Cargo Shorts-Yes or No?

[h=3]i wear Match Men’s Wild Cargo Pants and i recommend you to try this once[/h]

My husband and I both wear cargo shorts... when we are hiking. I can store that tick remover right where it's handy. That's what they are ideal for.

@Angela, I agree with your recommendation about buying the best quality ... I love the pink jacket.

My husband and I both wear cargo shorts... when we are hiking. I can store that tick remover right where it's handy. That's what they are ideal for.

@Angela, I agree with your recommendation about buying the best quality ... I love the pink jacket.

This was such a fun thread. All in good humor. :)

I adore Chanel type jackets. Unfortunately, even at my absolute skinniest I've always been too busty for them. You have to know your own body type as well as what is good design.

Gosh, I'm not as brave as you when I go hiking. I wear long pants, high socks, long sleeves, the works, but then we're infested with the ticks that cause lyme disease here. I know a few people who got it.

I'm worried about my dog now, and me, because he's taken to sleeping with me, even though I swore I wouldn't allow it.

We always had labrador retrievers, 80-110 pounds. They always believed they were lap dogs. As our last one got older, my oldest son put a ottoman next to his bed so "Gus" could get up on the bed easier at night. They do become one of our family members. I would love to have another dog now, but I'm looking at a Cavalier King Charles because it would really be lap sized.

We always had labrador retrievers, 80-110 pounds. They always believed they were lap dogs. As our last one got older, my oldest son put a ottoman next to his bed so "Gus" could get up on the bed easier at night. They do become one of our family members. I would love to have another dog now, but I'm looking at a Cavalier King Charles because it would really be lap sized.

Same here. :) He's already 60 pounds and he's only nine months old. He has no idea he's not supposed to be a lap dog. Every I sit down or go to sleep he plops down next to me or on me. If I'm cooking, he lays down at my feet. He's like a big shadow.

He's also a "licker". I swore I'd never allow that either, given what they lick, but all the "hygiene" rules seem to be going out the window. Those are his only "bad" habits really. Well, he's still digging holes. That's the last bit of training left. He's so good otherwise, a wonderful watch dog and protector, great with other dogs and our cats, walking next to me, not bolting, totally housebroken, no more chewing, not destructive, just a beautifully behaved dog, and the sweetest thing ever. He's the star of the dog park where I take him. Everybody wants to pet Polo. :)

It's hard to deny him the bed or the sofa, or refuse those kisses. Oh well, just more washing, of both the bedding and us. :)

CSIMG-102-1.jpg

A Brief History of Shorts

Great Britain, Gurkha soldiers, Bermuda and the Boy Scouts

“Shorts owe much of their contemporary origins to the military. Possibly the earliest example (1880’s) of modern-day shorts, is the uniform of the heavily respected Gurkha soldiers of the Nepalese army. (Much like our khaki shorts of today, but four generous pockets and a distinctive cummerbund waistband with buckles and adjustable straps) The British East India Company defeated the Gurkha soldiers in The Anglo-Nepalese War, but upon surrender had such respect for the bravery and ability of the Gurkha soldiers, that part of the treaty stipulated that Britain could employ their soldiers to fight alongside the British in future battles. Present day, it is a statue of a Ghurka soldier that stands guard in front of The Ministry of Defense at Whitehall, in the heart of the British Empire.

During World War I, Britain set up its North American Headquarters in Bermuda. There was a single tea shop on the island and because of the British soldiers, business boomed. The summer heat and the steaming pots of tea made the temperature inside the little tea shop often times unbearable. The owner, not wanting to spend money on new uniforms for his staff, took all the khaki trousers and cut them just above the knee. Rear Admiral Mason Berridge, who took his tea in this little shop, adopted the style for his fellow officers and named them “Bermuda Shorts”. The British Navy founded the yacht clubs in Hamilton & St. George, soon officers of the British Army serving elsewhere began adopting the smart looking, summer version of the khaki military uniform. Before long the men in London, who made such uniform decisions on behalf of the military, stated that standard dress was to be khaki shorts amongst all British soldiers serving elsewhere in the sub-tropics of The Old British Empire.

