The Neolithic Transition in the Baltic Was Not Driven by Admixture with Early Europea

arvistro

Elite member
Reaction score
http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)31542-1

Highlights

• •​
    A degree of genetic continuity from the Mesolithic to the Neolithic in the Baltic
  • •​
    Steppe-related genetic influences found in the Baltic during the Neolithic
  • •​
    No Anatolian farmer-related genetic admixture in Neolithic Baltic samples
  • •​
    Steppe ancestry in Latvia at the time of the emergence of Balto-Slavic languages

----

• Have not read this yet, but in the picture I see R1b1b in Latvia before 7000 years, together with Narva culture and earliest pottery??

R1b found in Mesolithic Hunter-Gatherer in Latvia

Fresh news from Anthrogenica, Mesolithic sample of R1b haplogroup in Latvia:

Parastais wrote: "Guys, more fun, more fun -
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php...h-Early-Europea
Mesolithic R1b in Latvia, Zvejnieki burial :)

Link: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fullte...9822(16)31542-1

Highlights:

• A degree of genetic continuity from the Mesolithic to the Neolithic in the Baltic
• Steppe-related genetic influences found in the Baltic during the Neolithic
• No Anatolian farmer-related genetic admixture in Neolithic Baltic samples
• Steppe ancestry in Latvia at the time of the emergence of Balto-Slavic language"

Amazing, two samples out of three in Mesolithic Latvia were R1b1b:

Further, the Y chromosomes of two of our Latvian Mesolithic samples were assigned to haplogroup R1b (the maximum-likelihood sub-haplogroup is R1b1b), which is the most common haplogroup found in modern Western Europeans [36].

Last edited:
Latvian Mesolithic hunters with R1b were White (unlike Mesolithic hunters in Western Europe):

"tentative evidence for progressive skin depigmentation in Mesolithic Latvia based on mutations in the SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 genes (rs1426654 and rs16891982, respectively"

Latvian Mesolithic hunters with R1b were White (unlike Mesolithic hunters in Western Europe):

"tentative evidence for progressive skin depigmentation in Mesolithic Latvia based on mutations in the SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 genes (rs1426654 and rs16891982, respectively"
Blue eyes too.
So, we have white blue eyed R1b1b guys chilling out near Burtnieks lake (Zvejnieki) in Latvia 7000 years ago.

Must re-read on Narva culture, where it came from.

This definitely confirms two of my long-held prejudices. The well-founded one that North-Eastern Europeans made the transition to agriculture by themselves, and the more contentious one that R1b1 became a Villabrunna-WHG marker in the European context.

This definitely confirms two of my long-held prejudices. The well-founded one that North-Eastern Europeans made the transition to agriculture by themselves, and the more contentious one that R1b1 became a Villabrunna-WHG marker in the European context.
This is not really confirmed that they did it by themselves, it is more about that it did not come from Anatolia, but later with Corded Ware.

Blue eyes too.
So, we have white blue eyed R1b1b guys chilling out near Burtnieks lake (Zvejnieki) in Latvia 7000 years ago.

Must re-read on Narva culture, where it came from.

Sounds almost like a study written by Straight White Male Northern European Supremacist Patriarchs!

ROTFL

I think we can merge my thread into your thread.

This is not really confirmed that they did it by themselves, it is more about that it did not come from Anatolia, but later with Corded Ware.

I should have said 'without demic impact from Anatolia'. Although it might turn out to be quite a bit more complex at the regional level.

So 3 out of 3 oldest samples of R1b are from Pre-Neolithic Europe.

Is there anyone who still believes in West Asian origin of R1b crap?

Moreover, I think R1b-V88 were descended from Villabruna WHG.

Meanwhile, R1b-M269 clade emerged in [North-]Eastern Europe.

Sorry, Marko, where do you get that they made the transition "by themselves"? Wasn't it already known that the transition took place when Corded Ware arrived? I haven't yet had time to look at the paper. Do they have evidence that it took place before that migration occurred? Other than the R1b1 Mesolithic find, what is it that is new here?

Ed. A bit of a cross posting thing here. I see the issue has already been addressed.

R1b1 became a Villabrunna-WHG marker in the European context.

Villabruna descendants live in Chad today, and are known as R1b-V88, who came from Paleolithic Europe.

They came to Africa together with Upper Paleolithic European women (such as U6 mtDNA haplogroup):

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_U6_mtDNA.shtml

If I recall correctly, at least one sample of U6 was found in Upper Paleolithic, Pre-LGM, Europe.

So 3 out of 3 oldest samples of R1b are from Pre-Neolithic Europe.

Is there anyone who still believes in West Asian origin of R1b crap?

Moreover, I think R1b-V88 were descended from Villabruna WHG.

Meanwhile, R1b-M269 clade emerged in [North-]Eastern Europe.

Stop jumping to all sorts of conclusions, as usual. Also, clean up your language.

The Neolithic transitions in the Baltic and Dnieper Rapids region of Ukraine show very different archaeological and genetic dynamics to those observed in Central and Western Europe. Although in central Europe pottery and agriculture arrive as a package, in the Baltic and Dnieper Rapids the onset of the Neolithic is characterized by the appearance of ceramics, with a definitive shift to an agro-pastoralist economy only occurring during the Late Neolithic/Bronze Age [13, 14, 15, 16, 19]. Although the prolonged and piecemeal uptake of Neolithic characteristics in these regions makes it challenging to attribute a definitive shift in ideology or lifestyle, it does, along with evidence for continuities in material culture and settlement patterns, suggest that Neolithic features were predominantly adopted by indigenous hunter-gatherers in this region [13, 14, 15, 16, 37]. We find genetic evidence in support of this in the affinity of the Latvian and Ukrainian Neolithic samples, Latvian_MN1 and Ukrainian_N1, to earlier Mesolithic samples from the same respective regions. However, we also find indications of genetic impact from exogenous populations during the Neolithic, most likely from northern Eurasia and the Pontic Steppe. These influences are distinct from the Anatolian-farmer-related gene flow found in central Europe during this period. It is interesting to note that even in outlying areas of Europe, such as Sweden and Ireland [38, 39], an Anatolian-farmer-related genetic signature is present by the Middle to Late Neolithic period (∼5,300–4,700 cal BP). We conclude that the gradual appearance of features associated with the Neolithic package in the Baltic and Dnieper Rapids was not tied to the same major genetic changes as in other regions of Europe. The emergence of Neolithic features in the absence of immigration by Anatolian farmers highlights the roles of horizontal cultural transmission and potentially independent innovation during the Neolithic transition.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)31542-1

Some think that corded ware and later potapovka/sintashta originated from herders in the steppe/forest area or even further north.
This study makes that more likely.

Sorry, Marko, where do you get that they made the transition "by themselves"? Wasn't it already known that the transition took place when Corded Ware arrived? I haven't yet had time to look at the paper. Do they have evidence that it took place before that migration occurred? Other than the R1b1 Mesolithic find, what is it that is new here?

Ed. A bit of a cross posting thing here. I see the issue has already been addressed.

I just skimmed the admixture analysis - Latvia_LN1 (early Corded Ware) does have substantial farmer admixture. Which leaves me wondering why the authors would chose that headline.

My earlier assumption was based on the dates of Corded Ware in Finland and Latvia.

Villabruna descendants live in Chad today, and are known as R1b-V88, who came from Paleolithic Europe.

They came to Africa together with Upper Paleolithic European women (such as U6 mtDNA haplogroup):

If I recall correctly, at least one sample of U6 was found in Upper Paleolithic, Pre-LGM, Europe.

What on earth? The most probable estimate for the arrival of V88 deep in Africa is long after the paleolithic. It probably arrived with herders after the domestication of animals in the Near East.

Perhaps you should contain your joy that another north-east European mesolithic hunter was WHITE skinned. It seems it has made you forget much of the information which has already been discussed here.

Looks more like R1b with U5b Mtdna was more important in a " epigravettian " context in epipaleolithic / mesolithic than people think. U5b is the main mtdna haplogroup found in Baltic Mesolithic Kunda, Narva, Zedmar cultures, likely comes from south-west europe, maybe linked with R1b and solutrean culture, hypothesis that people would put in a hole, slowely came interessting.

Villabruna was pré-V88, not V88, it probably branched of from V88 abt 16 ka, while TMRCA of V88 is 11.8 ka
TMRCA of V88 in Africa is only abt 5.5 ka, just before the foundation of Egypt

This thread has been viewed 131729 times.

Back