Upcoming paper on medieval North African dna

Well, of course they did, in the sense that roughly similar people spread to all those areas, and all over Europe too as LeBrok pointed out, and not just Turkey but the whole Middle East, and they went south into Africa to create people like the Ethiopians and the Horners, and spread down into India too, to some extent, although perhaps mixed with a slightly different Near Eastern "farmer" group . Where have you been? The same thing happened in East Asia with their Neolithic migrations. Hunter-gatherers just can't compete with farmers.

When I say EEF I mean folks from Neolithic Turkey. EEF had many relatives in Western Asia, like CHG, but migrations by those relatives don't count as EEF migrations. It's like saying the Colonization of South America was done by French. I'm in doubt that real EEF, not relatives, ever lived far outside of Europe and Turkey.

I'm sorry to say that the fact that you're "tired" of seeing all the papers that prove this is irrelevant.

I'm "tired" in humorous way. Otzi's results were a surprise. Then Funnel Beaker girl Gok2 were a surprise. How could everyone in Europe in 3000 BC be so close to the little genetic isolates in Sardinia? And now North Africa! It's like one big joke.

Researchers should not reveal the facts about this aspect of ancient history and what percentage these ancient people contribute to modern people because they're not your "favorite" group? That's interesting in itself, by the way, given that you're probably at least 50% EEF.

I hope I'm 50% EEF that would be cool. I'm proud to have EEF ancestry. It's not like I care a lot about it, considering the same is true for billions of people. When has anyone been able to pin point an exact location a big chunk of their ancestors lived in 8,000 years ago? Never. So I feel lucky that i can pint point Anatolia.

Oh, and the steppe "Indo-Europeans" who came later and formed an elite in many countries had some specifically EEF ancestry by the time they reached central Europe, and the East, and in addition had a chunk of the Basal Eurasian that was also a part of EEF ancestry through their roughly 50% CHG. Not to mention that in my opinion everything other than the domestication of the horse they learned from heavily or at least significantly EEF like people.

I'm also proud that I have "Steppe" ancestry, Steppe+Anatolia Neolithic is basically what Europeans are. Pontic-Caspien Steppe and Anatolia are the mother lands. But of course EEF and Steppe were both hyprids who had ancestors who lived in other places. I'm not into Steppe=Horse riding badass. It wouldn't make sense if I was into that or any racist Nordic ideas, because I'm mixed. I don't know if you know this but I'm 25% Puerto Rican.

You might also want to remember that many of the ancient, great civilizations of the Near East to whom we owe so much in terms of metallurgy, urbanization, literacy, and on and on, including religion since you're religiously minded, were all developed by populations with significant EEF ancestry. We can add the Greek and Roman civilizations to that.

So, yes, I'd say they were a highly successful "race".

Ancient Middle Eastern civilizations were probably relatives though not EEF. It's debatable if they had lots of EEF ancestry. You can also add the British empire to that list. They weren't much less EEF than Romans. The divide between "Nordic" and anyone Nordic racists dislike because they're more swarthy, isn't EEF or Stone age Middle Eastern ancestry, it's slightly differnt ratios of ancestry from the same ancestors.

I'm glad to learn that more smart people take under consideration genetic importance in farming and farming lifestyle. It is a rather new radical idea and for most hard to stomach. However these are the consequences of new genetic research, either in population genetics, human genome projects and genetic anthropology. This is where new genetic knowledge is pointing us to. To our genes dictating aspects of our behaviour, culture, food liking, traits of character, music creation, political affiliations, beliefs in supernatural, discipline, love, strong will, addictions, or sense of justice.

you are reading what you want to read
name me 1 gen that does that
how do you explain agriculture in America, China and New Guinee?
agriculture develloped after LGM not because of genes but because of climatologic circumstances

Dienikes was correct Stone age Middle Easterners contributed a lot of ancestry to a lot of modern Eurasians. However he was wrong in thinking the common West Asian ancestor was a farmer. We now know Neolithic people in the Zagros mountains and Aegean were very differnt, and the ones from the Zagros mountains were similar to previous hunter gatherer populations in the Caucasus mountains. Farming spread with genes to Europe but it may not have in some parts of the Middle East.

