23&me new population ancestry

Judith

Reaction score
mtDNA haplogroup
H4a1a1a
From Friday 13th 23&me have an updated ancestry composition.
I can not get it because I have not been transitioned to the new experience with the V4 test.
For those of you you are lucky enough to get it what do you think?
It tells you which country your ancestor came from and when since 1700.
Looking forward to your examples!

From Friday 13th 23&me have an updated ancestry composition.
I can not get it because I have not been transitioned to the new experience with the V4 test.
For those of you you are lucky enough to get it what do you think?
It tells you which country your ancestor came from and when since 1700.
Looking forward to your examples!

23andme has always done that, i.e. given ancestry composition. However, a lot of people haven't updated to the V4, including me. I'd be interested to see if the results are substantially different.

Hello Ladies,
I can not compair the chip you both were tested on, however I was tested on the v5.0 chip this year and since the Beta test that you can switch over to, both of my percentages in their finding had changed. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. They claim that with more people joining , results can change. How can that be, I don't clearly understand.

As expected, my updated beta "Ancestry composition" changed too, but not significantly.
I have new additions and some percentages increased significantly.

1.European dropped from 99.9% to 99.3% while the Melanesian 0.1% totally vanished.

1.1 The Southern European dropped from 92.7% to 85.8% an almost 7% drop. That's something !

1.1.1 The Greek and Balkan dropped from 86.1% to 79.7% another almost 7% drop, quite a drop I'd say.
1.1.2 The Italian increased slightly from 3.3% to 3.5%
1.1.3 I have a new addition some Sardinian too here 0.2%
1.1.4 Broadly Southern European dropped as well from 3.3% to 2.4%, (still chances to have some more Mediterranean islands in composition (Corsica, Malta....))

1.2 The Eastern European more than doubled its percentage (2.44x) from 3.4% to 8.3%... WOW!

1.3 The Northwestern European more than tripled the previous percentage (3.4x) from 0.5% to 1.7% another big increase but such small values isn't relevant.
1.3.1 French & German more than 5 times higher(5.33x) from 0.3% to 1.6% hmmmm, really?
1.3.2 Broadly Northwestern European dropping from 0.2% to 0.1%

1.4 Broadly European a slight increase from 3.3% to 3.6% ( new surprises waiting to be uncovered here in the future ;) )

And finally a new addition in exchange of the 0.1% Melanesian I lost which frankly made no sense to me from the very beginning.
I have a whole new category covering the rest of 0.7% from 99.3 till 100% and that is:

2. Western Asian & North African 0.7%
2.1 Northern West Asian 0.6%
2.1.1 Cypriot 0.5%
2.1.2 Broadly Northern West Asian 0.1%
Well it is quite a surprise to find out that the Cypriots belong to the north western Asian region. I always imagined north western uralic regions of Russia as being north western Asia...but whatever I have some 0.5% Cypriot too :) Is there any island in the Mediterranean that I missed...:)) (Sicily, Cyprus, Sardinia, Ionian Islands of Greece, and few Croatian islands@Knin/Sibenik county )

previous ancestry timeline:
Untitled3.jpg

updated ancestry timeline:
Untitled3.jpg

Last edited:
Ancestry Composition v5.2

"BETA RESULTS
Ancestry Composition v5.2
Ancestral breakdown last computed on August 29, 2019
Recent ancestor locations last computed on December 17, 2018
Genotyping chip: Version 5
Jun 02, 2019
Ancestry Composition v5.0
Sep 12, 2018
Ancestry Composition v3.0 "

A new update in the ancestry composition came nearly 2 weeks ago.
Checking the "Scientific details" it looks like now they moved for a more frequent update scheme.
Ancestry composition v4.0 seems had been skipped in the past and from June 2nd to August 29th is nearly two months. Maybe soon will get monthly updates.
But why not an ancestry composition calculated each time a new relative is being added or when is removing its account?

Changes from the previous iteration for my sample:
1.European is now 99.7% from 99.3% but I have now "Trace ancestry" 0.3% with the same percentage assigned to Anatolian, then 0.1% Unassigned
1.1 The Southern European dropped again now from 85.8% to 81.1% another 4.7% drop after a 7% drop on the previous recalculation. That's getting more and more interesting !
1.1.1 The Greek and Balkan dropped to 78.8% from 79.7% and 86.1%.
1.1.2 The Italian completely vanished .
1.1.3 Sardinian same as Italian... gone
1.1.4 Broadly Southern European dropped from 2.4% to 2.3%
1.2 The Eastern European is now priced at 11.0%, coming all the way from 3.4% to 8.3% ... WOW!
1.3 The Northwestern European from 0.5% to 1.7% and now back to 0.8% .
1.3.1 French & German vanished.
1.3.2 Broadly Northwestern European 0.8% now from 0.2% and 0.1% previously
1.4 Broadly European 6.8% now from 3.3% and 3.6% in the past.

As a conclusion, I do not think the new composition is more accurate than the previous one, as the previous one hasn't been perhaps a more accurate than the one before. These are just glimpses of a certain moment and with each and every dna relative addition or deletion, these proportions should change accordingly. So if in the future more and more people from a certain area would be added though I'm barely related with them, I'd get an increased percentage for that particular area.
I'd say the algorithm is doing its job, but the concept might be a bit old.

Beta is providing a better ancestry composition in my case now

Less ancient Scandinavian and British (Saxons), more F&G.

This thread has been viewed 7751 times.

Back