Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Are you vegetarian (and why) ?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    137 77.84%
  • Yes,but not always

    18 10.23%
  • Yes, I don't like meat

    7 3.98%
  • Yes, I don't want to kill animals

    5 2.84%
  • Yes, because of my religion

    1 0.57%
  • Yes, I am vegan (no animal product at all, including eggs and milk)

    8 4.55%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 309

Thread: Are you vegetarian ?

  1. #76
    Custom Graphix Artist Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    23-10-04
    Location
    My Own World
    Age
    31
    Posts
    23


    Ethnic group
    The Entire UK and Germany
    Country: United States





    Hey to all the Vegans. I dont mind veges. But I dont see how vegeans eat all of these strange dishes such as Tofu Burgers, and Tofu Hotdogs. Whats next tofu Spam, or tofu steaks.
    “To every man there comes a time in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”

    Sir Winston Churchill

  2. #77
    wait up! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    TwistedMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-03-04
    Location
    www.twisted-irony.com
    Age
    37
    Posts
    251


    Ethnic group
    ..still at it?.. go away!
    Country: Sweden



    Someone once said "my ancestors worked their arses off getting to the top of the food chain, and I'll be damned if I let all that work go to waste!".

    I agree with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martialartsnovice
    Hey to all the Vegans. I dont mind veges. But I dont see how vegeans eat all of these strange dishes such as Tofu Burgers, and Tofu Hotdogs. Whats next tofu Spam, or tofu steaks.


    nice juicy tofu steak, anyone?
    夜露死苦!

    www.twisted-irony.com - Webcomic. updates=bad
    I find affence at your post as I ware eyeglass and have lmited site.
    Sankyuu~!

  3. #78
    The Lazarus Heart Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Japanimaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-10-04
    Location
    USA - Maryland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31


    Ethnic group
    Caucasian
    Country: United States



    Tofu burgers aren't all that bad, actually ^.^
    ~*~ Gackt - Lust For Blood ~*~
    If it'll make this pain in my heart go away
    Just kill me already
    Don't make a sad face
    I'd like for at least you to smile
    At least in the end

    ...My friend made me open a Myspace account. Check it out...

  4. #79
    Pink Lady's Number 1 Fan! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Flashjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-12-03
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    82


    Ethnic group
    African-American
    Country: United States



    I tried eating tofu once. Styrofoam had more taste! UGH! As for Spam, someone should outlaw that stuff! Double UGH!!!!

    "It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

  5. #80
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    misa.j's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-05-04
    Location
    NYS, US
    Age
    47
    Posts
    234


    Ethnic group
    Asian
    Country: United States



    I eat what I like to eat and try to keep a balanced diet. Vegetables are delicious either raw or cooked, but I usually have them cooked since I can have more of them that way.
    Poultry and seafood are the ones I eat most often for protein, rarely game meat such as venison or grouse if I am lucky.

    Japanese people are known to have a healthy diet which is one of the factors of their long life span, funny thing is though, they are not afraid of fat so much; I used to eat a lot of pork with a white juicy fat around it.

  6. #81
    Casual Observer Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Bob in Iowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    24-11-04
    Posts
    48


    Country: United States



    I love fresh tofu, especially the firm type with a kindof coarse texture. I wouldn't want to rely solely upon tofu for my protein, however. Give me a couple of pork chops, some grilled onions, a nice green salad, and a side order of tofu.

  7. #82
    Cat lover Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Miss_apollo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-03-04
    Age
    40
    Posts
    315


    Ethnic group
    I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!
    Country: Denmark



    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Iowa
    I love fresh tofu, especially the firm type with a kindof coarse texture. I wouldn't want to rely solely upon tofu for my protein, however. Give me a couple of pork chops, some grilled onions, a nice green salad, and a side order of tofu.
    I love tofu too....however, I don't like some of the vegetarian dishes which have tofu instead of meat.
    I am no vegetarian, so I prefer meat in my lasagne..... I once ate a "veggie lasagna" with tofu and kidney beans instead of meat, and it tasted funny in my opinion....

  8. #83
    Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-04-03
    Location
    The EU capital
    Posts
    655
    Points
    12,140
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,140, Level: 33
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Belgium



    yeah i'm with u there, can't give up meat. It makes me think though, being a vegetarian, i think the moral reason for it is completely fallable and contradictory. I don't want to kill another being so i just eat plants. But plants are alive just like animals, i don't know to me it doesn't make any sense, but i respect the decision however, i won't buy into that kind of moral justification.

  9. #84
    Casual Observer Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Bob in Iowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    24-11-04
    Posts
    48


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_apollo7
    I love tofu too....however, I don't like some of the vegetarian dishes which have tofu instead of meat.
    I am no vegetarian, so I prefer meat in my lasagne..... I once ate a "veggie lasagna" with tofu and kidney beans instead of meat, and it tasted funny in my opinion....

