Eneolithic aDNA from Lake Baikal Siberia

Fire Haired14

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b DF27*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2a2b1
Maternal and Paternal Polymorphisms in Prehistoric Siberian Populations of Lake Baikal

These new aDNA samples from Siberia are from before Andronovo arrived and most are from before Afanasievo arrived, which is a big deal because as of date most ancient Siberian DNA derives from European immigrants. I'll compare the mtDNA to modern mtDNA later, the results will give insights, so stay tuned.

Lake Baikal mtDNA from the Early Bronze age and Mesolithic have already been published in the past, the new results in this paper are Y DNA. 80% or so had Q1a3, and the rest had C3 and R1a1. There are many reported K Y DNA results but I'm not sure whether it is K(xQ, R) or K(not tested for Q or R). The high frequency of Q1a3 is especially interesting to me because it's reminds me of the high frequency of Q1a2 in Native Americans and single Q1a found in Eneolithic European Russia, I'm pretty sure no one in Siberia today has such high frequencies of Q, and so far most Bronze age Siberian Y DNA that isn't R1a-Z93 is Q1a.

Abstract.
The study of Ancient DNA (aDNA), DNA recovered from archaeological and historic post mortem material, has complemented the study of anthropology and archaeology. There are several challenges in the retrieval and analysis of DNA from ancient specimens including exogenous contamination with modern DNA, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) inhibitors and DNA damage because of environmental factors. Despite all the obstacles, the extraction of aDNA is still possible through reliable extraction methods and highly sensitive PCR-based technologies that facilitated the use of aDNA analysis in revealing the maternal and paternal backgrounds of ancient populations. This dissertation examines prehistoric hunter-gatherer populations that inhabited Siberia, Russia, several thousand years ago. The Lake Baikal of Siberia was home to two temporally distinct populations from Early Neolithic, EN (8000-6800 cal BP) to Late Neolithic-Early Bronze Age, LN-EBA (5800-4000 cal BP). The EN group was separated from the LN-EBA group by a 1000-year gap (hiatus). Several cemeteries have been excavated as part of an international Baikal Archaeology Project (BAP). These include one EN cemetery (Shamanka II) and two LN-EBA cemeteries (Kurma XI and Khuzhir-Nuge XIV). Maternally inherited mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) has been examined previously for two EN cemeteries (Lokomotiv and Shamanka II) and one of the LN-EBA cemeteries (Ust’-Ida). mtDNA has not been analyzed before from the Kurma XI cemetery. This dissertation hypothesis focused on the examination of mtDNA from Shamanka II and Kurma XI cemeteries and examination of Y-chromosomal DNA from the four excavated cemeteries (Lokomotiv, Shamanka II, Ust’-Ida and Kurma XI) to identify genetic discontinuity and/or continuity between and within the EN and LN-EBA of prehistoric populations. The project aims were; first, modification of published methods for sample preparation, DNA extraction and PCR amplification for aDNA research. Second, interpretation of mtDNA haplogroup distribution from Kurma XI in the context of other Lake Baikal cemeteries. Third, compare the genetic affinities of the prehistoric populations with the contemporary populations of the area through the maternal lineage. Finally, comprison of mtDNA and Y-chromosomal haplogroup distributions to determine maternal and paternal genetic affinities. Four different mtDNA haplogroups were found in Kurma XI individuals including A, D, F and Z. mtDNA haplogroup Z was not represented before in Lake Baikal’s prehistoric populations. In addition, six extra samples from Shamanka II were analyzed to reveal that Shamanka II and Lokomotiv did not share the same maternal background as was previously suggested. New mtDNA results from Kurma XI and Shamanka II suggested that each of the EN cemeteries and LN-EBA cemeteries had a different maternal origin; however, Kurma XI shared a similar maternal origin with Lokomotiv and also with Shamanka II. Through SNaPshot multiplex PCR amplification, Y-chromosomal haplogroups were obtained from male individuals in the four cemeteries. Individuals from Lokomotiv and Shamanka II were found to possess haplogroups K, R1a1 and C3, and individuals from Ust’-Ida and Kurma XI were found to belong to haplogroups Q, K and unidentified SNP (L914). For those individuals belonging to haplogroup Q, further experimentation to examine sub-haplogroups of Q revealed that these individuals belong to sub-haplogroup Q1a3. There was significant heterogeneity in the males from the Lokomotiv cemetery when compared to the other three cemeteries. Furthermore, the Y-chromosome results showed a discontinuity between the EN and the LN-EBA populations of Lake Baikal. Combining the maternal and the paternal results from the prehistoric populations of Lake Baikal suggested a patrilocal post-marital residence pattern, where females moved to their husbands’ birthplace after marriage. This research highlighted the utility of DNA analysis as an archaeological tool in conjunction with burial practices and artifacts in making inferences about the prehistoric population structure.

