Genetics of the Greek Peleponessus

Back to the topic, I would personally attribute the higher "Slavic" admixture to the Vlachs in both Greece and Albania. It's not far fetched to think that Thracians had more NE admixture than Illyrians and Greeks.

A lot of that nonsense was propagated by Arvanites themselves to be fair (see Kollias and his attempt to connect Arvanitika to Homeric Greek, we both posted in a thread where an Albanian user posted that theory in fact) because they wanted a linguistic connection to ancient Greece that just wasn't there.

Y-DNA wise the Aromanians seemed to differ quite a bit from place to place but I've never come across autosomal results, it's a topic I haven't looked into, to see what they look like from place to place so you might be right. Much of the 'Slavic' admixture must be genuinely Slavic though considering the toponymy in both Albania and Greece.

Also we have a 5th century Thracian genome from Bulgaria now (in the Mathieson et al. paper about Southeastern Europe) and she didn't look particularly 'northeastern', she seemed to be very heavily Neolithic in fact (not unlike those Mycenaeans with high Neolithic and low steppe - but with probably no/less extra CHG-Iran stuff in her case), but we'll probably be able to tell better when the genomes are released and we definitely need better temporal and spatial coverage for a clear picture. That Mathieson paper showed individuals from the same location could differ quite a bit in their ancestral proportions after all but perhaps by the 5th century it was already starting to homogenize.

For the time being it does seem like something might have increased the average steppe ancestry and depressed the Neolithic one in the Balkans in post-Classical times (and it might be instructive that Albanians -especially- and Greeks are somewhat more Neolithic and somewhat less steppe than the Slavic-speaking Balkan peoples but like you said, variation might have already existed, and it isn't like Albanians and Greeks must have remained untouched by anything else either) but we'll see.

I don't blame Angela btw, you know what shitshows we can turn those Balkan threads into, we've seen it here too. :)

A lot of that nonsense was propagated by Arvanites themselves to be fair (see Kollias and his attempt to connect Arvanitika to Homeric Greek, we both posted in a thread where an Albanian user posted that theory in fact) because they wanted a linguistic connection to ancient Greece that just wasn't there.
Very true.

Not trying to support all their claims, but aren't there Homeric Greek words similar to Albanian? AFAIK, we share quite a few similarities, which is to be expected.

Y-DNA wise the Aromanians seemed to differ quite a bit from place to place but I've never come across autosomal results, it's a topic I haven't looked into, to see what they look like from place to place so you might be right. Much of the 'Slavic' admixture must be genuinely Slavic though considering the toponymy in both Albania and Greece.
I believe Aromanians seem to be mostly of Eastern Balkan origin and very diverse, considering there are groups with lots of J2a, R1a, and I2a-Din. Bulgaria, Romania, and FYROM seem like ideal candidates for a good part of them. Like I said, that could explain the genetic variation in Thessaly, Greek Macedonia and Thrace, and even Epirus to an extent.

Or it could be simply Thracian input which predates both Vlachs and Slavs.

Honestly, I still don't buy the Slavic admixture explanation yet although seems the easiest one. I try to use several fields in my analysis before I'm fully convinced, and the most "Slavic" admixed area in Albania with a majority of I2a-Din+R1a is surprisingly the shortest and most Mediterranean looking out of all. Similarly, Romanians can appear as almost Russian or Ukrainian but they look very Mediterranean, so I believe that admixture must be ancient. I'm sure there are flaws in my explanations and I'm open to critics to better understand the situation.

Also we have a 5th century Thracian genome from Bulgaria now (in the Mathieson et al. paper about Southeastern Europe) and she didn't look particularly 'northeastern', she seemed to be very heavily Neolithic in fact (not unlike those Mycenaeans with high Neolithic and low steppe - but with probably no/less extra CHG-Iran stuff in her case), but we'll probably be able to tell better when the genomes are released and we definitely need better temporal and spatial coverage for a clear picture. That Mathieson paper showed individuals from the same location could differ quite a bit in their ancestral proportions after all but perhaps by the 5th century it was already starting to homogenize.
Unfortunately we need way more than 1 example. I'd say at least 10 ancient samples per region to do some justice to it.

