Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Are you vegetarian (and why) ?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

137 77.84%
  • Yes,but not always

18 10.23%
  • Yes, I don't like meat

7 3.98%
  • Yes, I don't want to kill animals

5 2.84%
  • Yes, because of my religion

1 0.57%
  • Yes, I am vegan (no animal product at all, including eggs and milk)

8 4.55%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you vegetarian ?

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Kirei_na_me

Quote Originally Posted by kirei_na_me
    This is the second time I've heard you mention being from the South. Which part? I grew up in NC.

Oh, and I love my grill too! I can make some delicious vegetables on the grill. Yummm...
    I grew up in Alabama. After I graduated high school, I joined the National Guard and went to college at U.S.A. in Mobile. When I turned 20 though I joined the Marines and well the rest is history! (still kicking myself for that decision!) But I wised up (after 13 years) and went back to the civilian life!
    Last edited by mdchachi; 27-06-04 at 06:31. Reason: fixed quote tag

Knight Achievements:
    1 year registered

"If it has 4 legs and it's not a table, eat it!"

Duo,

There are even people who call themsleves "Fruitarians" because they only eat fruit, nuts, and seeds, which does not kill the whole plant.

They probably end up killing themselves due to starvation.

[QUOTE=CC1][QUOTE=kirei_na_me]This is the second time I've heard you mention being from the South. Which part? I grew up in NC.

Oh, and I love my grill too! I can make some delicious vegetables on the grill. Yummm...

I grew up in Alabama. After I graduated high school, I joined the National Guard and went to college at U.S.A. in Mobile. When I turned 20 though I joined the Marines and well the rest is history! (still kicking myself for that decision!) But I wised up (after 13 years) and went back to the civilian life!
    semper fi!

But thank you for the work you did in uniform.

Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Quote Originally Posted by Golgo_13

Duo,

There are even people who call themsleves "Fruitarians" because they only eat fruit, nuts, and seeds, which does not kill the whole plant.

They probably end up killing themselves due to starvation.
    It's just so ridicilous. Sometimes thinking really is a gift and a curse.

ZZzzzzz... Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    British

IM 100% NON VEGITARIAN meat is the best food around i love to get a big slab of steak and eat it with my hands i guess it fufills the non-devloped urge lol

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

I've heard of "something-ism" that only eat fallen fruit. they dont even eat fruit from stores. it must have been fallen naturally. Strange :O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Duo
    Im not a vegetarian, but lately I have decreased my meat intake just because I feel it's healthier to eat more vegetables and less meat. Also, I think that fish is a better protein source than lets say beef, or watever. However, I wont say no to some juicy pork ribs or a Pita.

No offense to anyone, but I also think that some people became vegetarians just because it might be trendy at sometime.
    Im with you here. Im also not a vegetarian but as U said, i also watch over my intake. More vegetables makes me feel healthier but i still need/want the meat.

As someone said before, the best thing is balance, nothing can beat that

One In Exile Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    white english

No, some times i ahve wanted to stop eating meat. But i dont have it in me, still when i eat some meat it goes through my mind how it may have been killed.
    Luke - Nice guys always lose

Club Tocoo Cheap Japan Hotels, Best on the Web.

Just some dude.... Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    .25 Irish, .25 Finnish, .25 German, .25 Swiss

So I just got done watching "Meet Your Meat", and while what it showed is obviously cruel, it hasn't changed my mind about eating meat. I think something needs to be done about the cruelty to the animals, but I will still eat meat, because I think it is healthy in moderation, and meat is part of the life cycle (IMO). I wonder if there a way to find out if certain meats have been killed humanely or not? Isn't Kosher meat supposed to be like that?
    Never trust a white man driving a black van, he's just saving all his voodoo for you.

Knight Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Knives
    IM 100% NON VEGITARIAN meat is the best food around i love to get a big slab of steak and eat it with my hands i guess it fufills the non-devloped urge lol
    Steak and A-1 Sauce!

You can't beat that combo.