The common Stone age Middle Eastern ancestor I'm referring to were hunter gatherers. They're the common ancestors of EEF and CHG. EEF and CHG were very differnt but clearly had a lot of shared ancestry that Paleo Europeans did not have. It's amazing Dienkes was able to determine all West Eurasians have lots of recent common ancestry and their common ancestors lived in the Middle East, but he was wrong that they were the first farmers. The first farmers from Levant or whereever they lived might not have contributed a lot of ancestry to a lot of modern people.

Also, I don't buy the idea Neolithic farmers laid the foundation of modern ethnicities or cultures. Everything in our way of life doesn't have to do with farming. Neolithic West Asia was not a womb of nations.

You are, in my opinion, basing your conclusions on questionable assumptions and a misunderstanding of the genetics of the people and of the processes involved in the Neolithic revolution.

First of all, we haven't yet seen the paper on the farmer from the Zagros, so we don't know exactly how different that genome was from the farmers to their west in the Anatolia of the same time period. The data may not absolutely support the conclusion in the abstract. Part of the sometimes mass confusion in this field is, in my opinion, that so many genetics researchers are not very skilled in the use of language. That's part of what makes Dienekes so unique. (Aegean farmer is a misnomer, in my opinion. I realize some people have latched on to that term, perhaps to "Europeanize" them, but until we have proof showing that they were very different from all the other Anatolian farmers, the best term is perhaps West Anatolian farmer. If anyone read the papers to which I linked, it seems that the archaeology shows that this northwest Anatolian Neolithic had heavy influence from Central Anatolia, but also from coastal areas to the south if I remember correctly.

Some of this will also be clarified when we have genomes from just south of the "heartland" in the Levant. Cyprus, and probably Crete were settled from the area where Anatolia and northern Syria meet. How different were they from farmers in the Troad? Nor do we know what the Mesopotamian farmers were like specifically as we have no genomes from that region. Your post shows a tendency common in some genetics enthusiasts of thinking that populations in a certain area were static over time, or not looking at the time differences between the various ancient samples. I would be very surprised if over time the farmers in the Middle East didn't become more and more similar, even if there might have been differences initially. After all, the Neolithic developed over a period of 5000 years before it moved out of the Middle East in any major way.

A related point concerns the CHG hunter-gatherer. That is a really ancient genome. It's not the genome of the people who brought the CHG like ancestry to steppe populations. We don't have a genome for them yet so we don't know. If, however, the gene flow took place during the Maykop period, for example, it did indeed occur by way of people who were "farmers". If the people who brought it arrived earlier over the Caucasus or from the east, but brought domesticated animals with them, again, they were "farmers".

I still see in your post some confusion about this most basic of points: everybody was once a hunter-gatherer. It's just that certain hunter-gatherers, in three widely spaced areas of the world, developed farming. You might want to take a look at some of the papers and indeed books on the nature of the Paleolithic/Mesolithic and the changes wrought by farming in the Neolithic. Dienekes wasn't speaking specifically of the EEF. He was talking about the spread of the genes carried by the Middle Eastern farmers, which of course were originally hunter-gatherer genes. You might want to read some papers or even books on the changes wrought by the Neolithic everywhere it developed and especially in terms of the effect on population growth and the spread of farming and animal husbandry, to be complete, through not just the technology, but the technology as brought by people . There are numerous papers showing the spread of the Neolithic farming settlements.

Hunter-gatherers, whether in Europe, Anatolia, the Levant, Russia, or where ever, lived in small, widely scattered bands, always on the verge of extinction. The only reason those alleles survive is because they were incorporated by those hunter-gatherers who developed farming, if you want to put it that way, and then spread by them even further.

