Popularity of Thanksgiving foods by state

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is one of those fun collections of data. It's based on requests for recipes, so it may not actually be about the most "popular" foods, but certainly at least a lot of people want to learn how to make them.

If you know the states, some of them are spot on. For example, flan for New York's large Hispanic community and Sopapilla cake for Texas, Collard greens in North Carolina etc. I got a kick from the stuffed mushrooms in New Jersey too, as the result of the large number of Italian Americans there. One year I think the most requested recipe for both New York and New Jersey was stuffed artichokes. It just goes to show how immigrants blend some of the old with the new. I know a lot of Italian American families that serve lasagna as a first course. We had my mother's ravioli alla genovese. Then all the rest of that carb and fat heavy meal. That's why so many people fall asleep after the meal while they're watching football. It's a food coma! :)

http://static3.businessinsider.com/.../bi-graphics_most popular halloween candy.png

bi-graphics_most%20popular%20halloween%20candy.png

I thought it would be cranberry pie or sauce, not sweet potatoes for my state.

My state must be full of hipsters, we have Turkey Brine.

I am VERY surprised that soup shows up for a few states. I have never been to a Thanksgiving Dinner where soup was served, not even among those who love their Borscht.

(Please excuse the March commenting, I just joined and it's such an interesting graphic.)

This is one of those fun collections of data. It's based on requests for recipes, so it may not actually be about the most "popular" foods, but certainly at least a lot of people want to learn how to make them.

If you know the states, some of them are spot on. For example, flan for New York's large Hispanic community and Sopapilla cake for Texas, Collard greens in North Carolina etc. I got a kick from the stuffed mushrooms in New Jersey too, as the result of the large number of Italian Americans there. One year I think the most requested recipe for both New York and New Jersey was stuffed artichokes. It just goes to show how immigrants blend some of the old with the new. I know a lot of Italian American families that serve lasagna as a first course. We had my mother's ravioli alla genovese. Then all the rest of that carb and fat heavy meal. That's why so many people fall asleep after the meal while they're watching football. It's a food coma! :)

http://static3.businessinsider.com/.../bi-graphics_most popular halloween candy.png
It doesn't show what people eat but what they may fix - curiosity, aspiration, etc. (Soup has to be an error!)

The collards for North Carolina is peculiar at first look. But I'll relate this story. In a Golden Corral restaurant (buffet type, with mostly 'American' home style foods) in a mid-Atlantic state, and elderly black gentleman asked (apparently) his 30-ish grandson what a vibrant green item was. The grandson said 'collards'. The item was turnip greens, complete with bits of diced turnip mixed in. Now, why did the older person ask, and why did not the younger person know? Collards after all is 'soul food'.

Collards in the South are poor people food. Mostly poor blacks, but poor whites eat them too. When cooked they have a faint green color. Cooking, collards will absolutely stink up the house with what can be truthfully described as sewer gas. But they taste pretty good, but they are no one's first choice for a green, soul food or no soul food. Non-poor Southerners, white and black, eat mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc., and reserve the 'pot liquor' (juice from cooking) as a special treat. Other greens like spinach, even poke sallet, too of course, are eaten.

I'll also say that I'm surprised that sweet potato/yam pie is not on the inquiry list. Beats pumpkin by a lot when made correctly.

https://delishably.com/vegetable-di...le-Harvest-and-Prepare-the-Poisonous-Pokeweed

In Brazil, this date is not celebrated. But I received these congratulations from an American friend that lives in Miami and I remembered that this date is very important and very celebrated in US. I repost the image here wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving Day.

8VJlh5a.mp4

In Brazil, this date is not celebrated. But I received these congratulations from an American friend that lives in Miami and I remembered that this date is very important and very celebrated in US. I repost the image here wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving Day.

8VJlh5a.mp4

thanks Duarte :)

Thanks, Duarte. Nice of you

This thread has been viewed 5564 times.

Back