Ethnic group
Italian
Yes! Now it's filling in more.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)30850-8

Kilinc et al:

"The Demographic Development of the First Farmers in Anatolia"

"Highlights

• •​
    Pre-pottery farmers had low genetic diversity, akin to Mesolithic hunter-gatherers
  • •​
    Genetic diversity levels are higher in the subsequent Pottery Neolithic
  • •​
    Central Anatolian farmers belonged to the same gene pool as early European farmers
  • •​
    Copper Age genetic affinities suggest a second wave of Anatolian gene flow

Summary

The archaeological documentation of the development of sedentary farming societies in Anatolia is not yet mirrored by a genetic understanding of the human populations involved, in contrast to the spread of farming in Europe [ 1–3 ]. Sedentary farming communities emerged in parts of the Fertile Crescent during the tenth millennium and early ninth millennium calibrated (cal) BC and had appeared in central Anatolia by 8300 cal BC [ 4 ]. Farming spread into west Anatolia by the early seventh millennium cal BC and quasi-synchronously into Europe, although the timing and process of this movement remain unclear. Using genome sequence data that we generated nine central from nine CentralAnatolian Neolithic individuals, we studied the transition period from early Aceramic (Pre-Pottery) to the later Pottery Neolithic, when farming expanded west of the Fertile Crescent. We find that genetic diversity in the earliest farmers was conspicuously low, on a par with European foraging groups. With the advent of the Pottery Neolithic, genetic variation within societies reached levels later found in early European farmers. Our results confirm that the earliest Neolithic central Anatolians belonged to the same gene pool as the first Neolithic migrants spreading into Europe. Further, genetic affinities between later Anatolian farmers and fourth to third millennium BC Chalcolithic south Europeans suggest an additional wave of Anatolian migrants, after the initial Neolithic spread but before the Yamnaya-related migrations. We propose that the earliest farming societies demographically resembled foragers and that only after regional gene flow and rising heterogeneity did the farming population expansions into Europe occur."

Spread into west Anatolia from central Anatolia, or from the Levant? As for the last highlighted sentence, I've been saying that for years. Let's see now if they prove it.

The PCA with both modern and ancient samples is very interesting indeed. You really should enlarge it and study it:
http://www.cell.com/cms/attachment/2062474746/2064493945/gr2_lrg.jpg

Just some initial reactions:

Yamnaya and Afanasievo overlap. No modern population clusters close to them, although the Mordovians are perhaps the closest.

Corded Ware and Andronovo overlap and are close to Karsdorf. The closest populations to them are the Croatians and the Bulgarians. Sintashta, Bell Beaker and Eperstadt are not far away. The closest to Bell Beaker, Eperstadt and Sintashta are again the Croatians and the Bulgarians. Even closer perhaps. They can't be unchanged since that time, right? There were movements into the Balkans from Slavic speaking areas, after all, or was that input smaller than we've been assuming, or from a place closer to the Balkans? That, or do you believe in coincidence?

Corded Ware overlaps with Rathlin and isn't too far from Bell Beaker. Rathlin is really not too close to the English samples at all, and Corded Ware isn't close to Estonians, Lithuanians, Belorussians at all; it's much closer, again, to the Balkan populations and Hungary.

The Bedouins and Saudis are pulled very far south, and the Jordanians and Palestinians as well. That has to be African gene flow, yes? It also must have started by the Bronze Age, because although the Bronze Age Levantine sample isn't there, from other papers we know it plotted among Saudis.

Of course, after going through all this it's as well to remember there may be some projection bias, and a PCA is only a very small part of total variation.

The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm too tired.

Last edited:
It is important to note, the oldest new Anatolian Neolithic genomes are about as old as the recently sequenced Levant Neolithic genomes. I don't take that new PCA serisouly. Mordovians have a large amount of Siberian ancestry and therefore their position on that PCA can't be taken very seriously. Results I've seen suggest they're more similar to Northern Europeans than to Andronovo. They have an extra load of EEF/WHG that Andronovo did not have. Could be Slavic ancestry. Point is there are few populations in Russia with abnormally high amounts of Steppe ancestry for Northern Europe.

Fire Haired, do you really think that a difference of 2-3% is important on a PC map?
Erzya ENA percentage is c. 4-8%. Kostroma Russians' ENA percentage is c. 5% and Tver Russians' ENA percentage is c. 2-4%.
Erzya WHG extra is c. 2-7% and Russian WHG extra is c. 4-6%.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8QKIktHmNNC5NE4wJk3NsTuyY/edit#gid=1448840466
http://eurogenes.blogspot.be/2015/03/yamnaya-related-ancestry-proportions-in.html

In the admixture analysis of this new paper Mordovians and Russians have a similar amount of ENA.

