What would people do when robots produce everything?

What will happen to humankind?

• Things won't change much.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Fabric of society will disintegrate and civilization will end.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • World will live in plenty, pleasure and peace forever.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Nobody could possibly predict.

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
What would I do? I would burn my Computer Science degree and any history sitting around in the www about my software development background. People like myself would be forced to work and work sucks. I'd much rather go back to school to major in math.

Work sucks.

What would I do? I would burn my Computer Science degree and any history sitting around in the www about my software development background. People like myself would be forced to work and work sucks. I'd much rather go back to school to major in math.

Work sucks.

If that make you fell any better, I’ll volunteer myself to Watch you Work, I’m really good at that.
That’s the least I could do for you.
lol lol [emoji4]

they kill each-othr?

they put grease on the machines.

they will die to leave more space to the machines,

THEY will Rule the world!!!!
but will they rule their shelves

We'll live in plenty. There will still be wealth inequality though.
There will be for a long time. Though, even baggers will live like kings.

Robots will only produce everything if they become cheaper than 3rd world slaves:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ng-cobalt-for-use-in-smartphones-says-amnesty

They indubitably will. Just take the example of call centres. With human staff, you need to pay lots of people to answer the millions of calls a big company's customer service gets every month. But if calls can be answered by an AI (as they increasingly are), you just need one AI software for an unlimited number of customers. If a big company needed to hire 1000 people before, even relocated in India where wages are much lower than in Europe or North America, it will still be much more expensive than a one-time purchase of a relative simple software. Call centres are among the first to be taken over by AI because staff only repeated pre-made answers from a list, so the AI doesn't need to be very intelligent. But soon enough, AI (apps, softwares, websites) will be able to replace accountants, lawyers, engineers, doctors, insurance brokers, bankers, and so on.

In Belgium more than half of the bank branches were closed in the last 10 years as banks rely increasingly on automated ATM, online services and apps to deal with customer operations. A few years ago you still needed to take an appointment to open a bank account, get an insurance, get investment recommendations or apply for a loan. Now you can do all these things online in a few clicks. If you need help, you used to call your bank's branch. Now you call a centralised call centre, which soon enough will be replaced by a very capable and knowledgeable AI that can answer all your questions without any waiting time. In a few years we will have to explain to the younger generation that there used to be a time when we had to wait for 15 or 30 minutes before a human operator would answer our questions at a firm's hotline ("Your call is important to us. We are doing our best to answer as soon as possible. Please hold the line.")

It's a big improvement and gain of time for customers. But it's also a good thing to get rid of those jobs. Who finds it satisfying or rewarding to answer (often stupid) customer questions on the phone all day? Actually I never quite understood how anybody could enjoy any kind of customer service, be it as a shop assistant, insurance broker, dentist or accountant. Most people do it for the money, not because it is innately rewarding or intellectually stimulating or is a dream-come-true kind of job. Most people with such jobs are happy to come home at the end of the day and look forward to the holidays. The new society in which machines take care of all those boring or tedious jobs will enable humans to do what they really enjoy. There will be more creative jobs (artists, photographers, wedding planners, fashion designers), sports instructors, tour guides, academics and researchers...

As for manufacturing, 3D printers are booming at the moment. Almost anything can be 3D-printed, from computer parts to whole cars. Nowadays 3D-printer that people can be for a home usage print mostly plastic stuff. But in 10 to 20 years people will have 3D printers that will rival the best industrial printers of today, and they will just need stocks of raw materials and download the printing code for shoes, clothes, cooking utensils, sports gear or whatever and print it at home. No more deliveries. No more slave workers in poor countries. Peter Diamandis explains all this in his book Abundance.

Mass starvation in 3rd world countries. Countries like India already sterilize their lowest social classes in a bid to reduce population. But robots will replace menial labourers, after all, and without any jobs they can't be paid so they'll die. Don't say oh they can get educated & better jobs. It an't that simple.

The divide between poverty and upper class will become considerably larger in 1st world countries. The middle-class in some countries is, after all, almost entirely gone nowadays. Menial labour jobs will be widely nonexistent which means more people will rely on welfare & crime to survive. Such, however, will increase taxes and what not on the "working" society to compensate.

