Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we really want driver-less cars?

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    East Sicily

^ That's right, roads would have to all be uniform in terms of road markings, quality of construction, shoulders, etc., which is one reason why it will take a while to implement.

Having said that, modern cars already have have the capability to operate quasi independently on at least 90% of the roads in the city I live in (a fairly modern city it has to be said, built mostly since the 1970s).
    Misseri e sceccu cu tuttâ tistera
    comu vi l’haju a diri, a vastunati
    ca mancu haju Sali di salera!

VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
    ^ That's right, roads would have to all be uniform in terms of road markings, quality of construction, shoulders, etc., which is one reason why it will take a while to implement.

Having said that, modern cars already have have the capability to operate quasi independently on at least 90% of the roads in the city I live in (a fairly modern city it has to be said, built mostly since the 1970s).
    And who do you think will be charged for accidents caused by glitches in these vehicles ..............the software company, the owner of the vehicle , or ........???
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 37.0%

I would say it will be easier for a terrorist organization to hack into enough vehicles to do damage the amount of idiots willing to do it themselves would be capable to.
    If you search this forum for "blood type", "rhesus negative" or "rh negative", you will probably see my posts.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dammann View Post
    I would say it will be easier for a terrorist organization to hack into enough vehicles to do damage the amount of idiots willing to do it themselves would be capable to.
    It is not impossible to hack into US power grid, big internet providers, or US military drones to make substantial economical damage and human casualties. Did it ever happen that terrorists did that? And yet possibility exists for more than 10 years now. It means that it is very difficult to pull it off, or maybe even impossible with terrorists mentality and resources. Or maybe nerds don't want to be terrorists.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dammann View Post
    There have been reports of attempts by Russian agents to hack into our electrical and water grids. A report just came out about it strenuously urging that our out of date security systems be updated. This would just be another area of vulnerability, with this one having the ability to create mass casualties on a national scale.

What really surprises me though is that there seems to be no concern for the social and personal disruption this would cause for working class people; this is one of the few high paying jobs left. In the past year, four out of five jobs added to the national economy have been part time ones, mostly low paying service jobs. This is what is causing so much unrest, and this technology would only make it worse. Karl Marx thought that the working class would destroy capitalism. It didn't, mainly because wages increased and safety concerns were met. I don't think people understand that we're at another cross roads here. And no, I don't think massive welfare payments are the answer. People want their self-respect, and that includes good paying jobs where they can support their own families.

When new technologies are introduced that are going to put hundreds of thousands of people out of work, potentially introducing a great deal of social and perhaps ultimately political instability, some thought should be given to how to ameliorate those deleterious effects.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    What really surprises me though is that there seems to be no concern for the social and personal disruption this would cause for working class people; this is one of the few high paying jobs left. In the past year, four out of five jobs added to the national economy have been part time ones, mostly low paying service jobs. This is what is causing so much unrest, and this technology would only make it worse. Karl Marx thought that the working class would destroy capitalism. It didn't, mainly because wages increased and safety concerns were met. I don't think people understand that we're at another cross roads here. And no, I don't think massive welfare payments are the answer. People want their self-respect, and that includes good paying jobs where they can support their own families.

You singlehandedly made every housewife your enemy. ;)

When new technologies are introduced that are going to put hundreds of thousands of people out of work, potentially introducing a great deal of social and perhaps ultimately political instability, some thought should be given to how to ameliorate those deleterious effects.
    I also think it is urgent issue, if not the most urgent of all. At the moment I don't see any other cure for this than guaranteed income payments. Otherwise we can see hungry mob attacking these few, which have jobs and rich factory owners and their factories, to get money and destroy robots.

Do you remember the story from 17th century France, when textile workers who lost their jobs, and were scared about their future, burned a factory with first automated textile weaving machines?

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    [/B]
    You singlehandedly made every housewife your enemy. ;)

I also think it is urgent issue, if not the most urgent of all. At the moment I don't see any other cure for this than guaranteed income payments. Otherwise we can see hungry mob attacking these few, which have jobs and rich factory owners and their factories, to get money and destroy robots.

Do you remember the story from 17th century France, when textile workers who lost their jobs, and were scared about their future, burned a factory with first automated textile weaving machines?
    A society determines what activity gives status. If modern industrialized societies truly valued the work a "housewife and mother" does, they would make that clear, and women would get self respect from doing it. The reality is that only lip service is given to it.

Do you know what the head of my firm said to me when I passed on a promotion because I wanted to be home at a decent time to be with my children? "You're going to waste a fine mind to play with your kids?"

Luckily, I'm made of pretty stern stuff. I decide what is valuable; I decide how I should live my life so that I have respect for myself. Most people are more easily led. They believe what their society tells them: you are valuable only if you have a high paying or other high status job.

100 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 47.0%

it will have a huge benefit which is number of crashes and taken lives on road will be minimum if not zero
    Last edited by amenhotep; 13-04-17 at 18:54. Reason: grammar correction

3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%

I am of the opinion that the driver less car tech will only benefit the humanity. With the help of self efficient(sufficient) computers at the wheel, the accidents will plummet.

Driver-less cars with sensors can eliminate the accidents that happens at night dues to driver falling asleep.

Autonomous cars can an addition in improving efficiency and living standard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12