Why do people still care about (distant) genealogy?

Well, speaking as a North American, and a history nut, who happens to live in a multicultural society and who's family is not indigenous to the lands I live in (expect for one native ancestor from the 17th century), I don't know if I agree with you. Ancestry is very important to me and many people who live on this continent. Not only does it reveal from where our families originate but what they came from before coming to the new world, and what prompted them to emigrate. Beyond that, genealogy is a time capsule of history. Forget about being related to someone famous, sociologically and historically speaking, it's fascinating to take a look into the lives of ordinary people and what they were up to some hundreds of years ago. That's what fascinates me the most. Hell, I think commoners are far more fascinating to learn about than nobles. Since there is far less information on them.

All in all it's just a hobby. I don't think anyone who finds a notable figure in their background prances around boasting about it. I doubt it anyway. For most people it's just a hobby. Like any other form of history but with a little more intimacy.

Last edited:
If I would do some dna test, it would mostly be to see where I come from - obviously, that's Belgium. As far as I know, at least 5 - 6 generations of my family were simple, Flemish farmers. If there were any interesting tales that would make them not so simple and common I surely would have heard them. (My great-great uncle once randomly disappeared, my dad heard from his dad. That's all) I would be more interested in any unexpected things showing up in my ancestry from the middle ages. Do I have any Spanish in me, as the Spanish Habsburgers ruled over this region for a while and those soldiers probably weren't afraid of some Flemish maiden? My sister needs a tan (which she gets quickly) and would fit easily in the south of Spain, so there must be some more 'southern' in us. Do I really have some Irish or Scottish, as the red that sometimes occurs in my family and in my hair tells ? And my brother's weird curls aren't very Northwestern-European either. Or maybe I have to think at the vikings who possibly left some souvenirs in this region 1000 years ago. It's that what I myself am interested in. How me and my family came to look how we look, what 'blood' we have in us. A familytree woudl be interesting too, in a way, but I honestly don't expect much of that. My last name literally means 'From the fields'...

It could have gone like 50%, 23%, 9%, 3%, 0.4%, 0.02%, 0%, and bam in only 7 generations all their DNA is gone to the profit of other ancestors!

In this calculation you are assuming that every one of the ancestors is a different person, but in small communities isolated for geographical, linguistic or other factors it is not true, expecially if there is the custom to marry within the same family to not disperse the hineritance. It's why endogamy and inbreeding detected in some villages of Sardinia is so high.

I have spent years digging into my family's history, and reconstructing my family tree. Why did I do it ?
Well, I think a man needs food to sustain his body, and his own Myths to sustain his "soul", whatever that is.
We all go through fine days, but also through bad ones. When things turn wrong, when stress, bereavement, an overload of work threatens to get the better of you, you need something to rely on. You may inwardly recite Henley's Invictus poem ("I am the captain of my Soul / I am the master of my Fate"), or you may seek for real life examples of willpower, perseverance, self-denial, stoicism...
My ancestors were all confined to a very restricted area. Some of them were prosperous farmers, others destitute peasants. All of them were "survivors", in a sense, characterized by unflinching determination and fighting spirit. They had to be, to scrape a living on our granitic mountains, between the rock-filled hilltops and marshy valley floors.
So I do not care much how much DNA I share with each of them people. Each limb of my tree is a pipe through which I suck the marrow of their strength.
I guess what genealogy means to me is best summed up by this excerpt from the movie Amistad :

"John Quincy Adams : ...the test ahead of us is an exceptionally difficult one.
Cinque : We won’t be going in there alone…
John Quincy Adams : Indeed not, no, we will have right on our side, we will have righteousness at our side…
Cinque : I meant my ancestors. I will call into the past, far into the beginning of time, and beg them to help me at the judgment. I will reach back and draw them into me. And they must come…for at this moment I am the whole reason they have existed at all."