And a doctoral thesis at that. Holy shit. Comprehensive as all get out. Well if anyone wanted to become an expert on this specific topic in one read this is the best you'll find.

Consistent with R1a Karelia being the highest contribution to Native American Alleles of all the ancient west eurasian

These Early Neolithic remains from Shamanka II found to belong to K* (xN1c1-TAT, O-M175, P-M45), mostly could belong to T1a haplogroup. Haplogroup T is found among a EN population from Germany and a Neolithic population from Jordan. Also haplogroup T1a has been found in modern populations from this Siberian region like Tuvinians from Ubsunur Hollow, also found among Kazakhs, Khakass and Mongolians.

Shamanka II remains.jpg

These Early Neolithic remains from Shamanka II found to belong to K* (xN1c1-TAT, O-M175, P-M45), mostly could belong to T1a haplogroup. Haplogroup T is found among a EN population from Germany and a Neolithic population from Jordan. Also haplogroup T1a has been found in modern populations from this Siberian region like Tuvinians from Ubsunur Hollow, also found among Kazakhs, Khakass and Mongolians.

View attachment 7972

Are you a bot?

View attachment 7972

This is K*(xN,O,P) - similar K* was also found in Xiaohe cemetery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaohe_Tomb_complex

From Xiaohe we have 11 samples of R1a and 1 of K* - probably T1a1.

It was K*(xN,O,P) - so it could be either T, L, M, S or some basal K*:

EAsiaMetal.PNG

Because they did not test for T. Only for N, O and P. They did not check if it was T or not.

ok, but it could as well be a line of K that is now extinct

True,
But we have some T -M184 ( xM70) found from further south in Bhutan, so its not far away. ...............T-M184 = T ...and T-M70 = T1a

The question I seek is that the recent Central America paper shows very old T of which 20% is Iberian and the rest indigenous, this indigenous part must have travelled to the Americas via siberia. This means that it was was these east-asian areas.

isn't the Buthanese T2 ?

this is Ray Banks :

T2 PH110 (2913966 G->T) Armenians, ?Bhutanese

I guess in Y Full it is T*

TL452 * CTS573 * CTS11511/PF5582+240 SNPsformed 42600 ybp, TMRCA 26800 ybpinfo
  • T*
    • id:YF03586
  • T-L206CTS10618 * Y3821/Z19862 * L490+91 SNPsformed 26800 ybp, TMRCA 16000 ybp

split from T1-L206 26800 years ago

View attachment 7972

That was also my suspicion. I had noticed that mt-haplogroup N1a1a was found in present-day Siberia and Mongolia, probably as descendants of Neolithic farmers. I had wondered whether the matching Y-haplogroup of these EN farmers who migrated to Northeast Europe, Siberia and Mongolia could have been T1a. After all T1a is found at surprisingly high frequencies along the Volga River, but also around the Russia-Ukraine border and in Estonia, and could represent remnants of Neolithic populations overtaken by the latter Indo-European R1a and R1b, and the Uralic N1c migrations. It could even be argued that mt-haplogroup I (a subclade of N1a1a) descends from the Early Neolithic farmers, as it peaks between the East Baltic and the Volga-Ural, where Y-haplogroup T1a is also found. MtDNA I would then have been carried west by the Indo-European migrations.

So it would be great news if those EN Siberians belonging to Y-haplogroup K were indeed T1a. I also suggested that a minority of T1a was later dispersed by the Indo-European migrations, accompanying the majority of R1a and R1b men with other minorities of G2a-P303 and J2b2.

What is more surprising in this paper is the presence of R1a1 among Early Neolithic farmers. I suppose that they were assimilated along the (very long) way from the Pontic Steppe to Lake Baikal. Haplogroups C3 and Q1a3 were probably both present in the Lake Baikal region before the Neolithic. I seriously doubt that the Bronze Age Q1a3 represent the new migrants that brought the bronze age from the west. They are just assimilated locals.

