Do you believe that Y-DNA influences looks and behaviour?

Do you think that Y-chromosomal DNA has an influence on phenotype?

• No, Y-DNA does not influence looks or behaviour at all

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Y-DNA might possibly have a minor influence on man's behaviour, but not on his physical appearance

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Y-DNA most probably influences a man's behaviour, but has no effect on physical appearance at all

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Y-DNA slightly influences a man's physical appearance, but not his behaviour

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Y-DNA considerably influences a man's physical appearance, but not his behaviour

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Y-DNA slightly influences a man's physical appearance and his behaviour

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Y-DNA considerably influences a man's physical appearance and his behaviour

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • No idea !

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Just a little poll to open up a serious discussion after this thread. I am really interested to compare points of view about this.

The main influence, in my opinion, would be height. This is why men with Haplogroup I are usually taller. Anything else seems completely baseless to me.

I agree that ydna is associated with looks between father and son , ...............but.............it does not influence height or behaviour, this part comes from mtdna side ( both maternal and paternal )

as for the women, I never seen a daughter match her mother in looks............women seem to be able to improve over their mothers with every generation ( without makeup is what I refer to )

I'm Haplogroup G. Should I look like Stalin? I have these boyish looks that you associate with Haplogroup J.

I agree that ydna is associated with looks between father and son , ...............but.............it does not influence height or behaviour, this part comes from mtdna side ( both maternal and paternal )

as for the women, I never seen a daughter match her mother in looks............women seem to be able to improve over their mothers with every generation ( without makeup is what I refer to )
Mitochondrial DNA and height? What are you talking about? Please provide some sources. Y-DNA contains genes affecting height, whereas mtDNA contains much less genes period.

No Idea!!! This is a question for geneticists.

Y-DNA, Y chromosome?

I will vote for NO IDEA,

why?
cause by what I know we have not found yet what the differences Y-DNA role on a man developement and hormonic status/production,

ok Y chromosoma is responsible for many of hormones and other production,
but can you tell me the difference of need, among a G2a3a and a G2a3b?
what? one produce more testosterone? or the other helps 'the size'? :unsure:
maybe Y-Dna produce an unknown hormone? for example to coperate with prostate, or less possibilities of cancer? or to grand a man more hair and a beard, than another?

But deep inside of me, I have the feeling that plays a role, on behavour and physical appearance,
But I will vote no idea, cause until now, as I know, nothing special use of it has been certified.

although lately I hear something that some Y--DNA are resisting SIDA/AIDS,or have this effect, or the other,

I believe that environment (mother nature) influence both look and behavior,they shape and adopt to it.

Mitochondrial DNA and height? What are you talking about? Please provide some sources. Y-DNA contains genes affecting height, whereas mtDNA contains much less genes period.

when you get Mtdna from your mother , she gives you also a part of her paternal genes................you do not get only her maternal side

when you get Mtdna from your mother , she gives you also a part of her paternal genes................you do not get only her maternal side

That's not how it works. Your mother's mtDNA comes from only her mother. You are probably thinking of the X chromosome, which functions in a manner similar to autosomal DNA and is thus irrelevant to this discussion.

Y DNA makes a man out of a woman. If there was no Y chromosome there wouldn't be men, only women. As we know a man is somewhat different from a woman in behaviour and a look. So, yes to the main question.

Y DNA makes a man out of a woman. If there was no Y chromosome there wouldn't be men, only women. As we know a man is somewhat different from a woman in behaviour and a look. So, yes to the main question.

Wow! That answer was nice and simple; we tend to overcomplicate things way too often...

That's not how it works. Your mother's mtDNA comes from only her mother. You are probably thinking of the X chromosome, which functions in a manner similar to autosomal DNA and is thus irrelevant to this discussion.

Are you saying that all other chromosomes come only via ydna .....and only the X chromosome comes form Mtdna ?

Are you saying that all other chromosomes come only via ydna .....and only the X chromosome comes form Mtdna ?
I can't believe that you spend years around population genetics forums and you don't know what MtDNA is! Could you take few minutes off your busy schedule and educate yourself in the subject, before you'll dig a bigger hole for yourself.
For your information MtDNA stands for Mitochondrial DNA, not Maternal DNA some would guess which could imply X chromosome. X is in Nuclear DNA, which has nothing to do with MtDNA. Read more here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_DNA

I can't believe that you spend years around population genetics forums and you don't know what MtDNA is! Could you take few minutes off your busy schedule and educate yourself in the subject, before you'll dig a bigger hole for yourself.
For your information MtDNA stands for Mitochondrial DNA, not Maternal DNA some would guess which could imply X chromosome. X is in Nuclear DNA, which has nothing to do with MtDNA. Read more here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_DNA

What part are you missing in.........Are you saying ?

here is help for you with chromosome

Asexually reproducing species have one set of chromosomes, which are the same in all body cells. However, asexual species can be either haploid or diploid.
Sexually reproducing species have somatic cells (body cells), which are diploid [2n] having two sets of chromosomes (23 pairs in humans with one set of 23 chromosomes from each parent), one set from the mother and one from the father.

Asexually reproducing species have one set of chromosomes, which are the same in all body cells. However, asexual species can be either haploid or diploid.
Sexually reproducing species have somatic cells (body cells), which are diploid [2n] having two sets of chromosomes (23 pairs in humans with one set of 23 chromosomes from each parent), one set from the mother and one from the father.
Still digging, ha? And honestly it is hard to make sense of your train of thoughts. Do you get the difference between mitochondrial and nuclear DNA? I doubt it.

Simply tell us where X chromosome on MtDNA is? And when you at it try also finding Y on it. How come you know about this and all the scientists missed it.
Best, cite material from Wiki or any site on internet to speed up the process.

Last edited:

You're quite clearly confused. Actually try to refrain from posting about things you don't know, so as not to embarrass yourself like you just did.

am I still confused?

or the question is that
a man with Y-DNA for example I2a1 will have different physical look and behavour from a man with I2a2?

what has to do with mtDNA?

Sile is right!

Human has 46 chromosomes. 23 chromosomes she/he gets from her/his mother. The mother has also 46 chromosomes and 23 of them are from her father. Because chromosomes exist in 2 pairs. So human being can get (indirectly via mother) some chromosomes from her/his maternal grandfather.

chromosomes.png

Y chromosome is a little bit more influential because it can determine sexes, because it has power to influence the hormone balance. But that nothing to do with Y-DNA haplogroups. It doesn't matter someone is hg. E, R1b or G2a.

Y chromosome is one of the 46 other chromosomes. It has even less genes than other chromosome, the only difference is that it can change the balance of hormones.

Chromosomes are nothing but packages of DNA. Chromosomes can't change anything, it is the DNA/genes within those chromosomes that are influential.

1/46 = 0.02174 . Y chromosome 'package' has only max 0.02174 % of our DNA information / genetic data.

ALL 46 chromosome 'packages' have some influence on phenotype.

My answer is: "Y-DNA slightly influences a man's physical appearance and his behaviour" , because ALL chromosome influences human's physical appearance and behaviour , to some degree . Because there is some genetic data (genes) in all chromosome packages.

But it has nothing to do with haplogroups. Man's physical appearance is determined by auDNA (genes), or by ALL 46 chromosome 'packages' of those genes. That's why every human is original and unique..

Average percentage of single chromosome influence is 1/46 = 0.02174 %

This thread has been viewed 43354 times.

Back