How many billion of people earth could potentially support.

How many people earth can support.

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
earth_lights_lrg.jpg

Why do you keep insisting on the cute factor. In reality the cute factor is not the case. I tried to give you examples. The cute factor applies more to a kindergarden classroom lesson rather then a more scientific and mature environmental challenge wild habitat is facing.
Cuteness works with general population, attracts the crowds with kids to the zoo, where they are introduced with preservation programs, cuteness opens wallets for these programs, and elects green parties.
I don't believe I would get any money or a praise from neighbors, when I open a habitat for mosquitoes, spiders and snakes in my yard.

By the way even we do not live it....humans are having a huge impact on the seas, apart from over fishing which effects the Oceans and seas food chain there is an incredibel amount of pollution created by humans were huge areas of the oceans are simply turned into a rubbish dump.
I said many times that we should spend our limited money to protect oceans and rivers, then for less beneficial composting in the city, and usually terribly designed recycling programs. It will be much easier in the future to recycle garbage from a hole in the ground than all water in oceans.

Cuteness works with general population, attracts the crowds with kids to the zoo, where they are introduced with preservation programs, cuteness opens wallets for these programs, and elects green parties.
I don't believe I would get any money or a praise from neighbors, when I open a habitat for mosquitoes, spiders and snakes in my yard.

:grin: It really does not have to be a programme in your yard, its something on a much more scientific and coordinated level. Mosquitoes that evolve naturally in a natural protected environment would not effect a homosapien yard or garden or city, although these would generate their own mosquito breeding grounds for various reasons. In regards to wallets since $ seem to be an ingrained part of some humans, its good to know that adventure (connected with nature) has been on the rise year on year. Some countries in Africa are getting a healthy income from Safari 'holidays'. The more crammed the world is getting the more enthusiasm there is for nature holidays (Trekking diving and so on) so getting good for the wallet too as the demand is very healthy. Zoos have also come a long way on how they keep their animals and the space provided. There is nothing wrong with Zoos but they do not really represent wild life conservation although they have been helping in some species not to go extinct. However wild life conservation is a completely different matter from the cuteness of some Zoo animals that would attract a nice day out for family or School children.

I said many times that we should spend our limited money to protect oceans and rivers, then for less beneficial composting in the city, and usually terribly designed recycling programs. It will be much easier in the future to recycle garbage from a hole in the ground than all water in oceans.

You might be right. I am not really literate on how well recycling programs work, but I am 100% sure if they are not in place we will soon be living in disaster zones. I was lucky to visit the system in Vienna and I was very impressed on how well it works. The only thing I did not like is the residue of poison metals through the incineration part of it. We actually do not have any way how to destroy this residue and its stored. But for how long?. Austria example only landfills some 2% of all waste produced and most of its old landfills have been or being generated into non toxic grounds. Up to 100 years ago refuse was all organic. Basically it would decompose naturally. These days refuse is HIGHLY TOXIC. Apart from the huge amount of plastics used for wrapping there are a good percentage of appliances and gadgets that have highly toxic materials. They cannot simply be dumped in a land fill. This would be a total disaster for humanity no matter how unaware one can be of the situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...smelly-contaminated-disease-worlds-open-dumps

The Earth will not look good with so many people. I dunno, I think measures must be taken to stop the madness of over-population.

I was looking at lights of India! Its projected that they will reach 1.6 billion at some point. But also India 's economy is growing so there will be more street light at night in India. Seen from the space India will look a bright area with no dark shades.

I was looking at lights of India! Its projected that they will reach 1.6 billion at some point. But also India 's economy is growing so there will be more street light at night in India. Seen from the space India will look a bright area with no dark shades.
Interestingly India is brighter than China, though China is much advanced economically.

Good Try but Hell NO :grin:

to leave in France standard, we need 2,5 Earth in 2012, now we need 3 Blue Planet.

After thinking that you killed all big mammals in a few seconds. (You said "Keep in mind that existence of big wild mammals is not necessary for people to exist.")
I guess, definition of sustainability is really different in your head (y)
_83647604_ecological-footprint-by-country.png
160804_sri_graphic_earth_overshoot_earths_1.jpg

Yes, seems that Malthus was right:

Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio, Subsistence, increases only in an arithmetical ratio.

