What's your opinion on this blog post on inbreeding in Europeans?

It's obvious that the family structures survived the red tanks......[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

I believe that he didn't use any data to make that map. It seems as if he created it based on stereotypes and liberal guesswork.

I believe that he didn't use any data to make that map. It seems as if he created it based on stereotypes and liberal guesswork.

It doesn't look as classical Marxism to me either Marxism turned upside down[emoji854]
I don't know which data the anthropologist has used, but what I do know that for the situation along the the Northsea it's pretty accurate. This was undoubtedly the area of the free farmer, with his own territory, and with less or no obligation to some kind of nobleman. That's indeed different from the most of Europe (in the past). So be it. And you can look all the way down to Beowulf to see some (embryonic) individualism in it....
And individualism and some equal position between man and woman are giant forces against forced marriages and inbreeding! No Le Brok this doesn't rule out that this has taken place, the reality is always with more paradoxes and is always messy. But I think the gross picture looks clear.

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

Notice Hungary is technically the melting plot of Europe, we've been able to allow various migrations and the region been colonized by various ethnic groups from Germanic to Turkic tribes which gave the opportunity to make a genetically heterogeneous population.

what do you mean by 'being able to allow' ?

No it's not that simple, but related to inbreeding, forced marriages etc this is pretty convincing at least according to me:
https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/where-do-emmanuel-todds-family-types-come-from/

and
https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/lexplication-de-lideologie/
Here is another good example. People in north are more bylaw obeying. For example in north people will wait for a green light to cross the road. People in south treat red light more like a suggestion. Same goes for all traffic regulations. How does this go with individualism vs collectivism?
Here is one more. People in north will lie more often not to hurt someone's feelings, about their cooking, how others dress or behave, and generally are more politically correct. I'm not sure if it denotes more tolerance or compassion, or obedience, but definitely helps a collective life of a group by avoiding confrontation. People in south are more direct with their opinion. Again, I'm not sure if it is due to being more emotional, or contrarian, more egoistic, strong willed, but surely it is more individualistic.

Also, statistically speaking, people in north tend to share more with others, either by obediently paying taxes or giving freely to charities. People in south tend to share less with strangers but are more generous to immediate family. Which one, you might think, is more collective? My pet hypothesis is that this is hunter-gatherer vs farmer issue, expressed through natural selection.
South is more farmer like, farmers have private fields which benefit family first. If they have more then they share with a village. If father and mother die, kids usually die too (in the past). Hunters-gatherers live in multifamily groups, they all hunt and gather together, then they share and eat together. Whole group is the "family", a big commune. When mother and father dies there is not much change for their kids, because the group will still share equally. In this case, by law of natural selection, Europeans with more h-g admixture should be more sharing/collective, while with more farmer admixture more possessive/individualistic, well family sharing oriented.

I know the big argument, for north being more individualistic, is an example of people of the north being entrepreneurial capitalist in nature, therefore more greedy-individualistic. I'm sure the entrepreneurs need to be individualistic-leader like, but the biggest part in it is that ones from north are more collective (more hunter gatherer). It means that they will embrace anybody from society to work in their company and most importantly in management, as long as they have the best skills for positions. Entrepreneur from south will be more inclined to give positions to immediate family first, the farmer's way. Therefore he will not get the best talent to run the company. Multiply this by last couple of hundreds of years of capitalism and voila, this little advantage of hiring better talent for positions is giving north Europe economic advantage over south. Mind you that south was economically ahead most of the history till 17th century, thanks to family-feudal oriented ways. The best way how to control production from the land. It sees that now however, in times of industrial and free market capitalist economy, the north is ahead. And it might be due to more collective nature of running business.

Off course there will be other differences in character of people to account for north/south differences and how economies and countries are run. I was just emphasizing things suiting current discussion best.

I tell you what, LeBrok, you understand us very well.

There's a famous saying about Jews which applies to Italians and most Southern Europeans for that matter: two Jews, three opinions. It makes it hard to make governments work, but it's a better safeguard of individual liberty, in my opinion.