This is all at the heart of Dienekes' post.

Also, re-read the Dienekes post more carefully. "Foundation" isn't the right word, or even necessarily the "majority" ancestry. It's more like "the tie that binds" or the glue, or the common thread, something like that. It's totally clear and the ancient dna analyses support the vast majority of what he says.

@Angela,

This looks like the most likely science: Farming began in the Middle East which had distinct races who had common ancestry and didn't spread with genes all the time, then those related but differnt races who learned how to farm expanded into Europe, India, etc. This isn't the same as a single race inventing farming and spreading the idea with their genes all over the place. I don't understand why this is so special. Farming changes lifestyle and its origins is important to human history, but there was no farmer race who can be considered the "womb of nations" genetically(culture is another debate).

First of all, we haven't yet seen the paper on the farmer from the Zagros, so we don't know exactly how different that genome was from the farmers to their west in the Anatolia of the same time period. The data may not absolutely support the conclusion in the abstract.

I trust them when they say the Zagros Neolithic woman was distinct from Neolithic Anatolians and more similar to earlier Caucasus hunter gatherers. They wouldn't have claimed this if the Zagros woman was very similar to Neolithic Anatolians.

Part of the sometimes mass confusion in this field is, in my opinion, that so many genetics researchers are not very skilled in the use of language. That's part of what makes Dienekes so unique.

I agree with this, however the absrtact about the Zagros Neolithic woman couldn't have been more clear and I don't see how it could be the result of a bad use of language.

(Aegean farmer is a misnomer, in my opinion. I realize some people have latched on to that term, perhaps to "Europeanize" them, but until we have proof showing that they were very different from all the other Anatolian farmers, the best term is perhaps West Anatolian farmer. If anyone read the papers to which I linked, it seems that the archaeology shows that this northwest Anatolian Neolithic had heavy influence from Central Anatolia, but also from coastal areas to the south if I remember correctly.

Yep, we have to wait for more ancient genomes to create more accurate names.

I would be very surprised if over time the farmers in the Middle East didn't become more and more similar, even if there might have been differences initially. After all, the Neolithic developed over a period of 5000 years before it moved out of the Middle East in any major way.

That would make sense but we still do know there was considerable genetic diversity in the Neolithic Middle East. The Caucasus mountains became much more EEF-like between 7000 and 2000 BC, but I think the population(s) who made them EEF like were relatives of EEF and not actual EEF. Because I know a lot about mtDNA, I know as well as anyone that modern Middle Easterners don't appear to be direct descendants of EEF. I'm skeptical about EEF ancestry being important anywhere outside of Europe.

A related point concerns the CHG hunter-gatherer. That is a really ancient genome. It's not the genome of the people who brought the CHG like ancestry to steppe populations. We don't have a genome for them yet so we don't know. If, however, the gene flow took place during the Maykop period, for example, it did indeed occur by way of people who were "farmers". If the people who brought it arrived earlier over the Caucasus or from the east, but brought domesticated animals with them, again, they were "farmers".

Yamnaya's CHG ancestors may have been farmers but that doesn't make them the same people as EEF.

Dienekes wasn't speaking specifically of the EEF. He was talking about the spread of the genes carried by the Middle Eastern farmers, which of course were originally hunter-gatherer genes.

Dienekes was claiming that farming always spread with genes and all the Middle Eastern farmers were the same people. It doesn't matter if Zagros and Anatolian farmers shared lots of distant ancestry, they were still genetically distinct. They weren't the same people. Middle Eastern farmers who shared distant pre-farming ancestry went all over the world and contributed of genes to people, but there was no "womb of nations" and farming race like Dienekes thought. It's historically and genetically significant but whatDienekes predicted isn't exactly correct.

You might want to read some papers or even books on the changes wrought by the Neolithic everywhere it developed and especially in terms of the effect on population growth and the spread of farming and animal husbandry, to be complete, through not just the technology, but the technology as brought by people . There are numerous papers showing the spread of the Neolithic farming settlements.

