Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Red Headed Turks

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Red Headed Turks



    So I posted this question in another forum, and someone sent me a message referring me to here. This guy is turkish, but does he look turkish in your opinion. Do you think that he has more Eastern European features or more North Caucasian features. Or could these features even be Anatolian features? What are you guys thoughts about this. I know Turkey is very diverse because of the long life of the Ottomans. I was even wondering if these features could be Laz but this is a very not well known ethnic group in Turkey. IMG_0318.jpgIMG_0952.jpgIMG_0060.jpg
    Last edited by tahir0010; 19-02-17 at 03:50.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    12-12-16
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    288
    Points
    2,941
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,941, Level: 15
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 15.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b U-152
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c8

    Ethnic group
    Italian, Jewish, British
    Country: USA - Massachusetts



    Picture will not work. However, here is an example of a Syrian. http://www.romanreignswwe.net/wp-con...-2016-1276.jpg

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    I got the picture in there here it is for you

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    12-12-16
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    288
    Points
    2,941
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,941, Level: 15
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 15.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b U-152
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c8

    Ethnic group
    Italian, Jewish, British
    Country: USA - Massachusetts



    Just copy and paste the Image URL.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Can you see the ones I just posted in the original sentence. Sorry new to this, but here is the link https://postimg.org/image/qu5zgzm4d/ Attachment 8497Attachment 8498Attachment 8499

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    12-12-16
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    288
    Points
    2,941
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,941, Level: 15
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 15.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b U-152
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c8

    Ethnic group
    Italian, Jewish, British
    Country: USA - Massachusetts



    https://s6.postimg.org/gwuynxeip/IMG_0318.jpg

    Looks distinctly Middle Eastern. I would guess some kind of North Caucasian, Arabid mix. He does not strike me as Eastern European, nor a Turkic Central Asian type.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Do you think it could be a mix of the upper Norther Caucasian region of Turkey, and maybe Kurdish that is what I was thinking? I think this image is better. https://s6.postimg.org/8smuj6s3l/IMG_0952.jpg especially from the nose. This is better picture, but for me does not look like northern Europe from nose, and eyes. Especially eye brows usually are not that thick or long on Northern Europeans and the slanted nose at the end makes me think more. Kurdish mixed maybe with Northern Caucasian.

  8. #8
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Fire Haired14's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-04-14
    Posts
    2,194
    Points
    28,146
    Level
    51
    Points: 28,146, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

    Country: USA - Illinois



    What part of Turkey is he from? Anyways I agree with New Englander he looks like a stero typical Mid Easterner.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    He is from Trabzon so the North East near the Caucasus mountains, and near the black sea. So I am wondering if he also has some mix of Kurdish in him?

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    12-12-16
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    288
    Points
    2,941
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,941, Level: 15
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 15.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b U-152
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c8

    Ethnic group
    Italian, Jewish, British
    Country: USA - Massachusetts



    Kurdish are Iranians, not Arabs. Most Kurds wont have anything over 15% SW Asian. He looks like he could be mixed with Jewish or Armenian or seems to have those features in part.

  11. #11
    Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered

    Join Date
    06-11-16
    Posts
    184


    Ethnic group
    Neapolitan, Swiss, Slavic
    Country: Hungary



    He could be Albanian or Bosniak, but he has more of a Caucasian-Steppe look.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Yes Turks did mix with Armenian so it is possible, but also he is from the north east of Turkey near Georgia. So I was wondering Georgian, Chechen, or even Abkhazia. I just do not know where the jewish would come from. In that area unless it came from like parts of Russia. I guess it could even be Tatar or Bashkir.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    I would think a Macedonian Albanian though not pure blooded. You are from Hungary isn't there a large amount of Albanians in your country?

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Valerius's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-05-15
    Posts
    85
    Points
    3,705
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,705, Level: 17
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-M123*/E-Y31991
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV (T16311C!)

    Country: Bulgaria



    I've seen Turkish people with similar looks and light hair or light eyes and they tend to look more like some people from the Caucasian mountains rather than to Europeans.
    Last edited by Valerius; 20-02-17 at 19:54.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
    I've seen Turkish people with similar looks and light hair or light eyes and they tend to look more like some people from the Caucasian mountains rather than to Europeans.

    Sent from my LG-P710 using Eupedia Forum mobile app
    So you think his roots would be Caucasian? Do you think it would be like Assyrian Muslims? Or Ossetian Muslims? Or even from Chechnya.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Valerius's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-05-15
    Posts
    85
    Points
    3,705
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,705, Level: 17
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-M123*/E-Y31991
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV (T16311C!)

    Country: Bulgaria



    Quote Originally Posted by tahir0010 View Post
    So you think his roots would be Caucasian? Do you think it would be like Assyrian Muslims? Or Ossetian Muslims? Or even from Chechnya.
    Frankly I have no idea, it's just matter of looks. The modern populations are mix of different people so he could have influences from here and there, not just one source. Mind that the red hair alone is rare but not absent from the Near East.

  17. #17
    Mutaghalliba Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    raspberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-16
    Posts
    136
    Points
    3,588
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,588, Level: 17
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-BY139812
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    Arab
    Country: Turkey



    Red hair is not unique to Europe. It is a mutation wich occured during a time where no modern ethnicities existed. It occurs in whole Eurasia. Izzet ad Duri, a former Iraqi military commander, has also red hair (besides this he looks like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad :) ).
    3ox43835.jpg
    I dont think that Red hair is a mutation of the "Indo Europeans", rather a mutation of the basal Eurasian people. Below native and "homogenous" Bedouin girl with red hair.
    Shammara.jpg
    Of course I dont know from where your friend originates, because it is possible that his red hair are a sign of "European" origin (this could be a possibility if he would originate from Western Anatolia).

  18. #18
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,168
    Points
    268,994
    Level
    100
    Points: 268,994, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Gentlemen, I moved the thread because "phenotype" threads belong in anthropology.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  19. #19
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Fire Haired14's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-04-14
    Posts
    2,194
    Points
    28,146
    Level
    51
    Points: 28,146, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

    Country: USA - Illinois



    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Red hair is not unique to Europe. It is a mutation wich occured during a time where no modern ethnicities existed. It occurs in whole Eurasia. Izzet ad Duri, a former Iraqi military commander, has also red hair (besides this he looks like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad :) ).
    3ox43835.jpg
    I dont think that Red hair is a mutation of the "Indo Europeans", rather a mutation of the basal Eurasian people. Below native and "homogenous" Bedouin girl with red hair.
    Shammara.jpg
    Of course I dont know from where your friend originates, because it is possible that his red hair are a sign of "European" origin (this could be a possibility if he would originate from Western Anatolia).
    That Bedouin girl's hair might be dyed. Even if red hair is from Basal Eurasian, Steppe people can be an important source for red hair today because they had Basal Eurasian ancestry.

    Anyways modern red hair frequencies don't suggest red hair has anything to do with Basal Eurasian. But in my opinion there's no reliable way to trace its origin by looking at modern frequencies. Ancient DNA is the only way to trace its origin. And like with other traits its origin probably isn't simplistic.

    The only reliable data I know of which tell of red hair frequencies are the frequencies of three true known red hair mutations; R160W, R151C, and D294H.

    I know have data for frequencies of those mutations from Western Europe plus few from Eastern Europe; Greece, Poland, and Finland.

    Based on this data it looks like Red hair peaks in the Northwest tip of Europe; Britain, Ireland, Scandinavia, Netherlands. It looks like Red hair droughts in Southern Europe; Spain, Italy, and Greece. So far the oldest examples of people with one of those mutations are; Sweden 2000 BC, Russia 2000 BC, Hungary 2000 BC, Germany 1000 BC. The individual from Russia was about 65% Steppe decent, while the individual from Hungary was only 30% and probably an actual redhead.

    R160W
    Top 5
    Norway: 23.5%
    Netherlands: 20%
    Orkeny Scotland: 19.4%
    Sweden: 19.1%
    England: 17%

    Bottom 5
    Greece: 2%
    Spain: 2.1%
    Sardinia: 2.9%
    Italy: 4.8%
    South France: 4.8%

    R151C
    Top 5
    Ireland: 24%
    Norway: 22%
    Orkeny Scotland: 21.3%
    England: 19%
    Swedish: 16%

    Bottom 5
    Sardinia: 1%
    Greece: 3.3%
    South France: 4%
    Spain: 4.4%
    Paris France: 7.6%

    D294H
    Top 5
    Ireland: 7%
    Paris France: 5.7%
    Sardinia: 5%
    Italy: 4.4%
    Spain: 3.7%

    Bottom 5
    Poland: 0%
    Greece: 0%
    Finland: 1%
    Netherlands: 1.2%
    Sweden: 1.3%

  20. #20
    Mutaghalliba Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    raspberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-16
    Posts
    136
    Points
    3,588
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,588, Level: 17
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-BY139812
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    Arab
    Country: Turkey



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    That Bedouin girl's hair might be dyed. Even if red hair is from Basal Eurasian, Steppe people can be an important source for red hair today because they had Basal Eurasian ancestry.

    Anyways modern red hair frequencies don't suggest red hair has anything to do with Basal Eurasian. But in my opinion there's no reliable way to trace its origin by looking at modern frequencies. Ancient DNA is the only way to trace its origin. And like with other traits its origin probably isn't simplistic.

    The only reliable data I know of which tell of red hair frequencies are the frequencies of three true known red hair mutations; R160W, R151C, and D294H.

    I know have data for frequencies of those mutations from Western Europe plus few from Eastern Europe; Greece, Poland, and Finland.

    Based on this data it looks like Red hair peaks in the Northwest tip of Europe; Britain, Ireland, Scandinavia, Netherlands. It looks like Red hair droughts in Southern Europe; Spain, Italy, and Greece. So far the oldest examples of people with one of those mutations are; Sweden 2000 BC, Russia 2000 BC, Hungary 2000 BC, Germany 1000 BC. The individual from Russia was about 65% Steppe decent, while the individual from Hungary was only 30% and probably an actual redhead.

    R160W
    Top 5
    Norway: 23.5%
    Netherlands: 20%
    Orkeny Scotland: 19.4%
    Sweden: 19.1%
    England: 17%

    Bottom 5
    Greece: 2%
    Spain: 2.1%
    Sardinia: 2.9%
    Italy: 4.8%
    South France: 4.8%

    R151C
    Top 5
    Ireland: 24%
    Norway: 22%
    Orkeny Scotland: 21.3%
    England: 19%
    Swedish: 16%

    Bottom 5
    Sardinia: 1%
    Greece: 3.3%
    South France: 4%
    Spain: 4.4%
    Paris France: 7.6%

    D294H
    Top 5
    Ireland: 7%
    Paris France: 5.7%
    Sardinia: 5%
    Italy: 4.4%
    Spain: 3.7%

    Bottom 5
    Poland: 0%
    Greece: 0%
    Finland: 1%
    Netherlands: 1.2%
    Sweden: 1.3%
    In this case it is her natural hair colour. It could be connected to the steppe, but I think that phenotypical mutations (blue eyes, red hair etc.) are not limited to relatively recent cultures (like the steppe). It could be that red hair was widely spread among these steppe people, but its origins are probably even older. The same for eye colours.. Anyway, I am not an expert on phenotypical mutations.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    In this case it is her natural hair colour. It could be connected to the steppe, but I think that phenotypical mutations (blue eyes, red hair etc.) are not limited to relatively recent cultures (like the steppe). It could be that red hair was widely spread among these steppe people, but its origins are probably even older. The same for eye colours.. Anyway, I am not an expert on phenotypical mutations.
    Do you think this style of nose is definitely more Turkish looking though then European? I personally think the red hair might have come from Tatar sense I know there is high population up in Karadeniz area (black sea area of Turkey)
    https://s6.postimg.org/saif1vmwx/IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg

  22. #22
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Red hair is not unique to Europe. It is a mutation wich occured during a time where no modern ethnicities existed. It occurs in whole Eurasia. Izzet ad Duri, a former Iraqi military commander, has also red hair (besides this he looks like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad :) ).
    3ox43835.jpg
    I dont think that Red hair is a mutation of the "Indo Europeans", rather a mutation of the basal Eurasian people. Below native and "homogenous" Bedouin girl with red hair.
    Shammara.jpg
    Of course I dont know from where your friend originates, because it is possible that his red hair are a sign of "European" origin (this could be a possibility if he would originate from Western Anatolia).
    Sorry I can tell you origins. His great great great ancestors came from Diyarbakir, Mardin, Urfa, and around nothern Iraq. From what he told me, and then they went towards the black sea, or your turkish so you know Karadeniz. So I was wondering if it could be laz, or cerkez. Then finally they went to Bursa, and settled in that area. Also he has traces of Eastern Europe.

  23. #23
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Fire Haired14's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-04-14
    Posts
    2,194
    Points
    28,146
    Level
    51
    Points: 28,146, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 31.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

    Country: USA - Illinois



    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    This is just a very hypothetical opinon of mine. I think this light pigmented West Asian guy doesn't look European because he lacks these defining/typical (male)European facial features; Tall, wide, and boxy/square forehead. Boxy/square eye brow bone. Non-protruding, small, somewhat flat nose. Thin almost non existent eyebrow hair.

    So in my opinion the ones on the left are typical Europeans. While the ones on the right are clearly West Asian. One of the "Europeans" is heavily West Asian admixed(75% Euro Jewish), and one of the "West Asians" is a European(from Montenegro) who has a closer relation to West Asia than other Europeans.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-02-17
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,122
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,122, Level: 8
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    This is just a very hypothetical opinon of mine. I think this light pigmented West Asian guy doesn't look European because he lacks these defining/typical (male)European facial features; Tall, wide, and boxy/square forehead. Boxy/square eye brow bone. Non-protruding, small, somewhat flat nose. Thin almost non existent eyebrow hair.

    So in my opinion the ones on the left are typical Europeans. While the ones on the right are clearly West Asian. One of the "Europeans" is heavily West Asian admixed(75% Euro
    Jewish), and one of the "West Asians" is a European(from Montenegro) who has a closer relation to West Asia than other Europeans.
    So for example like the pictures I posted above these hooked nose and these kind of things are less of a European trait like this so these hooked noses, and thicker eyebrows is more of a East Asian thing? Also in the picture I linked do you know what could cause the hooked nose. https://s6.postimg.org/saif1vmwx/IMG_2028.jpg



  25. #25
    Baron Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-05-12
    Posts
    267
    Points
    5,804
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,804, Level: 22
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    I've known a red headed Turk from Azerbaijan. He was even lighter haired and more west European looking than the guy in the OP. The sequence of 4 men there. The top 2 look European, bottom two look part Middle Eastern. I know top right is Adam Levine, and is at least part Ashkenazi Jewish, but look standard European. The bottom right guy is the Armenian origin singer from System of a Down, and definitely would look atypical in north European countries, along with the guy on the bottom left, whoever that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •