Why when R and J haplogroups mix, the result are these people these appearances?

andresasj

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Caucasian
Why when R and J haplogroups mix in a people, the result are these appearances?
I don't know that all results in this appearences. But in certain populations, the people have whith darth skin but the appearence caucasian, why?

Melungeons: Y haplogrupos R1b, R1a, J2 and E3a.
View attachment 8088

Dravidians: In most, Y Haplogroups R1a, R2, H(Middle East origin), J(Middle East origin too)and L(Middle East origin too).

View attachment 8089

What happens? Could someone explain me?

I'm really sorry about this but I'm not quite sure what the question is. :(

I'm really sorry about this but I'm not quite sure what the question is. :(

The question is: "Why when R and J haplogroups mix, the result are these people these appearances?" whith darth skin but the appearence caucasian.

Why when R and J haplogroups mix in a people, the result are these appearances?
I don't know that all results in this appearences. But in certain populations, the people have whith darth skin but the appearence caucasian, why?

Melungeons: Y haplogrupos R1b, R1a, J2 and E3a.
View attachment 8088

Dravidians: In most, Y Haplogroups R1a, R2, H(Middle East origin), J(Middle East origin too)and L(Middle East origin too).

View attachment 8089

What happens? Could someone explain me?

I am not sure about the question but the Dravidians certanly have quite significantly more of other Haplogroups too, as well aDNA that is not much connected to either J or R.

The Melongeons are also of multi_Ethnic background.

A population with the connection of J and R is more typical found in South Europe and parts of West Asia. Skin color is one of the least things connected to yDNA imo. There are other things that are more connected to it.

Your thinking too much into Y-DNA here, J and R men don't reproduce with each other, they partner with women who bring their own autosomal DNA.

For the Melungeons, we know they have African slaves among their ancestors and autosomal DNA from Africa. If I remember well, the founders of their community were European men with African women who eloped into the woods.

For Dravidians, the regional base of population, which date back to the last Ice Age, is related to the Australian Aborigines. Even if the J and R men carried the light skin genes, they were drowned in the local women's dark skin genes pool. Especially since dark skin is probably advantageous in both countries' latitude and are likely to be selected for in these populations.

What about Italy and especially central and southern Italy where there has been a lot of mixing of R1b and J clades? People from there don't look anything like the photos at the top.

Your thinking too much into Y-DNA here, J and R men don't reproduce with each other, they partner with women who bring their own autosomal DNA.

For the Melungeons, we know they have African slaves among their ancestors and autosomal DNA from Africa. If I remember well, the founders of their community were European men with African women who eloped into the woods.

For Dravidians, the regional base of population, which date back to the last Ice Age, is related to the Australian Aborigines. Even if the J and R men carried the light skin genes, they were drowned in the local women's dark skin genes pool. Especially since dark skin is probably advantageous in both countries' latitude and are likely to be selected for in these populations.

Sorry, I just saw this. The women, based on mtDna, were European. The men were mixed African and European. Only one of the tested people showed Amerindian ancestry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon_DNA_Project

"One result of the Melungeon DNA project shows participant breakdown by haplogroup as follows: R1b (38 people) 47.5%, E1b1a (27 people) 33.75%, R1a (6 people) 7.5%, I1 (3 people) 3.75%, A (2 people) 2.5%, E1b1b1 (2 people) 2.5%, Q1a3a1 (1 person) 1.25%, I2 (1 person) 1.25%.[3]The results-by-surnames-tested are not shown on the public website for the project, but it is reported that all the mtDNA of subjects tested was found to be of European origin."

So, maybe 35-40% African y, the rest European, and so far all European mtDna.

Some of it probably happened in the very early window when Africans were still like indentured servants, and could work their way out of slavery. Also, in those earlier periods, the children of free white women and an enslaved man were born free.

They married among each other for perhaps 200 years but since the beginning of the 20th century they've mostly been marrying "white", so a lot of them don't show much if any trace of SSA.

You still find some internet stuff where certain families are trying to hold onto the old stories that they're "Portuguese" or mainly Indian, but the uniparental markers seem to me to present irrefutable evidence.

Goins family in the 19th century:
Goins.jpg

As time passed:
GoinsRelatives.jpg

Brent Kennedy:
brent-kennedy.jpg

I suspect Melungeon from Appalachia in the USA. I don’t know my y haplogroup but I test positive for basque, Iberian, GB, and my haplogroup mtdna is J1c1. Possible?

I’m from the area. My family is and I test positive for Portuguese and Spanish along with European.

Melungeons have nothing in particular to do with Spaniards or the Portuguese, at least not within the last 200 years. (The only exception would be if an African woman was impregnated by a Portuguese or Spanish crewman on one of the slaving ships in the 17th or very early 18th century when the community formed.) The only way a percentage of Iberian in a person of mostly Northwestern European ancestry could refer back to that event is if there is substantially more of such Iberian ancestry than is typical for Northwestern Europeans, as they often get a bit of it.

If you have any SSA and any connection to their geographical areas you could check your genealogical family tree to see if any of the "Melungeon surnames" appear.

This thread has been viewed 8068 times.

Back