• Yes,but not always

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Yes, I don't like meat

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Yes, I don't want to kill animals

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yes, because of my religion

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, I am vegan (no animal product at all, including eggs and milk)

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
That doesn't make meat any less essential than vegtables. Our body and our nature is to have the ability to intake both plants and meat. This is undeniable. True an exess of meat can cause several health problems, as can an exess of the same kind of vegetable or fruit. There are many benefits to our bodies that come from meat. For example fish contains phosphorous that stimulates brain growth and is advised by doctors to be taken by mothers during their pregnancy. Meat is very good source of proteins, especially when the body is lacking condition and needs a fast revitalization. Most of the dietary experts say that a balanced diet is the best. Vegetarians put an interesting spin on the dietary condition of our society, espeically in the US. When you are a vegetarian you are more careful at what you eat, ie you also tend to avoid junk foods and other such preservative filled intakes. Then data is collected and obviously vegetarians will appear in better condition than some. And then they will say well the difference is that we are vegetarians and the rest eat meat, when in fact their health problems could come from greasy foods ie pizza, potato chips, over intake of sodas and what not.

In the mediterrenean people seem to be perfectly well living with a diet of both meat and vegtables. In fact in Italy we see some of the highest life expetancy rates from people who have eaten the same kind of diet for ages, incuding both meat and vegies. And furthemore, in North America most of the veggies are gm...i don't know that I wouldn't trust gm foods by having a diet made up exlusively of them.

Duo, do you mind if we move this over to the thread Maciamo created, Are you a vegeatarian?? We seem to be discussing the general issue of "vegetarianism" rather than "mulluscs" or "if vegetarians eat mulloscs or not."

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, Maciamo, in your OP you made the statement:

Maciamo said:
This may be true for the conventional meat like beef and pork, but not for fish, who do not really suffer when dying (research have shown that their brain is not developed enough to feel pain).​

I want to reply with "fish do feel pain" but am not sure if I should make a seperate thread to defend "why they do so", or let this thread evolve to include that. If I do it in this thread it will be a little off-topic but since you brought it up in the OP I thought that it may be acceptable here, as well.

Let me know. If I don`t get a reply from you on where I could place it, I will do so on my own and then if you think it should be in a better place, then you can re-locate it. -- Thanks.

Hi Duo,

Thanks for moving that over. Sorry I haven`t had a chance to reply. I`ve been busy lately and may stay so for the next week or two. If I get some time I will pop in and continue the discussion. Thanks. -- SVF

In the mediterrenean people seem to be perfectly well living with a diet of both meat and vegtables. In fact in Italy we see some of the highest life expetancy rates from people who have eaten the same kind of diet for ages, incuding both meat and vegies. And furthemore, in North America most of the veggies are gm...i don't know that I wouldn't trust gm foods by having a diet made up exlusively of them.

Exactly, we are genetically like our ancestors. Our ancestors lived in certain regions for thousands of years, and evolved to make the best form foods native to their region. We are generally the healthiest if we consume the food groups of our ancestor’s diet, but always with moderation.
The extreme example of this is Eskimo’s diet of fresh liver. This was the only substantial source for vitamins and minerals if you lived there. If there were ever vegetarian Eskimo, they died long time ago and their kids too. Through thousands years of evolution, all Eskimo or Inuit people love taste of fresh, warm liver.

Try to be a vegan for more than 10 years without vitamin B12 supplement, most likely few others. You’ll start falling apart and die prematurely. This is how superior and healthy strict vegan diet is! For most of us omnivores no supplements are necessary for long and healthy lives, but remember about moderation. And if you use sun block and live in Northern latitude take vitamin D3 pills.

Exactly, we are genetically like our ancestors. Our ancestors lived in certain regions for thousands of years, and evolved to make the best form foods native to their region. We are generally the healthiest if we consume the food groups of our ancestor’s diet, but always with moderation.

