The Viking Slave Trade

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is a recent article which comes from the Nordic science site.

See:
http://sciencenordic.com/vikings-abused-and-beheaded-their-slaves

"Vikings abused and beheaded their slaves"

"The Vikings in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland had slaves, or thralls. These thralls probably held multiple roles, serving their masters in many ways in Viking society a thousand years ago.
They could also be given the ultimate rough assignment when important Vikings died.
Some followed their masters into the grave.
Few contemporary descriptions of Viking burials exist. But the Arab explorer Ibn Fadlān witnessed one such ritual when a Viking chieftain died. Fadlān had met the Eastern Vikings, also called Rūsiyyah, in what is now Russia:
“Six men entered the pavilion and all had intercourse with the slavegirl. They laid her down beside her master and two of them took hold of her feet, two her hands. The crone called the ‘Angel of Death’ placed arope around her neck (…) She advanced with a broad-bladed dagger and began to thrust it in and out between her ribs (…) while the two men throttled her with the rope until she died.” [From Ibn Fadlān’s Account as related in an article by James E. Montgomery, Cambridge, published in The Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies, 2000] (more text here"

Interesting that we were just discussing the film "The Thirteenth Warrior" on another thread.

It's always important to see ancient societies "in the round", so to speak, whether it's the Romans, the Conquistadores, or the Vikings, as here.

"As many as 10 percent of the population of Viking Scandinavia could have been slaves, according to the Norwegian website Norgeshistorie.no. These can have been kidnaped and forced into slavery. They can have been captured during Viking raids but they can also have simply sunk into debt and had to meet their obligations by entering into lifelong servitude.
In “Rigsthula”, which is one of the Edda Poems of Iceland, it is clear that the thralls comprised the lowest class in society. They were shouldered with the heavy and undesirable tasks on the farms, such as digging peat or watching over pigs, according to Norgeshistorie.no. They could also be exploited sexually."

"Several of these slave graves have one thing in common: The thralls did not end their lives in a peaceful way. Most of them had been abused, injured and decapitated before being laid to rest together with their masters."

This just can't be true! The Vikings were heroes who brought civilization with them wherever they went! We know so because they were part of the blond, blue-eyed master race, of course. Just wait for it LOL. Or better yet as a Slav I can't say anything bad about their history because apparently they were my ancestors (despite all genetic evidence to the contrary), and should instead claim their culture as my own. Sorry to bring this up here but those were some of the ideas to which I didn't take too kindly in another thread. It's also true that many of the Slavs, especially South Slavs in the Balkans, were sold as slaves by Vikings during raids.

What is this, a pre-emptive strike? Let's give people the benefit of the doubt, shall we? A lot of people who post here are actually academically oriented and interested in history and genetics in a somewhat objective way.

All ancient societies had slaves, and all of them to some degree or another mistreated their slaves. It's the way it was...

I downloaded this to read when I got some spare time.
https://www.academia.edu/8165454/A_...gy_of_medieval_slavery_in_Britain_and_Ireland

They raided all the way to Luni, which was a great Roman town on the Mediterranean. The ruins of the city are not very far from where I was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björn_Ironside

" In 860, Björn led a large Viking raid into the Mediterranean. After raiding down the Iberian coast and fighting their way through Gibraltar, Björn and Hastein pillaged the south of France, where his fleet over-wintered, before landing in Italy where they captured the coastal city of Pisa. They proceeded inland to the town of Luni, which they believed to be Rome at the time, but were unable to breach the town walls. To gain entry a tricky plan was devised: Hastein sent messengers to the bishop to say that, being deathly ill, he had a deathbed conversion and wished to receive christian sacraments and/or to be buried on consecrated ground within their church. He was brought into the chapel with a small honor guard, then surprised the dismayed clerics by leaping from his stretcher. The viking party then hacked its way to the town gates, which were promptly opened letting the rest of the army in. Flush with this victory and others around the Mediterranean (including in Sicily and North Africa) Björn returned to the Straits of Gibraltar only to find the Saracen navy from Al-Andalus waiting for him. In the desperate battle that followed, Björn lost 40 ships, largely to a form of Greek fire launched from Saracen catapults. The remainder of his fleet managed to return to Scandinavia, however, where he lived out his life as a rich man."

Am I supposed to hold a grudge against all modern Scandinavians?

Oh, see the following:
4e084f53f1049b5ba0f6c1287b28d703.jpg

...All ancient societies had slaves, and all of them to some degree or another mistreated their slaves. It's the way it was....

That's right. As much as I want to imagine myself as a descendant of tree-hugging Mists of Avalon type Celts, I know that it is a gross simplification and even a distortion of reality. Celts were often as bloodthirsty as their neighbors, and also had slavery as major part of their society (cf. St. Patrick). I can't think of a classical European people who didn't have slavery - Anglo-Saxons did, Romans did, Greeks did, etc.

The real goal for us, then, is not to poke fingers at each other trying to decide who was the worst, but to try to find a way to prevent these kinds of things from recurring.

What is this, a pre-emptive strike? Let's give people the benefit of the doubt, shall we? A lot of people who post here are actually academically oriented and interested in history and genetics in a somewhat objective way.

All ancient societies had slaves, and all of them to some degree or another mistreated their slaves. It's the way it was...

I downloaded this to read when I got some spare time.
https://www.academia.edu/8165454/A_...gy_of_medieval_slavery_in_Britain_and_Ireland

They raided all the way to Luni, which was a great Roman town on the Mediterranean. The ruins of the city are not very far from where I was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björn_Ironside

" In 860, Björn led a large Viking raid into the Mediterranean. After raiding down the Iberian coast and fighting their way through Gibraltar, Björn and Hastein pillaged the south of France, where his fleet over-wintered, before landing in Italy where they captured the coastal city of Pisa. They proceeded inland to the town of Luni, which they believed to be Rome at the time, but were unable to breach the town walls. To gain entry a tricky plan was devised: Hastein sent messengers to the bishop to say that, being deathly ill, he had a deathbed conversion and wished to receive christian sacraments and/or to be buried on consecrated ground within their church. He was brought into the chapel with a small honor guard, then surprised the dismayed clerics by leaping from his stretcher. The viking party then hacked its way to the town gates, which were promptly opened letting the rest of the army in. Flush with this victory and others around the Mediterranean (including in Sicily and North Africa) Björn returned to the Straits of Gibraltar only to find the Saracen navy from Al-Andalus waiting for him. In the desperate battle that followed, Björn lost 40 ships, largely to a form of Greek fire launched from Saracen catapults. The remainder of his fleet managed to return to Scandinavia, however, where he lived out his life as a rich man."

Am I supposed to hold a grudge against all modern Scandinavians?

Oh, see the following:
4e084f53f1049b5ba0f6c1287b28d703.jpg
You clearly misunderstood my post. In no way did I suggest holding a "grudge", simply that yes, there are Slavs on the forum who idealize the Vikings and wish to be seen as their descendants.

You clearly misunderstood my post. In no way did I suggest holding a "grudge", simply that yes, there are Slavs on the forum who idealize the Vikings and wish to be seen as their descendants.

Perhaps East Slavs. The Rus were Vikings after all...

The land of Rus'ia was originally inhabited by Slavs and Finnic tribes before the Vikings invaded. The Rus' Vikings left a very small genetic impact on the population.

True, but they were the founders of the state and so their legacy remains. Similar cases can be seen elsewhere eg, the Bulgars who founded the Bulgarian state but were outnumbered by Slavs and Thracians.

True, but they were the founders of the state and so their legacy remains. Similar cases can be seen elsewhere eg, the Bulgars who founded the Bulgarian state but were outnumbered by Slavs and Thracians.
Maybe architecture, but I really don't see much else.

Innovative entrepreneurs in the segment of green and renewable energy.
To be serious though I've recently read idea that whole viking phenomenon came to be as slave collectors for advanced economies of those days. Later of course they raided their customers too.

we all are more likely to be descendants of slave owners than slaves
a slave line had little chance on survival

I liked the serie.
They don't show on Belgian TV any more though.
And I checked a few facts, which proved historically correct.

This thread has been viewed 9616 times.

Back