人間と人形は同じ。 Achievements:
    1 year registered

I am a vegetarian sympathizer, however, there are three caveats to my support for people who make this choice:

* No cosmetics! At the worst, perfume from a floral source.
    * I don't want them bitching at me when I eat meat, because I can go months without, but I don't, because I eat what I can in front of me. And for those saying it's cruel to kill animals...
    * I eat meat as rarely as possible because I cannot go out to the countryside with a katana and cut myself up some dinner. If you kill an animal, eat it, unless it's natural vermine (rats, flies, pigeons/seagulls)
    The difference between men and puppets is only by who controls the string.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by cross-platform
    I wonder if there a way to find out if certain meats have been killed humanely or not? Isn't Kosher meat supposed to be like that?
    On the contrary, kosher slaughtering is the exact opposite of killing "humanely". The animals' throat is cut open & they bleed to death:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2977086.stm

The Funky Homosapien. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Cape Verden/Canadian/Mixes

No.. I am not for killing animals... but.. McDonald's is just too tempting lol

America, land of opportunity, mirages and camouflages - more than usually
    Speakin loudly, sayin nothin, you confusin me, you losin me
    Your game is twisted, want me enlisted - in your usary
    Foolishly, most men join the ranks cluelessly
    Buffoonishly accept the deception, believe the perception

Gag me with a spoon Achievements:
    1 year registered

I'm vegan.

I like talking to vegans. Most of them are vegan because of their 'humanitarian' ways. But ask any vegan who is vegan because of this, if they eat brocolli. If they do, they are ingnorantly hypocritical. Why? Well to refrain from eating things because of 'feelings of pain' is one thing, but brocolli has a central nervous system. What does that mean? It can feel pain.

*rim-shot* I always love bringing that up to other vegans.

The Funky Homosapien. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Cape Verden/Canadian/Mixes

Quote Originally Posted by Winter
    I'm vegan.

I like talking to vegans. Most of them are vegan because of their 'humanitarian' ways. But ask any vegan who is vegan because of this, if they eat brocolli. If they do, they are ingnorantly hypocritical. Why? Well to refrain from eating things because of 'feelings of pain' is one thing, but brocolli has a central nervous system. What does that mean? It can feel pain.

*rim-shot* I always love bringing that up to other vegans.
    Ahhh.. Brocolli feels me eating it ? Great.. now I'll be afraid to eat brocolli from now on.. lol

Knight Achievements:
    1 year registered

I eat meat but I don't like the idea of hunting and shooting animals just to kill it and mount its head on a wall.

I felt so bad for the tiger in FLorida that some idiot was keeping as a pet, and escaped and had to be killed.

Achievements:
    1 year registered

I took this poll earlier, but in reviewing my answer, I don't think I ever explained why I was a vegetarian, which was part of the question. My parents were vegetarians due to religious and health reasons. So since I was raised a vegetarian, it came naturally to me, but I remain a vegetarian today not for any religious reasons but strictly for health reasons, as well as my love of animals. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, which means I do eat dairy products, such as milk, eggs, and cheese. Since I was raised a vegetarian, I'm not sure I could eat meat, only because now I have some type of psychological block associated with it. For instance, I remember watching "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson once where a woman (I think she was from France) brought him a worm pie as a gift. It was considered a delicacy. He looked like he was going to gag but tried to be polite and said he's eat it later. Yeah, right. Well, that's how I feel towards meat since I was raised not eating it. Somehow I can't get the eating animal flesh out of my mind, whereas for most people, that's no big deal! It's completely normal to them. But it's so foreign for me that's it's quite repulsive, actually. Sorry if that offends anyone! Anyway, hopefully, that answers the question better!

Captain of the Vessel Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Dutch

I like meat, but I can understand veggies

The Lazarus Heart Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Caucasian

I've actually considered becoming a vegetarian a few times, simply because it's healthy. But it's hard when you've had meat in your diet your whole life. I don't think I'll ever be able to push myself hard enough to do it.
    ~*~ Gackt - Lust For Blood ~*~
    If it'll make this pain in my heart go away
    Just kill me already
    Don't make a sad face
    I'd like for at least you to smile
    At least in the end

...My friend made me open a Myspace account. Check it out...

無修正! Achievements:
    1 year registered

To each his own I suppose, but I'm tired of hearing the vegetarian == healthy myth. Sure, a salad is better than eating greasy bacon cheeseburgers every day, but I think the healthiest way of all is a balanced diet with moderate amounts of meat and fish and lots of fruit and vegetables.

Protein deficiency can lead to serious illnesses. Being a healthy vegetarian is more than simply taking the meat out of your favorite dishes; without the meat you generally need to add and combine several ingredients in order to get a complete protein. Also, many vegetarians end up with heart disease because they resort to eating lots of high-cholesterol foods like eggs and cheese for their protein.

Cat lover Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!

I am no vegetarian, as I love meat too much to give it up.
    I simply love chicken and turkey to give it up....
    I eat a lot of vegetables, (for some, too much veggie).
    I can live without meat for a long time, as I eat vegetables and fruit a lot, but would not give up meat....