The local people of Bermuda certainly began noticing the smartly dressed British officers milling around the yacht clubs and tailors began copy and modify the style for civilian use. This helped to establish it and by the 1920’s it had become the standard business attire of the local men. At the time, Bermuda was a very popular steamship destination and tourists arriving for winter holiday helped to spread the style back to the United States and elsewhere around the world.

The style was also picked up by the Boy Scouts, whose founder, Lord Baden-Powell, himself a major General for the British Army. As these school children grew up and began to become adults in the world, gradually shorts became more acceptable in society, first, with outdoor activities like hiking and golf and then they made the very public jump to tennis. In 1932, when Britain’s top ranked tennis player, Bunny Austin appeared in the U.S. National Championships in Forrest Hills, Long Island, he wore flannel shorts instead of the standard white trousers.”

Source Link: https://www.oldbullshorts.com/history-of-shorts

“The pairing of the shorts with the socks came about during WW2 when there was a shortage of clothing in Bermuda. Legend has it that the managers of the two banks in Bermuda arranged for a local tailor to make two pairs of shorts for each of their male employees modeled on the shorts from the British Military that Coxon and Berridge had made famous. The employees were also supplied with long socks to wear with the shorts. The look was a success and local departments stores started selling the shorts in a range of bright hues and the rest of the world quickly caught on.

Too much leg?

However, many gentleman thought the shortness of Bermuda Shorts inappropriate. So a law was passed to ensure propriety and policemen, armed with a tape measure and warning tickets, scoured the island for men showing more the 6 inches of leg. Officially Bermuda Shorts should not be worn more then 6 inches above the knee, but 2-3 inches is preferable.

Today, Bermuda Shorts are the island's national dress and you will see businessmen wearing Bermuda Shorts with long socks and a blazer all year long.”

Source Link: https://www.tabsbermuda.com/pages/knee-deep-in-history

CSIMG-103-1.jpg

Statue of a Gurkha soldier at Whitehall, Westminster, England
CSIMG-104-1.jpg

Bermuda shorts
CSIMG-105-1.jpg

Boy Scouts demonstrating First Aid to General Baden-Powell, Vancouver, B.C. 1910

Sans Culottes: The French Revolution’s long vs short effect on men’s wear

“The name literally means ‘without culottes’, a culotte being a form of knee high clothing that only the wealthier members of French society wore. By identifying themselves as ‘without culottes’ they were stressing their differences from the upper classes of French society. Together with the Bonnet Rouge and the triple colored cockade, the power of the Sans-culottes was such that this became a quasi-uniform of revolution. Wearing culottes could get you into trouble if you ran into the wrong people during the revolution; as a result, even upper-class French people sported the sans-culottes clothing to avoid potential confrontations.”

Source Link: https://www.thoughtco.com/who-were-the-sans-culottes-1221898

“To call the French Revolution a watershed event would not be an exaggeration. Lasting from 1789 until 1799, this period of tremendous upheaval forever transformed France and its effects stretched far beyond the French borders. In Canada (or rather British North America), changes could not only be felt politically and socially, but even in the fashion realm as well.”

“The French Revolution really brought about the old cliche “clothes make the man,” because fashion became a political statement. No matter how rich a guy was, he was dressing like a commoner; like a san-culottes. Part of this was to save his neck. Literally. The other part was that the spread of democratic ideals meant a shift away from aristocratic symbols, particularly clothes. Lace cuffs, knee breeches, ruffles, frills, frockcoats, lighter colors, high heels, big wigs, the flamboyant Macaroni style—all of this fell out of favor. In its place came the rise of darker clothes, ankle-length trousers, matching jackets, suits, and short, natural hair. If that sounds kinda like modern masculine wear that’s because it is. The French Revolution (in addition to the American Revolution) sparked that lasting change because they were the start of the slow process towards the democratization of Western society.”

