephalic, strong positive chins and very muscular.
Wow, so handsome, to bad they couldn't write or we knew how smart they were.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 182677 times.

Back