For the time being it does seem like something might have increased the average steppe ancestry and depressed the Neolithic one in the Balkans in post-Classical times (and it might be instructive that Albanians -especially- and Greeks are somewhat more Neolithic and somewhat less steppe than the Slavic-speaking Balkan peoples but like you said, variation might have already existed, and it isn't like Albanians and Greeks must have remained untouched by anything else either) but we'll see.
Completely agreed. I'm still somehow impressed by the results of Gheg Albanians and some mountainous Tosk areas, which make me take everything with a grain of salt.

There's more to haplgroups and admixture than simple conclusions such as Mycenaean, Dorian, Illyrian, Celtic, Slavic, etc. migrations into Greece. The only thing that it's for sure is the North to South constant migrations which have definitely changed some proportions in Peloponnesus, which in my opinion is more Central-West Balkan while Macedonia and Thrace more East Balkan.

I don't blame Angela btw, you know what shitshows we can turn those Balkan threads into, we've seen it here too. :)
I believe threats are to be used once you see members resorting to insults and that wasn't the case. I've already mistakenly received an infraction for smth I didn't say from her and nobody bothered to read twice my post and remove it. Basically nobody gives a crap anymore, which is a shame.

Modern Greeks on the mainland are still over 70% similar to the ancient Mycenaeans. That is more than the Albanians by any measure that could be used.

Hey, sorry to join in but i havent seen the paper where this comparison is clearly stated, i would be grateful for a link. If the mainland greek percentage was 70% then what was thr albanian percentage which is less by "any measure".

This is from the latest minoan and mycanean paper:

"We estimated the fixation index (FST), of Bronze Age populations with present-day West Eurasians, finding that Mycenaeans were least differentiated from populations from Greece, Cyprus, Albania, and Italy (Fig. 2), part of a general pattern in which Bronze Age populations broadly resembled present-day inhabitants from the same region (Extended Data Fig. 7).
---------
The Minoans and Mycenaeans, sampled from different sites in Crete and mainland Greece, were homogeneous, supporting the genetic coherency of these two groups. "

A good part of the real story is found in the recent paper by the Reich group at Harvard based on ancient dna. Whatever wars and migrations have occurred, modern Greeks on the mainland are still over 70% similar to the ancient Mycenaeans. That is more than the Albanians by any measure that could be used.
This is not the same study (is it?) however look at it:
Albanian
"Mycenaean" 59.45
"Yamnaya_Samara:I0370" 23.1
"Bell_Beaker_Germany:I0111" 5.3
"Jordan_EBA:I1730" 4.7
"Armenia_Chalcolithic:I1409" 2.95
"Iberia_Chalcolithic:I0581" 2.95

Greek
Mycenaean:I9041 39.55
Mycenaean:I9006 18.95
Mycenaean:I9010 14.50
Sintashta:RISE395 11.35
Corded_Ware_Germany:I0104 8.45
Polish 3.65
Corded_Ware_Germany:I1538 1.85
Belarusian 1.65
Yamnaya_Samara:I0443 0.05

Italian_South
"Mycenaean" 36.9
"Jordan_EBA:I1730" 20.85
"Yamnaya_Samara:I0370" 17.8
"Bell_Beaker_Germany:I0111" 8.7
"Armenia_Chalcolithic:I1409" 6.45
"Mozabite" 2.75
"Iran_Chalcolithic:I1665" 2.35

Btw, Angela I don't really care about Mycenaean civilization (since you were assuming I am being jealous) as for the second
millennium before Christ I tend to find Ancient Egyptians more interesting (Classical Hellenes are an other story). However I was just making a point.

As for all this. I am pretty sure that Greeks are not descendants of Belorussians. Because Greeks are overwhelmingly Brunettes, and sometimes olive skinned, while Belorussians are majority blonde or light haired. There was no need for this study. ^.^

Albanian
"Mycenaean" 59.45

Greek
Polish 3.65
Belarusian 1.65

Italian_South
"Mycenaean" 36.9
"Mozabite" 2.75

Btw, Angela I don't really care about Mycenaean civilization (since you were assuming I am being jealous) as for the second
millennium before Christ I tend to find Ancient Egyptians more interesting (Classical Hellenes are an other story). However I was just making a point.

As for all this. I am pretty sure that Greeks are not descendants of Belorussians. Because Greeks are overwhelmingly Brunettes, and sometimes olive skinned, while Belorussians are majority blonde or light haired. There was no need for this study. ^.^

and from where you get that study?
cause it seems silly to me

I copied it from an other member, search some pages before in this theard.

Here is an other one: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...Greek-Peleponessus/page22?p=518015#post518015

^^ This one by George Stamatoyannopoulos.

I really doupt,

Stamatoyiannopoulos is working with Lazarides,

and is one of the main searchers of the late Lazarides papper,

Stamatoyiannopoulos would knew the Mycenean-Minoan and Armenian highlands connection,

Except if Albanians now stop to claim that they are Dorians Illyrians, Etruscans and decide that are Myceneans

That's 4 years old, received 5 years ago.

This is a much more recent and more rigorous study, by many of the same authors; specifically about their origins. Take a look at the PCA charts.

hTh2SJj.png

You mean this post? Because the same person in 2017 supports the fact that Minoans and Mycenaean cluster near Sicilians.

correct

214 | NATURE | VOL 548 | 10 AUGUST 2017

LETTER
doi:10.1038/nature23310
Genetic origins of the Minoans and Mycenaeans
Iosif Lazaridis
*, Alissa Mittnik
*, Nick Patterson
, Swapan Mallick
, Nadin Rohland
, Saskia Pfrengle
Anja Furtwängler
, Alexander Peltzer
, Cosimo Posth
, Andonis Vasilakis
, P. J. P. McGeorge
, Eleni Konsolaki-Yannopoulou
George Korres
, Holley Martlew
, Manolis Michalodimitrakis
, Mehmet Özsait
, Nesrin Özsait
, Anastasia Papathanasiou
Michael Richards
, Songül Alpaslan Roodenberg
, Yannis Tzedakis
, Robert Arnott
, Daniel M. Fernandes
Jeffery R. Hughey
, Dimitra M. Lotakis
, Patrick A. Navas
, Yannis Maniatis
, John A. Stamatoyannopoulos
Kristin Stewardson
, Philipp Stockhammer
, Ron Pinhasi
, David Reich
, Johannes Krause
&
George Stamatoyannopoulos

there are 2 Σταματογιαννοπουλος

Albanian
"Mycenaean" 59.45

Greek
Polish 3.65
Belarusian 1.65

Italian_South
"Mycenaean" 36.9
"Mozabite" 2.75

So surely it is not Stamatoyiannopoulos,

so try to find to who post it,.
and what means with Mycenean mark ?
which is his Mycenean mark?

Wait, where are we going with this thread?

Wait, where are we going with this thread?

we are gonig that some people in Forum spread false and Facultated DATA
that surely serve an AGENDA

That was just an experiment Tomenable ran and it isn't to be taken literally, especially since none of those sources are proximal. Mycenaean means Mycenaean-like and it's natural that Albanians and Tuscans are going to get similar %s to mainland Greeks since the differences between the three in ancestral components are overall subtle and those Mycenaeans were overall closest to Southeastern Europeans (Albanians, Greeks and Central-South Italians). We just don't have anything similar for Albanians (maybe the Vucedol samples when they're out but they were still all the way in Croatia) or Tuscans yet. ******* hell.

PS: Not that it matters anyway due to the limitation of our current sources that also limit the test but, ihype02, what is 39.55 + 18.95 + 14.50? And try to find out the difference between mtDNA and autosomal DNA, please, before being so authoritative.

That was just an experiment Tomenable ran and it isn't to be taken literally, especially since none of those sources are proximal. Mycenaean means Mycenaean-like and it's natural that Albanians and Tuscans are going to get similar %s to mainland Greeks since the differences between the three in ancestral components are overall subtle. We just don't have anything similar for Albanians (maybe the Vucedol samples when they're out but they were still all the way in Croatia) or Tuscans yet. ******* hell.

Who are you replying to, it's unclear.

Please use the reply with quote, guys.

I was surprised to see Mani people separated from Tsakonia people in this study. I assumed that they would be closer together, representing more of an older population that was not as influenced by medieval invaders. But then again, how close were the ancient Spartans to the Messenians/Helots, their neighbors?

This study appears to capture what the linguistic maps show, particularly the one from 1890 that shows most of the Peloponnese was Greek-speaking. If the Peloponnese was overwhelmingly non-Greek, like some say, what would have caused such large numbers of people to adopt the language and culture of people who mostly disappeared?

This thread has been viewed 369984 times.

Back