I understand farming is important to human history. I just don't think a region that farming expanded from with differnt races who were distantly related can be called a "womb of nations".

Hunter-gatherers, whether in Europe, Anatolia, the Levant, Russia, or where ever, lived in small, widely scattered bands, always on the verge of extinction. The only reason those alleles survive is because they were incorporated by those hunter-gatherers who developed farming, if you want to put it that way, and then spread by them even further.

Also, re-read the Dienekes post more carefully. "Foundation" isn't the right word, or even necessarily the "majority" ancestry. It's more like "the tie that binds" or the glue, or the common thread, something like that. It's totally clear and the ancient dna analyses support the vast majority of what he says.

And he was totally correct. He was just wrong to think there was a farmer race.

First of all, we haven't yet seen the paper on the farmer from the Zagros, so we don't know exactly how different that genome was from the farmers to their west in the Anatolia of the same time period. The data may not absolutely support the conclusion in the abstract. Part of the sometimes mass confusion in this field is, in my opinion, that so many genetics researchers are not very skilled in the use of language. That's part of what makes Dienekes so unique. (Aegean farmer is a misnomer, in my opinion. I realize some people have latched on to that term, perhaps to "Europeanize" them, but until we have proof showing that they were very different from all the other Anatolian farmers, the best term is perhaps West Anatolian farmer. If anyone read the papers to which I linked, it seems that the archaeology shows that this northwest Anatolian Neolithic had heavy influence from Central Anatolia, but also from coastal areas to the south if I remember correctly.

not only don't we know how different this Zagros woman was from Western Anatolians, we even don't know how many ka she lived
that is very important
cereal farming was devellopped in the Southern Levant and Upper Eurphrates area by Natufians 11.5 ka
but goat domestication started in the Zagros 14 ka
these were 2 different populations
by the time they came to the Marmara Sea area and Eastern Greece, 8.4 ka some admixture between both populations may have happened, alltough I don't think they had admixed 100 %, there is to big a majority of G2a2 Y DNA among the 8.4 ka Marmara Sea area and LBK (who are supposedly downstream of 8.4 ka Eastern Greece)

Fire Haired14;481622]@Angela,
This looks like the most likely science: Farming began in the Middle East which had distinct races who had common ancestry and didn't spread with genes all the time, then those related but differnt races who learned how to farm expanded into Europe, India, etc. This isn't the same as a single race inventing farming and spreading the idea with their genes all over the place. I don't understand why this is so special. Farming changes lifestyle and its origins is important to human history, but there was no farmer race who can be considered the "womb of nations" genetically(culture is another debate).

There you go again, using undefined terms and drawing conclusions not based on anything yet presented into evidence, to use a lawyerly term. Terms have to be defined and generally agreed upon. If there isn't a piece of evidence directly on point, all anyone can do is give an opinion, hopefully an education opinion, but an opinion none the less. Fire-Haired, please don't break the law, and if you do and are charged, never go on the stand. Any decent prosecutor would have you tied in verbal knots in minutes! :)

These aren't different races. There's a vast over-use of that term by amateurs in this field. If we were to speak of it in a general, modern sense, we have three roughly continental "breeding groups", perhaps West Eurasian, East Eurasian and Sub-Saharan African. Maybe you could add "Native American" and Australoid or Papuan New Guinea. All the people who first developed farming were West Eurasians from everything we know so far. There were different groups in the Middle East, not different races.

