• Yes,but not always

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Yes, I don't like meat

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Yes, I don't want to kill animals

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yes, because of my religion

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, I am vegan (no animal product at all, including eggs and milk)

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
It actually sounds very romantic. :)
Welcome to Eupedia flupke.

I have been a vegetarian and vegan at points in the past, for about 1 year each, at a time. It was because gradually i found myself unable to come to terms with factory/industrialized farming methods. And i thought myself unworthy to eat a piece of meat that i had not killed personally. This made me feel cowardly.

Gradually, i found that this diet, did not help my metabolism at all and seemed to make me gain weight surprisingly. Later on i was doing some research and saw the relationship between Type O blood (I'm O-) and cholesterol/heart disease, as well as the relationship between blood type and the quantity of gastric acid produced. My blood pressure was slightly higher eating a vegetarian/vegan diet, because it was filled with whole grains and fruits and vegetables as well as nuts and seeds and did not really do me very well. Now i eat alot of red meat, and greens, and other vegetables and fruits and i feel great on it. Funnily enough, my mother who is a Type A blood, actually prefers eating vegetable/grain matter, and has alot of digestive troubles if she eats meat. This approach seemed sensible to me, and for the past 3-4 years has been working great.

I am pure vegetarian. It is very difficult for me to eat other creatures of our world :( .

No, I am not a vegetarian. I have read somewhere that it is difficult to be a vegatian if you have not grown up with it, and that if becoming a vegetarian as an adult, you can have a craving for sugar and sweets. I knew a vegetarian once, who was just "mad" for cakes and ice cream etc., and he was a vegetarian after he grew up, so I suppose there is something to this sugar craving thing. And look at Adolf Hitler, who also became a vegetarian after he turned 40 - he was extremely fond of cream cakes as well.

I don't eat meat or fish every day. Have tow veggie days per week.

I am 50-50 between meat and vegetables, breaking it down further to,
- meat ( 25% fish 25% meat and poultry, no lamb as I have an allergic reaction to it)
- pasta once a weak
- risotto twice a week

My sister was vegetarian for 15 years and finally got an illness which hospitalized her and she was forced to eat red meat twice a week as other forms ( pills, tablets etc ) did not suffice.

I'm not a vegetarian, I can't really remember a time when I was picky to tell you the truth. :/

My sister was vegetarian for 15 years and finally got an illness which hospitalized her and she was forced to eat red meat twice a week as other forms ( pills, tablets etc ) did not suffice.
Thanks for telling us this real life story.
My motto is "Eat what your ancestor ate for millennia." According to natural selection we should be genetically predisposed to digest and use these food groups. We will be the healthiest when we do that.

I am not. I could never do it. I eat chicken, beef, pork, turkey, and once in a while veal and lamb. They are all so delicious, and I really love meat. I eat many different kinds of cheese, drink milk, kefir, chocolate milk, I eat yogurt, ice cream, and many more dairy and animal products. I use honey sometimes (good German honey).

So in short, I am not a vegetarian, nor a vegan. I am probably the antithesis of vegetarian.

I have been vegetarian for nearly 5 years. Yoga and stuff. A conscious decision to improve and maintain health and not going back. Niether do I want to kill creatures that don't deserve death.

My motto is "Eat what your ancestor ate for millennia." According to natural selection we should be genetically predisposed to digest and use these food groups. We will be the healthiest when we do that.

I just saw this. I couldn't agree more.

So, I assume you don't eat potatoes, bananas or pineapples.

So, I assume you don't eat potatoes, bananas or pineapples.

I can't speak for LeBrok, Aberdeen, but I was referring to the fact that I believe our evolution, the very configuration of our alimentary tract, shows that we are both a plant and animal eating species. That's borne out by the fact that, from my understanding, which is admittedly limited, staying healthy on a strictly vegetarian dialect requires very careful mixing of foods in order to get some of the nutrients that are easily available in meat and fish.

