Does Y-DNA influence one's looks after all?

Sorry, gentlemen, both looks and personality are probably dependent on hundreds if not thousands and tens of thousands of different snps, and those snps don't reside on the y chromosome.

The most that I would say as to correspondences is that certain looks and maybe personality traits may be more common in some areas than others, and those areas may have more of one y dna lineage than another, but that doesn't imply "causation" in the sense that something in the y is causing someone to have narrow versus round eyes, for example.

Mike Damman: For the life of me, I cannot understand why women like Dolph Lundgren, George Clooney or Ben Affleck. They look so boring to me. Their eyes spell emptiness. Sure I am not the right judge in regards to what women are looking for, but I would assume that when looking for a partner in life, you want someone who looks like they have more of a soul.

You've got three totally different looking men there. I don't know what their souls are like. What I can say about their looks is that Ben Affleck is soft and, indeed, rather boring looking to me personally. He is very popular, though. I think George Clooney is very good looking, and seems to be, by all accounts, charming and funny, but no, I don't think he's very unique looking. Lundgren is just ugly to me, far too hard faced, and while tastes differ, I don't think he would appeal to most American women.

Indian population = 1,330,390,000

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/india-population/

Swedish population = 9,868,300

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/sweden-population/

In India live just now 135 times more people than in Sweden !

16 % of Swedih males is R1a = ( 9,868,300 / 2 ) X .16 = 789,464 . Less than 1 million Swedish men are R1a.

India

Let say in India are 40% of males are R1a. It is my LOWEST prediciton of R1a in India. There could be at least 50%. But let say it is 40%.

( 1,330,390,000 / 2 ) X .4 = 266,078,000 !

In India belong at least 266 million to Y-DNA hg. R1a.

And now tell me again how a modern day average R1a fella looks like ??!! Exactly, he looks South Asian!

Maciamo, since when are you into PSEUDO science? This is one of the very few times that you disappoint me...

Uh,then i always wondered why i took physical traits much more of my mother side than my father in comparison,much more traits i carry are trough male lineage of my mother side,weird?then little less from father side,yet i cary Y-DNA from my father.

They do look like Y-DNA hg. I1 !!!

And are you talking about Europe, right? Because most R1a men, and I mean more than 1 billion, look like him or something...

0,,17741097_403,00.jpg

This is now an AVERAGE modern day R1a fella looks like!

That's because you think of autosomal looks linked to an ethnic group with a majority of one Y-haplogroup. I am talking about the cross-ethnic feel common among all members of a same haplogroup. When I say that R1a men look more earnest, that applies to Scandinavians, Slavs, Greeks, Jews, Kurds, Persians and Indians alike. You should do abstraction of the autosomal looks such as pigmentation and racial differences.

The only way to find out how a particular Y-DNA should look like is to find the very first and archaic Y-DNA haplogroup. Otherwise it is nothing but speculation and pseudo science ..

Nobody knows how the very first R1a or R1b fella looked like 20000 !!! years ago.

But all we know is that modern humans are much more evolved and refined than 20000 years ago. It has something to do with what we call time, environmental adaptation and attainable nutrition ( = evolution ) .

The very first born archaic R1b or R1a fella could look like a very, very dark African.

But today what we do know for sure is that a current average looking R1b fella (I know there is R1b in native African & West/East Asian populations, but I'm talking about the general average global population), and that average looking R1b fella has 'Europoid' (native European) looks, most R1b fellas have European roots. While an average looking R1a fella is South Asian, most present day living R1a fellas have South Asian roots.

The rest is pseudo science...

The only way to find out how a particular Y-DNA should look like is to find the very first and archaic Y-DNA haplogroup. Otherwise it is nothing but speculation and pseudo science ..

Nobody knows how the very first R1a or R1b fella looked like 20000 !!! years ago.

But all we know is that modern humans are much more evolved and refined than 20000 years ago. It has something to do with what we call time, environmental adaptation and attainable nutrition ( = evolution ) .

Once again you completely misunderstand the purpose of this thread. What you mean is to find out the autosomal genes for one particular phenotype (the ancient R1a ancestors) and match it with a Y-chromosomal DNA. But what I am trying to do is almost the opposite. I am trying to dissociate completely autosomal DNA from Y-DNA, and see what phenotypically relevant influence is left using only the Y-DNA. The best way to test this would be to genetically engineer quasi-clones that differ only in their Y-DNA, and see how different they look. Chances are that they will be very similar, but will have a distinctively different 'feel'. Using language as an analogy, you could say that those clones who all speak English (the autosomal DNA) but with a different accent (the Y-DNA).