Were there differences between them? It seems there were; I'm not at all denying that, but by the time they moved out of the Middle East, five thousand years after farming first started, there was, in my opinion probably a certain amount of admixture. That's 5000 years, Fire-Haired. Even in Europe, where the H-G and farmer groups were living totally different lifestyles, there was some admixture, and a significant amount 2000 years in. Those in the west had some WHG, those to the east, perhaps CHG or something CHG like if the abstract turns out to be accurate. From everything we know so far, they perhaps both had a lot of Basal Eurasian, have you forgotten that? How different could they have been if they both turn out to have been around 50% Basal Eurasian, for goodness sakes? Then, one of the most interesting things in the Hofmanova paper is that pretty early there is a change that shows up even in what that paper calls the "Aegean farmers". That seems totally sensible. As I said, the archaeology shows movement from Central Anatolia to the northwest. The mistake you and some other enthusiasts are making is that you're, as I said above, assuming that the genetics stayed static in the Middle East. They didn't. At some point there was admixture.

I trust them when they say the Zagros Neolithic woman was distinct from Neolithic Anatolians and more similar to earlier Caucasus hunter gatherers. They wouldn't have claimed this if the Zagros woman was very similar to Neolithic Anatolians.

See above.

Yep, we have to wait for more ancient genomes to create more accurate names.

Finally, agreement.

That would make sense but we still do know there was considerable genetic diversity in the Neolithic Middle East. The Caucasus mountains became much more EEF-like between 7000 and 2000 BC, but I think the population(s) who made them EEF like were relatives of EEF and not actual EEF. Because I know a lot about mtDNA, I know as well as anyone that modern Middle Easterners don't appear to be direct descendants of EEF. I'm skeptical about EEF ancestry being important anywhere outside of Europe.

I'm not denying there was diversity. (See above) I'm sorry to say that the rest of this comment doesn't make any sense. You acknowledge my point, that the Caucasus, among other areas, became more EEF like as time passed, but they weren't EEF they were just relatives of EEF? Have you taken Shakespeare, yet, Romeo and Juliet?

"What’s in a name? That which we call a roseBy any other word would smell as sweet.
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. "

If they're more EEF like as time passes, it's because EEF like people moved there.

Yamnaya's CHG ancestors may have been farmers but that doesn't make them the same people as EEF.

I never said they were. Please see comments above and in prior posts.

Your initial comment, which sparked this debate, was your seeming disbelief that the EEF, or, in your terms, "Sardinian like" people had spread and dominated for a while North Africa in addition to the land mass from Ireland across Europe all the way to Turkey. We don't have access as of yet to North African ancient genomes, but it is my prediction that farming and animal herding spread there, as it did everywhere else, to our knowledge, with people. I think it is highly likely that those farmers, although they may have gotten some CHG by the time they got there, were more EEF like or rather, to be more precise myself in my language "Early Neolithic farmer like" than anything else. There, the farmers met the local hunter-gatherers, whom other analyses, although not ancient dna, have shown had quite a bit of WHG. There is no admixture analysis of which I'm aware that shows very much "West Asian" or Caucasus in North Africa, despite the Arab invasions which brought J1 and some J2, but I think that's because there was a massive founder effect for J1 in the Arabian peninsula, not because there are huge amounts of "Caucasus" there, although even the Bedouin have some, in so far as I remember.

There are already papers using ancient genomes which have modeled Ethiopians and Horners as "Sardinian like" plus SSA, and we know that Sardinians are the closest living people to the early farmers, although they're not identical to them. So, I think that covers that. How did these "Sardinian like" people get to Egypt and the Horn? Did they fly over the Levant, as I asked you before? I doubt it, so at some point, Sardinian like people seemed to have at least moved through the Levant, yes?

That leaves the Near East itself. We'll have to wait to see what genomes from the Neolithic and Chalcolithic in the Near East show, but from the evidence we have so far, my speculation is that just as EEF like genes moved from Anatolia toward the Caucasus, they probably moved down to the Levant if they didn't already exist there.

Dienekes was claiming that farming always spread with genes and all the Middle Eastern farmers were the same people. It doesn't matter if Zagros and Anatolian farmers shared lots of distant ancestry, they were still genetically distinct. They weren't the same people. Middle Eastern farmers who shared distant pre-farming ancestry went all over the world and contributed of genes to people, but there was no "womb of nations" and farming race like Dienekes thought. It's historically and genetically significant but whatDienekes predicted isn't exactly correct.