Source Link: https://cdnhistorybits.wordpress.co...ng-and-after-the-french-revolution-1790-1810/

CSIMG-106-1.jpg

Ancien Régime
CSIMG-107-1.jpg

Les Sans Culottes

CSIMG-130-1.png

Ok, my response is no and no and no. The pictures in the article say it all, but this is pretty good as well. Even the young look terrible, and as for older men, well, words fail me.

Ha. :) Interesting. Well, my vote goes for no in general to shorts of any kind for the city, for both men and women. In my opinion this garment in any form should be reserved for recreation or the countryside, aside from very young children. I do agree with you Angela that the shorts worn in the photo above are an eye-sore. But, that is because they are too big, sloppily worn and a particularly poorly made pair.

As per the cargo style of shorts being worse than others, my opinion is no. I don’t find anything wrong if worn properly, as in the right size, cut and fabric and only for casual wear. The problem is mainly in North America (and perhaps to some extent in the U.K.) in which shorts, not to mention pants in general, are worn too baggy or sloppy. I’m not just referring to the drop crotch gangster style that needs to suffer a death, but that too many NA men wear their clothes too large. As other’s have said, the side pockets do come in handy and I personally don’t find them particularly unsightly, when designed and manufactured well.

Somethng like these, I find perfectly fine for "bumming around" and not managing to look like a bum. :)

CSIMG-117-1.jpg

CSIMG-121-1.jpg

I actually own a pair of dark solid olive cargo pants to the ankle and with the closed ankle. There is a name for this style, that I forget at the moment and I love them. I have had compliments wearing them, so I think I am safe. They are my favourite go-to’s for running around getting chores done like going to the market, or road trips, antiquing. Funnily enough, I don’t wear them hiking or camping to save them from ruin. But, they aren’t made for those activities. The fabric is a brushed blend.

I would hazard to say that cargo-anything is an outdoorsy (and thus pocket-y) fashion genre that appeals to a certain taste and kind of clothing identity segment of the population, but not to everyone, of course. Like any style genre if made and/or worn badly, it becomes ripe picking for fashion policing.

If you have to wear shorts with pockets, please observe...Oh, and the tan is mandatory even if it has to be sprayed on. :grin:

Better yet:

CSIMG-131-1.png

There's just nothing particularly attractive about men's calves.

:unsure:Really? Oh, strong calves on a man are definitely attractive to me! This is a physical feature I notice and like. To me, good strong muscled calves say: hardy, active, robust and strong. This is my ideal:

CSIMG-128-1.png

:heart:

I guess, I am on the other side of the fence from this as well. I don’t care for skinny jeans on men and the only women they look marginally acceptable on are truly skinny young women. But, than I am not a fan of jeans to begin with.

As for tans, I don’t find having a tan to be mandatory for attractiveness . In fact, there are skin types that don’t tan well if at all and it’s unsafe to do so - just more pink to lobster or only a slight beige tan or freckles. I happen to be one those freckled paper-whities, so I have sympathy for the tanning handicap. But, also I just honestly don’t find really tanned particularly more attractive than not tanned. Fake tans, which I can spot from a mile off are horrid-looking, in my opinion. I hope that doesn’t offend, as I am all for vive la difference when it comes to personal taste. To me, whatever is natural to the person’s birthday suit skin tone with a bit of sun effect in the summer, so one doesn’t look like a vampire if naturally pale, is best.

If a man is going to wear shorts, which is let’s face it a warm weather garment, linen is the way to go. In my opinion linen is a beautiful and practical fabric for the heat, both tropical and dessert-like. When cut well as shorts they look great on young, old and in between, alike. For that matter, even full length linen trousers are comfortable in the heat and long pants have the added bonus of not looking quite as juvenile as do shorts for anything besides recreational activities.

CSIMG-122-1.jpg

CSIMG-123-1.jpg

CSIMG-124-1.jpg

CSIMG-125-1.jpg

CSIMG-127-1.png

Last edited:
Shorts are men’s best friends. Men's shorts have gone from knee length to cargos to above the knee length incorporating print, patterns, solid and textures. I have recently buy cargo short in Kenya.