Interesting coincidences among Kazakhs from Kosh-Agachsky District and Early Neolithic Lokomotiv.

Early Neolithic Lokomotiv
57.1% K* (xN1c1-Tat, O-M175, P-M45) most likely T1a or N*(xN1c1-Tat)
28.6% R1a1
14.3% C3*

Kazakhs from Kosh-Agachsky District (Southeast Altai Republic). Source: Gubina 2012
40.8% C3c
38.8% K* (xL-M20, N-M231, O-M175, R-M207, Q-M242) likely T1a-M70 previously found positive in Kazakhs from southwest Altai (Dulik 2011)
6.1% R1a1
14.3% Others

Last edited:
If Eneolithic Siberia was Q1a before R1a1 or anything else. How can some individuals still claim R1 Haplogroups reached the Steppes directly from Siberia via the "North Eurasian route"? I bet my money on South_Central Asia being the homeland of R1a in the Steppes.

That was also my suspicion. I had noticed that mt-haplogroup N1a1a was found in present-day Siberia and Mongolia, probably as descendants of Neolithic farmers. I had wondered whether the matching Y-haplogroup of these EN farmers who migrated to Northeast Europe, Siberia and Mongolia could have been T1a. After all T1a is found at surprisingly high frequencies along the Volga River, but also around the Russia-Ukraine border and in Estonia, and could represent remnants of Neolithic populations overtaken by the latter Indo-European R1a and R1b, and the Uralic N1c migrations. It could even be argued that mt-haplogroup I (a subclade of N1a1a) descends from the Early Neolithic farmers, as it peaks between the East Baltic and the Volga-Ural, where Y-haplogroup T1a is also found. MtDNA I would then have been carried west by the Indo-European migrations.

So it would be great news if those EN Siberians belonging to Y-haplogroup K were indeed T1a. I also suggested that a minority of T1a was later dispersed by the Indo-European migrations, accompanying the majority of R1a and R1b men with other minorities of G2a-P303 and J2b2.

What is more surprising in this paper is the presence of R1a1 among Early Neolithic farmers. I suppose that they were assimilated along the (very long) way from the Pontic Steppe to Lake Baikal. Haplogroups C3 and Q1a3 were probably both present in the Lake Baikal region before the Neolithic. I seriously doubt that the Bronze Age Q1a3 represent the new migrants that brought the bronze age from the west. They are just assimilated locals.

Maciamo, haplogroup T-M184 has been only found in some Lithuanian populations but not Estonian. In Estonia is found L2-L595 and L1-M22.

About mtDNA in Kazakhs from
Kosh-Agachsky District are found:
R = 43.7% (R0 = 13.1%, R10 = 1.4%, F = 3,5%, U = 14%, JT = 5.5%, B = 6.2%) and N = 17.8% (N1 = 5.5%, N9 = 6% and A= 6.3%).

R = 43.7%

R0 = 13.1%
13.1% H

1.4% R10

3.5% F =>Found together R1a1 in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<=

U = 14%
3.5% pre-K
0.7 U
0.7 U1b
1.4% U3
0.7% U4
5.6% U5 =>Found in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<=
1.4% U7

JT = 5.5%
0.7 J
4.8% T2a

6.2% B

N = 17.8%

N1 = 5.5%
3.4% I
2.1% N1a

N9 = 6%
5.3% N9
0.7% Y

6.3% A
=>Found together C3 in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<= =>Found together K* in Early Neolithic Shamanka II<=

Last edited:
mtDNA modern Buryats from Lake Baikal (Pakendorf 2003);

Sample 1 = 61
R = 8.1%
F = 1.6% =>Found together R1a1 in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<=
B = 4.9%
H = 1.6%

N = 1.6%

Sample 2 = 25
R = 28%
B = 4%
H = 4%
V = 4%
J = 4%
U = 12% =>Found in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<=

Sample 3 = 295
R = 21.7%
B = 3.4%
F = 3.1% =>Found together R1a1 in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<=
R* = 0.3%
H = 6.8%
HV = 1%
J = 0.7%
T = 1%
UK = 5.4% =>Found in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<=

N = 9.4%
N* = 2.4%
A = 5% =>Found together C3 in Early Neolithic Lokomotiv<= =>Found together K* in Early Neolithic Shamanka II<=
Y = 1.4%
I = 0.3%
X = 0.3%

This thread has been viewed 49076 times.

Back