Banned Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

I love to eat. Food is my hobby. But my high fat, high sugar American diet is taking its toll. I think my days of Burger, fries and a coke are ending.

I try to eat less meat. Especially red meat-- I think chicken and fish are fine.
    My doctor would like me to become a vegetarian because I have a weak liver. I also weigh too much. I can go weeks without meat, but I miss it (no moral qualms here). I also miss Pepsi and chocolate. I avoid the stuff, but it keeps finding me. I also eat very little dairy- somewhere along the way I became lactose intolerant. Right now, I'm eating everything I can get my hands on.

Soy and rice. Fruit and salad. Nuts, nuts, nut...sigh...

By the way, it occurs to me that the best way to save any species on the planet is to eat it or make it a pet. Cows, chickens, pigs, and house pets will never be extinct.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Japan; England; Hungary; Italy; Ireland

Not a chance in hell. I couldn't live without tonkatsu and burgers.

Pink Lady's Number 1 Fan! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African-American

I enjoy vegetables, especially corn (YUM!) and I have a healthy serving every day. But I gotta have my dead animal too!
    "It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

Custom Graphix Artist Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    The Entire UK and Germany

Well know heres something. I read this on a t-shirt a few times. here it is

"VEGETARIAN:Ancient tribal slang for village idiot who cant ride, fish or hunt"

LOL.

Oh heres another one. Everyone knows about PETA right. well heres what it stands for:
    "People Enjoying Tasty Animals" (theres room for all of gods creatures, next to my mashed potatoes and gravy.

@ Flash Jeff:

Beef its whats for dinner tonight" Remember this from the Beef TV commercials on the cable and satillite networks.
    gTo every man there comes a time in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.h

Sir Winston Churchill

ohayo otaku:) Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    caucasian

welp, i not a vegetarian, butidont eat a lot of red meat. maybe 2-4 times a month. i used to eat more, but lately, i have been improving my diet. evryones metabolism is diff, so id say that being vegan from birth would cause less issues, but changing altogether can cause problems, as was the case with a vegan friend of mine, who after being vegan for 4 years, developed blood type problems due to a lack of certain proteins, iron, and some other nutritional elements that upon the advise of his doctor,
    had to start eating meat again. he is much better now with no blood problems. but i also have friends that have been vegan all there lives and have no problems. if i had to eat one food for the rest of my life it would be sushi. such a healthy food. fish for protein, fats. rice for carbs, kelp for all kinds of minerals and nutrients including sodium, and fruits and vegetables for natural sugars, and vitamins. yummmm......right now i eat a lot of chicken and fish, ocasionally pork, but not often. there is no moral implications as far as im concerned. hunting animals is a constant throughout 80% of all species on earth. some native americans ate a lot of red meat, yet were still in general, very healthy ppl. but they also got a lot of exercise, and ate a plethora of fruits, vegetables, roots, spices, etc, to create a balanced diet. so i dont "feel" bad for the animals we eat, it is a natural process that exists everywhere in the circle of life and survival. i dont eat processed foods however, when i can help it. i cook 90% of my own food, because i feel safer and the food is much better.
    here is an example of the hardees thickburger > i found these were amusing statistics:)

the hardees 2/3 lb bacon cheese thickburger contains -
    total calories - 1,340
    fat calories - 870
    % of calories from fat - 65
    total fat - 96 grams
    saturated fat - 40 grams
    cholesterol - 205 mg
    sodium - 2,110 mg
    protein - 56 grams
    fiber - 5 grams
    carbs - 60

whoa, no wonder america has a weight problem. to work off the calories in this burger, you would have to take a brisk 22 mile walk. and some ppl pound down those things 2-3 a day! disgusting america has become a country of indulgence and convenience....
    I JUST SHOT SMACK INTO BOTH MY EYEBALLS, WHOOOAAAHHH!!!!!, BLAAARGGGG.....

Pink Lady's Number 1 Fan! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African-American

Quote Originally Posted by Martialartsnovice
    Oh heres another one. Everyone knows about PETA right. well heres what it stands for:
    "People Enjoying Tasty Animals" (theres room for all of gods creatures, next to my mashed potatoes and gravy.

@ Flash Jeff:

Beef its whats for dinner tonight" Remember this from the Beef TV commercials on the cable and satillite networks.
    HAHAHAHA! Martial, that PETA joke was a keeper! Oh, yeah, I remember those beef commericals, just like I recall those spots for pork, a.k.a., "the other white meat".

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast