Wadsworth

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Anglo-Scottish
Y-DNA haplogroup
G2a-Z726-Z40538
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1c2a
Hello all, I am new to genetics and I have a query. I am English with my paternal ancestry traceable to Yorkshire as far back as the 1700s. My Y-DNA is G2a3b1a, specifically G-Z726; am I right in thinking that this line originated with Franks/Saxons who arrived with the Anglo-Saxon settlement, and later Norman conquest of England? Or did it originate from the Celtic Brigantes who dominated Yorkshire prior to the invasions? I'm not sure if its relevant but I also took an ancestry.com test with the results showing 60% Europe West, 15% Ireland, 13% Great Britain, 5% Scandinavia and 7% Iberia.
Does anyone have more information regarding G-Z726?

You're from a branch of G that was likely Indo-Europeanized in the Alps and became phenotypically indistinguishable from the Halstatt Celts who would normally be R1b. So if you are from the UK, that is likely something that came with the Celts that originally arrived from the Halstatt area.

However, G2a3b1a (G-L497) is also associated with the original Italic peoples who came over the Alps from Halstatt so it's technically possibly that you got it from the Roman occupation of the UK. More than likely, it was from the Halstatt Celts themselves not the G-L497's that became the patrician class of Rome along with R1b's etc.

Essentially, your subclade of G2a is one where the mutation occurred clearly within the Indo European invasion time period and appears to be a clade that first mutated in Europe. It also could have been a clade that, via proximity to the R1a/R1b homeland near the Caucasus, was assimilated into the R1b/R1a horse warrior hordes before they even started their conquest of Continental Europe.

I am most likely also G2a3b1a but almost certainly from the Italic tribes who became the first Romans. My current confirmed clade is upstream of yours as G-L30 but it would make me 1/3 people in the world who would be negative for downstream mutations (like yours). Therefore, I suspect for this reason and a number of others that I am also G-L497. I'll post in this forum if I glean anything interesting about the subclade.

I am no expert on these issues. I'm still just learning myself. What I've included here is just a summary of what I've pieced together so far from my online research.

You're from a branch of G that was likely Indo-Europeanized in the Alps and became phenotypically indistinguishable from the Halstatt Celts who would normally be R1b. So if you are from the UK, that is likely something that came with the Celts that originally arrived from the Halstatt area.

However, G2a3b1a (G-L497) is also associated with the original Italic peoples who came over the Alps from Halstatt so it's technically possibly that you got it from the Roman occupation of the UK. More than likely, it was from the Halstatt Celts themselves not the G-L497's that became the patrician class of Rome along with R1b's etc.

Essentially, your subclade of G2a is one where the mutation occurred clearly within the Indo European invasion time period and appears to be a clade that first mutated in Europe. It also could have been a clade that, via proximity to the R1a/R1b homeland near the Caucasus, was assimilated into the R1b/R1a horse warrior hordes before they even started their conquest of Continental Europe.

I am most likely also G2a3b1a but almost certainly from the Italic tribes who became the first Romans. My current confirmed clade is upstream of yours as G-L30 but it would make me 1/3 people in the world who would be negative for downstream mutations (like yours). Therefore, I suspect for this reason and a number of others that I am also G-L497. I'll post in this forum if I glean anything interesting about the subclade.

I am no expert on these issues. I'm still just learning myself. What I've included here is just a summary of what I've pieced together so far from my online research.
An correction, current ISOGG term is G2a2b2a1b, no more G2a3b1. ;)

Apologies for bumping an old post. WeGene says my paternal haplogroup is G2a2b2a1a1a1a and the MorleyDNA Y predictor is saying G2a3b1a1a1. Both extracted from the same AncestryDNA test. Would the G2a3 one be the old designation or could it just be a difference in the database they test against or something? My ancestry on the Y line is from Scotland as far back as I can trace (early 1700's to possibly early 1200's).

Ricki,

The G2a3 is indeed the old designation.

Interesting you mention Scotland, my line is G2a-Z726 from northern England (Yorkshire/Lancashire) dating to the mid-1600's. My autosomal tests link my family to Bell Beaker people in Scotland (2145 BC).

Bell Beaker Scotland 2145 BC? That reminds me of my #1 match on Mytrueancestry.com, at a distance of 3.38, and I am R1a. (77% British Isles DNA according to Ancestry, so that's probably why)

Apologies for bumping an old post. WeGene says my paternal haplogroup is G2a2b2a1a1a1a and the MorleyDNA Y predictor is saying G2a3b1a1a1. Both extracted from the same AncestryDNA test. Would the G2a3 one be the old designation or could it just be a difference in the database they test against or something? My ancestry on the Y line is from Scotland as far back as I can trace (early 1700's to possibly early 1200's).
It means you're G-Z2022<-G-L13<-G-U1.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/G-L13/

Thanks shissem, I thought the g2a3 might have been the old designation. On MyTrueAncestry it does appear that i might have some links to various Bell Beaker people in Scotland, England, and other parts of Europe as well. Along with Viking, Visigoth, and Longobard, etc apparently. Quite interesting.

And thanks Regio. I think the Morley DNA site also said I would be most likely G-Z2022 but it still listed g2a3, etc as well.

This thread has been viewed 10592 times.

Back