Athanasiadis et al. 2016 - Genetic History of Denmark

Strontium isotopes from teeth of Harold Bluetooth's mercenaries show that they came from Poland.

Some of them - 6 out of 32 - even came from Southern Poland, i.e. from the region around Cracow.
Cool, polish mercenaries from Cracow in Denmark. They traded and shared easier than in European Union. :)

Unrelated to the issue of Poles in Denmark, but here is such a scheme that I made a few years ago.

The battle in the Land of the Dadodesani (Gau Diadesi), 1015, according to Thietmar's Chronicle:

The battle ended in destruction of the German rearguard during their retreat - German losses were "200 milites optimi" killed (apart from "optimi" perhaps several hundred "milites gregarii" died too), certain prominent knight named "Liudulfus" was captured:

file.php

Among Germans killed in that battle was their commander-in-chief, Markgraf Gero II:

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/MEISSEN.htm

a) GERO [II] ([970/75]-killed in battle Gau Diadesi 1 Sep 1015, bur Kloster Nienburg).

"Geronem marchionem" is named in the Annalista Saxo, which also records his parentage[68]. A boy [puer] in 980, which provides the basis for estimating his birth date range. Graf im Hassegau 992. Markgraf [der Lausitz] 993. "…Gero comes…" was among the witnesses of the charter dated 1013 under which "Henricus…imperator augustus" renewed his 1007 judgment concerning a dispute between Willigis Archbishop of Mainz and Bernward Bishop of Hildesheim[69], although it is not certain that this is the same person as he is described as "comes" rather than "marchio". Thietmar records the death of "Markgraf Gero" in battle against the Poles, dated to 1015, and his burial at Nienburg[70]. m ADELHEID, daughter of ---. 1015. The Annalista Saxo names "Athelheidhe" as wife of "Thietmarus marchio", but does not give her origin[71]. Thietmar names Adelheid widow of Markgraf Gero at her husband's burial[72].

========

Milites gregarii = normal warriors
Milites optimi = better knights

I'm sure they know what Slavs are. And West Slavs name is self-explanatory.

Average person on the West would think west-Russians.

And term "West Slavs" does not seems to be so
laudly promoting an article, like "Poles in Danemark!".

This thread has been viewed 15328 times.

Back