Author Stephen King belongs to Y-haplogroup I2a2a

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Stephen King, the famous author of horror storieshorror stories horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, science fiction, and fantasy, belongs to haplogroup I2a2a, apparently to the Y7272 deep clade (TMRCA 650 ybp according to Yfull), downstream of the Germanic branch Z161 and its S2364 subclade.

His father changed his surname from Pollock to King. I traced back his genealogy and found a match in the Pollock DNA Project. Most Pollocks belong to the same haplotype (I2a2a, although WorldFamilies still use the I2b1 of the old nomenclature) and one of them tested positive for the Y7272 subclade. Henry Louis Gates mentioned in the second season of Finding Your Roots that Stephen King matched 19 other Pollocks in the database, which confirms my own investigations.

My father, Carleton Pollock (now deceased) is of the Y7272 subclade and in the Polk-Pollock-Pogue Project of the FTDNA/World Families site. Per YFull, he was the first to test as such with Y7280 & Y7281 also being included. Only one other has tested as Y7272 in the Pollock lineage since then. Could you please tell me what test Stephen King took and if there are others in the same subclade?

Can we really associate I2a2a-Z161 specifically with Germanic people ???

IIRC, it was widespread already in the Bronze Age: from Iberia to Western Russia.

Today it seems to correlate with Germanic-speakers but it could be a coincidence.

On the other hand, I2a2b-L38 seems to be correlated with Celts (Unetice).

G2a2b2a1b-L497 can also be associated with Celts (the Hallstatt branch).

I wonder what other Non-R1b-P312 haplogroups correlate with Celts?

Can we really associate I2a2a-Z161 specifically with Germanic people ???

IIRC, it was widespread already in the Bronze Age: from Iberia to Western Russia.

Today it seems to correlate with Germanic-speakers but it could be a coincidence.

On the other hand, I2a2b-L38 seems to be correlated with Celts (Unetice).

G2a2b2a1b-L497 can also be associated with Celts (the Hallstatt branch).

I wonder what other Non-R1b-P312 haplogroups correlate with Celts?

I think you are confusing I2a2a* (M223) with I2a2a-Z161. Have a look at my recently updated phylogenetic tree.

I2a2-tree.png

Actually, the true Germanic subclade is L801 just under Z161, which has a TMRCA of 4000 years, placing it just before the Nordic Bronze Age. The deep clade most strongly associated with Iron Age Germanic migrations is S2364, which has many subclades of its own (enough to make another tree), many of which expanded during the Iron Age. Stephen King's deep clade is under S2364.

As for R1a, Z284 is strongly associated with Germanic groups.

But L664 could be both Germanic and Italo-Celtic, in my opinion.

I concur with that.

Dear Maciamo,

Can we attribute the presence of I-A427 and I-Y7219 in Northern Italy to Germanic or Celtic settlements?

Do you have any idea about 8-64955 just below i-S2364?

Do you have any idea about i-Y4955 just below i-S2364?

I totally could see Stephen King being of non-R1b heritage, just based on physiognomy. He has that look that I can only describe as Neanderthalic, a bit more caveman-like for lack of a better term. Obviously IJ is the ancestor of both Semites and proto-Europeans. I see this ruggedness in Balkanites and also some Scandinavians... Take Felix "PewDiePie" for instance. Not bad looking... just a bit less delicate and refined around the palate and brow.

Pollock I assume also indicates heritage from Poland.

God spare me. What someone looks like is determined by the TOTALITY of the dna, not just by what's on the ychromosome, or the mtDna, for that matter.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. carries both an R1b ydna (probaby Irish), and a European mtDna (probably English):
equality-henry-louis-gates-jr.jpg

Dear Angela and the person that that liked your comment. I never said that Y-DNA determines physically appearance. Nor did I suggest that it isn't the totality of DNA. God spare me from non-sequitors.

I am however suggesting that autosomal DNA is not entirely spurious from the Y-DNA it is paired with. This is a statistical argument. I have already made mention that the surname Pollack indicates possible ancestry from Poland, a country with a healthy amount of I2. England has more I1 that I2. That alone makes my muse logical. But for the sake of argument, I would even argue that in a homogenized English population one could detect a slight difference if one computed the average appearance of all R1b people vs all I people. Until fairly recent in evolutionary history, reproduction was highly localised, and that, combined with founder effect and bottle necks, makes the premise possible. Finally, one could even argue that assortative mating could play a role in thwarting the full integration and harmonization of two different Y-DNA haplogroup populations. Would females with I-associated autosomal DNA have been more likely to seek out male I Y-DNA carriers? I would argue yes.

Here is another person I think would be statistically more likely to be I than the average white American: George Carlin.

So, statistically speaking, men who carry I tend to have more "caveman" like looks? Is that what you're saying?

Well it must be true because we already know that Bosnians look more caveman-like in physiognomy than the Irish or English.

But yes, I am saying that even within-population the effect holds true, even if just by autosomal echo.

Well, if we're going to cherry pick, there's Tesla, and Napoleon III, but forget it; not interested enough, and nothing I say would convince you anyway.

People have believed sillier things.

So, statistically speaking, men who carry I tend to have more "caveman" like looks? Is that what you're saying?
It is true that we i2 (and i1) sometimes are more rugged looking and may have slightly thinner/longer faces than most with more prominent facial bones. Not sure what caveman look is but could be that early i2 (i1?) picked up some neanderthal dna by mixing with their women after wiping them out
Stephen king though doesnt look much like scandinavians, ukrainians or croatians and has a unique looking nose he probably picked up from native americans or western europeans as this nose is super rare in balkanities and scandinavians. Though he does have a somewhat thin longish face

Last edited:
It was the Maine winters that gave Steve his rough looks. ;)

This thread has been viewed 20910 times.

Back