I've also read quite a bit that seems to indicate that in certain parts of Europe, perhaps those areas where farming arrived later, a larger percentage of people have difficulty consuming wheat products. Aren't problems digesting gluten properly more prevalent in those areas? It's certainly true that the ability to consume large amounts of cow milk products varies by area.

All of that said, while I'm allergic to pineapple, and have problems with bananas, you'd have to pry potatoes away from me...I love them...and corn meal, and tomatoes. What would modern Italian cuisine be like without them? :)

I can't speak for LeBrok, Aberdeen, but I was referring to the fact that I believe our evolution, the very configuration of our alimentary tract, shows that we are both a plant and animal eating species. That's borne out by the fact that, from my understanding, which is admittedly limited, staying healthy on a strictly vegetarian dialect requires very careful mixing of foods in order to get some of the nutrients that are easily available in meat and fish.

I've also read quite a bit that seems to indicate that in certain parts of Europe, perhaps those areas where farming arrived later, a larger percentage of people have difficulty consuming wheat products. Aren't problems digesting gluten properly more prevalent in those areas? It's certainly true that the ability to consume large amounts of cow milk products varies by area.

All of that said, while I'm allergic to pineapple, and have problems with bananas, you'd have to pry potatoes away from me...I love them...and corn meal, and tomatoes. What would modern Italian cuisine be like without them? :)

I was just teasing LeBrok for being less clear than he usually is about what he meant. And I agree with you. Meat provides a quick fix of certain essential vitamins and minerals in a form that's easy for the European style body to absorb. In theory, I think I should be just as healthy without red meat, as long as I eat enough seafood, poultry and dairy, but in practice I do feel better if I eat some red meat. However, folks who live in southern India would probably be less well if they ate red meat, and may be able to remain healthy on a vegan diet, because of the eating habits of their ancestors. As for sensitivities to specific foods, I think that's an individual thing - IMO, some people, for whatever reason, just lack the enzymes necessary to digest a particular food and it isn't always because of where their ancestors came from.

As for people who make themselves sick by eating too much meat, or too much starch or too much whatever, I'm glad that nobody has yet mentioned that red herring. Some militant vegan types will maintain that because a modern fast food diet is very unhealthy, that proves that everyone should be vegan, but I think it proves that people should eat beef stew instead of hamburgers and french fries.

I was just teasing LeBrok for being less clear than he usually is about what he meant. And I agree with you. Meat provides a quick fix of certain essential vitamins and minerals in a form that's easy for the European style body to absorb. In theory, I think I should be just as healthy without red meat, as long as I eat enough seafood, poultry and dairy, but in practice I do feel better if I eat some red meat. However, folks who live in southern India would probably be less well if they ate red meat, and may be able to remain healthy on a vegan diet, because of the eating habits of their ancestors. As for sensitivities to specific foods, I think that's an individual thing - IMO, some people, for whatever reason, just lack the enzymes necessary to digest a particular food and it isn't always because of where their ancestors came from.
I've read a research some time ago stating that northern Europeans can indulge in a diet heavy with animal fats and be a little heavier in BMI (body mass index) without adverse health consequences.

As for people who make themselves sick by eating too much meat, or too much starch or too much whatever, I'm glad that nobody has yet mentioned that red herring. Some militant vegan types will maintain that because a modern fast food diet is very unhealthy, that proves that everyone should be vegan, but I think it proves that people should eat beef stew instead of hamburgers and french fries.
Actually I can live happily without eating beef or lamb, but can't exist without chicken and pork meat. These were the staples of central Europeans since at least 3k BCE in this region. This could be the reason they taste so good to me.

I hope the Inuits and other natives can go back to their natural diet of seals, wiled game, their organs and fish to get rid of rampant diabetes and other maladies they experience ever since white man changed their menu to more "civilized".

This thread has been viewed 181426 times.

Back