So if i understand correct according to some of their most likely hypothesis,the Remedello were Anatolian migrants around 4000 B.C into northern Italy so the DNA found at Remedello Y DNA "I2a1 ,Y DNA I2a1a1a-L672(subclade of M26),Y DNA I2a1a1a-L672(subclade of M26) represent expansion from Anatolia?
Interesting.

it's a pitty we don't find the Natufians, the Levant Neolithic and the Iran HG and neolithic on the PCA chart

Kumtepe is not older than 6800 years and it is the oldest settlement in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumtepe

TurkeyKumtepe [Kum6]
6,700 BP

H2aOmrak 2016

copper melting in Vinca culture started about 7.500 years ago

maybe Kumtepe was the result of backmigration from the Balkans and admixture with local NW Anatolians

also note, chalcolithic Europa has a lot of mtDNA H, just like Kumtepe 6

what is the exact location of Kum6 on the PCA anyway? north or southwest of Barcin?

we need Vinca genomes, they may be common ancestors to Remedello and Kumtepe and to a lot more European chalcolithic

So if i understand correct according to some of their most likely hypothesis,the Remedello were Anatolian migrants around 4000 B.C into northern Italy so the DNA found at Remedello Y DNA "I2a1 ,Y DNA I2a1a1a-L672(subclade of M26),Y DNA I2a1a1a-L672(subclade of M26) represent expansion from Anatolia?
Interesting.

I'll have to check the exact language, but I think their point is that there were two Neolithic waves into Europe from Anatolia, and the later one may have impacted Remedello and Otzi more than the other areas, but that wouldn't necessarily mean total displacement.

Whatever happened, it probably affected Greece and the Balkans as well, and perhaps first.

We don't have the yDna for these samples yet. I hope we get them.

I'll have to check the exact language, but I think their point is that there were two Neolithic waves into Europe from Anatolia, and the later one may have impacted Remedello and Otzi more than the other areas, but that wouldn't necessarily mean total displacement.

Whatever happened, it probably affected Greece and the Balkans as well, and perhaps first.

that is why I mentioned Vinca above in my post n° 6

We don't have the yDna for these samples yet. I hope we get them.

I hope we'll get them from Genetiker or someone else the first few days

Kumtepe is not older than 6800 years and it is the oldest settlement in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumtepe

TurkeyKumtepe [Kum6]
6,700 BP

H2aOmrak 2016

copper melting in Vinca culture started about 7.500 years ago

maybe Kumtepe was the result of backmigration from the Balkans and admixture with local NW Anatolians

also note, chalcolithic Europa has a lot of mtDNA H, just like Kumtepe 6

what is the exact location of Kum6 on the PCA anyway? north or southwest of Barcin?

we need Vinca genomes, they may be common ancestors to Remedello and Kumtepe and to a lot more European chalcolithic

The Kumtepe 6 sample is supposed to be a black inverted triangle filled with green, right? I can't see anything like that on the PCA. There's a black with blue grey, but not black with green inside. If the rose circle is Kumtepe 6, it looks to me as if Kumtepe is slightly southeast or bordering on the main Barcin cluster.

The Buncuklu "forager" into pre-pottery Neolithic sample is north of both of them. I think what the authors are proposing and what makes sense to me is that as time passed there was genetic flow from slightly more "southern" and then more "eastern" groups. It didn't wait until the Chalcolithic, as I said; it wouldn't have made sense. There was increasing population size and more and more exchange of technology.

We'd need some more Balkan samples to clarify all this, but I think what might have happened is that after the initial early Neolithic movement, there was another one at the early to middle Late Neolithic transition and then perhaps again at the mid-to-late Neolithic transition, so not from Vinca, but rather into Vinca.

I know I've sounded like a broken record about it but I do think this may be some proof of these subsequent gene flows. Remember that paper on the Greek ancient dna which found the biggest genetic change actually occurred during the early-to-Middle Neolithic, although some in the Chalcolithic as well?

This would have mainly affected the Balkans/Greece, the Adriatic generally, Italy, but I think some of it might have also moved by sea to Spain.

I also think that the "EEF" like genetic material that went into the Central European MN and moved east into the steppe might have had a lot of these later migrations in it.

This rather whacks some of the dogma as preached by certain internet bloggers. Too bad, so sad. :)

It's also interesting that the Bonkuklu "forager" samples have more WHG. Perhaps that suggestin in the Reich Lab paper that the Villabruna cluster moved from West Asia into Europe was correct after all. So much for all that hysterical drama. The moral of the story is don't bet against the conclusions of this Lab.

Thank you for posting.

At a cursory glance, one of the most striking things about the PCA for me is that the Swedish Hunter Gatherers plot almost within modern Northern European diversity, with the most isolated Scandinavians (Icelanders) being the closest.

We'd need some more Balkan samples to clarify all this, but I think what might have happened is that after the initial early Neolithic movement, there was another one at the early to middle Late Neolithic transition and then perhaps again at the mid-to-late Neolithic transition, so not from Vinca, but rather into Vinca.

I meaned from Tepcik-Ciftlik into Vinca and then from Vinca into both Kumtepe and Remedello

I know I've sounded like a broken record about it but I do think this may be some proof of these subsequent gene flows. Remember that paper on the Greek ancient dna which found the biggest genetic change actually occurred during the early-to-Middle Neolithic, although some in the Chalcolithic as well?

This would have mainly affected the Balkans/Greece, the Adriatic generally, Italy, but I think some of it might have also moved by sea to Spain.

