New pages dedicated to the genetics of the LBK and TRB cultures

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
You may have seen the new page on the Funnelbeaker (TRB) culture a few weeks ago. Today I have added another one for the Linear Pottery (LBK) culture. Starcevo will be next.

Linear Pottery Culture (c. 5600-4250 BCE)

The expansion of Neolithic farmers from the Danube to Central Europe as far west as the Low Countries and northern France.

Funnel-beaker Culture (c. 4200-2650 BCE)

The expansion of Neolithic farmers into Scandinavia, followed by the arrival of Megalithic cultures around the North European Plain and southern Scandinavia.

Wait we have Y HG samples from Maykop? I feel like I would know about this. I thought it was only mtDNA rumors or something like that.

Wait we have Y HG samples from Maykop? I feel like I would know about this. I thought it was only mtDNA rumors or something like that.

Where did you see any mention of Maykop?

You may have seen the new page on the Funnelbeaker (TRB) culture a few weeks ago. Today I have added another one for the Linear Pottery (LBK) culture. Starcevo will be next.

The expansion of Neolithic farmers into Scandinavia, followed by the arrival of Megalithic cultures around the North European Plain and southern Scandinavia.

Funnelbeaker culture seems to me a very curious one: it seems the meeting place of two big influences: a (surely) western megalithic one and an I-E (or PIE?) eastern one;

The LBK spread seem to have justified limits: in the south the previous Balkan Neolithic cultures and the Cardial Culture would stop a free advance; the Alps don't allow agriculture as from 900 mm of anual rainfall the crops fail. The northern limit could have other explanations: a high Mesolithic density based in maritime resources, or the temporary effect of the deposition of tons of salt in the coastal areas after the tsunami produced by the Storegga slide.

The interesing question here is to ask why LBK stopped in the Northeast.

OK Berun. But I was thinking in contacts-partial osmosis for Northern FBK rather than in limits/oppositions.

Apologize, Berun! You were speaking of LBK not FBK; it explains the large extension you mentioned. I 'm growing old!

Funnelbeaker culture seems to me a very curious one: it seems the meeting place of two big influences: a (surely) western megalithic one and an I-E (or PIE?) eastern one;

Your thinking has already a long history:

North European Hypothesis

and from an archaeological point of view it makes more sense than the steppe theory... and it would be my second choice if the "Minsk-Kazan line" bet would fail (by now R1a is the haplo related to IE as it sticks on the sure IE culture Corded Ware).

I've not the knowledge to judge here; but the physical type of some people of the NW FBK in megaliths doesn't point either to 'archaic' HG types (Ertebölle?) or previous 'danubian-W-anatolian-mediter' type (ough!) or 'corded' dominant type (of more eastern origin I think), spite it showed some 'mediter' ties (but different: low face, and LOW skulls; dolicho what was common to a lot of types of diverse origins).

Your thinking has already a long history:

North European Hypothesis

and from an archaeological point of view it makes more sense than the steppe theory... and it would be my second choice if the "Minsk-Kazan line" bet would fail (by now R1a is the haplo related to IE as it sticks on the sure IE culture Corded Ware).

It's true. Ask any Russian archaeologist. The origins of what became the steppe horizons appear to be wedges from the North. It's funny. Even a Baltic homeland is more likely than a West Asian. It looks like a continuum from Samara through Karelia to perhaps the Baltic.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 10200 times.

Back