Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Distance Between Languages

  1. #1
    Regular Member Boreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-15
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    709

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-YP346
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1b1b1

    Ethnic group
    Rumî
    Country: Turkey



    1 members found this post helpful.

    Distance Between Languages



    Detail aboult dialects? Example, I am wondering how close standard Italian to Veneto? Sardinian seems far to me
    Any data about Turkic lang.-Iranic lang. ?

    There are really interesting information, we can get it as;

    Bokmal Norwegian(Red) is very close to Danish, instead of Nynorks Norwegian (Blue)


    *Celtic languages are very far from each other.

    *I thought, Danish was close to German as much as Dutch, but, it seems I am wrong. Danish is far as almost English.

    *Bulgarian is more close to Russian then Ukranian

    The other part is the effect of Languages on Nationalism ???

    I didn't know that Serbian and Croatian that much similar.

    What do you thing of new nations Montenegrins and Macedonians ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    13


    Country: United States



    I don't know how Iranian languages would be spread but most Turkic languages are very much similar to each other as they didn't split much until recently (relatively speaking).

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    211


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Catalan is much closer to Occitan than described in the chart, IMHO.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Boreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-15
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    709

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-YP346
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1b1b1

    Ethnic group
    Rumî
    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    Catalan is much closer to Occitan than described in the chart, IMHO.
    I have thought it too.

    Maybe future independence of Catalonia push Occitania as well

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    211


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    I have thought it too.

    Maybe future independence of Catalonia push Occitania as well
    That is a political statement (which I share). But in linguistic terms, it is odd Catalan is so far away from Occitan. And let me add, so far away from French. I studied French as a teenager, and I recall thinking that French was similar to old Catalan.

    From the chart, French is almost at the same distance from English than Catalan, and I can confidently state that this is bollocks (if Euclidean distance in the chart represents linguistic distance).

  6. #6
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,117

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

    Detail aboult dialects? Example, I am wondering how close standard Italian to Veneto? Sardinian seems far to me
    Any data about Turkic lang.-Iranic lang. ?
    There are really interesting information, we can get it as;

    Bokmal Norwegian(Red) is very close to Danish, instead of Nynorks Norwegian (Blue)
    *Celtic languages are very far from each other.
    *I thought, Danish was close to German as much as Dutch, but, it seems I am wrong. Danish is far as almost English.
    *Bulgarian is more close to Russian then Ukranian
    The other part is the effect of Languages on Nationalism ???
    I didn't know that Serbian and Croatian that much similar.
    What do you thing of new nations Montenegrins and Macedonians ?
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-d...tian-languages
    .
    all italian regional languages which are noted as Vulgar Italian are far older than the Italian language which is not classified as vulgar Italian
    .
    words like Pomodoro ( tomato which means apple of gold ) is a venetian word .....as an apple in venetian is a pomo................the italian word for apple is Mela ...but Italians do not use Meladoro as a tomato......so about 50-60% of words in italian are the same in Tuscan and Venetian.
    .
    below is what was venetian in the 18th and 19th century
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cla34bTSvIs
    subtitles is portueguese
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

    when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Boreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-15
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    709

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-YP346
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1b1b1

    Ethnic group
    Rumî
    Country: Turkey



    What about Sardinian Language, it seems that it is the farest Italian language.

    Examples
    Macedonian and Bulgarian
    Serbian-Bosnian and Croatian

    I have thought Wallons speaks French, but they speaks an other language which is close to French.
    Even Montenegrians speak their own language.

    But is it Montenegrian Serbian / Coastal Serbian Language or an seperated languages?

    How is the distance of English accents?

    Americanish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8pNh6LqFh8

  8. #8
    Regular Member Stuvanè's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    459

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    What about Sardinian Language, it seems that it is the farest Italian language.

    Examples
    Macedonian and Bulgarian
    Serbian-Bosnian and Croatian

    I have thought Wallons speaks French, but they speaks an other language which is close to French.
    Even Montenegrians speak their own language.

    But is it Montenegrian Serbian / Coastal Serbian Language or an seperated languages?

    How is the distance of English accents?

    Americanish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8pNh6LqFh8
    Sardinian has extremely conservative characteristics that bring it closer to Latin than to modern Italian

    Sent from my SM-J730F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

  9. #9
    Regular Member Boreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-15
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    709

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-YP346
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1b1b1

    Ethnic group
    Rumî
    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by Stuvanè View Post
    Sardinian has extremely conservative characteristics that bring it closer to Latin than to modern Italian

    Sent from my SM-J730F using Eupedia Forum mobile app
    Don't you think like that? Do you think that they are overacting?

    Distance between Sardinian and Modern Italian is bigger than any other Italian dialects.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,117

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Don't you think like that? Do you think that they are overacting?
    Distance between Sardinian and Modern Italian is bigger than any other Italian dialects.
    All linguists state that all languages are dialects and all dialects are languages , the only difference is a nation only has a language and the others not, as an example pre 2006 Montenegrin was a dialect after it became a nation it was called a language without any changes .
    --if sicily became a nation, then its dialect would be classified as a language............if Crimea became a nation its dialect will be called a language.
    .
    a saying is..............the difference between a language and a dialect is the language has an army.
    .
    I just see it as linguists do...everybody speaks a dialect

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-05-17
    Posts
    337


    Country: Lithuania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    All linguists state that all languages are dialects and all dialects are languages , the only difference is a nation only has a language and the others not, as an example pre 2006 Montenegrin was a dialect after it became a nation it was called a language without any changes .
    --if sicily became a nation, then its dialect would be classified as a language............if Crimea became a nation its dialect will be called a language.
    .
    a saying is..............the difference between a language and a dialect is the language has an army.
    .
    I just see it as linguists do...everybody speaks a dialect
    it's already language
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Tatar_language

  12. #12
    Regular Member Boreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-15
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    709

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-YP346
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1b1b1

    Ethnic group
    Rumî
    Country: Turkey



    Yes, Crimea Tatars have own languages, and the 2016 winner of Eurovision Ukraine has some Tatar language part. Actually, Turkish translate is totaly same with Tatar version.

    But, I also give a right to Sile, politics can change everything.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    23-04-18
    Posts
    29


    Country: Australia



    The term "disproportionate" in the context you are using here implies that you have some idea of how far apart the tribes should be, otherwise you wouldn't know the distance was disproportionate. So please tell us, from your vast knowledge of linguistics and cultural anthropology, what is the proper distance that should separate tribes?

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    2,237


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Źıun View Post
    I don't know how Iranian languages would be spread but most Turkic languages are very much similar to each other as they didn't split much until recently (relatively speaking).
    The problem is that several of the most relevant present-day Iranian languages (Persian, Tadjik, Dari), since so many others went extinct, are in fact modern dialects derived from Medieval Persian, so they are more directly "Persian languages/dialects" than Iranic ones.

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    2,237


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    All linguists state that all languages are dialects and all dialects are languages , the only difference is a nation only has a language and the others not, as an example pre 2006 Montenegrin was a dialect after it became a nation it was called a language without any changes .
    --if sicily became a nation, then its dialect would be classified as a language............if Crimea became a nation its dialect will be called a language.
    .
    a saying is..............the difference between a language and a dialect is the language has an army.
    .
    I just see it as linguists do...everybody speaks a dialect
    You're mostly right, but linguists do concede that when there are many linguistic variants that are too closely related to have virtually perfect mutual intelligibility, without any strong need to adapt oneself to the other dialect, then they are in fact variants of one and the same language. It's right that everyone speaks a dialect, even if it's the prestigious and standardised one, but not all dialects are recognized as distinct languages by linguists, because they're just too similar and too intelligible for speakers of other dialects. For example, in linguistics it's already universally accepted that Sicilian is a language, not an Italian dialect, but if you talk about the way Sicilians pronounce and make sentences in Standard Italian they'll agree that it's nothing but a dialect of Italian, one among many regional variants that have started diverging too recently and are not distinctive enough yet.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Boreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-05-15
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    709

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-YP346
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1b1b1

    Ethnic group
    Rumî
    Country: Turkey



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    The problem is that several of the most relevant present-day Iranian languages (Persian, Tadjik, Dari), since so many others went extinct, are in fact modern dialects derived from Medieval Persian, so they are more directly "Persian languages/dialects" than Iranic ones.
    It doesn't seems like that there are other living Iranian languages which belongs to different branches then Medieval Persian.
    https://www.kisspng.com/png-indo-ira...an-pe-1115400/

  17. #17
    Regular Member edulofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-11-18
    Posts
    25


    Country: China



    yes you are right.
    The problem is that several of the most relevant present-day Iranian languages (Persian, Tadjik, Dari), since so many others went extinct, are in fact modern dialects derived from Medieval Persian, so they are more directly "Persian languages/dialects" than Iranic ones.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    18-11-18
    Posts
    2


    Country: Austria



    Some dialects of British English are a language in & of themselves. You will rarely if not never, after all, hear an American or anyone born outside the UK use the word bairn for child as some regions still do unless their parents/family are from the area.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    09-10-18
    Posts
    545


    Country: Iran



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    The problem is that several of the most relevant present-day Iranian languages (Persian, Tadjik, Dari), since so many others went extinct, are in fact modern dialects derived from Medieval Persian, so they are more directly "Persian languages/dialects" than Iranic ones.
    Persia (Parsi/Parhasi) was just a place name in east of Elam which has been mentioned in the Mesopotamian sources from the third millennium BC, it had nothing to do with the Iranian culture, the fact is that Iranian language was spread through Eurasia by Scythians, it reached Iran in the 7th century BC when Scythian conquered the western part of Iran, as herodotus has also said, first Medians were forced to learn the Scythian language and then Persians were Iranized. The name of this language, as ancient Persian kings have themselves mentioned, was Aryan, not Persian.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •