The genetic structure of the world’s first farmers

IMO is pulled towards Steppe_MLBA (red squares), not towards Anatolia.

Same with Copper Age Iran compared to Neolithic Iran.

It shows that Steppe migration to that region was already in Copper Age.
If we assume that most of genome is from Iranian and Anatolian Neolithic, we still see them as exact mix of both, and Armenians located exactly halfway between them. We also see substantial pull towards EHG and the Steppe. In contract Chalcolithic Iranians don't have Steppe influence, and exactly composed of two Neolithics.
chart 1.jpg

IMO is pulled towards Steppe_MLBA (red squares), not towards Anatolia.

Same with Copper Age Iran compared to Neolithic Iran.

It shows that Steppe migration to that region was already in Copper Age.

The EHG admixture in Copper Age Iran equals that found in mesolithic CHG. On the other Hand EHG admixture in Bronze Age Armenia decreases drastically in comparison to Copper Age Armenia. This is much more complicated than that. imo, what we are seeing is Copper/Bronze AGE Armenia being dragged inbetween Anatolian_Neo and Iran_Neo. The western shift towards EHG on the pca can perfectly be explained with the more western situation of Anatolian_NEO in comparison to Iran_Neo which is more east but also significantly more North.

What people need to understand EHG was not exclusive to the Steppes so was not CHG/Iran_Neo to Caucasus, East Anatolia and Iranian Plateau.

I assume we will find EHG in South_Central Asia as well Iran_Neo in Neolithic South_Central Asia.

Last edited:
There is no evidence that Etruscan language is linked to ancient non-IE languages in the Anatolian area, except for some possible loanwords.

I suggest you to read this paper on the Demlfeld plate written in Reatic and found in Austria. According to scholars, the link between Etruscan and Reatic is very old.

https://www.academia.edu/5066954/La_lamina_di_Demlfeld_Considerazioni_storico_linguistiche

http://lila.sns.it/mnamon/index.php?page=Esempi&id=63&lang=en#418
"In the area" was very used very liberal, and axamples were various non-IE languages. I'm not saying anywhere that they are related to each other or originated in Anatolia. Take it easy dude.

:)
Right, let's discredit people who do extra stuff, instead of recognizing their efforts.

Or if it is r1b they find they become less dubious, but when it is r2 their dubiousity shoots the stars?

Genetiker is known as dubious Blogger since the day I know him, generally all bloggers are to some extend dubious this is why they are not pro scientists. Remember Genetiker claim still West EUropean paleolithic origin of R1b even after all the studies coming out and proving the opposite? :)

Also as I said in my very first posts, where there is R2, R1 can't be far away. If we found R2 we will find R1 too be sure and most likely basal R1b and R1a since it is today found on the Iranian Plateau such as Gogas R1a L62 but not in ancient Samara samples. I assume they came via South_Central Asia.

I wonder if a case could be made that it was in Basal Eurasians where the mutations for depigmentation first occurred, and they spread them to everyone else in the Middle East. After all, that's the genetic "tie that binds" all of them.

Perhaps, also, all the speculation about the Neolithic diet slowly selecting for the skin depigmentation also was on the right track.

We've been speculating for a long time about how these mutations could have wound up all over the world so early. I believe I suggested that perhaps it was a diffusion from the Near East in two directions: one into Europe from around Anatolia, and one over the Caucasus. Perhaps that is indeed the case.

I guess we'll see as more samples come in.

A word of caution about comparing "relative" levels of "fairness". We have very few samples. Also, to harp on again about the obvious, it's a combination of these traits that produces modern definitions of "fairness". One derived snp on one gene is not going to do it. So, if someone were going to compare people on both sides of the Caucasus (Yamnaya, for instance) all the snps would have to be compared, and in addition one would have to keep in mind the relative number of samples in both areas before drawing conclusions.

The lack of rs14etc "A' in the single Natufian is surprising because all other ancient Middle easterners have it. Angela might be on to something about farming making it more popular, but then again it was popular in SHG, EHG, CHG. It's still guessing work at this point. We can be confident though the "G' allele was selected agianst because most WHG had it and there's 10%-20% WHG ancestry in Europe. But it looks like the majority of West Eurasian's ancestors had "AA' in 6000 BC or earlier. By Mesolithic lots of people had a high frequency of 374f and rs14etc.

Tomenable, I don't see what sex slaves has to do with this:). Anyways obvisouly big blue eyes are going to be a noticeable novelty in Asia and a unique attractive trait, just as brown skin would be in Europe. I don't think we should always assume fair pigmentation is somehow special and favoured and has an evolutionary advantage. If it did then many more would have it in Asia. Selection can be neutral and go in both directions. In Sardinia for example less than 5% have blue eyes while in Neolithic Central Europe at least 1/3 did.

Alan;482392]The EHG admixture in Copper Age Iran equals that found in mesolithic CHG.

Well, not if we go by this chart, but the level of EHG in Armenia Copper Age is pretty close to that in CHG.*

Lazaridis Neolithic paper admixture chart.PNG

On the other Hand EHG admixture in Bronze Age Armenia decreases drastically in comparison to Copper Age Armenia. This is much more complicated than that. imo, what we are seeing is Copper/Bronze AGE Armenia being dragge towards Anatolian_Neo n comparison to Iran_Neo.

The western shift towards EHG on the pca can perfectly be explained with the more western situation of Anatolian_NEO in comparison to Iran_Neo which is more east but also significantly more North.

Well, it decreases in the Early Bronze Age, but it increases to the highest levels in the Middle/Late Bronze Age, so by then, whatever was the case in previous eras, there might have been movement from north of the Caucasus.

I agree that it's complicated, and I don't see this as a simple matter of steppe intrusion. Part of the difficulty in interpreting what we see is that we don't have an Armenian Neolithic sample. The other problem, as Lazaridis pointed out in his post, is that we don't know the geographical range of these ancient people.

Let's assume, for the moment, that CHG resulted from the admixture of a population similar to the Iranian Neolithic who moved slightly north and encountered EHG. Did they encounter EHG already south of the Caucasus? Or were the EHC only north of the Caucasus, but the resulting admixed population straddled the entire Caucasus range. These are things we don't yet know and may perhaps never know.

That's why I don't know whether there's a hard and fast case to be made that the Armenian Copper and Early Bronze Age results necessarily imply a move from the steppes, although there is the R1b result to consider.

By the Armenian Chalcolithic we actually see, as you say and as I pointed out upthread, that EHG has decreased at the expense of an intrusion of Levant Neolithic and WHG. Is that actually just a breakdown of the Anatolian Neolithic that arrived from the west? Does that make more sense than a migration of purely Levant Neolithic people all the way north?

Then in the Armenia Early Bronze the EHG declines yet again, perhaps by admixture by a population heavier in Iranian Neolithic?

Only in the Armenia Late Bronze Age do we see the EHG levels rise back to the levels of the Iran Chalcolithic. That's the strongest case for steppe intrusion, in my opinion.

I assume we will find EHG in South_Central Asia as well Iran_Neo in Neolithic South_Central Asia.

This is the confounding factor that might change all of this.

Angela said:
I wonder if a case could be made that it was in Basal Eurasians where the mutations for depigmentation first occurred, and they spread them to everyone else in the Middle East. After all, that's the genetic "tie that binds" all of them.

EHG, SHG or WHG* didn't have any Basal Eurasian ancestry yet many of them had these mutations.

Natufians had 50% Basal Eurasian ancestry and they were 100% dark -skinned, -eyed and -haired.

=======================

*WHG didn't have the 2 "major" skin-depigmenting SLC genes, but still had other depigmenting genes:

Villabruna had MC1R, rs1805007 (a mutation which causes red hair plus lighter skin, such a 2 in 1 package).

=====================

Věstonice Gravettians probably had SLC45A2, rs16891982 and MC1R, rs1805007. But they were Pre-WHGs.

There are more depigmentation genes than just SLC24A5 and SLC45A2. Many genes are 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 "packagaes", which affect pigmentation of more than one body part (for example they cause lighter skin + light eyes / light hair at the same time).

All darkening and lightening mutations will have a cumulative effect, contributing to an individual's pigmentation.

The Irish are so pale-skinned even compared to other Europeans because their red hair genes also lighten skin.

Of course 95+% of the Irish have SLC24A5, SLC45A2, and additional red hair + light skin genes.

Question is, how did someone without SLC24A5 and SLC45A2, but only with red hair + light skin gene, look like?

We probably still don't understand the impact of each individual gene and combinations of genes well enough to evaluate - for example - how light was skin of someone who did not have any of the two SLC lightening mutations, but did have some other mutations (like MC1R, rs1805007 or MC1R, rs1805005 - both of which are "2 in 1" packages which affect the pigmentation of both hair and skin).

Pigmentation traits are polygenetic, so they are probably influenced by dozens of genes, not just a couple of them.

Or what was skin colour of someone, who had both SLC24A5 ("Caucasoid light skin") and ASIP ("Veddoid brown skin"?).

Probably both genes influenced such a person's skin pigmentation, which ended up being "intermediate".

I guess I have to repeat myself again for the umpteenth time. A stray derived snp associated with depigmentation is not enough to make a person "European" fair. Plug the results from some of these people into a pigmentation predictor. One such snp is not going to result in a prediction of fair skin or fair hair or light eyes. That is a fact. It is the combination of snps that is important. That's why the genetiker results are so misleading for people who don't understand or don't want to understand how depigmentation works.

It's irrelevant that WHG had one such snp: they were dark skinned, darker skinned than any modern West Eurasians. UP Europeans were dark skinned, as was Mal'ta. It is what it is.

EHG and SHG did have these derived snps. They could very well have diffused northwards from the Caucasus, however. That's the possibility to which I was referring. We find "J" in Karelia, and a mtDna "H" far to the north. The selection there, once the mutation had arrived, could very well be based on the far more extreme lack of solar radiation. As to the Natufians, how many have been typed for these snps? Is it possible we got one of the ones who didn't show it?

The other alternative is that it occurred in some mixed group around the Caucasus and spread in both directions from there.

I'm throwing out various ideas here. I'm not married to any of them, but then I don't have this fixation with "fairness" and this burning desire to "claim" it for only one group of my ancestors, the "European" hunter-gatherers.

Honestly, I don't understand it. My father was blond and green eyed, both his parents were fair, the entire damn village where he was born was fair of eyes, skin and hair, two of my husband's four grandparents were fair, my own babies were blonde until at least their late teens, and one is green eyed, and I'm practically an albino in terms of skin color, yet I don't have this extraordinary attachment to it or any feeling it's somehow "better" in any objective sense. I'm certainly not desperate to claim it as some sort of prize for one of my ancestors at the expense of the others.

You people make me tired. The only reason I responded is so that people new to the discussion aren't misled. Other than that further discussion of it is useless.

Scholars do not support your ideas in this case, Angela:

Felix M. Key et al., 2016:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160318/ncomms10775/full/ncomms10775.html

Quote:

"Adaptive alleles - especially those associated with pigmentation - are mostly of hunter-gatherer origin"

EHG and SHG did have these derived snps. They could very well have diffused northwards from the Caucasus, however.

Caucasus hunters were derived only for one of these two SLC alleles, while most of EHG and many of SHG were derived for both. Also when do you think were they diffused from the Caucasus northwards ??? During the LGM ??? During the LGM migrations were from the North to the South, with people escaping southwards from advancing icesheets (see David Reich's recent study). So more likely during the LGM northern hunters diffused southwards, bringing adaptive alleles for northern climates with them.

EHG, SHG or WHG* didn't have any Basal Eurasian ancestry yet many of them had these mutations.

Natufians had 50% Basal Eurasian ancestry and they were 100% dark -skinned, -eyed and -haired.

=======================

*WHG didn't have the 2 "major" skin-depigmenting SLC genes, but still had other depigmenting genes:

Villabruna had MC1R, rs1805007 (a mutation which causes red hair plus lighter skin, such a 2 in 1 package).

=====================

Věstonice Gravettians probably had SLC45A2, rs16891982 and MC1R, rs1805007. But they were Pre-WHGs.

if someone was beeing simplistic he would simply say the pigmentation correlates with lattitude and UV radiation+ Neolithic diet. South Levant being one of the most sun heavy regions in Eurasia vs the Caucasus that looks in most regions actually like this. I think more "recent" waves of Levant, Anatolian and Iranian migrations "darkened" the regions slightly in comparison to the past, despite the North Caucasus especially being very well known for it's good share of very light pigmented people.

1340372024_ay7.jpg

Depite the Iranian Plateau being generally a sun heavy region, especially the more mountainous regions such as the Zagros and Alborz mountains look like this. And I assume during the mesolithic_neolithic these regions were even more green.

fdee05fd85b8458856ae98371019f5dc.jpg
Shadegan.jpg

cablecari.jpg

I still think there is, of course next to neolithic_diet, a strong enviromental factor to physical appearance. Remember the Kalash are genetically almost identical to the general Pakistani population (they even have less Steppe admixture than Pashtuns), yet they live at the greenish shores of the Hindu-Kush and are generally more known for their fair complexions.

Often the simplest explanation is the right one.

Last edited:
Alan;482392]The EHG admixture in Copper Age Iran equals that found in mesolithic CHG.