I would only quibble on one thing. Italians tell white lies too, but it depends on the situation. Every time I go home, one of the first things my family members will usually blurt out is that I've gained ten or fifteen pounds over the previous months in America. They walk me off my feet to get rid of it. :) I assure you that Italian men trying to pick you up tell you you're absolutely perfect. Like I said, it depends on the situation.

Contrarian is a good word. It fits me, anyway. Whenever too many people spout an opinion, my instinct is to find out what's wrong with it. It's stood me in good stead professionally.

Maybe another way of looking at it is that it's just a difference in the size of the group. For an Italian, at least until pretty recently, the only group that counted was his extended family, maybe the people within sound of his campanile. For northerners, they think of their group as the country or even the "tribe".

Or maybe these outdated, in my opinion, social "science" theories have so focused on the relative lack of attachment between individual and family in the north versus the south that they ignore other societal and cultural manifestations. Again, in my opinion, it's just the same old self-glorifying, bias driven examination of phenomena as was engaged in by old Weber and his "Protestant work ethic." It's bunk. I grew up where the "old days" were within memory of my relatives. Indeed, some of them had lived through them themselves. The poor peasants worked every hour God sends. What made them less hard-working? Was it that they didn't work during the three hours of the day when the sun beating down on you can give you heat stroke? I've seen northern Europeans trying to carry on during the hours of 12-3 during the summer. They drop like flies. The peasants woke before dawn and worked as long as the light held. Then they fixed tools or sewed and knitted by lamp light. People spout a bunch of nonsense which just shows their ignorance. The hardship and hard work was carved into their faces and their bones. They didn't need to tell you about it.

Plus, as you pointed out, modern banking and capitalism was invented in Italy, primarily as family enterprises, but also as associations of families. "Family firms" as we call them here, have their benefits, but they also have their disadvantages, as you pointed out, and in some cases, indeed, more disadvantages than advantages. (One you didn't mention is the reluctance to relocate because of family reasons.) Still, just speaking personally, I tried working for a huge national firm, and I found it soul destroying and creativity destroying. It's been either a family firm or self-employment for me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Anyone who thinks they can trust a corporation with their destiny is fooling themselves, in my opinion. I want to control my own destiny as much as possible, economically as well as in every other way. If at all possible, I want to work for myself, or if not, for my family, whom I know I can trust.

Here is another good example. People in north are more bylaw obeying. For example in north people will wait for a green light to cross the road. People in south treat red light more like a suggestion. Same goes for all traffic regulations. How does this go with individualism vs collectivism?
Here is one more. People in north will lie more often not to hurt someone's feelings, about their cooking, how others dress or behave, and generally are more politically correct. I'm not sure if it denotes more tolerance or compassion, or obedience, but definitely helps a collective life of a group by avoiding confrontation. People in south are more direct with their opinion. Again, I'm not sure if it is due to being more emotional, or contrarian, more egoistic, strong willed, but surely it is more individualistic.

Also, statistically speaking, people in north tend to share more with others, either by obediently paying taxes or giving freely to charities. People in south tend to share less with strangers but are more generous to immediate family. Which one, you might think, is more collective? My pet hypothesis is that this is hunter-gatherer vs farmer issue, expressed through natural selection.
South is more farmer like, farmers have private fields which benefit family first. If they have more then they share with a village. If father and mother die, kids usually die too (in the past). Hunters-gatherers live in multifamily groups, they all hunt and gather together, then they share and eat together. Whole group is the "family", a big commune. When mother and father dies there is not much change for their kids, because the group will still share equally. In this case, by law of natural selection, Europeans with more h-g admixture should be more sharing/collective, while with more farmer admixture more possessive/individualistic, well family sharing oriented.

