New data coming on "Neolithic" mtdna

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
"Mitochondrial DNA analysis of first Neolithic farmers from Anatolia and Syria: implications for the Neolithisation of Europe

Luke Reynolds1, Jessica Pearson2, Miquel Molist3, Douglas Baird2, Richard Brown1, Eva Fernandez-Dominguez4

"The knowledge of the genetic make-up of the first Near Eastern farmers is crucial for the understanding of the biological processes involved in the Mesolithic-Neolithic transition in Europe. To elucidate the genetic contribution of Pre-Pottery Neolithic populations of Anatolia and the Levant to the European Neolithic and present-day gene pool DNA was extracted from 82 skeletal remains from four archaeological sites in the Levant (Tell Halula, Tell Ramad, Dja'de El Mughara and Tell Aswad) and two in Anatolia (Pınarbaşı and Boncuklu Höyük). A fragment of the Hypervariable Region I plus several haplogroup diagnostic SNPs were amplified by PCR and sequenced. Stringent criteria of authenticity were observed throughout the process, including analysis in a dedicated ancient DNA laboratory and replication of extraction and PCR procedures, some of them conducted in a separate laboratory. Reproducible results could be obtained for 10 samples. Haplogroup and haplotype distribution showed a differentiation between the Anatolian and the Levantine samples. A statistical comparison with published Early Neolithic mitochondrial DNA profiles showed different patterns, with the Anatolian samples being genetically closer to the Starčevo-Criș-Kőrös and LBK-AVK pottery cultures and the Levantine samples showing stronger affinities to the Iberian Cardial and Epicardial cultures. These preliminary results suggest a maternal genetic input from the Levant into the first Neolithic communities of Iberia, which might have followed a sea route as well as a genetic contribution from Anatolia to Early Neolithic farming cultures of the Carpathian basin and Central Europe."

I don't think there was necessarily a significant autosomal difference, but this would explain the varying mtDna frequencies.

Also, the two strains met, certainly in the Paris basin region, from previous papers.

I'm interested to see the actual lineages.

I think it's much like cooking again the same data. You know, publish or perish.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Europe_through_Cyprus_and_the_Aegean_Islands

It does look like the same data. I hope that the new study will at least have the deep clades, as it is completely useless to know that an ancient farmer is just H or K, as there are so many subclades, some native to Mesolithic Europe, others to the Middle East. But there shouldn't be too many surprises. I expect the Levantine H to be H5a, and the K to be K1a.

It does look like the same data. I hope that the new study will at least have the deep clades, as it is completely useless to know that an ancient farmer is just H or K, as there are so many subclades, some native to Mesolithic Europe, others to the Middle East. But there shouldn't be too many surprises. I expect the Levantine H to be H5a, and the K to be K1a.

Greece and surroundings are the only location in Europe where anything but U(xK) and few other exceptions were there before the Neolithic. IMO, 99.9% of West Eurasian mtDNA that besides a handful of U subclades are from the Middle East. More mtDNA from Middle Eastern aDNA genomes we got in the summer were published a few weeks ago. They all had typical "West Eurasian" or specfically Middle Eastern mtDNA, a Natufian surprisingly had V and a few other Stone age Mid Easterners had HV0(xV). We have 100s of mtDNA results from pre-Neo Europe and all are U(xK), except for a single H in Karelia, a single R1b1 in Hungary, a few Ms in Belgium, and two K1c in Greece.

This thread has been viewed 3530 times.

Back