Now when I wrote that, based on my personal impression of people I know, R1a men were more earnest and straightforward (or even aggressive), you are a good example. :) But I also had other specific people in mind. It is now known that Benjamin Netanyahu belongs to R1a-Z93. Not only does he fit the description for his character, but his earnest character is also reflected on his face. That is no easy-going, boyish J2a man.

rDqJgxFZ.jpeg

Many Jews had their DNA tested, and as Jews have so many different Y-haplogroups, they make a great 'test case' for the phenotypical expression of Y-DNA. Jews are fairly homogeneous genetically, being a single ethnic group that refrained (as much as possible) to intermarry with outsiders for over 3000 years. There are obvious differences between Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, but they tend to be genetically close within each group (esp. Ashkenazi). So do J2 Jews look different from R1a Jews, J1 Jews, R1b Jews, Q1b Jews or G2 Jews? I believe it may be possible for an experienced observer (which would require a lot more practice, in my case) to guess the haplogroup based on the particular 'aura' or character associated with a specific haplogroup.

For example, most Levite Jews supposedly belong to Y-haplogroup R1a, while many Cohens are either J1 or J2. French philosopher Bernard Henri Levy (pictured below) is a Levite and therefore should fit my R1a image of the earnest man, which he very much is.

bernard-henri-levy-israel.jpg

Benjamin Netanyahu and Bernard Henri Levy do not look similar at all in terms of autosomal DNA, but they have the same earnest 'atmosphere'. It may just be a coincidence, but that's what I found among the R1a people I know (celebrities + Facebook + friends). It also just happened to be that countries with high percentages of R1a tend to be more earnest and straightforward. That is as true for Scandinavians and Germans as for northern Slavs, Iranians or Pakistanis. Its harder to say for Indians as R1a is found mostly among the higher caste Hindus and vary a lot by region. But just compare outspoken and rather aggressive Pakistani with the much milder and more reserved Bangladeshi. They are a world apart despite sharing a similar culture.

In contrast, I don't know what David Schwimmer's haplogroup is, but I would say J2a based on the type I described at the beginning of this thread. He clearly doesn't have that R1a look.

david-schwimmer.jpg

And it's not just because of the difference of age. Dustin Hoffman doesn't have the R1a look either. I'd say also J2a too.

MV5BMTc3NzU0ODczMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEyMDY5Mg@@._V1_UY317_CR11,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

The gentle, boyish charm of J2a men is more obvious when he was younger, but still shows with age.

220px-Dustin_Hoffman_-_1968.jpg

Just to give an example of a non-Jewish actor who has the J2a looks (this is American actor John Larroquette, of French descent)

larroquette__120927063353.png

This has be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these forums. Y DNA Haplogroups making people act a certain way. What the hell? Am I missing something here? Are we still talking in reality? Where am I? If the OP wasn't who he is I would say more. But because of who he is Ill play nice.

Maciamo, since when are you into PSEUDO science? This is one of the very few times that you disappoint me...

Actually he half right. I have little knowledge in genetics but everyday life proves some of his assumptions. For instance if two painters get married its very likely their child will inherit some painting traits. If two non singers marry the likelihood their child becoming a singer is remote. The genetic law of inheritance gives his assumption scientific argument. But we know that major y haplogroups have evolved also so putting all R1a folks under the same umbrella in terms of their mental characteristics is exaggeration. But he is right in terms of physical appearance.

Actually he half right.
He is not even 0.001% right. Look, if he talked about the 'genes' and the inheritability of those genes, then I would agree with him. I do believe that races can pass on and lose some genes. If your parents are smart, the chance is bigger that you're also smart. But he is not talking about the genes, but about the Y-DNA haplogroups. I mean, WHAT ??!!

What if I would recognize myself outside my own haplogroup and lean more toward that different haplogroup , would I be a some kind of trans-haplogrouper???

People can identify themselves as an ethnic group (race), by gender (man/female) and sexuality (homo/hetero), but it is really stupid to link Y-DNA haplogorups to facial characteristics or human nature/personality. Facial characteristics have to do with your race and human nature/personality has something to do with education, by whom you are raised and the human SOUL...

He is not even 0.001% right. Look, if he talked about the 'genes' and the inheritability of those genes, then I would agree with him. I do believe that races can pass on and lose some genes. If your parents are smart, the chance is bigger that you' re also smart. But he is not talking about the genes, but about the Y-DNA haplogroups. I mean, WHAT ??!!

What if I would recognize myself outside my own haplogroup and lean toward that different haplogroup , would I be a some kind of trans-haplogrouper???

