Reaction score
Ethnic group
Rumî
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-YP346
mtDNA haplogroup
J1b1b1
lexical-distance-among-the-languages-of-europe-2-1-mid-size.png

Detail aboult dialects? Example, I am wondering how close standard Italian to Veneto? Sardinian seems far to me
Any data about Turkic lang.-Iranic lang. ? :grin:

There are really interesting information, we can get it as;
800px-M%C3%A5lformer_i_Norge.svg.png

Bokmal Norwegian(Red) is very close to Danish, instead of Nynorks Norwegian (Blue)

*Celtic languages are very far from each other.

*I thought, Danish was close to German as much as Dutch, but, it seems I am wrong. Danish is far as almost English.

*Bulgarian is more close to Russian then Ukranian

The other part is the effect of Languages on Nationalism ???

I didn't know that Serbian and Croatian that much similar.

What do you thing of new nations Montenegrins and Macedonians ?
Balkans-ethnic_(1861).jpg

East-Central-and-Southeast-Europe-Nationality-Map.gif

I don't know how Iranian languages would be spread but most Turkic languages are very much similar to each other as they didn't split much until recently (relatively speaking).

Catalan is much closer to Occitan than described in the chart, IMHO.

Catalan is much closer to Occitan than described in the chart, IMHO.

I have thought it too.

Maybe future independence of Catalonia push Occitania as well

I have thought it too.

Maybe future independence of Catalonia push Occitania as well

That is a political statement (which I share). But in linguistic terms, it is odd Catalan is so far away from Occitan. And let me add, so far away from French. I studied French as a teenager, and I recall thinking that French was similar to old Catalan.

From the chart, French is almost at the same distance from English than Catalan, and I can confidently state that this is bollocks (if Euclidean distance in the chart represents linguistic distance).

lexical-distance-among-the-languages-of-europe-2-1-mid-size.png

Detail aboult dialects? Example, I am wondering how close standard Italian to Veneto? Sardinian seems far to me
Any data about Turkic lang.-Iranic lang. ? :grin:
There are really interesting information, we can get it as;
800px-M%C3%A5lformer_i_Norge.svg.png

Bokmal Norwegian(Red) is very close to Danish, instead of Nynorks Norwegian (Blue)
*Celtic languages are very far from each other.
*I thought, Danish was close to German as much as Dutch, but, it seems I am wrong. Danish is far as almost English.
*Bulgarian is more close to Russian then Ukranian
The other part is the effect of Languages on Nationalism ???
I didn't know that Serbian and Croatian that much similar.
What do you thing of new nations Montenegrins and Macedonians ?
Balkans-ethnic_(1861).jpg

East-Central-and-Southeast-Europe-Nationality-Map.gif
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-the-Italian-and-Venetian-languages
all italian regional languages which are noted as Vulgar Italian are far older than the Italian language which is not classified as vulgar Italian
words like Pomodoro ( tomato which means apple of gold ) is a venetian word .....as an apple in venetian is a pomo................the italian word for apple is Mela ...but Italians do not use Meladoro as a tomato......so about 50-60% of words in italian are the same in Tuscan and Venetian.
below is what was venetian in the 18th and 19th century
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cla34bTSvIs
subtitles is portueguese

What about Sardinian Language, it seems that it is the farest Italian language.

Examples
Macedonian and Bulgarian
Serbian-Bosnian and Croatian

I have thought Wallons speaks French, but they speaks an other language which is close to French.
Even Montenegrians speak their own language.

But is it Montenegrian Serbian / Coastal Serbian Language or an seperated languages?

How is the distance of English accents?

Americanish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8pNh6LqFh8

What about Sardinian Language, it seems that it is the farest Italian language.

Examples
Macedonian and Bulgarian
Serbian-Bosnian and Croatian

I have thought Wallons speaks French, but they speaks an other language which is close to French.
Even Montenegrians speak their own language.

But is it Montenegrian Serbian / Coastal Serbian Language or an seperated languages?

How is the distance of English accents?

Americanish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8pNh6LqFh8
Sardinian has extremely conservative characteristics that bring it closer to Latin than to modern Italian

Sent from my SM-J730F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Sardinian has extremely conservative characteristics that bring it closer to Latin than to modern Italian

Sent from my SM-J730F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Don't you think like that? Do you think that they are overacting?

Distance between Sardinian and Modern Italian is bigger than any other Italian dialects.

Don't you think like that? Do you think that they are overacting?
Distance between Sardinian and Modern Italian is bigger than any other Italian dialects.
All linguists state that all languages are dialects and all dialects are languages , the only difference is a nation only has a language and the others not, as an example pre 2006 Montenegrin was a dialect after it became a nation it was called a language without any changes .
--if sicily became a nation, then its dialect would be classified as a language............if Crimea became a nation its dialect will be called a language.
a saying is..............the difference between a language and a dialect is the language has an army.
I just see it as linguists do...everybody speaks a dialect

All linguists state that all languages are dialects and all dialects are languages , the only difference is a nation only has a language and the others not, as an example pre 2006 Montenegrin was a dialect after it became a nation it was called a language without any changes .
--if sicily became a nation, then its dialect would be classified as a language............if Crimea became a nation its dialect will be called a language.
a saying is..............the difference between a language and a dialect is the language has an army.

it's already language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Tatar_language

Yes, Crimea Tatars have own languages, and the 2016 winner of Eurovision Ukraine has some Tatar language part. Actually, Turkish translate is totaly same with Tatar version.

But, I also give a right to Sile, politics can change everything.

[FONT=&quot]The term "disproportionate" in the context you are using here implies that you have some idea of how far apart the tribes should be, otherwise you wouldn't know the distance was disproportionate. So please tell us, from your vast knowledge of linguistics and cultural anthropology, what is the proper distance that should separate tribes?[/FONT]

I don't know how Iranian languages would be spread but most Turkic languages are very much similar to each other as they didn't split much until recently (relatively speaking).

The problem is that several of the most relevant present-day Iranian languages (Persian, Tadjik, Dari), since so many others went extinct, are in fact modern dialects derived from Medieval Persian, so they are more directly "Persian languages/dialects" than Iranic ones.

You're mostly right, but linguists do concede that when there are many linguistic variants that are too closely related to have virtually perfect mutual intelligibility, without any strong need to adapt oneself to the other dialect, then they are in fact variants of one and the same language. It's right that everyone speaks a dialect, even if it's the prestigious and standardised one, but not all dialects are recognized as distinct languages by linguists, because they're just too similar and too intelligible for speakers of other dialects. For example, in linguistics it's already universally accepted that Sicilian is a language, not an Italian dialect, but if you talk about the way Sicilians pronounce and make sentences in Standard Italian they'll agree that it's nothing but a dialect of Italian, one among many regional variants that have started diverging too recently and are not distinctive enough yet.

The problem is that several of the most relevant present-day Iranian languages (Persian, Tadjik, Dari), since so many others went extinct, are in fact modern dialects derived from Medieval Persian, so they are more directly "Persian languages/dialects" than Iranic ones.

It doesn't seems like that there are other living Iranian languages which belongs to different branches then Medieval Persian.
https://www.kisspng.com/png-indo-iranian-languages-balochi-language-iranian-pe-1115400/

yes you are right.

Some dialects of British English are a language in & of themselves. You will rarely if not never, after all, hear an American or anyone born outside the UK use the word bairn for child as some regions still do unless their parents/family are from the area.

Persia (Parsi/Parhasi) was just a place name in east of Elam which has been mentioned in the Mesopotamian sources from the third millennium BC, it had nothing to do with the Iranian culture, the fact is that Iranian language was spread through Eurasia by Scythians, it reached Iran in the 7th century BC when Scythian conquered the western part of Iran, as herodotus has also said, first Medians were forced to learn the Scythian language and then Persians were Iranized. The name of this language, as ancient Persian kings have themselves mentioned, was Aryan, not Persian.

This thread has been viewed 10114 times.

Back