Maciamo said:
There will be more creative jobs (artists, photographers, wedding planners, fashion designers), sports instructors, tour guides, academics and researchers...

Anyone who has worked in these artistic fields would be quick to point out that unless you are talented and/or have the right connections nowadays such "jobs" are a hobby. They're not a career. Many have-not artists live cheque to cheque, work odd jobs or have an actual career to make sure they're living on the street corner come the end of the month.

The artistic field is a dog eat dog world & some, such as fashion design, isn't how talented you are but who you know. Big-name "designers" like what's-her-face Beckham isn't designing sh*t she's endorsing others' work by putting her name on it.

I happen to know quite a bit about that as I am an artist & photographer on the side, a cousin is a fashion designer, and cousins/friends are in the music industry.

Similarly one needs to be educated to be a sports instructor - the field isn't open to every tom, dick & harry. Same as how a majority of sports announcers, judges, rule makers, etc. have been in the industry for years or decades even. Specialized sports instructors who are educated on muscle techniques, massages, medicines, etc. for aches, pains, etc. will of course be hired more readily and get more money than Bob-off-the-street.

Tour guides will, in due time, become available only to people fluent in multiple languages. Depending on the region, religion, and social ideology limitations may also be placed on a person's race, appearance, and sex.

Academics & researchers - this career is like writing books for every hundred that try only the top five or ten percent achieve anything of note.

Mass starvation in 3rd world countries. Countries like India already sterilize their lowest social classes in a bid to reduce population. But robots will replace menial labourers, after all, and without any jobs they can't be paid so they'll die. Don't say oh they can get educated & better jobs. It an't that simple.

The divide between poverty and upper class will become considerably larger in 1st world countries. The middle-class in some countries is, after all, almost entirely gone nowadays. Menial labour jobs will be widely nonexistent which means more people will rely on welfare & crime to survive. Such, however, will increase taxes and what not on the "working" society to compensate.

Anyone who has worked in these artistic fields would be quick to point out that unless you are talented and/or have the right connections nowadays such "jobs" are a hobby. They're not a career. Many have-not artists live cheque to cheque, work odd jobs or have an actual career to make sure they're living on the street corner come the end of the month.

The artistic field is a dog eat dog world & some, such as fashion design, isn't how talented you are but who you know. Big-name "designers" like what's-her-face Beckham isn't designing sh*t she's endorsing others' work by putting her name on it.

I happen to know quite a bit about that as I am an artist & photographer on the side, a cousin is a fashion designer, and cousins/friends are in the music industry.

Similarly one needs to be educated to be a sports instructor - the field isn't open to every tom, dick & harry. Same as how a majority of sports announcers, judges, rule makers, etc. have been in the industry for years or decades even. Specialized sports instructors who are educated on muscle techniques, massages, medicines, etc. for aches, pains, etc. will of course be hired more readily and get more money than Bob-off-the-street.

Tour guides will, in due time, become available only to people fluent in multiple languages. Depending on the region, religion, and social ideology limitations may also be placed on a person's race, appearance, and sex.

Academics & researchers - this career is like writing books for every hundred that try only the top five or ten percent achieve anything of note.

I agree. I'm appalled that the government isn't stepping in to prevent it. I just came back from the supermarket. The workers are on strike because the chain wants them to sign a contract that allows the company to pre-package cold cuts, fish, and meats at a central facility, probably by robots in the very near future, and fire all the butchers, fishmongers and deli staff who now give you personal service and a fresher product.

These people are on the verge of poverty already, making only fifteen dollars or so an hour. They do it because they're not qualified to do anything else, and in most cases aren't capable of learning a more skilled trade which is actually in demand.

This is what government planners and economists don't get. The percentage of people with an IQ lower than 90-95 is not insubstantial. We're talking about maybe above 1/3 of the population.

iq-test-guide.gif

(Excuse the hokey graphic; it was the first one that popped up.)

What kind of job do people in power think that a person with a below 95 IQ can do if any factory jobs, truck driving, being a janitor and on and on are done by robots? Even if they're supported by the government, what kind of intellectually stimulating hobbies are they going to pursue? They'll just use more drugs than ever.