People can identify themselves as an ethnic group (race), gender (man/female) and sexuality (homo/hetero), but it is really stupid to link Y-DNA haplogorups to facial characteristics or human nature/personality. Facial characteristics has to do with your race and human nature/personality has something to do with education, by whom you are raised and the human SOUL...

Finally some sanity in this thread.

He is not even 0.001% right. Look, if he talked about the 'genes' and the inheritability of those genes, then I would agree with him. I do believe that races can pass on and lose some genes. If your parents are smart, the chance is bigger that you're also smart. But he is not talking about the genes, but about the Y-DNA haplogroups. I mean, WHAT ??!!

FYI, there are over 200 genes on the Y chromosome (against 2000 for the X chromosome), i.e. about 1% of all our genes. Did you think it had no function at all? It's a chromosome like any other. The Y chromosome may be small, but it is larger than chromosomes 21 and 22 and the same size as chromosome 20. Anyway, I think that the difference between male lions, ligers, tigons and tigers convincingly shows that the Y-chromosome does influence looks. The male liger (lion Y-DNA, tiger X-DNA) has the lion's regal look and stern expression that the male tigon (tiger Y-DNA, lion X-DNA) or tiger do not have. Of course some traits like body size are very likely to be either on the X chromosomes or on imprinted autosomal genes, as they affect both genders equally. If you can't understand what I am talking about, perhaps you should refrain from posting in such discussions and read a bit more about genetics.

This has be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these forums. Y DNA Haplogroups making people act a certain way. What the hell? Am I missing something here? Are we still talking in reality? Where am I? If the OP wasn't who he is I would say more. But because of who he is Ill play nice.

Why is it ridiculous to compare the looks of known carriers of certain haplogroups across racial groups? Read again, I am not guessing the haplogroup of the four individuals tested in the OP. These were all tested and are all confirmed J2a members. I also posted two confirmed R1a members (von Sydow and Netanyahu) and a very likely R1a based on the surname (Levy).

Do you also believe like Goga that the Y-chromsome has no function whatsoever. 59 million useless base pairs? It takes only a handful of mutations to get blue eyes (in the genes OCA2 and HERC, both on Chr. 15). Why would thousands of mutations selected by evolution over tens of thousands of years have no impact on behaviour or looks? Why do you think that the Y-chromosome does not affect males attractiveness, male dominance, or other male attributes? I suppose you don't believe in evolution and natural selection either?

I’m guessing this another of those fantasy theories circulating.

It was suggested before that R1b men introduced social hierarchy to wherever they went, unitl FACTS disproved otherwise – the discovery of a cemetery in Varna containing individuals characterized with different materials, suggesting that there were already hierarchy societies in Europe before the coming of R1b males.

Secondly, this theory, if it is one, is entirely based on ones’s ‘feel’. This ‘feel’ or ‘aura’ is entirely subjective, and therefore different to each person’s perception. Since it’s lacking any objectivity, it’s impossible to be generaly applied.

I also expected more from the forum’s administrator, and until facts prove otherwise, I’m restricting haplogroups’ purposes merely to ancestry and migration.

(Not to say that the exemples provided for J2 men were all of the same nationality…)

They do look like Y-DNA hg. I1 !!!
And are you talking about Europe, right? Because most R1a men, and I mean more than 1 billion, look like him or something...
0,,17741097_403,00.jpg

This is now an AVERAGE modern day R1a fella looks like!

I think that every man has more haplogrups in genetic informations, not only one. One haplogrup is in most % occurrence. It is reason for various appearance for people with the same haplogrup.

I always thought Netanyahu looked somewhere between Spaniard and Middle Eastern. I would have thought R1b or J2. The R1a-Z93 is a surprise...

You will notice though, the South Asian skull shape and features are similar to a European on many levels with the exception of the dark skin. That is probably why South Asians and Europeans were thought to be of the same racial type by those early anthropologists.

Were there any famous R1b men on the show this season?

The original J2 look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recep_Tayyip_Erdoğan
http://arthistoryworlds.org/sculpture-from-sumer/

A very handsome variation of what ancient Celtic men probably looked like in modern form. Notice substantial EEF ancestry picked up in Central and SW Europe in traditional Celtic territory. (perhaps from mtDNA H women)
https://wallpaperscraft.com/tag/kit harington

I always thought Netanyahu looked somewhere between Spaniard and Middle Eastern. I would have thought R1b or J2. The R1a-Z93 is a surprise...
Jews are not Semites. Semites have dark skin and black hair. Jews are Khazars. Khazars are Germanic nation. Language of Khazars is germanic Yiddish language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews#The_Khazar_hypothesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_genetics_of_Jews
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazar_hypothesis_of_Ashkenazi_ancestry

This thread has been viewed 73896 times.

Back