Yes, seems that Malthus was right:

Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio, Subsistence, increases only in an arithmetical ratio.
Any any other life form on Earth. ;)

most likely between 10-12 billion, but then again we might improve in our consumption and have more sophisticated agriculture and better city planning to support more population

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/climate/voluntary-human-extinction.html

The world's population reached 8 billion people on November 15, 2022. It is likely that we are close to that number today, but has it really been that this number was reached on that date? The UN worked with a population projection in Brazil of around 213,000,000 in 2022. Well, the projections of the 2022 demographic census, released today by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (the last census in Brazil was in 2010), indicate that the country's population is 207,750 291 inhabitants in 2022. It seems that the projections were wrong in more than 5,000,000 people and, as everything indicates, the birth rate of the country that was calculated in 2022 at 1.7 children per woman is in reality, much lower than that.

Well, so much for the old idea that we would need to be able to colonize other planets because of our ever sky rocketing population growth.

Instead we'll become a world of AARP members.

How my father would have hated that. We were looking for a condo in Florida for their winters and for us to come down on school breaks and he turned down city after city because it was all old people! We finally found a place in a beautiful town with a decent demographic curve and some semblance of a cultural life.

I feel the same way about certain vacations. I saw a brochure for an Alaska cruise and there wasn't a person under 50. I've been told those river cruises in Europe are the same. Not for me, ever, thank-you very much. So many older people I meet stopped growing intellectually at about 35 it sometimes seems to me. I cannot believe how many don't use google very much, never mind youtube or twitter. In fact they can't use their laptops properly, or their phones. My relatives in Italy, the women, are the worst! The shock when I fly over and rent a car myself nowadays, and go exploring to cities where I've never been. It's the same with clothes. I still make my own sfoglia, but that doesn't mean I have to wear dowdy clothes. I mean, I'm not wearing leggings and a midriff top to the store anymore, just because I think it would look a bit inappropriate, but if I'm going running I'm going to wear the proper gear!

Well, so much for the old idea that we would need to be able to colonize other planets because of our ever sky rocketing population growth.

Instead we'll become a world of AARP members.

How my father would have hated that. We were looking for a condo in Florida for their winters and for us to come down on school breaks and he turned down city after city because it was all old people! We finally found a place in a beautiful town with a decent demographic curve and some semblance of a cultural life.

I feel the same way about certain vacations. I saw a brochure for an Alaska cruise and there wasn't a person under 50. I've been told those river cruises in Europe are the same. Not for me, ever, thank-you very much. So many older people I meet stopped growing intellectually at about 35 it sometimes seems to me. I cannot believe how many don't use google very much, never mind youtube or twitter. In fact they can't use their laptops properly, or their phones. My relatives in Italy, the women, are the worst! The shock when I fly over and rent a car myself nowadays, and go exploring to cities where I've never been. It's the same with clothes. I still make my own sfoglia, but that doesn't mean I have to wear dowdy clothes. I mean, I'm not wearing leggings and a midriff top to the store anymore, just because I think it would look a bit inappropriate, but if I'm going running I'm going to wear the proper gear!

This is it, Angela ;)

Traveling and seeing people in busy places and young people having fun in the real world and not in the metaverse imagined by Zuckerberg is much better. I had only one child because my wife, after giving birth, began to suffer from chronic hypertension. The two-child project was abandoned due to the risk of eclampsia in a second pregnancy. My son has been dating a beautiful and very responsible girl for six years. He spends more time at her house, which has its own apartment, than here at home. The two so far only care about working and saving money. They don't even mention children. My wife, on a day when the four of us went out for dinner, effusively mentioned her desire to be a grandmother and I could clearly see the discomfort of my son and his girlfriend. My wife had already had a little too much to drink and, just in case, I had to poke her under the table lol. In 2023, my son moves to the south of Brazil, leaving the Southeast, to start a new professional stage in the South. I want to see how the two are going to get ready. She does a lot of ‘remote work’ and the commuting to South would not be a problem for her. Both BH and the city he goes to are state capitals connected by duplicated and privatized federal highways (tolls) and have international airports. The two cities are connected by a duplicate motorway and are 980 km apart and a car trip could take 13h 48min. The air connection between the two cities is frequent and the two cities are served by the best air (and also road) transport companies in the country, which means that there will be no problems of displacement between the two cities (for them and, of course, for us, the parents lol, either by car, plane or bus). Children don't seem to be in their plans, and that seems to be the reality for all of my son's college classmates, all in their 27-year-old range. Today he, his girlfriend and some friends from college come here at home to play playing PlayStation 5. They just want to enjoy life and, from what I feel, children get in the way of their plans. My wife has just gone out to buy snacks to serve them, like the dutiful mother that she is, lol.

