Need Help Interpreting DNA Results

cyeeyc

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First of all, this is my first post on this site. I should start by saying that my name is Kyla, I'm 23, and it's a pleasure meeting everyone. :rolleyes::)

Anyhow, I really need help with what to make of my ancestry results. Initially, I got my DNA tested through Ancestry.com, and I was immensely surprised by the results given what I know about my family through my grandmother's in-depth genealogy studies.

I then did some reading across the internet, and someone had recommended to actually upload the raw data from Ancestry.com to GEDmatch, specifically Eurogenes. So, I've done that, and my results are crazy-different, although more of what I'd expect, to be honest.

My Ancestry.com results: 67% Great Britain, 12% Scandinavian, and 9% Ireland
My Eurogenes results: 10.28% South Baltic, 8.6% Eastern Europe, 30% North-Central Europe, 11% West Mediterranean, 3% South Asian, 2.5% Ashkenazi, 7% West Asian, 1.5% East Mediterranean, 20% Atlantic

So, I am quite confused; if I run the raw data from Ancestry.com through Dodecad, around 17% of my ancestry is traced directly to Asia. These rather significant traces of Asia (notably in the west and south) show up in any version of Eurogenes or Dodecad that I run my raw data through, yet Ancestry.com effectively says that I'm like...well...Scandinavian, if I'm not mistaken.

So, why in the world is Ancestry.com the outlier here? It even dissents from what my grandmother says about my family (at least on her side). And, last I checked Great Britain, Ireland, and Scandinavia don't neighbor Asia, obviously.

Thanks for reading,
Kyla

Hi everyone!

First of all, this is my first post on this site. I should start by saying that my name is Kyla, I'm 23, and it's a pleasure meeting everyone. :rolleyes::)

Anyhow, I really need help with what to make of my ancestry results. Initially, I got my DNA tested through Ancestry.com, and I was immensely surprised by the results given what I know about my family through my grandmother's in-depth genealogy studies.

I then did some reading across the internet, and someone had recommended to actually upload the raw data from Ancestry.com to GEDmatch, specifically Eurogenes. So, I've done that, and my results are crazy-different, although more of what I'd expect, to be honest.

My Ancestry.com results: 67% Great Britain, 12% Scandinavian, and 9% Ireland
My Eurogenes results: 10.28% South Baltic, 8.6% Eastern Europe, 30% North-Central Europe, 11% West Mediterranean, 3% South Asian, 2.5% Ashkenazi, 7% West Asian, 1.5% East Mediterranean, 20% Atlantic

So, I am quite confused; if I run the raw data from Ancestry.com through Dodecad, around 17% of my ancestry is traced directly to Asia. These rather significant traces of Asia (notably in the west and south) show up in any version of Eurogenes or Dodecad that I run my raw data through, yet Ancestry.com effectively says that I'm like...well...Scandinavian, if I'm not mistaken.

So, why in the world is Ancestry.com the outlier here? It even dissents from what my grandmother says about my family (at least on her side). And, last I checked Great Britain, Ireland, and Scandinavia don't neighbor Asia, obviously.

Thanks for reading,
Kyla

Hello there Kyla, welcome to Eupedia. :)

Ancestrydna tends to DNA test you based on your ancestry whom lived approximately 1,000-2,000 years ago; so ancient civilizations. Eurogene and other Gedmatch companies such tend to upload DNA from archeological remains from the Paleolithic-the Bronze Age; so roughly your Stone Age ancestry. If you are to find out your recent ancestry I'd go get a genealogist and trace your family tree via paper trail.

Here is the prehistory of Europe.

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml#prehistory

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml

Hi Kyla

Out of curiosity, what were your marginal readings from Ancestry DNA? (there's 12% missing from the numbers you gave)

kyla you need to post the full results from ancestry and eurogenes, you are living out some pretty big parts. I also tested with ancestry, and my results were pretty consistent with eurogenes. If you post the full results, maybe we can help you better understand.

kyla you need to post the full results from ancestry and eurogenes, you are living out some pretty big parts. I also tested with ancestry, and my results were pretty consistent with eurogenes. If you post the full results, maybe we can help you better understand.

Just curious, witch Eurogene DNA test are you referring too; that correlates to Ancestrydna ? Here is my Ancestrydna and Eurogene K13 and K15 results.