I have spent years digging into my family's history, and reconstructing my family tree. Why did I do it ?
Well, I think a man needs food to sustain his body, and his own Myths to sustain his "soul", whatever that is.
We all go through fine days, but also through bad ones. When things turn wrong, when stress, bereavement, an overload of work threatens to get the better of you, you need something to rely on. You may inwardly recite Henley's Invictus poem ("I am the captain of my Soul / I am the master of my Fate"), or you may seek for real life examples of willpower, perseverance, self-denial, stoicism...
My ancestors were all confined to a very restricted area. Some of them were prosperous farmers, others destitute peasants. All of them were "survivors", in a sense, characterized by unflinching determination and fighting spirit. They had to be, to scrape a living on our granitic mountains, between the rock-filled hilltops and marshy valley floors.
So I do not care much how much DNA I share with each of them people. Each limb of my tree is a pipe through which I suck the marrow of their strength.
I guess what genealogy means to me is best summed up by this excerpt from the movie Amistad :

"John Quincy Adams : ...the test ahead of us is an exceptionally difficult one.
Cinque : We won’t be going in there alone…
John Quincy Adams : Indeed not, no, we will have right on our side, we will have righteousness at our side…
Cinque : I meant my ancestors. I will call into the past, far into the beginning of time, and beg them to help me at the judgment. I will reach back and draw them into me. And they must come…for at this moment I am the whole reason they have existed at all."

Your post really speaks to me, hrvslv. That's how I feel about my people too, but I guess I generalize "my people" more than you do. I have a family tree on my father's side which is very extensive, going back to the mid-1500s and beyond in some cases. On my mother's too, although there are some lines which stop short of that date.

However, because I didn't know them or even much about a lot of them, and because I know I don't share a lot, if any, dna with them, I don't feel any particular connection with the people those names represent. However, because of them I feel a very intense connection with the people of these areas, with their history, which is often a history of great struggles to survive, with their folklore, music, food, with the very landscape.

The older I get, the stronger it gets. I often say to my relatives that I feel physically so much better there than here. They tell me: "aria tua", or "your air", your place. :)

Aria tua...

Decades ago, while driving, I was listening to an interview of Barbara Streisand on the radio. I never forgot a sentence she produced : "Every country has its own mist, its own light." (Can't remember what exactly she was talking about, but that's not the point)

Also, one of my American History teachers at Chicago's UIC used to start virtually each lecture with this sentence : "Geography is destiny."
It packs a lot in few words, doesn't it ?

I would like to know because it's interesting to know about the town/village my family is from and the relatedness of my kin around. The history around the region and how my DNA has along side the history match (Romans,Celts other people).
Hmm maybe i got something from them or maybe there was a migration a few generations ago from a different place. It makes me looks around history from the other places around the world and there culture in which my admixture is shown. I also do feel a relation culturally to the region and the admixtures aswell.

Hey it also add more of a story to me/you aswell, like a prequel i can say

Aria tua...

Decades ago, while driving, I was listening to an interview of Barbara Streisand on the radio. I never forgot a sentence she produced : "Every country has its own mist, its own light." (Can't remember what exactly she was talking about, but that's not the point)

Also, one of my American History teachers at Chicago's UIC used to start virtually each lecture with this sentence : "Geography is destiny."
It packs a lot in few words, doesn't it ?

It certainly does. Great quotes, both of them. Thank you. :)

@Adeo,
I know exactly what you mean.

In this calculation you are assuming that every one of the ancestors is a different person, but in small communities isolated for geographical, linguistic or other factors it is not true, expecially if there is the custom to marry within the same family to not disperse the hineritance. It's why endogamy and inbreeding detected in some villages of Sardinia is so high.

7 generations really isn't that much. That's only about 150 to 200 years back in time, so in the 19th century for most people now. I know all my ancestors at the 7th generation. All of them came from the countryside within a 30 km radius, and yet none are duplicated in my family tree. The first time I find an ancestor showing up twice is around the 10th generation. Even then, it is a single occurrence of two branches that diverged 200 years earlier. I have checked a lot of genealogies online and my case isn't an exception in Belgium. So unless people in other countries more frequently marry 3rd, 4th or 5th cousins, it's unlikely to affect the above calculation.

I guess that most of us have a family tree, and even if we did not make it ourselves, there is surely a relative in the family that spent considerable time (hundreds, if not thousands of hours) researching in archive rooms to go back as far as possible in time. There is often some kind of pride in some families to be able to claim that one descends from this or that famous ancestor who lived hundreds of years ago. Many will claim royal ancestry, and that typically ends up with the oldest surviving family trees in Europe, like those of the Carolingian and Merovingian dynasties. In fact, in countries where paper trails are particularly good, like in the UK, with a bit of effort almost anyone can find that they descend from Charlemagne and Clovis. Even if they can't, chances are that they do descend from them anyway, like most of us.

This in itself is not very bothering. Humans have sought to self-congratulate themselves and to seek pride in intangible and meaningless things like one's belief in an invented deity, or some potential descent from a medieval monarch about whom they usually don't know much really.

I was startled and rather disturbed to find out that the majority of people who order DNA tests do it for genealogical purposes, e.g. to complete their family tree or find distant cousins. I think that it's rather moronic (and I don't remember when is the last time I had to use that word before). I am going to justify myself, because obviously I cannot just say that something (or someone) is moronic without explaining why.

1) There is no point in claiming descent from ancestors who lived more than two centuries ago, because you may not have inherited any DNA from them

I suppose that part of the problem is that most people are inherently bad at maths. We inherited approximately 50% of our DNA from each parent, but because of DNA recombination we do not normally get just 25% from each grand-parent. It can be 23.642% or 26.87236% or whatever, but exactly 25% is almost unheard of. Therefor we do inherited more from some grand-parents than from others. This phenomenon amplifies at each additional generation. We may inherited about 18% of DNA from one great-grand-mother, but only 9% from another one. That's a two-to-one ratio, and only after three generations. Forget about text books that ridiculously explain that we inherit a fixed 12.5% from each great-grand-parent. That is misleading at best, especially when we apply the same logic to more distant generations.

After 7 generations, we do not inevitably inherited a mathematical 0.78125% of each ancestor's genome but that some ancestors contribute to more than 2% and others to 0%. And that's barely after 7 generations. People who pride themselves in descending from Charlemagne do not seem to understand that the man lived over 40 generations from us. In other words, even if his genetic contribution was not eliminated by recombinaisons somewhere along those 40 generations, the amount contributed would be less than 0.0000000001% of the genome.

All this to say that single ancestors on a family tree do not contribute anything meaningful to one's genome after a few generations. The only ancestor that keeps contributing the same 1% of DNA generation after generation, even after 1000 or 2000 years if the one on the patrilineal line for men. But what does that mean to share a Y chromosome? I have several paternal uncles and cousins sharing my Y chromosome and they couldn't be more different from me in every regard. We literally don't share anything in common.

2) Third and more distant cousins do not share any meaningful amount of DNA with you

Through of the laws of genetic recombination, siblings statistically share 50% of their genome, but in practice may share very different percentages, maybe between 40 and 60%. So your sibling's children may inherit about 20 to 30% of your DNA. According to 23andMe (based on observed customer data), first cousins share 7.31% - 13.8%, 2nd cousins 2.85% - 5.04%, and 3rd cousins a paltry 0.2% - 2%. In other words two men who share the same Y-chromosome, but separate by dozens of generations and with no known genealogical ties, may share more DNA through their Y-chromosome alone than two proven third cousins. That's just the way it is. Third cousins are not better than strangers in terms of genetic similarity. Anybody who believes that they are finding "blood relatives" when finding third or fourth cousins through DNA testing companies are badly deluded.

Even if they were to find first or second cousins that they didn't know about (I wonder how that's possible unless one was adopted), that still wouldn't guarantee that you share anything in common, be it for tastes, sensitivities, interests, way of thinking or whatever else matters in a relationship with another human being. If you are looking for people like you, join interest groups or online forums like this one. Don't waste your time imagining that because you share a few percent of DNA you will be compatible in any way. Just look at the number of siblings who can't stand each others, or at least don't have anything in common.

Conclusion

Attaching importance to distant ancestors or distant cousins in one's genealogy is almost as irrational and meaningless as astrology. People purchasing DNA tests for that sole purpose are wasting their money.

It's very sad because DNA test are so revolutionary and fantastic in so many ways. Everybody should have their genome sequenced, if only to know about their health risk. I absolutely cannot understand why anybody would not want to know who they are, or fear to find about disease risks (the logic is that if you don't know you can't prevent it and therefore you are likely to die from it). Why are people wasting their time with genetic genealogy and finding distant relatives?

For anybody interested in (pre)history and/or anthropology (e.g. human variations across ethnic groups, but also variations in time, across historical periods), DNA tests are a total boon. We could never hope for such a wonderful tool to solve many of history's secrets. It's ironic that Europeans, who care much more about history than almost anyone else, order less DNA tests than Americans. It's even more ironic that among Europeans the French may be the most obsessed about history, and yet it is the only country in he world where DNA tests are prohibited by law (what terrible secrets may they be hiding?).

For Albanians is mostly historical reason

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Your post really speaks to me, hrvslv. That's how I feel about my people too, but I guess I generalize "my people" more than you do. I have a family tree on my father's side which is very extensive, going back to the mid-1500s and beyond in some cases. On my mother's too, although there are some lines which stop short of that date.

However, because I didn't know them or even much about a lot of them, and because I know I don't share a lot, if any, dna with them, I don't feel any particular connection with the people those names represent. However, because of them I feel a very intense connection with the people of these areas, with their history, which is often a history of great struggles to survive, with their folklore, music, food, with the very landscape.

The older I get, the stronger it gets. I often say to my relatives that I feel physically so much better there than here. They tell me: "aria tua", or "your air", your place. :)
Im not envious but you're lucky to have that intense connection. I doubt I would feel any connection whatsoever and if I happen to visit my ancestral areas I'll feel as if I'm visiting a strange planet but I guess a big part of this is being born here in the US.

I don't think it's just being born in a place; it's spending formative years there eating the food, listening to the music, to the stories, just absorbing the essence of a place through your senses. My first memory of any kind, before I even had the words to describe it, is of sitting under my nonno's grape arbor at the height of summer, the dappled sunlight, the almost dry riverbed of the Magra in front of me, the blinding white of the stones, the intense blue of the sky in the distance, the perfume of rosemary bushes and geraniums, the clatter of the cicadas. If I close my eyes I'm instantly transported back.

On the other hand, there are people who have no genetic connection to a particular place, have never been there, and yet report that upon a first visit, they feel an instant connection to the place and people. I've never had that happen to me, but I've certainly felt very at home in southern France, and Spain, and Greece, although that's probably because they're not so different from where I was born

I do also think that if people live in a certain place for about a thousand years or more, as mine have done, there may have been a certain amount of adaptive selection going on, and so, yes, that may be why I feel so much healthier there, although the food may have something to do with it as well. For one thing, I have terrible seasonal allergies here, and I never have them at home.

Last edited:
How many here are surprised or believe their DNA of distant genealogy!?

without a registry papertrail , the best one can go back to for a clear ethnic result would be the middle ages. Then you have AuDna , and if one keeps track of this every 6 months you will see a change ..............example mine in 4 years, from Europe plus Anatolia to now Europe plus 1% Central Asian and no Anatolian

I hope all people will feel a kinship with the different eras that they had family live in. To find out that at least some of the stories they were told as they grew up were true and to respect what our ancestors (yes ALL of us) survived so that we are here today. It brings a personal understanding and life to history of the human race.

Just for fun. For me it's interesting to know, but nothing would make me proud, regardless of the results. Some people feel that their roots are what makes them " the best ", but these kind of people usually have no job or education.

This thread has been viewed 37338 times.

Back