Well, not if we go by this chart, but the level of EHG in Armenia Copper Age is pretty close to that in CHG.*

View attachment 7815

Well, it decreases in the Early Bronze Age, but it increases to the highest levels in the Middle/Late Bronze Age, so by then, whatever was the case in previous eras, there might have been movement from north of the Caucasus.

I agree that it's complicated, and I don't see this as a simple matter of steppe intrusion. Part of the difficulty in interpreting what we see is that we don't have an Armenian Neolithic sample. The other problem, as Lazaridis pointed out in his post, is that we don't know the geographical range of these ancient people.

Let's assume, for the moment, that CHG resulted from the admixture of a population similar to the Iranian Neolithic who moved slightly north and encountered EHG. Did they encounter EHG already south of the Caucasus? Or were the EHC only north of the Caucasus, but the resulting admixed population straddled the entire Caucasus range. These are things we don't yet know and may perhaps never know.

That's why I don't know whether there's a hard and fast case to be made that the Armenian Copper and Early Bronze Age results necessarily imply a move from the steppes, although there is the R1b result to consider.

By the Armenian Chalcolithic we actually see, as you say and as I pointed out upthread, that EHG has decreased at the expense of an intrusion of Levant Neolithic and WHG. Is that actually just a breakdown of the Anatolian Neolithic that arrived from the west? Does that make more sense than a migration of purely Levant Neolithic people all the way north?

Then in the Armenia Early Bronze the EHG declines yet again, perhaps by admixture by a population heavier in Iranian Neolithic?

Only in the Armenia Late Bronze Age do we see the EHG levels rise back to the levels of the Iran Chalcolithic. That's the strongest case for steppe intrusion, in my opinion.

This is the confounding factor that might change all of this.

I see, the chart also shows that the EHG admixture throughout the Calcolthic and Bronze Age in Armenia equals that found in CHG and never surpasses that. What however does surpass is the WHG admixture that can be easily explained via Anatolian_Neo or Anatolian_Chl admixture. But I don't see how there is anymore EHG admixture in Bronze and Calcolthic Armenia in comparison to CHG.

WHG originated from Southern European LGM refugia 14,000 years ago:

(so no surprise that they were dark-skinned, since these are very sunny regions):

EHG were not just lighter-skinned, but also on average 10 cm taller than WHG.

Average height of 75 males from Mesolithic Russia (= EHG) was 173.2 cm.

Average height of 96 males from Mesolithic West Europe (WHG) was 163.1 cm.

Source:

Formicola & Giannecchini, "Evolutionary trends of stature in Upper Paleolithic & Mesolithic Europe", 1999.

=============
=============

Here a graph from David Reich's video lecture posted above (+ my additions):

hunters_Europe.png

WHG originated from Iberia and South-Eastern Europe 14,000 years ago:

(so no surprise that they were dark-skinned, since these are very sunny regions):

Yes and when they moved North and especially later when the adopted a Vitamin D poor Neolithic_Diet, the became fairer. They combination of Genes+enviroment+diet is the key.

Last edited:
And this is why I think PIE came from South :p they were freakn too "dark pigmented" for the lattitude they were living at. Their pigmentation and light eyes level was comparable to that found on the Iranian_Plateau and Anatolia today. But after they established themselves on the Steppes they went through a drastic shift towards light pigmentation.

Well I am on the Kortlandt's camp on PIE question. Primary homeland North of Caspian (Indo-Uralic stage), secondary homeland North of Black Sea (Indo-European stage).
From were they arrived North of Caspian (Khvalynsk, etc) is not that clear yet. Khvalynsk was EHG plus some CHG-ish admixture.

Genetiker wrote that Afontova Gora 2 who lived in Siberia 17,000 years ago was derived for SLC24A5 white skin mutation:

"(...) Mal’ta 1 had two copies of the ancestral allele of rs1426654, but Afontova Gora 2, an Upper Paleolithic hunter-gatherer who lived 17,000 years ago in Siberia, had two copies of the derived allele. This SNP is located in the gene SLC24A5, and its derived allele is one of the two major Caucasoid depigmentation mutations. The other major Caucasoid depigmentation mutation is the derived allele of rs16891982, in the gene SLC45A2. (...)"

So it seems that Caucasoid skin-lightening alleles originated from ANE. Was ANE admixture present in Neolithic Near East?

Because EHG definitely had ANE admixture. And SHG also had it (they were part-EHG). IIRC, CHG also had some ANE.

This thread has been viewed 218610 times.

Back