Yes, in so far as we can tell with our current samples and analyses, farming always spread with people. It was not spread anywhere that we know of by cultural diffusion alone. That great question which vexed archaeologists and geneticists and anthropologists for so many decades has been answered. As for the rest you're going around in circles. Dienekes wasn't talking about EEF versus other kinds of farmers. This was years before any ancient genomes had been analyzed. He's talking about "farmer genes" in general, genes present in the Near East, which of course originally were carried by h-g groups, which were brought to other parts of the world by farmers. They're what brings the fst so close for all the six groups he listed. I find it hard to believe you don't see the evidence and the logic here. Anyway, I can't explain it any better, so if you refuse to acknowledge it, there's nothing I can do about it.

This, by the way, is the area he was talking about, the one in red. As more recent papers have shown, I think the initial relevant areas extended to the Natufian zone in the Levant.

db_GobekliTepe_Urfa-Region9.jpg

not only don't we know how different this Zagros woman was from Western Anatolians, we even don't know how many ka she lived
that is very important
cereal farming was devellopped in the Southern Levant and Upper Eurphrates area by Natufians 11.5 ka
but goat domestication started in the Zagros 14 ka
these were 2 different populations
by the time they came to the Marmara Sea area and Eastern Greece, 8.4 ka some admixture between both populations may have happened, alltough I don't think they had admixed 100 %, there is to big a majority of G2a2 Y DNA among the 8.4 ka Marmara Sea area and LBK (who are supposedly downstream of 8.4 ka Eastern Greece)

That's how I see it as well.

These aren't different races. There's a vast over-use of that term by amateurs in this field. If we were to speak of it in a general, modern sense, we have three roughly continental "breeding groups", perhaps West Eurasian, East Eurasian and Sub-Saharan African. Maybe you could add "Native American" and Australoid or Papuan New Guinea. All the people who first developed farming were West Eurasians from everything we know so far. There were different groups in the Middle East, not different races.
According to Pedro Gómez Gómez 2013, Physical Anthropologist of the University of Oviedo: "There is no consensus about what are the limits to set the barrier of race between humans." The lack of consensus among the scientific community regarding the concept of race doesn't necessarily imply the absence of races. It is more a problem of establishing how many and which are necessary to start talking about racial differences.

So, as Firehaired believe, there could be several unrecognized biological races that actually are mostly found in admixed forms.

This is not a proof. We have not DNA results of the most ancient farmer group. I don't see easy that multiple unrelated human groups start to farm at the same exact time.

you are reading what you want to read
name me 1 gen that does that
There will be many genes discovered. Look at this as adaptation genes, like LP gene in areas with extensive cattle herding, like adaptation of skin for African and European UV radiation. As you know we just started to decipher DNA and function for most of it is still unknown. I'm just reading available clues and coming to certain conclusions. I'm glad others, especially coming as knowledgeable and intelligent, start seeing it too.
how do you explain agriculture in America, China and New Guinee?
Same as agriculture of Natufians.
agriculture develloped after LGM not because of genes but because of climatologic circumstances
How long was the process from increased consumption to becoming full farmers? Thousands of years perhaps?

The difference between us is you're fairly convinced farming expanded out of the Middle East with EEF-like or at least closely related people, while I'm more neutral and therefore skeptical of this idea. We both agree they were pretty related because they shared Middle Eastrern-specific ancestry and that they spread this Middle Eastern specific ancestry to other locations with farming. So are opinons aren't very differnt.

Fire-Haired, please don't break the law, and if you do and are charged, never go on the stand. Any decent prosecutor would have you tied in verbal knots in minutes! :)

I jay-walked today. Hope there were no cameras.