    I agree, Miss A. Tofu is not an acceptable substitute for meat, in my opinion. Also, I see no need to disguise tofu as anything other than what it is, because I love the taste of tofu by itself, or, better yet, with some bonito flakes, soy sauce, and chopped green onions.

  10. #85
    Cat lover Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Miss_apollo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-03-04
    Age
    40
    Posts
    315


    Ethnic group
    I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!
    Country: Denmark



    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Iowa
    I agree, Miss A. Tofu is not an acceptable substitute for meat, in my opinion. Also, I see no need to disguise tofu as anything other than what it is, because I love the taste of tofu by itself, or, better yet, with some bonito flakes, soy sauce, and chopped green onions.
    Yes, I love tofu with soy sauce and bonito too! And in miso soup!

  11. #86
    Custom Graphix Artist Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    23-10-04
    Location
    My Own World
    Age
    31
    Posts
    23


    Ethnic group
    The Entire UK and Germany
    Country: United States



    Okay, you guys have convinced me to try it. One question: How do these tofu burgers, taste with say, hot sauce. I was told, there gross, even plain.

    Is this true

  12. #87
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Shooter452's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-01-05
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Age
    70
    Posts
    96


    Ethnic group
    Heinz 57 variety




    Nope

    I am omivorous. I eat almost anything.

    I do obey the tribal custom of not eating my neighbor. Lucky for us both, given the price of tenderloin today.

    When on Okinawa, I was privilaged to enjoy the luxury of a Kobe beef supper. Wow! And just like at Benihana's on Peachtree Road in Atlanta, they cut, prepare, cook, and serve right in front of you! And the knife show ain't so bad either.

    I still do not favor kelp, so sushi is out. Shushimi is still in...love that wasabi horseradish!
    Last edited by Shooter452; 23-01-05 at 15:38. Reason: correction of spelling & syntax errors

  13. #88
    Chukchi Salmon Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-12-04
    Location
    Sunny South Korea
    Posts
    642


    Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian
    Country: South Korea



    99% Veggie

    I thought I posted sth. but I don't see one.
    Okay, I used to love meat when I was growing up.
    I ate vigorously for fear that a lack of it might make me sick.
    But I've changed.
    Vegetarianism was a new idea for me.
    I looked upon a veggie with simple awe, without thinking either good or bad.
    When I started cooking, I began to discover how good vegetables could taste. The nearly infinite variety of tastes possible with vegetables cannot be matched by meat dishes.
    If you really think about it, meat never tastes good on its own.
    In addition to salt, it needs pepper to neutralize the stench, and other vegetables to add to the taste.
    Even fresh meat makes me squirm.
    It just can't be clean; the beef industry is lying to you when they stamp a Grad-A on it.
    I sometimes miss meat, but never to a level of craving.
    I can go forever w/o meat, but not two consecutive meals w/o vegetables.
    I'm still omnivorous; but I love vegetables more by far.
    Rice is a vegetable, right? It ain't meat, at least.

    Edit: I DO enjoy a big, fat, juicy DoubleWhopper occasionally!
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

    --Zhuangzi

  14. #89
    The Lazarus Heart Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Japanimaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-10-04
    Location
    USA - Maryland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31


    Ethnic group
    Caucasian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter452
    And just like at Benihana's on Peachtree Road in Atlanta, they cut, prepare, cook, and serve right in front of you! And the knife show ain't so bad either.
    Not meaning to go waaaay off subject here, but did anyone happen to see Blue Collar TV a couple nights ago when they went to Benihana's? Hilarious...

  15. #90
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    I am a meat eater. I believe in a balanced diet and meat and veggies make a balanced diet. I enjoy good food and there is not a lot I will not try. Good meat cooked well is great, and the same can be said of veggie. What I don't understand is people who say they are vegetariian and eat fish? As far as I can remember form biology is that fish are a living animal.
    Just a side note, I have several vegetarian friends and they all have one complaint about a lot of restrant food. Why must they always have cheese on them?

  16. #91
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    I have been a vegetarian since I was 14, and on and off since I was 9 before that. I could no more eat meat than human flesh. It disgusts me. And I don't like tofu. I get my protein from beans, nuts, seeds and some dairy. I think I am healthier than most people - it is over a year-and-a-half since I even had a cold.

    I agree with your friends Mycernius - they put cheese in everything, and I don't like cheese much! Hay-on-Wye is the best place in the UK for veggie food. You are spoilt for choice, even if you are vegan.

  17. #92
    Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-04-03
    Location
    The EU capital
    Posts
    655
    Points
    12,140
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,140, Level: 33
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Belgium



    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    I have been a vegetarian since I was 14, and on and off since I was 9 before that. I could no more eat meat than human flesh. It disgusts me. And I don't like tofu. I get my protein from beans, nuts, seeds and some dairy. I think I am healthier than most people - it is over a year-and-a-half since I even had a cold.