^^Sorry, people. Yes, it's better if they fit properly, i.e.not too loose, and are clean. However, even then, a man in shorts doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Most men's knobby knees (I don't even like knees on women, and think a skirt hitting mid knee at the shortest is the most universally becoming.), and hairy, knotty calves (the ugliest part of a female ballerina's body is her feet, but second is her calves), or, even worse, bowed legs, pretty common among athletic men, and which is one of my husband's few flaws, are just not attractive, imo. Now, in the appropriate setting, I'm all for sleeveless shirts and singlets. :)

Ditto for pasty white skin, and I have it. Every little imperfection shows up, as Kristina pointed out above or in another thread, I'm not sure. You can see women's varicose veins from across the room practically, and "dimpling" or cellulite shows up much more, with age it can get covered with marks from sun damage, and it's often freckled if there are any genes for red hair in the family. My aunts tell me that as young girls or women they were constantly dabbing on milk, or buttermilk, all to no avail. One of my first cousins had so many freckles in the summer that they ran into each other and became big blotches. He had a cow lick too. He looked like a red-haired Dennis the Menace. I adored him. :) I would have liked to have my aunts' carnelian red hair, but I'm glad the freckles skipped me even though I carry one of the alleles for red hair.

Lady-with-an-Ermine-by-Le-006.jpg

Lady-with-Ermine.jpeg

Of course, tastes differ.

^^Sorry, people. Yes, it's better if they fit properly, i.e.not too loose, and are clean. However, even then, a man in shorts doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Most men's knobby knees (I don't even like knees on women, and think a skirt hitting mid knee at the shortest is the most universally becoming.), and hairy, knotty calves (the ugliest part of a female ballerina's body is her feet, but second is her calves), or, even worse, bowed legs, pretty common among athletic men, and which is one of my husband's few flaws, are just not attractive, imo. Now, in the appropriate setting, I'm all for sleeveless shirts and singlets. :)

Ah, so this more about what body parts and how or whether they are shown , rather than the clothes themselves? I hadn't considered this part of the equation, to be honsest, but in reading your replies, Angela and thinking how I look at "clothes and the man", body parts shown vs not shown I guess was not on my radar. You learn something new every day, as the saying goes.

I don't have the distaste for how you put it as "knotty kneees". Maybe I don't see them as much? As for sleeveless shirts on men; I detest them. So, you are quite right. Tastes do differ, substantially it seems.

Ditto for pasty white skin, and I have it. Every little imperfection shows up, as Kristina pointed out above or in another thread, I'm not sure. You can see women's varicose veins from across the room practically, and "dimpling" or cellulite shows up much more, with age it can get covered with marks from sun damage, and it's often freckled if there are any genes for red hair in the family. My aunts tell me that as young girls or women they were constantly dabbing on milk, or buttermilk, all to no avail. One of my first cousins had so many freckles in the summer that they ran into each other and became big blotches. He had a cow lick too. He looked like a red-haired Dennis the Menace. I adored him. :) I would have liked to have my aunts' carnelian red hair, but I'm glad the freckles skipped me even though I carry one of the alleles for red hair.

Lady-with-Ermine.jpeg

Of course, tastes differ.

I have the type of skin that is transcluecent and shows my veins. Never felt this was unsightly. But, then I grew up in a predominantly very pale Anglo-Saxon enclave, and this was the norm. For most of my what I shall call "younger days" life as in when I gave a ---- about negativity to physical characteristics, my freckles did bother me, as they tended to get noticed and remarks, mostly good-natured, simple kind of nicknames. But, being sensitive to marked out difference this was unwanted, so I did the usual lemon juice. That experiment lasted all of one try and I said, "Forget this silliness and live with it."

Those are some nice quality looking clothes, I had bought the same shorts for my boyfriend online when they were offering 25% discount. So, I bought it to go on a picnic & it was really comfortable as he says.

This thread has been viewed 18692 times.

Back