New map of Y-haplogroup J2b1 (M205)

Yeah I don't take them too seriously or some allegedly medieval texts. Stories people tell does not automatically=fact either.
But that's just me I'm very skeptical of BS but some people like it.

J2b in Balkan Bronze Age by the way and a J2 in Austrian LBK.

The easy solution is to say the word was 'Paleo-Balkanic' or something.

Western and not western scholars have biases. When a medieval Greek text talks about some Sclavenes coming from the 'Western Ocean' the western scholar thinks the Baltic Sea which can be correct but I thought that if the geographical knowledge of the author was that bad maybe he could have called the Adriatic as 'the Western Ocean'(?)

Maybe. But first we have to decide about the existence or not of this Sclavenes, because the last studies deny their existence.

While we're on the subject of Alexander The Great. It's kinda interesting that Makedonija has the Mak which means in Serbo-Croatian Bosnian whatever Poppy so Poppy seeds = Mak
Macedonian word for poppy is Afion... Afganistan?
The Greek word for poppy is Paparouna

Did any fancy linguist academics notice this interesting connection...

There are no scholars who deal with this kind of interpretation, because it's a speculation. There are no connections between ancient Macedonian language and the slavic language of serbs, croats or bosnians.
I can make a very logic connection between the word Emathia and Macedon and i can explain it in Albanian language. But this are just personal observations. If you ask any average Albanian, he can make this explanation. But not necessarily every logical explanation is the real truth. This things are complicated.

L283 in India indeed supports an IE origin, but I'm wondering, how much Alexander the great's conquests and the numerous kingdoms of his successors would spread Greek and other Balkan haplogroups in Iran and south Asia ? one way to resolve this is to test deep clades.

Alexander's army never reached India proper, only Pakistan, and they didn't stay long (326 to 325 BCE), not long enough to have a noticeable genetic impact with only 15,000 soldiers, who were defeated and hurried back to West Asia.

Off topic

"The name Macedonia (Greek: Μακεδονία, Makedonía) comes from the ethnonym Μακεδόνες (Makedónes), which itself is derived from the ancient Greek adjective μακεδνός (makednós), meaning "tall", possibly descriptive of the people. It also shares the same root as the noun μάκρος (mákros), meaning "length" in both ancient and modern Greek. The name is originally believed to have meant either "highlanders", "the tall ones", or "high grown men".Robert S. P. Beekes supports the idea that both terms are of Pre-Greek substrate origin and cannot be explained in terms of Indo-European morphology."

The term comes from Greek. But if we look for the source and according to Beeks we possibly may have to dig deep into Paleobalkan languages (seems legit).

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Off topic

"The name Macedonia (Greek: Μακεδονία, Makedonía) comes from the ethnonym Μακεδόνες (Makedónes), which itself is derived from the ancient Greek adjective μακεδνός (makednós), meaning "tall", possibly descriptive of the people. It also shares the same root as the noun μάκρος (mákros), meaning "length" in both ancient and modern Greek. The name is originally believed to have meant either "highlanders", "the tall ones", or "high grown men".Robert S. P. Beekes supports the idea that both terms are of Pre-Greek substrate origin and cannot be explained in terms of Indo-European morphology."

The term comes from Greek. But if we look for the source and according to Beeks we possibly may have to dig deep into Paleobalkan languages (seems legit).

And if Makedonian mean tall, in Albanian language before the standardization of the language I Math mean tall for men and E Mathe mean again tall for women. I said before the standardization of Albanian language, because today we use to say I Madh and E Madhe, but the elders continue to say E mathia or e mathija.

Emathia is not related etymologically with Macedonia.

The region is even mention by Homer and the word is PIE derived. Means sandy land.

There are no scholars who deal with this kind of interpretation, because it's a speculation. There are no connections between ancient Macedonian language and the slavic language of serbs, croats or bosnians.
I can make a very logic connection between the word Emathia and Macedon and i can explain it in Albanian language. But this are just personal observations. If you ask any average Albanian, he can make this explanation. But not necessarily every logical explanation is the real truth. This things are complicated.

So you're saying no speculation is ever done by any scholars? That's like saying scientists never experiment things.
And you're also saying that truth is sometimes too complicated to be logical. So what is your point exactly?
You don't have to answer btw it's more a rhetorical question. I don't know if you're trying to suck me into some senseless debate but it won't work, as I said I have low patience and tolerance for that.
You believe whatever you want, and I'll believe what I want. The sooner you make peace with that the better trust me. Save yourself the time and energy.

And if you trust wikipedia it basically says not much is known about the ancient Macedonian language (no surprise there) and it's "speculated" that it might have been a variety of ancient Northwestern Greek dialects.

So you're saying no speculation is ever done by any scholars? That's like saying scientists never experiment things.
And you're also saying that truth is sometimes too complicated to be logical. So what is your point exactly?
You don't have to answer btw it's more a rhetorical question. I don't know if you're trying to suck me into some senseless debate but it won't work, as I said I have low patience and tolerance for that.
You believe whatever you want, and I'll believe what I want. The sooner you make peace with that the better trust me. Save yourself the time and energy.

And if you trust wikipedia it basically says not much is known about the ancient Macedonian language (no surprise there) and it's "speculated" that it might have been a variety of ancient Northwestern Greek dialects.

Right, i will save my time and energy and i will answer you with a rhetorical question. What have to do Vuk Karadžić with this story?

Alexander's army never reached India proper, only Pakistan, and they didn't stay long (326 to 325 BCE), not long enough to have a noticeable genetic impact with only 15,000 soldiers, who were defeated and hurried back to West Asia.
If not the campaign of Alexander, which I agree didn't affect much, then what about the succeeding Indo-Greek kingdom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Greek_Kingdom) which must have included some Greeks in it's population, maybe administrators and some soldiers.

a map of it's campaigns

800px-IndoGreekCampaings.jpg

Even the E-V13 in Iran and Kurds I believe is of Greek origin, remnants from the Seleucid Empire, obviously they weren't the majority, but mainly political elites and some part of the military.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 47116 times.

Back