I think these "planners" would be well served by having to be a social worker or cop for a while and see the lifestyle of people who have nothing to do and few intellectual resources.

Last edited:
I think product consumption and mindless consumerism will spike because production and services will reach its peak.

If what I saw last night was anything, I think we will all be kidnapped by Aliens, as I saw a fleet of hundreds of UFO's flying across our sky last night, ( North East UK )and I never even had a drink..LOL

I agree. I'm appalled that the government isn't stepping in to prevent it. I just came back from the supermarket. The workers are on strike because the chain wants them to sign a contract that allows the company to pre-package cold cuts, fish, and meats at a central facility, probably by robots in the very near future, and fire all the butchers, fishmongers and deli staff who now give you personal service and a fresher product.

These people are on the verge of poverty already, making only fifteen dollars or so an hour. They do it because they're not qualified to do anything else, and in most cases aren't capable of learning a more skilled trade which is actually in demand.

This is what government planners and economists don't get. The percentage of people with an IQ lower than 90-95 is not insubstantial. We're talking about maybe above 1/3 of the population.

iq-test-guide.gif

(Excuse the hokey graphic; it was the first one that popped up.)

What kind of job do people in power think that a person with a below 95 IQ can do if any factory jobs, truck driving, being a janitor and on and on are done by robots? Even if they're supported by the government, what kind of intellectually stimulating hobbies are they going to pursue? They'll just use more drugs than ever.

I think these "planners" would be well served by having to be a social worker or cop for a while and see the lifestyle of people who have nothing to do and few intellectual resources.
So far in good economies people can create new jobs faster than they disappear by way of automatization and robotics. US is the best example of it. Unemployment is at 3%, the lowest in 50 years or so, in face of many manufacturing jobs gone to china, automatization, legal immigration, and millions of illegals.
We will reach the turning point somewhere in the future, but for now, people creativity in job creation and amount of capital going there is exceeding all expectations.

So far in good economies people can create new jobs faster than they disappear by way of automatization and robotics. US is the best example of it. Unemployment is at 3%, the lowest in 50 years or so, in face of many manufacturing jobs gone to china, automatization, legal immigration, and millions of illegals.
We will reach the turning point somewhere in the future, but for now, people creativity in job creation and amount of capital going there is exceeding all expectations.
I would like to add a great example how new technologies can create more jobs than it destroys. At least at the beginning, though who know, maybe it is long lasting and unforeseen trend?
Google and few other companies are training Artificial Intelligence in self driving cars. Sounds normal, and all drivers are afraid of losing jobs, but interesting is the training part. It turned out that these companies opened "AI training" center in poor countries. They hire local people to sit in front of computers and describe to AI what screen shows; what is a building, road, people, dog, tree, etc. In all different weather conditions, lighting, thousands of different trees, dogs, buildings, sign markings etc, etc. They are getting paid 10 dollars a day, in places where normal wage is 2 bucks a day. Companies save and progress, thousands of people work and make more money.
Just one example.

We might be in a stage where AI creates more jobs than destroys. And it might last for couple of decades at least.

There’s a Robot at my Stop&Shop. I’m not sure what it does, it talks a lot saying that is there to help us, and I saw children attacking it. Really Funny.

There’s a Robot at my Stop&Shop. I’m not sure what it does, it talks a lot saying that is there to help us, and I saw children attacking it. Really Funny.
If I could only hack it to have its eyes flash red and have a strobe light emerge out of its head saying TARGET IDENTIFIED
COMMENCING THREAT ELIMINATION

...before reverting back to its gentle self. That should teach kids to respect all robo-kind :)

Fabric of society will disintegrate and civilization will end.

There will be no job, people won't be able to pay bills and so we can't food and other needs.

In the distant future, I think so. But it will be quite a while until we get to the point where they are ubiquitous... In the process, robots and other AI like self-driving cars will only heighten the disparity between rich and poor people and nations. Who knows what kinds of ethical dilemmas may eventually arise in regards to artificial intelligence and the shifting definition of "life" in the future. Things will be crazy. I'm not as worried about a machine takeover, Terminator-style, as much as other problems resulting from advanced computing and such, like people escaping to virtual reality worlds and losing touch with reality.

This thread has been viewed 57805 times.

Back