Does Ancestry DNA list haplogroups?

firetown

Banned
Reaction score
I have just been messaged by two members of my network about their AncestryDNA test results and the only thing visible to them is countries of ancestry as well as Ashkenazi Jewish percentages, but no haplogroups or SNP markers.
Is it in fact the case that they are not giving people that information or is there some other place on their end where they can find out or need to upgrade to find out?

I have just been messaged by two members of my network about their AncestryDNA test results and the only thing visible to them is countries of ancestry as well as Ashkenazi Jewish percentages, but no haplogroups or SNP markers.
Is it in fact the case that they are not giving people that information or is there some other place on their end where they can find out or need to upgrade to find out?

From my personal experience of having an account on AncestryDNA, I'm afraid not. AncestryDNA only does Autosomal DNA, connects you with distant cousins and has a family tree database.

Thank you. I am in awe over the "results" I am reading and now asked to advise regarding a "real testing service".
I recommend 23andme as I have been for years.
Is there a better option you can think of?

Thank you. I am in awe over the "results" I am reading and now asked to advise regarding a "real testing service".
I recommend 23andme as I have been for years.
Is there a better option you can think of?

You're welcome. The companies that specializes in deep subclades are Ftdna and the new LivingDNA. :)

They might have a new service that does it.

You can get 1691 locations of YDNA by downloading the raw data from the newer (Sorenson lab) chip. This is enough to determine a rudimentary subclade. I may make a post detailing this process, but I would be copying it from the GeneticGeneologist blog.

Edit: In fact I believe the 23andMe chip is also the Sorenson lab chip, so it will be the same data for YDNA subclade analysis.

See thread: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34080-How-to-determine-basic-Y-DNA-haplo-from-Ancestry-com-data

If you transfer your Ancestry raw data to Wegene for free you will actually get a more detailed y haplogroup than 23andMe. I was assigned I1a2 by Wegene which is I-Z58. 23andme only assigned me as I1. However, Ancestry has very few mitochondrial snps in its raw data so Wegene could only assign me to some subclade of mtdna haplogroup U while 23andMe assigned me to the more specific k2a6.

The 23andMe data file has more detail for terminal SNPs than they report. For example my French heritage bro got R1a M417 listed on 23andMe. I ran his data file through the YSNP program and the Morley predictor and got 6 additional steps down in the R1a tree.

How irritating. Why would they not provide this info?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The 23andMe data file has more detail for terminal SNPs than they report. For example my French heritage bro got R1a M417 listed on 23andMe. I ran his data file through the YSNP program and the Morley predictor and got 6 additional steps down in the R1a tree.

How irritating. Why would they not provide this info?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That does seem like a waste and it would be an extra incentive for people to test with their company. The first y-haplogroup I ever received was I-P30 from Natgeo. I knew nothing about this hobby at the time and it was very frustrating trying to figure out what that meant since all the other companies and scientists were referring to the haplogroup as I1 or I-M253. I have no idea why Natgeo would confuse their customers like that.

You're welcome. The companies that specializes in deep subclades are Ftdna and the new LivingDNA. :)

Do they also give secretor status, Neanderthal DNA, show lists of past (famous) relatives, allow you to connect with living relatives?
On www.rhesusnegative.net I am asked for recommendations a lot and these are the types of information pieces my readers like.

This thread has been viewed 15229 times.

Back