I also think that the "EEF" like genetic material that went into the Central European MN and moved east into the steppe might have had a lot of these later migrations in it.

This rather whacks some of the dogma as preached by certain internet bloggers. Too bad, so sad. :)

I think LBK (EEF) was not influenced by the 2nd wave from Anatolia because the LBK genomes are very similar to the NW Anatolia genomes (Barcin and Mentese)
The second wave would have been the one coming from Tepcik-Ciftlik-like genomes. This second wave arrived into the Balkans after LBK and carded/impressed ware people had allready left the Balkans.

It's also interesting that the Bonkuklu "forager" samples have more WHG. Perhaps that suggestin in the Reich Lab paper that the Villabruna cluster moved from West Asia into Europe was correct after all. So much for all that hysterical drama. The moral of the story is don't bet against the conclusions of this Lab.

Yes, more and more I think Villabruna came from southern/southwestern Anatolia.

PS : the Kumtepe 6 , I still haven't found it on the PCA

PCA map seems rather strange. It looks as if ancients are pulled closer than usual. Never seen EHGs claster so close to Russians/Finns. As if they are same population. SHG too. Lithuanians appear as having no farmer genetics at all, being in the middle of EHG and SHG.
I think it has to do with ancient/modern projection bias. The ancients should be "zoomed" (meaning spread out more).

Excellent thread, mostly Turkish researchers from Ankara and Istanbul.

Corded Ware and Andronovo overlap and are close to Karsdorf. The closest populations to them are the Croatians and the Bulgarians. Sintashta, Bell Beaker and Eperstadt are not far away. The closest to Bell Beaker, Eperstadt and Sintashta are again the Croatians and the Bulgarians. Even closer perhaps. They can't be unchanged since that time, right? There were movements into the Balkans from Slavic speaking areas, after all, or was that input smaller than we've been assuming, or from a place closer to the Balkans? That, or do you believe in coincidence?

It is not likely to be coincidence.

But too bad, not included Romanians, Serbs, Bosniacs and Macedonians, but probably somewhere similar Bulgarians and Croats.

We'd need some more Balkan samples to clarify all this,

Yes, especially from Vinca.

but I think what might have happened is that after the initial early Neolithic movement, there was another one at the early to middle Late Neolithic transition and then perhaps again at the mid-to-late Neolithic transition.

Probably. First and second main flow are from Anatolia to Balkans.

Some supporters of opposing idea in Internet argued that main flows were from Balkans to Anatolia but it is almost incredible, but secondary flows probably existed.

Or vice versa, the part of genetic material could came in steppe across Caucasus.

Some Internet bloggers especially when there was much less information developed own ideas, unfortunately with new results something was unsustainable.

Perhaps that suggestin in the Reich Lab paper that the Villabruna cluster moved from West Asia into Europe was correct after all.

It can be possible.

Interesting.

But that was so obvious, since basically all Farmers ANatolian/EEF had Haplogroup I among them. It is not unlikely that allot of the I today in Europe is actually of Farmer ancestry.

The Kumtepe 6 sample is supposed to be a black inverted triangle filled with green, right? I can't see anything like that on the PCA. There's a black with blue grey, but not black with green inside. If the rose circle is Kumtepe 6, it looks to me as if Kumtepe is slightly southeast or bordering on the main Barcin cluster.

The Buncuklu "forager" into pre-pottery Neolithic sample is north of both of them. I think what the authors are proposing and what makes sense to me is that as time passed there was genetic flow from slightly more "southern" and then more "eastern" groups. It didn't wait until the Chalcolithic, as I said; it wouldn't have made sense. There was increasing population size and more and more exchange of technology.

What I think and what I was proposing allot of times is that the region from Anatolia to the northern parts of the Iranian Plateau were populated by a WHG (Anatolia) and ANE (Iranian Plateau) like people. Until a third population (Basal Eurasian) moved up from the Iranian South coast or Arabia and merged with the other two creating the Anatolian farmers in the West and Iranian Farmers in the East.

"too bad" yes, but don't worry they will again somehow find a way to explain all of this the way they like it and their preachers won't be far away to spred their word.

About the connection between Kumtepe and Ötzi, well Kurd was the first one who saw this connection to the exclusion of other Farmers and did propose the second wave of Farmers. And this is where his "CHG_EEF" component idea comes from.

Interesting.

Yes.

And it is important that researchers analyze samples in one of largest prehistoric Neolithic settlement in Europe, in village of Vinca, in Serbia.

Fire Haired, do you really think that a difference of 2-3% is important on a PC map?
Erzya ENA percentage is c. 4-8%. Kostroma Russians' ENA percentage is c. 5% and Tver Russians' ENA percentage is c. 2-4%.
Erzya WHG extra is c. 2-7% and Russian WHG extra is c. 4-6%.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8QKIktHmNNC5NE4wJk3NsTuyY/edit#gid=1448840466
http://eurogenes.blogspot.be/2015/03/yamnaya-related-ancestry-proportions-in.html

In the admixture analysis of this new paper Mordovians and Russians have a similar amount of ENA.

The PCA has projection bias. We can't trust anything it shows anyways.

This thread has been viewed 28743 times.

Back