[h=2]

Europe99%[/h]
  • Great Britain43%

• Ireland21%

• Europe West13%

• Europe East9%

• Scandinavia8%

• Trace Regions
    5%
  • Finland/Northwest Russia2%

• Italy/Greece2%

• Iberian Peninsula1%

[h=2]West Asia< 1%[/h]
  • Trace Regions
    < 1%
  • Caucasus< 1%

[h=2]Eurogenes K13 Oracle results:[/h]K13 Oracle ref data revised 21 Nov 2013

Kit M174504

Admix Results (sorted):

#PopulationPercent
1North_Atlantic47.85
2Baltic25.76
3West_Med11.33
4East_Med7.04
5West_Asian6.31
6South_Asian0.56
7Amerindian0.49
8Red_Sea0.42
9Northeast_African0.24

Single Population Sharing:

#Population (source)Distance
1North_German3.24
2Danish3.91
3North_Dutch4.16
4Southeast_English4.72
5Orcadian5.49
6South_Dutch5.99
7Norwegian6.17
8West_German6.17
9Irish6.46
10West_Scottish6.99
11Southwest_English7.16
12Swedish7.27
13Austrian10.48
14East_German11.18
15French11.98
16North_Swedish12.34
17Hungarian14.78
18Spanish_Cataluna19.62
19Southwest_Finnish19.78
20Serbian20.2

[h=2]Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15 Oracle results:[/h]Kit M174504

Admix Results (sorted):

#PopulationPercent
1North_Sea31.19
2Atlantic30.59
3Baltic12.6
4Eastern_Euro9.89
5West_Med6.48
6West_Asian4.56
7East_Med4.16
8Red_Sea0.43
9Amerindian0.09

1North_German3.66
2Southeast_English5.4
3Irish5.61
4Danish5.79
5South_Dutch6.02
6West_Scottish6.36
7North_Dutch6.73
8Southwest_English6.75
9Orcadian8.93
10West_German9.49
11Norwegian10.28
12Swedish10.7
13East_German10.87
14French11.06
15West_Norwegian11.62
16North_Swedish12.11
17Austrian13
18Southwest_Finnish14.13
19Hungarian15.18
20Spanish_Cataluna17.51

Hi Kyla

Out of curiosity, what were your marginal readings from Ancestry DNA? (there's 12% missing from the numbers you gave)

• 5% Italy/Greece
  • 3% Europe West
  • 4% West Asia (y):rolleyes:

Okay, I appreciate any help. :)

My full Ancestry.com results are 67% Great Britain, 12% Scandinavia, 9% Ireland, 5% Italy/Greece, 3% Europe West, and 4% West Asian.

I do not remember which version of Eurogenes I referenced previously, but if I run my raw data through the K15 version of Eurogenes, my results display as 35.10% North Sea, 28.52% North Atlantic, 7.9% Baltic, 5.22% Eastern European, 9.92 Western Mediterranean, 6.39% West Asian, 1.11% East Mediterranean, 0.65% Red Sea, 3.13% South Asian, 0.61% Southeast Asian, 1.0% American Indian, and 0.40% Sub-Saharan. :) :)

Thanks,
Kyla

• 5% Italy/Greece
  • 3% Europe West
  • 4% West Asia (y):rolleyes:

Hi Kyla

That 4% from West Asia would normally show a more specific locality (relatively speaking).

Then, back on GEDMatch, can you do the various Oracle tests, you'll end up with something like this (e.g is for me):

1South_Italian5.19
2Central_Greek5.69
3East_Sicilian6.66
4Italian_Abruzzo7.68

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

# Primary Population (source)Secondary Population (source)Distance
1 92.8%South_Italian+7.2%Tabassaran@4.45
2 92.8%South_Italian+7.2%Lezgin@4.5
3 92.8%South_Italian+7.2%Kumyk@4.67
4 94.2%South_Italian+5.8%Chechen@4.69

[FONT=&quot]Using 3 populations approximation:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 50% Central_Greek +25% Cyprian +25% Italian_Abruzzo @ 5.225592[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Using 4 populations approximation:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Algerian_Jewish + Armenian + North_Italian + South_Italian @ 4.703165[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Armenian + Italian_Jewish + North_Italian + South_Italian @ 4.792818[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 Algerian_Jewish + Armenian + Central_Greek + North_Italian @ 4.795398[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 Algerian_Jewish + Armenian + Greek + Tuscan @ 4.940431[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 Armenian + Greek + Italian_Jewish + Tuscan @ 4.969768[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 Armenian + Cyprian + North_Italian + West_Sicilian @ 4.983400[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7 Armenian + Cyprian + South_Italian + Spanish_Cataluna @ 4.996717[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 Armenian + Central_Greek + Italian_Jewish + North_Italian @ 5.002756[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9 Armenian + South_Italian + Tuscan + West_Sicilian @ 5.014431[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10 Assyrian + North_Italian + South_Italian + South_Italian @ 5.019098[/FONT]

Thank you, Joey! If I click on the West Asia percentage tab, it expands and shows Caucuses. I saw the population sharing, and it seems like it could be pretty telling, but the results seem vastly different depending on the calculator that I choose.

If I do Eurogenes K13, 1-population approximation results in:
Southwest_English 6.121644

2-population approximation results in:
1 50% South_Dutch +50% West_Scottish 5.202549

3-population approximation results in:
1 50% Irish +25% Irish +25% Spanish_Extremadura 4.767494

4-population approximation results in a big amalgam of nationalities that are all very close numerically, so I have no idea if it's something I should be placing much weight in.

Meanwhile, if I use a Dodecad calculator (again, I do not know which one I would be best off using, so I chose 12b) the lowest-numbered result is:
Argyll + Argyll + Bulgarian + Cornwall 2.283948

If I've done anything wrong, or am interpreting these results incorrectly, please let me know. I am obviously confused, but at the same time, really curious.

Kyla

Last edited:
Hi Kyla

There are many on here far more knowledgeable than I (and I'm sure some one will step in if I am leading your astray), but all these calculators do is take an educated guess on the best fit of your DNA results with DNA that is on record for a range of places, and the lower that final number, the better the degree of probability that it's a good fit.

The four population approximation carries a lower number because it's able to spread your results over a wider geographical area to get a better fit, i.e. it's hedging its bets.

In your case, 3 of 4 is placing in you in Britain (Argyll is in SW Scotland), which actually makes some sense given your Ancestry DNA results, and then fourth one places you in Bulgaria. That doesn't mean you necessarily have some Bulgarian, it merely means something is showing up which points you in that direction, and once again, that makes some sense with 5% Italy/Greece and 4% Caucasus (noting that with Ancestry DNA, Italy/Greece actually extends into Bulgaria, it's a fairly broad descriptor).

If you look at my four population approximation above:
1 Algerian_Jewish + Armenian + North_Italian + South_Italian @ 4.703165
(which is a poorer fit than yours), my family is not from any of these places, but my mix is such that I'm picking up bits of all of these places. In all these various tests, I'm consistently getting a mix of:
Sth Italy/Sicily/Greece
Nth Italy/Tuscany
Armenia/Georgia
Jewish (various)

By the way, with Ancestry DNA I got 17% Caucasus, so it's no surprise that Armenia/Georgia keeps popping up in these various tests, even though it's likely to represent something from the classical age or earlier.

I think all the oracle says is "ooooh you score x percent this and y percent that and the average person of this ethnocity scores those components closest to yours, therefore the closest ethnicity is that ethnicity".

It's a really stupid tool

I think all the oracle says is "ooooh you score x percent this and y percent that and the average person of this ethnocity scores those components closest to yours, therefore the closest ethnicity is that ethnicity".

It's a really stupid tool

Yeh, you wouldn't bet your house on it, and you wouldn't take any of it too literally, but some of the tests do point you in the right direction.

Looking at Kyla's, there's something pointing to Southern Europe, and given she is clearly predominantly British/North European, my guess would be it's something as recent as a great-grandparent.

True. I don't know for sure how any of these tools work so im left guessing.

Yeh, you wouldn't bet your house on it, and you wouldn't take any of it too literally, but some of the tests do point you in the right direction.

Looking at Kyla's, there's something pointing to Southern Europe, and given she is clearly predominantly British/North European, my guess would be it's something as recent as a great-grandparent.

That's really interesting. So, I don't know anyone on my father's side of the family---and know very, very little information about his side---owing to why I ordered the Ancestry.com DNA test in the first place. My guess is as good as anyone's.

However, I just have to voice my confusion over the obvious predominance of England (as it does, in fact, keep showing up in the calculators)... I have medium-to-dark brown hair, brown eyes, and overall hairiness for a girl. Additionally, my arms nor legs have ever developed a sunburn. Aren't English people stereotypically lighter-complected?

Again, forgive any ignorance I may be demonstrating.

Thanks,
Kyla :rolleyes:

That's really interesting. So, I don't know anyone on my father's side of the family---and know very, very little information about his side---owing to why I ordered the Ancestry.com DNA test in the first place. My guess is as good as anyone's.

However, I just have to voice my confusion over the obvious predominance of England (as it does, in fact, keep showing up in the calculators)... I have medium-to-dark brown hair, brown eyes, and overall hairiness for a girl. Additionally, my arms nor legs have ever developed a sunburn. Aren't English people stereotypically lighter-complected?

Again, forgive any ignorance I may be demonstrating.

Thanks,
Kyla :rolleyes:

That's totally cool, I understand :). That probably explains my complexion, did not know it was a steriotype. Anyways, talking from a person whom never knew his biological side of the family before starting genealogy, does your local Library have a history/genealogy department? Even if your local library doesn't have one, I'm sure the librarian can direct you to a library that does. I have to thank the Seattle public library for introducing me to my biological dad's side of the family since I never really knew my dad. ^_^

Anyways to give you some clues, here is a history of British-Americans

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Americans

Depends on what you mean by English. Some Welsh, such as my mother's cousin, can get rather dark in complexion.

Last edited:
You appear to have very light skin in your photo. We aren't so far off:

British 69%
Irish 10%
Scand. 10% (known to be accurate based on recent immigration from Norway)
Finnish 3%
Iberian 3%
Italian 3%
W. Euro 1%
Ash. Jew 1%

The state your grandparents were from may give a hint of your older family's migration patterns. Care to share? Do you have any "genetic communities" on Ancestry?

This thread has been viewed 11448 times.

Back