    I agree with your friends Mycernius - they put cheese in everything, and I don't like cheese much! Hay-on-Wye is the best place in the UK for veggie food. You are spoilt for choice, even if you are vegan.
    I don't think being vegetarian makes one in a better condition health wise. Fact is that humans need both meat and plants. People can try to find alternatives to replace their protein intake but nothing will work as good as meat does. For example try to raise a newborn on a meat less diet and it may have dire consequences. The body in ardous condition needs a quik and fast and resourceful source of protein-- meat. It's true that too much meat can harm us, but a balanced diet is what is healthier for all of us. For example, vegetarians can't eat fish, which have good nutrients for our brain

  18. #93
    変な外人 Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    15-07-04
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    104


    Country: United States



    No, I am not a vegetarian. I need my share of fish, and red meat to survive. I'd hate to think what my diet would consist of if I was a vegetarian..

  19. #94
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Duo
    I don't think being vegetarian makes one in a better condition health wise. Fact is that humans need both meat and plants. People can try to find alternatives to replace their protein intake but nothing will work as good as meat does. For example try to raise a newborn on a meat less diet and it may have dire consequences. The body in ardous condition needs a quik and fast and resourceful source of protein-- meat. It's true that too much meat can harm us, but a balanced diet is what is healthier for all of us. For example, vegetarians can't eat fish, which have good nutrients for our brain
    I have been a vegetarian over half my life and I am perfectly healthy. I have never eaten fish, even when I did eat meat, and I can assure you my brain has not suffered. I actually feel quite insulted by the implication - smiley face aside.

    What examples can you give of the 'facts' you state, such as the 'dire consequences' of raising a newborn as a vegetarian? Without corroborating evidence it is hard to accept your statements. There have been numerous studies showing the health benefits of a vegetarian diet, for example:
    Here
    Here
    Here

    Please look at these links. I will concede that a vegetarian has to carefully plan their diet to ensure they take in all the necessary nutrients, but then a meat-eater has to take care to avoid eating too much fat and cholesterol.

  20. #95
    Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-04-03
    Location
    The EU capital
    Posts
    655
    Points
    12,140
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,140, Level: 33
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Belgium



    Exactly! I'm not advocating eating meat solely, rather a well balanced diet. Some vegetarians will stay away from dairy products and that is totally problematic for the body, sure you can try soy or what not but nothing beats milk, especially in growing kids. I'm glad that you are well off, i'm not suggesting you are stupid or not, I'm simply saying that is a known fact that fish have very good nutrients for our brains that help to increase our capacity if we begin to eat them at an earlier age. The problem with being a vegetarian, biologically speaking, is that you have to combine a range of things in order to create the same amount of protein intake as you would have if you just ate a steak. For example you may have to mix beans and rice and what not to have the same amount of protein that is found in just one regualar meat based serving. The links you provided say nothing of the side effects. They just provide common knowledge of the benefits of eating veggies. We all know that vegtables are safe and good and for us and won't damage us to an extent that meat does if we over eat them. But, that doesn't mean that veggies alone are enough to complement our necessity of nutrient intake. Look at the mediterranean diet; it's one of the healthiest in the world and is based on many meat and fish dishes as well as a copius usage of vegtables. Vegtables are good source of vitamins and what not on a daily basis when the body is in regular conditions, but when we are sick, nothing beats meat to help us get better. Ever wondered why chiken soup is so popular ; ? I never hear anyone saying oh u're sickk, lemme come over and make you some Brussels sprout soup, that will get you back on your feet in no time. Again, I have nothing against vegetarians, I'm just saying that eating only vegtables is not as as good as having a balanced diet of vegtables and meat. If our ancestors had eaten solely veggies when migrating from Africa to the Middle East and Australia and then later to europe, siberia and north america, we would have been dead long ago. Plants just don't have that ability to provide that much protein in tha small of an amount, and today it may be well and good to be a vegetarian due to our advances in technology and because we don't use our bodies as much as before, but back then meat was a necessity for us to be alive. Homo Robustus , a close relative of homo erectus was only able to stay alive, well until we won the contest, due to termites because they provided a good source of protein. I'm not trying to offend or judge your lifestyle, simply that being a strict vegetarian has many disadvantages and well despite how disgusting you may think it is, you need meat

  21. #96
    The sheriff Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-06-04
    Location
    Grantham
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46


    Ethnic group
    japanese and korean and american
    Country: United Kingdom



    does anyone eat nothing but meat?

  22. #97
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Duo -

    Again you have written a long list of statements with no evidence to back up your claims. I have provided information to support my arguments, and you ask why I have not provided any to support yours. OK, here is some information on the health risks of vegetarianism:
    Here
    Here
    Here
    I found it harder to find evidence of the risks than I did for the benefits, I wonder if that's significant?