I know the big argument, for north being more individualistic, is an example of people of the north being entrepreneurial capitalist in nature, therefore more greedy-individualistic. I'm sure the entrepreneurs need to be individualistic-leader like, but the biggest part in it is that ones from north are more collective (more hunter gatherer). It means that they will embrace anybody from society to work in their company and most importantly in management, as long as they have the best skills for positions. Entrepreneur from south will be more inclined to give positions to immediate family first, the farmer's way. Therefore he will not get the best talent to run the company. Multiply this by last couple of hundreds of years of capitalism and voila, this little advantage of hiring better talent for positions is giving north Europe economic advantage over south. Mind you that south was economically ahead most of the history till 17th century, thanks to family-feudal oriented ways. The best way how to control production from the land. It sees that now however, in times of industrial and free market capitalist economy, the north is ahead. And it might be due to more collective nature of running business.

Off course there will be other differences in character of people to account for north/south differences and how economies and countries are run. I was just emphasizing things suiting current discussion best.

I can see that you have never cycled through Amsterdam or another major city in the Netherlands LeBrok ;) That's the art of crossing trough the street, sometimes take the footpath, just enough not to make accidents, but no more no less, on the edge;) And you can ask the neighboring Belgians here (Maciamo, Bicicleur); the Dutch are famous for their blunt, rude behavior....There are differences between calvinistic North and much more law abiding Lutheran North....

Of course the Italians have an awe-inspiring and grand old culture!! Deep bow. And my twelve years old twins still learn Latin (besides Greek). No Italian learns Dutch so I know my place.....

But in the case of the development of the modern society the North Sea area did accelerate! The HBD chick made this very clear:

“‘Rather than focus on why Europe diverged from the rest in 1800 we should be asking why the North Sea diverged from the rest in 1000.

By 1200 Western Europe has a GDP per capita higher than most parts of the world, but (with two exceptions) by 1500 this number stops increasing. In both data sets the two exceptions are Netherlands and Great Britain. These North Sea economies experienced sustained GDP per capita growth for six straight centuries. The North Sea begins to diverge from the rest of Europe long before the ‘West’ begins its more famous split from ‘the rest.’

“[W]e can pin point the beginning of this ‘little divergence’ with greater detail. In 1348 Holland’s GDP per capita was $876. England’s was $777. In less than 60 years time Holland’s jumps to $1,245 and England’s to 1090. The North Sea’s revolutionary divergence started at this time.“

Seems without discussion.

Her explanation is as follows:
" The combination of two not wholly dissimilar groups (franks+frisians, for instance), with one of the groups being very outbred (the franks) and the other being an in-betweener group (the frisians), seems perhaps to be a winning one. the outbred group might provide enough open, trusting, trustworthy, cooperative, commonweal-oriented members to the union, while the in-betweener group might provide a good dose of hamilton’s “self-sacrificial daring” that he reckoned might contribute to renaissances."

Interesting:unsure:

https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/going-dutch/

And yes this Dutch golden age culture was a blue print for New York:

“While short-lived, the seventeenth-century Dutch colony of New Netherland had a lasting impact on the continent’s development by laying down the cultural DNA for what is now Greater New York City. Modeled on its Dutch namesake, New Amsterdam was from the start a global commercial trading society: multi-ethnic, multi-religious, speculative, materialistic, mercantile, and free trading, a raucous, not entirely democratic city-state where no one ethnic or religious group has ever truly been in charge. New Netherland also nurtured two Dutch innovations considered subversive by most other European states at the time: a profound tolerance of diversity and an unflinching commitment to the freedom of inquiry. Forced on the other nations at the Constitutional Convention, these ideals have been passed down to us as the Bill of Rights.”

https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2016...-in-medieval-netherlands-and-new-york-values/

And the Italians, always the clannish family comes first. Sometimes a strength. But in modern days sometimes a weakness, family first and not the common wealth and it doesn't always combine with a free liberated spirit.....

https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/la-famiglia/
https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/il-risorgimento-and-italian-inbreeding/

Yada, yada, yada. Don't you people ever get a new song book?

Yada, yada, yada. Don't you people ever get a new song book?

