What language does Armenian sound like?

What language does Armenian sound like? MULTIPLE CHOICE!

• Total voters
I think strange that almost nobody found that it sound like Sanskrit, actually i think it sounds like a mix of semitic and indo-iranian languages.

In my opinion it sound like Indo-Iranian language or rather the most close to it,the Hindu speakers however use to much *r,when i was listening to them especially if they talk fast or argue among themselves all i was listening is rrrrr,rrrrr,rrrr,that's first thing i noticed,even in sanskrit i believe the PIE *L merged with *R.

I was thinking to armenian all this, night how in my ears it really sounds so much like indo-iranian, and semitic, also indo-iranian sound something very " south ". I remember have listen a whole hittite text, and i had exactly the same feeling, with a lot of french R instead of rolling R like many indo-european even indo-iranian languages. Maybe, its not about the whole yamna culture, or R1b / R1a... And if, yamna was, dependent by two cultural center, one in the west Dereivka and one in the south-east, Maykop. Maybe that those two culture, are the source of Centum language for Dereivka and Satem language for Maykop. Maybe the R1b / R1a - Centum / Satem split is take the problem upside down. Maybe the relation with people and linguistic is more complicated that it can be.

Or even, Dereivka was the R1a center who breed with some kind of south middle eastern neolithic language, and Maykop was the R1b center, and that in movement Maykop fellow replace in ukraine R1a people to Poland and Lituania... But all this suppose that proto-indo-european was a long range lingua franca, thing that revolt a lot of historians or linguists. Thats the same reason, that R1b could not diffuse by transcaucasia, because it goes with the supposition than pre-proto-indo-european was a lingua franca in all anatolia, transcaucasia and norther iran.

Persian

Armenian language does not sound like Turkish and definitely has nothing to do with Georgian. I am Georgian and I can easily tell the difference (in terms of melody of the language) between this two languages just by hearing the sound of both of them. Armenian is unique, however, it sounds more like Persian to me.

Armenian, namely.

It sounds rather unique. I couldn't point out any language from the list of options. When I see a transliteration, I recognize it as Armenian in a few seconds.

I closed my eyes and heard the interview with the president, the first thing that came to mind was Hindi ...

And no it's not close to Arabic in any way.

I think Russian and Arabic are very different from Armenian.

Modern Russian is different, ancient did not.
"Yarkat" is a meteorite in old Russian, a lighting stone ("yar" as something FIREing) that rolled ("kat"-ed) from the sky.

BTW, people from Armenia which I know speaks Russian without an accent.

I'm Armenian, but I don't speak it as I grew up with Russian spoken at home. So while I can recognize Armenian when I hear it...it is still alien enough to me to try to unbiasedly answer this.

The true answer is Farsi. I mean, one is entitled to feel however they want about how a language sounds to them...but I feel like anyone familiar with phonetics for most these languages would say Farsi is the most similar sounding. Georgian may perhaps sound similar at times from a distance, but most Georgian words I've ever read or pronounced sound uniquely different from Armenian, to me.

I've read that genealogically, the closest language to Armenian that still exists is Greek. Armenian = Greco-Balkan IE mixed with Hurro-Urartian and dressed with a layer of Iranian. Herodotus wrote about the similarity between Armenian and Phrygian languages, which makes sense as they both descended from common IE roots. However, it was pre-Islamic Iran (Parthian Era especially) that left a profound impact on Armenian, introducing lots of Persian vocabulary and altering Armenian towards what it sounds like now. Also, I would wager if Hurrian-Urartian had any extant descendants it would sound somewhat Armenian as well.

Maybe I’m wrong but it sounds like Arab language

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

family origin of a language has little to see with its sonority; some languages have been passed from pops to pops (not in a second!) of diverse origin and the pronounciation suffered diverging evolutions - to me this armenian I heard here is of itself, and very hard (I don't heard very voiced consonnants, at first hearing); not too melodic (but it exists a sort of journalistic way of tell news which is articicial in some way, and the political discource could like it too); not to sweat! very different from Turkish and Georgian (this last one rather smeary, soft, closer to Slavics and Portuguese), and even from Iranic languages, to me. Just my point.

This thread has been viewed 26325 times.

Back