Race means an entity of people defined by common ancestry. That's it. In America we used to say "The Irish race", "The German race", etc. Originally in the English language race had nothing to do with white vs black etc. Later people used the that same word to designate people based on geographic origin/phenotype. When I use the term "race" in genetic discussion I'm usually not referring to people separated by continents, 10,000s of years of genetic separation, and noticeable differences in phenotype. So, while I agree with you "West Eurasian", "East Asian", etc. are the big genetic divides in humanity when I use the word "race" I'm usually not referring to such big divides. I use the word "race" because it's less wordy than "Genetically defined population". In English we don't have any-other word but "race" to describe differnt genetic groups; like EEF, CHG, WHG, etc. I wouldn't use that word in school, I use it on forums because it's less formal. So when I use the word "race" remember what I just described.

Were there differences between them? It seems there were; I'm not at all denying that, but by the time they moved out of the Middle East, five thousand years after farming first started, there was, in my opinion probably a certain amount of admixture.

Maybe. Modern near Easterners certainly are very related to EEF, but i don't think they're part EEF. I really have no idea how much the Neolithic revolution in the Middle East had to do with genes. I open to any theory. I wouldn't be surprised if it had little to do with genes.

If they're more EEF like as time passes, it's because EEF like people moved there.

Yeah but they weren't EEF. Cyrpiots are EEF-like and a better candidate than EEF for the people who mixed with CHG to help create Georgians.

Your initial comment, which sparked this debate, was your seeming disbelief that the EEF, or, in your terms, "Sardinian like" people had spread and dominated for a while North Africa in addition to the land mass from Ireland across Europe all the way to Turkey.

"Sardinian like" is the key word here. Ancient SouthWest Asian relatives of EEF should be closer to Syrians or Druze than Sardinians. Being apart of the big family EEF was doesn't make you Sardinian like. Ok maybe EEF did preserve some uqinue type of ancestry that was widespread in the Middle East, That's possible. In F3-stats Middle Easterners fit best as EEF+something else. So who knows. The Neolithic revolutuion might have had a lot to do with genes but it's not proven. The difference between you and me is you're more convinced it did.

That leaves the Near East itself. We'll have to wait to see what genomes from the Neolithic and Chalcolithic in the Near East show, but from the evidence we have so far, my speculation is that just as EEF like genes moved from Anatolia toward the Caucasus, they probably moved down to the Levant if they didn't already exist there.

I agree with that.

Yes, in so far as we can tell with our current samples and analyses, farming always spread with people. It was not spread anywhere that we know of by cultural diffusion alone. That great question which vexed archaeologists and geneticists and anthropologists for so many decades has been answered

For Europe and South Asia the question is answered but not for the Middle East.

As for the rest you're going around in circles. Dienekes wasn't talking about EEF versus other kinds of farmers. This was years before any ancient genomes had been analyzed. He's talking about "farmer genes" in general, genes present in the Near East, which of course originally were carried by h-g groups, which were brought to other parts of the world by farmers.

I agree 100% with that i just don't think that's what Dienekes said. Farming expanded among related hunter gatherers in the Middle Easters, and then Middle Eastern-specific ancestry expanded with farming to Europe and South Asia and North Africa(?). But I'm not as convinced as you expansion of farming in the Middle East had lots to do with genes.

I'm mostly neutral in this debate because I don't know very much about Middle Eastern diversity. I'm going up against you because you're not neutral. I do know CHG and EEF share Middle Eastern-specific ancestry but are significantly differnt, I just don't know how to quantify their difference. I also know that Middle Easterners today are much closer to EEF than CHG was, but once again I don't know how to quantify the relationship between modern Middle Easterners and EEF. I think you suggested this, that EEF is apart of a big farming family which went to the Caucasus and other parts of the Middle East and made the entire Middle East more EEF-like. That's possible I guess but there isn't much data to refute or confirm it.

They're what brings the fst so close for all the six groups he listed. I find it hard to believe you don't see the evidence and the logic here. Anyway, I can't explain it any better, so if you refuse to acknowledge it, there's nothing I can do about it.

I do see it.

This thread has been viewed 15202 times.

Back