I agree. Our ancestors were primarily hunters (rather than gatherers) for almost as long they they walked up straight. Cro-Magnons painted hunting scenes (bisons, horses, deer...) not gathering scenes. They were meat eaters, who complemented their diet with the occasional fruits in season.
Let's not forget two essential differences between the Ice Age (which had alreday started when Homo Sapiens appeared 100,000 years ago and ended only 10,000 years ago) and now :

1) big mammals were much more common during the Ice Age than now. Many of these species are now extinct, like the mammoth, the auroch or the tarpan. Gazelles, elephants, lions and other animals now confined to sub-Saharan Africa could be found in the Middle East, North Africa and southern Europe even after the Ice Age, until the antiquity. Bears and wolves were quite common until a few centuries ago because there was enough game to feed them. During the Ice Age, humans would have been just one of the carnivorous predators among a plenitude of big game. It was a very different world.

2) Most fruits and vegetables that are now common in our diet either did not exist yet, or were confined to a small region of the world. Before the widespread use of agriculture a few thousands years ago, cereals and vegetables were virtually absent from human diet. Many were developed through cross-breeding and selective breeding, like most cabbages and cereals.

We now eat bananas, mangos, lychees or Sharon fruits as if they had always been there, but only a few decades ago such tropical fruits were almost impossible to find in Europe. Many people assume that apples, pears, peaches, oranges, plums or cherries are the true native fruits of Europe that Cro-Magnons could have picked up in trees when they were hungry. Too bad, there weren't any for most of them. Apples and cherries both originated in Anatolia, and were not widespread around Europe until Roman times. Peaches and apricots both originated in China, while oranges came from Southeast Asia. They only reached Europe in historical times. As for pears and plums, the varieties we know today are recent artificially cross-bred species. Gages for example were developed from a tiny wild plum in 16th-century France.

The only fruits that prehistoric Europeans would have eaten are nuts and berries (though not the huge modern strawberries but the wild variety no larger than a raspberry). In winter, their diet would have been almost exclusively meat.

Our bodies are not designed by evolution to eat the fruits and vegetables we eat nowadays. We are carnivores who became omnivorous due to the recent invention of agriculture, and the even more recent spread of fruit and vegetable varieties across continents. Many human allergies are caused by plants, pollens, cereals (gluten allergy) and fruits (e.g. peanut allergy), not meat (except some seafood, which our ancestors didn't eat).

Last edited:
Iam not a vegetarian, but there are moments that iam considering....

I started with Paleolithic food last year, and I think it is best diet for human.

Here are some links:

http://www.paleodiet.com/

Great web sight! That is the diet I also follow. I began eating a paleo/ primal diet a couple years ago for heart disease prevention. The reason being, a cardiologist I follow, that has had success reversing plaque growth in some of his patients, recommends a low carb version of the paleo diet.

Hrm, ..

I’m a strict vegetarian, though I do delegate the responsibility ……

Do you take vitamin b12?

Only insofar as the things that I munch on and that I have delegated my vegan diet to have it in their flesh! :rolleyes:

(You'll need to get used to my warped and at times rather disturbed {not to mention disturbing} way of thinking!) :confused:

I take one b12 a day since becoming a veggie but for the life of me I cant remember why!
O it's for that thing,
you know,
the whatchama call it ?

O Yeah my memory,
they work great:grin:

Starship

I don't feel a need to have supplements though. I get my whole daily need of B12 from milk and egg products, but I am by birth forgetful.

Starship

I don't feel a need to have supplements though. I get my whole daily need of B12 from milk and egg products, but I am by birth forgetful.

I didn't know milk and egg products were enough I thought the B12 supplement came from meat by product, have I been wasting my money on these bloody tablets so?.

I only started taking them after reading an article in a paper discussing vegetarian diet, should it only be taken by Vegans then?

No, I don't think you are wasting money to be safe. Your diet might not cover your daily need. But milk and egg contains b12. I drink about 5 dl milk a day, and eat egg products.

Vegetarian diet is nothing else than a consequence of anthropomorphism applied to food.

As I am quite thin, people think I don't eat meat, but I know plenty of people who eat meat that are quite thin.

This thread has been viewed 181869 times.

Back