Light skin genes: SLC45A2 has EHG origin, SLC24A5 has CHG origin (?)

Tomenable

Areas were CWC did not extend - France, Iberia, Italy, etc. - are still on average darker-skinned than Balts or Scandinavians.

The recent paper about the UK said lighter skin had been positively selected for.

If so it might be the case that x% of pigmentation genes arrived in different parts of Europe and in some places (more northerly) they were selected for and became 2x% and in other places (more southerly) they weren't selected for and stayed at x%.

I think the depigmentation genes came from both the north and the EEF with (imo) the EEF originally getting it from the north before they expanded into Europe (via a CHG-like intermediary population).

It's the WHG who don't seem to have had it - apart from eyes - something i think you can still see a trace of with the black hair / blue eyes type you see around the Irish Sea.

Very nice look, imo.

Aidan Quinn

0ea3d8bb63816bb9239872031f67be30.jpg

Henry Cavill:
908ebf9144baa884170cd124be1edfc2.jpg

However, I'm very partial to the Aidan Turner and Kit Harrington look as well. :)

poldark-image-aidan-turner.jpg

tumblr_mz4zgvnk4J1rtsxuto1_1280-e1390869271185.png

Love that Heathcliffe tousled curls look...:)

Not that the fairer version isn't very nice as well:
Michael-Fassbender-2013.jpg

Lots of variety in Europe nowadays.

Attachments

• michael-fassbender-new-york3.jpg
    michael-fassbender-new-york3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 54
I can't possibly see light-skin genes and Early European Farmers coming from the same source population. Maybe some Early European Farmer males carried Haplogroup R which may have brought light-skin genes, but this would be very far back and after that admixture being quite diluted. I read a study connecting the Early European Farmers to modern-day Armenians, whom they probably resembled. The dark hair, olive skin, and very elongated faces and noses seem to link them, only Armenians are brachycephalic.

The lightest-haired peoples are in the far northeast and rich in R1a, but also N1c1- and they are short and stocky, and have flat, broad faces and round heads. They seem to have the ability to become tanned by the sun in proper conditions.

No offense but your knowledge about European types seems a bit uperficial for shapes as for colour. Things are not so simple. And you are confusing modern Europoids differences in skin hues which are very slight compared to SSA or Veddoids or other Australoid influenced pops. Don't confuse basal skin colour and tanning. But as says Angela, it could be discussed in pigmentation or anthropology threads, and then we could exchange there.

You can't conclude that, or at least be certain in any way, because:
1. CWC didn't extend to Ireland where we can find lightest skin in Europe today.
2. CWC existed 4.5 kya. We know that lightening of skin was a long process and lasted till our times, and a lot changed in this regard in Northern Europe. You can't equal CWC genetics and light skin mutations in particular to modern Europeans. For that we need more research in all skin alleles and their phenotypical expression.

I agree concerning the CWC as cultural, but in some surveys about distances, Irish people show among the closest to CWC (auDNA).
CWC pops were not completely homogenous but they contained types we find today as a respectable to important part of the pops of Northern Europe. CWC contained I think respectable %s of HG elements, surely more on the EHG side than on the WHG one. That said, someones said the WHG arisen again in Europe was not exactly the same as the pre-Neolithic one, at least in some regions; so? Elements came back (mixed) from Northeast where they could have underwent pigmentation selection as others there? And it would be interesting to look at the Irish people 's mtDNA? Just rambling thoughts.

Average EEF skin colour was probably similar to that of Non-IE Mediterranean groups such as Etruscans:

We don't have Etruscan DNA yet. IMO, they'll turn out to be similar to modern Central/North Italians with a big a load of Steppe admixture. Etruscans didn't go extinct they were conquered and became Latin/Italian speakers.

Etruscans were a mix of diverse Neolithic people (not without some light taste of CHG) and Villanovian Italics and an elite of East Mediterranea origin, not too precisely localized; at least it's the last version of mainstream thoughts. As a whole, it it's true, they were not so different from other Central "Italians" of the time.

Very uneasy to guess where the 2 principal mutations gave birth. We can suppose where they developped, but with some caution and without too big precision: around Western and Northern Black-Sea? The selection of these genes could be linked to other genes - close on same chromosome - selected for other purposes than pigmentation, as proposed by others here.

Sorry - "found" birth

This thread has been viewed 18504 times.

Back