Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Do all Europeans have Semetic admixture?

Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 0%

2 members found this post helpful.

Do all Europeans have Semetic admixture?

Whenever any European runs the Dodecad or Eurogenes calculator they will end up getting a % of Southwest Asian, or Red Sea. At least, most of the Europeans that I see.

SW Asian and Red Sea percentages are Semitic correct?

VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by MINDustry View Post
    Whenever any European runs the Dodecad or Eurogenes calculator they will end up getting a % of Southwest Asian, or Red Sea. At least, most of the Europeans that I see.

what?

Genetics is not based on language
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-M222 (NW Irish)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1bi

Ethnic group
    Scots Appalachian ("Hillbilly")

With the amount of mixing and migration that has happened over the past few thousand years, I would say that the likelihood that a random European has absolutely zero Semitic ancestors anywhere in their family tree is quite low. This doesn't mean that Europeans have a lot of Semitic ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    what?

Genetics is not based on language
    This is correct for today, but most research into ancient ethnicity does in fact use language as a convenient proxy because it is much easier to identify and compare than it is to identify and compare how those people viewed themselves.

I know it seems odd to consider, for example, the idea that the Sumerians may have "become" Semitic when they assimilated into the Babylonian/Akkadian language, but that is how it is characterized in the research. Whether these people considered themselves to be "Babylonian-Speaking Sumerians", "Babylonians", "Other Semites", "Zardoofians", "Nequodonthianespzinkidarmodians", "Those people who wear blue coats", or "Other" can not be discerned today, nor can we just look in the Comprehensive Babylonian Encyclopedia of Ethnic, Cultural, and Linguistic groups to find out how Babylonian anthropologists classified them.

Banned Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 568

1 members found this post helpful.
    Not in general. SW Asian component came to Europe before Semitic languages even existed or were widespread. There is likely to be actual Semitic admixture (or rather, influence from people speaking Semitic languageS) in specific places though: Spain, Sicily, Malta, etc. where there was Phoenician influence on the coasts or a lot of assimilated Jews.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

You have no idea how many Jews were assimilated into European communities, or where, nor do you know how many Phoenicians actually settled in southern Europe, and nor does anyone else, unless you're aware of some paper analyzing ancient dna that none of the rest of us have seen. In terms of Sicily, you're talking about two emporia in one corner of the island.

In addition, the age of J2 and J1, the most likely candidate lineages, in southern Europe points to Bronze Age, way before the Phoenicians and Jews, at least from the information we have so far. Have you perhaps missed these discussions over at anthrogenica and here?
    Last edited by Angela; 27-07-16 at 05:27.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Gentlemen, do we have some tag teaming going on here? I don't take kindly to that sort of thing.

Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Not nessesarily, Ydna J, G and E clans were Early Farmers, these clans made their way north West into Europe and kickstarted the Neolithic Revolution. The Farmers whom stayed behind took part of Mesopotamia, Abraham's crossing to Judea and in a lesser extent the Indus Valley.

Here is a Wikipedia page to get you started on your reaserch if interested ;)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_Europe

Credit goes to Maciamo on these links
    http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml
    http://www.eupedia.com/europe/neolithic_europe_map.shtml

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

@orio_cookie, you can't just say things without providing evidence. You're just going to have Angela come after you again if you don't, not to mention mislead novices such as myself.

@Twlighit-awesome chihuahua in your avatar. I want one of my own. Or at least five.
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    @orio_cookie, you can't just say things without providing evidence. You're just going to have Angela come after you again if you don't, not to mention mislead novices such as myself.

@Twlighit-awesome chihuahua in your avatar. I want one of my own. Or at least five.
    Thank you, she's a 11 month old puppy Deer Chihuahua named Joey. Joey loves to go into pockets like a Joey Kangaroo :)

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    In addition, the age of J2 and J1, the most likely candidate lineages, in southern Europe points to Bronze Age, way before the Phoenicians and Jews, at least from the information we have so far.
    Then that is the same as what I said.. these lineages in Europe probably predate the Semitic languages as we know them today.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No worries, I plan to leave this forum for good. You can all enjoy yourselves without my presence and input, I am sure you'll all be thankful to see me go. I won't be the thorn in everyone's side any longer.

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by oreo_cookie View Post
    No worries, I plan to leave this forum for good. You can all enjoy yourselves without my presence and input, I am sure you'll all be thankful to see me go. I won't be the thorn in everyone's side any longer.
    That's totally untrue. You aren't the thorn in anyone's side, in fact you seem to offer a lot. Its your freedom to leave, but you seem to have absorbed quite a bit of knowledge over time and seem willing to help. You just need to post things that are backed up by studies and at times you do.
    I don't encourage you to leave even though it's your right to go.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

You are not leaving because some people don't agree with you on every point, are you?
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

I'd say a gnat. :)

Everyone is entitled to present their ideas here, you know, so long as they're civilly presented. Thing is you have to be willing to face challenges about them...no vast generalizations without supporting data, for instance.

This isn't theapricity; we don't ban people for disagreeing with us, or straying from the party line.

Oh wait, internet chatter says it's out for the count, right? I guess people are searching for a new home. Sort of like refugees.

Well, like actual refugees, if they find the atmosphere of a new place uncongenial, they can indeed leave.

Again, from my very limited experience with that site, there was an awful lot of drama, including tearful pleas for forgiveness, declarations of banning oneself, equally tearful returns, all that sort of thing. You won't find that here.

When my ten year old told me she was running away from home, I told her I'd help her pack. :)

Banned Achievements:

Level

Everyone is entitled to present their ideas here, you know, so long as they're civilly presented. Thing is you have to be willing to face challenges about them...no vast generalizations without supporting data, for instance.
    I'll consider it then, but as of now there are no studies that address the specific points I wish to see proven or disproven, and as such anything I could discuss on them is hypothesis based on an accumulation of 23andme results, GEDmatch results, PCA plots and so on.

If this is not the type of data and presentation that is wanted here, then it's not that I am leaving out of malice or to make people sympathetic toward me, it is that I may not have anything to offer here and no one will take it seriously.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

I'll consider it then, but as of now there are no studies that address the specific points I wish to see proven or disproven, and as such anything I could discuss on them is hypothesis based on an accumulation of 23andme results, GEDmatch results, PCA plots and so on.

If this is not the type of data and presentation that is wanted here, then it's not that I am leaving out of malice or to make people sympathetic toward me, it is that I may not have anything to offer here and no one will take it seriously.
    Well, I certainly don't take arguments based on unverifiable results from who knows whom, unscientifically collected and perhaps unrepresentative, from gedmatch and 23andme as dispositive of anything or even serious, so there you go, perhaps you're right.

Elite member Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 310

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Well, I certainly don't take arguments based on unverifiable results from who knows whom, unscientifically collected and perhaps unrepresentative, from gedmatch and 23andme as dispositive of anything or even serious, so there you go, perhaps you're right.
    Yes, he consider himself more scientific than academic studies, even if basically all of the Southern Italians and Sicilians I share fit perfectly on the average of academic samples...
    Last edited by Hauteville; 28-07-16 at 16:41.
    Sicilians and mainlander Southern Italian phenotype galleries.

http://italicroots.lefora.com/topic/1111/Re-Groups-of-Sicilians
    http://italicroots.lefora.com/topic/375/Southern-italians-how-we-really-look