Just for fun, see this (ok romanticized) movie fragment of John Adams visiting the Dutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1cgBI5rdI

And Obama who went recently to the Rijksmuseum not just to watch the Nachtwacht but also to watch 'het plakkaat van verlatinge' (1581) in which the Dutch declared their independence from the Spanish. This is a blue print for the Declaration of Independence (1776)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEBQQEPCVY

Know your history Angela! ;)

People in north will lie more often not to hurt someone's feelings, about their cooking, how others dress or behave, and generally are more politically correct. I'm not sure if it denotes more tolerance or compassion, or obedience, but definitely helps a collective life of a group by avoiding confrontation. People in south are more direct with their opinion. Again, I'm not sure if it is due to being more emotional, or contrarian, more egoistic, strong willed, but surely it is more individualistic.

I just saw a review about this book on tv I thought immediately about your remark LeBrok.
It's called Praise of Bluntness with a ;) reference to Erasmus Praise of Folly. The book is about the Dutch Golden Age....
http://www.singeluitgeverijen.nl/querido/boek/lof-der-botheid/

I just saw a review about this book on tv I thought immediately about your remark LeBrok.
It's called Praise of Bluntness with a ;) reference to Erasmus Praise of Folly. The book is about the Dutch Golden Age....
http://www.singeluitgeverijen.nl/querido/boek/lof-der-botheid/
Thanks for consideration.
I have one more example that points to the fact that faster economic development does not denote individualistic society. Have a look at Japan. The most developed country in Asia, on par with Northern Europe. Yet, we both agree, that Japan can be classified more as collective society, with individualism in very short supply. Perhaps more collective than any single European country could be?

Just for fun, see this (ok romanticized) movie fragment of John Adams visiting the Dutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1cgBI5rdI

And Obama who went recently to the Rijksmuseum not just to watch the Nachtwacht but also to watch 'het plakkaat van verlatinge' (1581) in which the Dutch declared their independence from the Spanish. This is a blue print for the Declaration of Independence (1776)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEBQQEPCVY

Know your history Angela! ;)

You know my intellectual history some how? Obviously not, or you would know that I got both an undergraduate and graduate degree in European history before getting a doctorate in another subject.

I don't need you to instruct me in history. You may know something about the history of your own country, but you clearly haven't studied anything else in any depth.

I would also suggest that you read some European social history or sociology written after 1980 or so, or maybe even 1970 or so, and perhaps remove your Nordicist blinders.

As to "bluntness", which is just another way of saying "rudeness" and "bad manners", I do remember seeing some survey by Europeans about Europeans where it was claimed the Dutch are the most "blunt". I concede the award to you.

You know my intellectual history some how? Obviously not, or you would know that I got both an undergraduate and graduate degree in European history before getting a doctorate in another subject.

I don't need you to instruct me in history. You may know something about the history of your own country, but you clearly haven't studied anything else in any depth.

I would also suggest that you read some European social history or sociology written after 1980 or so, or maybe even 1970 or so, and perhaps remove your Nordicist blinders.

As to "bluntness", which is just another way of saying "rudeness" and "bad manners", I do remember seeing some survey by Europeans about Europeans where it was claimed the Dutch are the most "blunt". I concede the award to you.

Thanks ;) When you were rewarding, 19.09 local time, me I enjoyed a delicious 'saltimbocca' in an Italian restaurant in the city!

Of course I don't need to instruct you in history.....may be this was the blunt Dutchman. I really enjoy most of your postings. But I must admit that you sometimes show some Latin prejudices and typical style (in my more northern eyes fast furious).....No problem..... Like that. Different spices stimulate the quality of the diner.

But come on sometimes a little teaser, nothing more nothing less, from a Dutchman won't hurt..does it? (I think NY city bluntness is famous too....you probably are used to it, and your president elect has it at least to the max, I guess we will get more bluntness than we will appreciate ;)

And besides some posting I really don''t know your intellectual history, ar you an historian?

Last edited:
Thanks for consideration.
I have one more example that points to the fact that faster economic development does not denote individualistic society. Have a look at Japan. The most developed country in Asia, on par with Northern Europe. Yet, we both agree, that Japan can be classified more as collective society, with individualism in very short supply. Perhaps more collective than any single European country could be?

I think it's balanced LeBrok, yes individualistic, but also embarrassment of the riches, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Embarrassment_of_Riches.....

This thread has been viewed 22142 times.

Back