This is it, Angela ;)

Traveling and seeing people in busy places and young people having fun in the real world and not in the metaverse imagined by Zuckerberg is much better. I had only one child because my wife, after giving birth, began to suffer from chronic hypertension. The two-child project was abandoned due to the risk of eclampsia in a second pregnancy. My son has been dating a beautiful and very responsible girl for six years. He spends more time at her house, which has its own apartment, than here at home. The two so far only care about working and saving money. They don't even mention children. My wife, on a day when the four of us went out for dinner, effusively mentioned her desire to be a grandmother and I could clearly see the discomfort of my son and his girlfriend. My wife had already had a little too much to drink and, just in case, I had to poke her under the table lol. In 2023, my son moves to the south of Brazil, leaving the Southeast, to start a new professional stage in the South. I want to see how the two are going to get ready. She does a lot of ‘remote work’ and the commuting to South would not be a problem for her. Both BH and the city he goes to are state capitals connected by duplicated and privatized federal highways (tolls) and have international airports. The two cities are connected by a duplicate motorway and are 980 km apart and a car trip could take 13h 48min. The air connection between the two cities is frequent and the two cities are served by the best air (and also road) transport companies in the country, which means that there will be no problems of displacement between the two cities (for them and, of course, for us, the parents lol, either by car, plane or bus). Children don't seem to be in their plans, and that seems to be the reality for all of my son's college classmates, all in their 27-year-old range. Today he, his girlfriend and some friends from college come here at home to play playing PlayStation 5. They just want to enjoy life and, from what I feel, children get in the way of their plans. My wife has just gone out to buy snacks to serve them, like the dutiful mother that she is, lol.

I have a son like that. He told me flat out that he doesn't want children because he doesn't want to make all the sacrifices he saw us make. It made me a little sad, for a lot of reasons but particularly that I worry I somehow made it seem a burden, whereas they have brought me far more joy than anything in my life other than my parents and my husband. Still, better to know you would resent it and not have them.

My daughter is getting baby fever. She told her brother that when she does have a child, he won't be first in my heart anymore; it will be her children. When I'm 90+ and they're over for dinner they'll still be arguing as to who is my favorite. :)

I believe that the UN will have a lot of work ahead of it in the sense of review its projections, including those referring to the population growth of some countries and, of course, of the world. Look at the case of Brazil.

Forecasts:
July 2023-July 2024 estimates from the
2022 U.N. Revision

• The current population of Brazil is 216,472,232as of Sunday, July 16, 2023, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data 1.
  • Brazil 2023 population is estimated at 216,422,446 people at mid year.
Reality:

Brazil's annual population growth slowed over the past decade to its lowest since records began 150 years ago, the government statistics agency said on Wednesday, as people in one of the world's most populous countries have fewer children.

Latin America's largest nation had 203,062,512 inhabitants in August 2022, the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IGBE) said.

Yearly population growth between 2010 and 2022 reached 0.52%, the IGBE said, the lowest since the series started in 1872. Brazil's population growth has been slowing since the 1960s, which the agency said reflected lower birth rates.

In 2022, the annual growth rate has been reduced to less than half of what it was in 2010 (1.17%)," census technical coordinator Luciano Duarte said in a statement.

The total population of the country will start to decline already in the first half of the 2030s.

This thread has been viewed 38175 times.

Back