VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

As has been said by Pax and half alp, there are big differences between spaghetti bolognese and tagliatelle with ragu' alla bolognese both in the type of noodle and how the sauce is made. You could never mistake the taste and texture of fresh tagliatelle made with eggs to spaghetti, or the two versions of the sauce either.

The English are guilty of this kind of thing too, however. Gino D'Acampo is a Neapolitan chef who used to regularly appear on an English morning show. He was constantly battling the English conception that the sauce should be some ground meat swimming in tomato sauce. He had the same issue with spaghetti carbonara, which they insisted on making with cream. The latter is a heavy dish but it doesn't have to be THAT heavy. Also, when you douse things with lots of cream you can risk making a dish bland and tasteless.

Look, I'm not some food Nazi. :) People can eat whatever they want, but they should know it's not the original, and they should know before traveling what they will and will not be able to get in terms of food. You're not going to get a lot of your "local" Chinese dishes in China either.

Southerners do make a tomato-meat sauce in which you basically simmer large cuts of meat and sausages in tomatoes and their juice for hours. They also make a "meat" sauce called "alla genovese", which is confusingly not like the meat sauce made in Genova. I included a picture of the latter upthread. This is their "tomato" sauce. It's sometimes called "gravy" by Italian Americans.

As for "baloney" versus the cured meat made in Bologna, which is called mortadella and may be my favorite cured pork product, words fail me.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian, Irish, Jewish

Im different, in that I like pasta smothered in cheese bc I'm a human mouse ;). The bolognese I ate a lot was covered in parmasean and I went as far as adding grated cheese on top lol. Hopefully my sister stopped eating that kraft macaroni and cheese garbage, she used to eat quite frequently (she even once made pasta with buffalo wings...I wonder if she's worse than me).

I don't care as much about authenticity as I do about whether its enjoyable to eat and isn't TOO unhealthy
    mmmmmmmmmm doughnuuuuutz

Regular Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    ^^What ON EARTH does desperation have to do with it? Minced beef or pork or anything else is just MINCED beef or pork pieces. It has the same nutritional value, etc. etc. In Italy, especially, you buy your pieces of meat and watch the butcher grind it, or even grind it at home yourself.

Actually, in times past, even ragu alla bolognese was made with chunks of meat which were then shredded. In more modern times it just seemed like too much extra work for no benefit.

I've been to Venice a LOT since my cousin married a Venetian with ancestry back to the founding of Venice if you listen to him, and most of the pasta is dressed with fish of one type or another. The "Veneziana" is made with alici. They also make a duck sauce. Obviously, as you get further into the deep countryside they don't have access to much fish except for things like baccala or stoccafisso.

As for the Trentino Alto Adige, you'll eat more speck, kraut and sausage than pasta. The former is their traditional fare. What pasta there is is spaetzle other than a few other varieties which they adapted to the ingredients which were available.

See:
    https://www.cucchiaio.it/cucina/cuci...no-alto-adige/

One of the only pastas I ever saw on their menus is this, unless it was set up for tourists, or was brought by incoming Italians, who have settled there in decent numbers.

https://www.cucchiaio.it/ricetta/ric...agro-tirolese/

They also made pastas with cooked ham and cream. I never ordered them so I don't know what it actually tastes like...

In Treviso I remember a lot of pasta with radicchio, but that's one of the few vegetables I don't like because it's so bitter, so I didn't order it. I did like a pasta they made with pancetta, finocchio and rosmarino.

I am no saying mince is inferior............I am saying in all my relatives in italy or australia, all my inlaws and their line they did not prefer mince over cubed pieces of steak..........I have never eaten mince meat rugu made by them.
    Also, I rarely see napolitano sauce on pasta in my families.
    If we are not eating a risotto, then the pasta is usually what I stated above.............Btw, we only ever had pasta once a week

My cousin drives to find bigoli for her duck ragu, that is her specialty
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

Ethnic group
    Swiss

I personnaly make my Bolognese with Minced Beef, first because i'm not a fan of Porc, even if a know that Minced Beef + Minced Pork gave a better taste ( the pork ) and secondly because original ragu is made with, idk the term in english ( i call it " Bouillie " in french ) but some part of the beef that takes 5-6 hours to cooked to remove the collagen and at the end, crumble the meat, a little like the cuban recipe Ropa Vieja, it takes a lot of times, personnaly, with only Minced Beef i dont like that it cooked more than 45 minutes, because after meat start to become crumbled and i dont like it when its minced meat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12