    Chicken soup may be eaten when we have a cold, but it is also the most common cause of food poisoning! I don't have a link for that, I learnt it from a food hygiene course. I make a very effective and tasty garlic and chilli soup when I have a cold, but I don't have many colds so I haven't made it for quite a while.

    I agree that our prehistoric ancestors probably could not have survived without meat. That does not mean that it is necessary for modern humans to eat meat. Many archaeologists believe that some of our ancestors engaged in human sacrfice!For example

    I am also concerned with the contradictions in your argument. At one point you say "today it may be well and good to be a vegetarian", then later you say "you need meat". Which do you believe? Or aren't you sure?

    You state that "being a strict vegetarian has many disadvantages". I am not a strict vegetarian (vegan). I have tried it, but found it too difficult. I admire anyone who can succeed at it. I am too lazy to prepare everything myself, and I found the main disadvantage to be that it was too hard to find prepared vegan foods.

    I apologise if I have misled you by an ambiguity in my initial post. When I said that eating meat 'disgusts me', I was referring only to myself. If others want to eat meat that is their choice - my husband is a meat-eater. I just couldn't eat it myself. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not making that clearer.

    BTW, the health benefits are not my reason for being a vegetarian, just a bonus. Are there any animals you won't eat? Most meat-eaters I know couldn't eat cat or dog. I feel the same way about all animals.

  23. #98
    Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-04-03
    Location
    The EU capital
    Posts
    655
    Points
    12,140
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,140, Level: 33
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Belgium



    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    Again you have written a long list of statements with no evidence to back up your claims. I have provided information to support my arguments, and you ask why I have not provided any to support yours. OK, here is some information on the health risks of vegetarianism:
    Here
    Here
    Here
    I found it harder to find evidence of the risks than I did for the benefits, I wonder if that's significant?

    Chicken soup may be eaten when we have a cold, but it is also the most common cause of food poisoning! I don't have a link for that, I learnt it from a food hygiene course. I make a very effective and tasty garlic and chilli soup when I have a cold, but I don't have many colds so I haven't made it for quite a while.

    I agree that our prehistoric ancestors probably could not have survived without meat. That does not mean that it is necessary for modern humans to eat meat. Many archaeologists believe that some of our ancestors engaged in human sacrfice!For example

    I am also concerned with the contradictions in your argument. At one point you say "today it may be well and good to be a vegetarian", then later you say "you need meat". Which do you believe? Or aren't you sure?

    You state that "being a strict vegetarian has many disadvantages". I am not a strict vegetarian (vegan). I have tried it, but found it too difficult. I admire anyone who can succeed at it. I am too lazy to prepare everything myself, and I found the main disadvantage to be that it was too hard to find prepared vegan foods.

    I apologise if I have misled you by an ambiguity in my initial post. When I said that eating meat 'disgusts me', I was referring only to myself. If others want to eat meat that is their choice - my husband is a meat-eater. I just couldn't eat it myself. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not making that clearer.

    BTW, the health benefits are not my reason for being a vegetarian, just a bonus. Are there any animals you won't eat? Most meat-eaters I know couldn't eat cat or dog. I feel the same way about all animals.
    Well i said that today it is possible to be a vegetarian due to the advances in our daily life, but still one needs meat. Ummmm, i guess i wouldn't eat dogs and cats, unless if I have to survive. I might try them thought perhaps. I even tried chiken feet at a chinese restaurant once so a dog doesn't seem so bad compared to that , but umm i have also tried rabbits, and that bunny in your avatar sure looks tasty
    hehehehee, seriouusly though i know what you mean, but I just am trying to point out that although being a vegetarian has many good aspects, having a well balanced diet that includes meat is better and has many benefits, I mean ask any doctor or health expert.... now maybe for some overweight people or with colesterol problems staying away from meat is probaply best; i'm talking about people in normal health conditions.

  24. #99
    Where I'm Supposed to Be Achievements:
    1 year registered
    kirei_na_me's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-01-03
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    43
    Posts
    408


    Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)
    Country: United States



    I have my limits, as far as meat is concerned.

    I wouldn't eat dog or cat. I will not eat lamb or veal. I don't eat organs of animals. Well, to make it easier, I only eat beef, chicken, and seafood.

    When I stopped eating beef for a year, I felt much better healthwise. I'm seriously considering cutting it out again. I don't think I'm ready to give up my chicken or seafood just yet, though...
    You have bewitched me, body and soul...

  25. #100
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Duo -

    Please back up your arguments! You are simply restating your point with nothing to back it up!!! Most of the evidence I have found from doctors and health experts supports my argument. Find me something that supports yours!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •