• Yes,but not always

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Yes, I don't like meat

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Yes, I don't want to kill animals

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yes, because of my religion

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, I am vegan (no animal product at all, including eggs and milk)

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
I love fresh tofu, especially the firm type with a kindof coarse texture. I wouldn't want to rely solely upon tofu for my protein, however. Give me a couple of pork chops, some grilled onions, a nice green salad, and a side order of tofu.

Bob in Iowa said:
I love fresh tofu, especially the firm type with a kindof coarse texture. I wouldn't want to rely solely upon tofu for my protein, however. Give me a couple of pork chops, some grilled onions, a nice green salad, and a side order of tofu.

I love tofu too....however, I don't like some of the vegetarian dishes which have tofu instead of meat.
I am no vegetarian, so I prefer meat in my lasagne..... :) I once ate a "veggie lasagna" with tofu and kidney beans instead of meat, and it tasted funny in my opinion.... :blush:

yeah i'm with u there, can't give up meat. It makes me think though, being a vegetarian, i think the moral reason for it is completely fallable and contradictory. I don't want to kill another being so i just eat plants. But plants are alive just like animals, i don't know to me it doesn't make any sense, but i respect the decision however, i won't buy into that kind of moral justification.

Miss_apollo7 said:
I love tofu too....however, I don't like some of the vegetarian dishes which have tofu instead of meat.
I am no vegetarian, so I prefer meat in my lasagne..... :) I once ate a "veggie lasagna" with tofu and kidney beans instead of meat, and it tasted funny in my opinion.... :blush:

I agree, Miss A. Tofu is not an acceptable substitute for meat, in my opinion. Also, I see no need to disguise tofu as anything other than what it is, because I love the taste of tofu by itself, or, better yet, with some bonito flakes, soy sauce, and chopped green onions.

Bob in Iowa said:
I agree, Miss A. Tofu is not an acceptable substitute for meat, in my opinion. Also, I see no need to disguise tofu as anything other than what it is, because I love the taste of tofu by itself, or, better yet, with some bonito flakes, soy sauce, and chopped green onions.

Yes, I love tofu with soy sauce and bonito too! And in miso soup!

Okay, you guys have convinced me to try it. One question: How do these tofu burgers, taste with say, hot sauce. I was told, there gross, even plain.

Is this true

Nope

I am omivorous. I eat almost anything.

I do obey the tribal custom of not eating my neighbor. Lucky for us both, given the price of tenderloin today.

When on Okinawa, I was privilaged to enjoy the luxury of a Kobe beef supper. Wow! And just like at Benihana's on Peachtree Road in Atlanta, they cut, prepare, cook, and serve right in front of you! And the knife show ain't so bad either.

I still do not favor kelp, so sushi is out. Shushimi is still in...love that wasabi horseradish!

Last edited:
99% Veggie

I thought I posted sth. but I don't see one.
Okay, I used to love meat when I was growing up.
I ate vigorously for fear that a lack of it might make me sick.
But I've changed.
Vegetarianism was a new idea for me.
I looked upon a veggie with simple awe, without thinking either good or bad.
When I started cooking, I began to discover how good vegetables could taste. The nearly infinite variety of tastes possible with vegetables cannot be matched by meat dishes.
If you really think about it, meat never tastes good on its own.
In addition to salt, it needs pepper to neutralize the stench, and other vegetables to add to the taste.
Even fresh meat makes me squirm.
It just can't be clean; the beef industry is lying to you when they stamp a Grad-A on it.
I sometimes miss meat, but never to a level of craving.
I can go forever w/o meat, but not two consecutive meals w/o vegetables.
I'm still omnivorous; but I love vegetables more by far.
Rice is a vegetable, right? It ain't meat, at least.

Edit: I DO enjoy a big, fat, juicy DoubleWhopper occasionally! :cool:

Shooter452 said:
And just like at Benihana's on Peachtree Road in Atlanta, they cut, prepare, cook, and serve right in front of you! And the knife show ain't so bad either.

Not meaning to go waaaay off subject here, but did anyone happen to see Blue Collar TV a couple nights ago when they went to Benihana's? Hilarious...:p

I am a meat eater. I believe in a balanced diet and meat and veggies make a balanced diet. I enjoy good food and there is not a lot I will not try. Good meat cooked well is great, and the same can be said of veggie. What I don't understand is people who say they are vegetariian and eat fish? As far as I can remember form biology is that fish are a living animal.
Just a side note, I have several vegetarian friends and they all have one complaint about a lot of restrant food. Why must they always have cheese on them?

I have been a vegetarian since I was 14, and on and off since I was 9 before that. I could no more eat meat than human flesh. It disgusts me. And I don't like tofu. I get my protein from beans, nuts, seeds and some dairy. I think I am healthier than most people - it is over a year-and-a-half since I even had a cold.

I agree with your friends Mycernius - they put cheese in everything, and I don't like cheese much! Hay-on-Wye is the best place in the UK for veggie food. You are spoilt for choice, even if you are vegan.

Tsuyoiko said:
I have been a vegetarian since I was 14, and on and off since I was 9 before that. I could no more eat meat than human flesh. It disgusts me. And I don't like tofu. I get my protein from beans, nuts, seeds and some dairy. I think I am healthier than most people - it is over a year-and-a-half since I even had a cold.

I agree with your friends Mycernius - they put cheese in everything, and I don't like cheese much! Hay-on-Wye is the best place in the UK for veggie food. You are spoilt for choice, even if you are vegan.

I don't think being vegetarian makes one in a better condition health wise. Fact is that humans need both meat and plants. People can try to find alternatives to replace their protein intake but nothing will work as good as meat does. For example try to raise a newborn on a meat less diet and it may have dire consequences. The body in ardous condition needs a quik and fast and resourceful source of protein-- meat. It's true that too much meat can harm us, but a balanced diet is what is healthier for all of us. For example, vegetarians can't eat fish, which have good nutrients for our brain :)

No, I am not a vegetarian. I need my share of fish, and red meat to survive. I'd hate to think what my diet would consist of if I was a vegetarian..

Duo said:
I don't think being vegetarian makes one in a better condition health wise. Fact is that humans need both meat and plants. People can try to find alternatives to replace their protein intake but nothing will work as good as meat does. For example try to raise a newborn on a meat less diet and it may have dire consequences. The body in ardous condition needs a quik and fast and resourceful source of protein-- meat. It's true that too much meat can harm us, but a balanced diet is what is healthier for all of us. For example, vegetarians can't eat fish, which have good nutrients for our brain :)

I have been a vegetarian over half my life and I am perfectly healthy. I have never eaten fish, even when I did eat meat, and I can assure you my brain has not suffered. I actually feel quite insulted by the implication - smiley face aside. :(

What examples can you give of the 'facts' you state, such as the 'dire consequences' of raising a newborn as a vegetarian? Without corroborating evidence it is hard to accept your statements. There have been numerous studies showing the health benefits of a vegetarian diet, for example:
Here
Here
Here

Please look at these links. I will concede that a vegetarian has to carefully plan their diet to ensure they take in all the necessary nutrients, but then a meat-eater has to take care to avoid eating too much fat and cholesterol.

Exactly! I'm not advocating eating meat solely, rather a well balanced diet. Some vegetarians will stay away from dairy products and that is totally problematic for the body, sure you can try soy or what not but nothing beats milk, especially in growing kids. I'm glad that you are well off, i'm not suggesting you are stupid or not, I'm simply saying that is a known fact that fish have very good nutrients for our brains that help to increase our capacity if we begin to eat them at an earlier age. The problem with being a vegetarian, biologically speaking, is that you have to combine a range of things in order to create the same amount of protein intake as you would have if you just ate a steak. For example you may have to mix beans and rice and what not to have the same amount of protein that is found in just one regualar meat based serving. The links you provided say nothing of the side effects. They just provide common knowledge of the benefits of eating veggies. We all know that vegtables are safe and good and for us and won't damage us to an extent that meat does if we over eat them. But, that doesn't mean that veggies alone are enough to complement our necessity of nutrient intake. Look at the mediterranean diet; it's one of the healthiest in the world and is based on many meat and fish dishes as well as a copius usage of vegtables. Vegtables are good source of vitamins and what not on a daily basis when the body is in regular conditions, but when we are sick, nothing beats meat to help us get better. Ever wondered why chiken soup is so popular ; ? I never hear anyone saying oh u're sickk, lemme come over and make you some Brussels sprout soup, that will get you back on your feet in no time. Again, I have nothing against vegetarians, I'm just saying that eating only vegtables is not as as good as having a balanced diet of vegtables and meat. If our ancestors had eaten solely veggies when migrating from Africa to the Middle East and Australia and then later to europe, siberia and north america, we would have been dead long ago. Plants just don't have that ability to provide that much protein in tha small of an amount, and today it may be well and good to be a vegetarian due to our advances in technology and because we don't use our bodies as much as before, but back then meat was a necessity for us to be alive. Homo Robustus , a close relative of homo erectus was only able to stay alive, well until we won the contest, due to termites because they provided a good source of protein. I'm not trying to offend or judge your lifestyle, simply that being a strict vegetarian has many disadvantages and well despite how disgusting you may think it is, you need meat

does anyone eat nothing but meat?

Duo -

Again you have written a long list of statements with no evidence to back up your claims. I have provided information to support my arguments, and you ask why I have not provided any to support yours. OK, here is some information on the health risks of vegetarianism:
Here
Here
Here
I found it harder to find evidence of the risks than I did for the benefits, I wonder if that's significant?

Chicken soup may be eaten when we have a cold, but it is also the most common cause of food poisoning! I don't have a link for that, I learnt it from a food hygiene course. I make a very effective and tasty garlic and chilli soup when I have a cold, but I don't have many colds so I haven't made it for quite a while.

I agree that our prehistoric ancestors probably could not have survived without meat. That does not mean that it is necessary for modern humans to eat meat. Many archaeologists believe that some of our ancestors engaged in human sacrfice!For example

I am also concerned with the contradictions in your argument. At one point you say "today it may be well and good to be a vegetarian", then later you say "you need meat". Which do you believe? Or aren't you sure?

You state that "being a strict vegetarian has many disadvantages". I am not a strict vegetarian (vegan). I have tried it, but found it too difficult. I admire anyone who can succeed at it. I am too lazy to prepare everything myself, and I found the main disadvantage to be that it was too hard to find prepared vegan foods.

I apologise if I have misled you by an ambiguity in my initial post. When I said that eating meat 'disgusts me', I was referring only to myself. If others want to eat meat that is their choice - my husband is a meat-eater. I just couldn't eat it myself. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not making that clearer.

BTW, the health benefits are not my reason for being a vegetarian, just a bonus. Are there any animals you won't eat? Most meat-eaters I know couldn't eat cat or dog. I feel the same way about all animals.

Tsuyoiko said:
Again you have written a long list of statements with no evidence to back up your claims. I have provided information to support my arguments, and you ask why I have not provided any to support yours. OK, here is some information on the health risks of vegetarianism:
Here
Here
Here
I found it harder to find evidence of the risks than I did for the benefits, I wonder if that's significant?

Chicken soup may be eaten when we have a cold, but it is also the most common cause of food poisoning! I don't have a link for that, I learnt it from a food hygiene course. I make a very effective and tasty garlic and chilli soup when I have a cold, but I don't have many colds so I haven't made it for quite a while.

I agree that our prehistoric ancestors probably could not have survived without meat. That does not mean that it is necessary for modern humans to eat meat. Many archaeologists believe that some of our ancestors engaged in human sacrfice!For example

I am also concerned with the contradictions in your argument. At one point you say "today it may be well and good to be a vegetarian", then later you say "you need meat". Which do you believe? Or aren't you sure?

You state that "being a strict vegetarian has many disadvantages". I am not a strict vegetarian (vegan). I have tried it, but found it too difficult. I admire anyone who can succeed at it. I am too lazy to prepare everything myself, and I found the main disadvantage to be that it was too hard to find prepared vegan foods.

I apologise if I have misled you by an ambiguity in my initial post. When I said that eating meat 'disgusts me', I was referring only to myself. If others want to eat meat that is their choice - my husband is a meat-eater. I just couldn't eat it myself. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not making that clearer.

BTW, the health benefits are not my reason for being a vegetarian, just a bonus. Are there any animals you won't eat? Most meat-eaters I know couldn't eat cat or dog. I feel the same way about all animals.

Well i said that today it is possible to be a vegetarian due to the advances in our daily life, but still one needs meat. Ummmm, i guess i wouldn't eat dogs and cats, unless if I have to survive. I might try them thought perhaps. I even tried chiken feet at a chinese restaurant once so a dog doesn't seem so bad compared to that :p, but umm i have also tried rabbits, and that bunny in your avatar sure looks tasty :blush:
hehehehee, seriouusly though i know what you mean, but I just am trying to point out that although being a vegetarian has many good aspects, having a well balanced diet that includes meat is better and has many benefits, I mean ask any doctor or health expert.... now maybe for some overweight people or with colesterol problems staying away from meat is probaply best; i'm talking about people in normal health conditions.

I have my limits, as far as meat is concerned.

I wouldn't eat dog or cat. I will not eat lamb or veal. I don't eat organs of animals. Well, to make it easier, I only eat beef, chicken, and seafood.

When I stopped eating beef for a year, I felt much better healthwise. I'm seriously considering cutting it out again. I don't think I'm ready to give up my chicken or seafood just yet, though...

Duo -

Please back up your arguments! You are simply restating your point with nothing to back it up!!! Most of the evidence I have found from doctors and health experts supports my argument. Find me something that supports yours!

This thread has been viewed 181424 times.

Back