Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Results 876 to 892 of 892

Thread: Genetics of the Greek Peleponessus

  1. #876
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-05-21
    Posts
    13


    Country: Germany



    Im from Turkey and i think i have any "Greek" Ancestry

  2. #877
    Regular Member cybernautic's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-03-18
    Posts
    78


    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur 2 View Post
    the origin of the urnfield is not northern europe, the carpathian basin is more likely
    I talked about Northern Italy not Northern Europe

  3. #878
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-06-21
    Posts
    2


    Country: Yugoslavia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    We can now see pretty clearly the extent of Albanian influence on the Peloponnese. Arvanites are getting 3rd cousins in Vlore, majority of modern Peloponnesians are not. Even my family is from a town with a (supposedly) Arvanitic name in the center of Morea. No matches with Albania, but plenty with Sicily and Calabria. I don't want to downplay Albanian role in the modern history of Peloponnese. But it looks to me it's somewhat settled that their influence far outweighed their numbers.

  4. #879
    Regular Member blevins13's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-10-16
    Location
    Tirana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    876

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotokopoulos View Post
    We can now see pretty clearly the extent of Albanian influence on the Peloponnese. Arvanites are getting 3rd cousins in Vlore, majority of modern Peloponnesians are not. Even my family is from a town with a (supposedly) Arvanitic name in the center of Morea. No matches with Albania, but plenty with Sicily and Calabria. I don't want to downplay Albanian role in the modern history of Peloponnese. But it looks to me it's somewhat settled that their influence far outweighed their numbers.
    I don’t know what you see in your end, but on my side Peloponnesus comes closest than Laberia.


    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

  5. #880
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,533

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    According to the Updated version of the Dodecad K12b modern coordinates, Peloponnese are to the direct "East" of me. At a 7-plus distance:

    Distance to: Jovialis
    7.06623662 Greek_Peloponnese


  6. #881
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,533

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States





    I seem to plot roughly between Mycenaean Peloponnese and Modern Peloponnese, which is a coincidence. Nevertheless, I am certain that I have some Greek ancestry, given the history of my region of Italy.

    Which is confirmed by DNA testing:


  7. #882
    Regular Member torzio's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,980

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a

    Ethnic group
    North Italian
    Country: Australia



    i plot the same as myheritage and similar numbers




    and my #1 in MTA is I7043 ............hungarian burial ...most probably migrated from west to east in europe




    Copper Age Szigetszentmiklos Hungary 2350 BC

    I7043



    mtDNA: H1b1Y-DNA: R1b1a1b1a1a4 (FGC37097)
    Shared DNA: (Sample Quality: 41)
    6 SNP chains (min. 60 SNPs) / 29.94 cM
    Largest chain: 357 SNPs / 8.19 cM
    Fathers mtdna ... T2b17
    Grandfather mtdna ... T1a1e
    Sons mtdna ... K1a4p
    Mum paternal line ... R1b-S8172
    Grandmum paternal side ... I1-CTS6397
    Wife paternal line ... R1a-Z282

  8. #883
    Regular Member blevins13's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-10-16
    Location
    Tirana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    876

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post


    I seem to plot roughly between Mycenaean Peloponnese and Modern Peloponnese, which is a coincidence. Nevertheless, I am certain that I have some Greek ancestry, given the history of my region of Italy.

    Which is confirmed by DNA testing:

    Can you hep me, I cannot post any photo?


    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

  9. #884
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,533

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    ^^You need to use a website like imgur, to upload the photo, and embed the bbcode in a post.

  10. #885
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    1,291

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    I am wondering how much seafaring happened in the Bronze Age or even earlier the Neolithic. What types of boats or rafts? Any archaeological finds to document seafaring among southern Greece and Southern Italy?

  11. #886
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    5,533

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I am wondering how much seafaring happened in the Bronze Age or even earlier the Neolithic. What types of boats or rafts? Any archaeological finds to document seafaring among southern Greece and Southern Italy?
    The was certainly some seafaring going on.

    Scientists even speculate that the Neanderthals used boats:

    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...-mediterranean

  12. #887
    Regular Member matadworf's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-08-17
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    127


    Ethnic group
    Greek Messinia
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Theotokopoulos View Post
    We can now see pretty clearly the extent of Albanian influence on the Peloponnese. Arvanites are getting 3rd cousins in Vlore, majority of modern Peloponnesians are not. Even my family is from a town with a (supposedly) Arvanitic name in the center of Morea. No matches with Albania, but plenty with Sicily and Calabria. I don't want to downplay Albanian role in the modern history of Peloponnese. But it looks to me it's somewhat settled that their influence far outweighed their numbers.
    My maternal grandfather came from a village in Messinia (Aetos, Tryfilia) and I'm getting (I believe) Albanian matches through him.

  13. #888
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    26-09-18
    Posts
    101


    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by matadworf View Post
    My maternal grandfather came from a village in Messinia (Aetos, Tryfilia) and I'm getting (I believe) Albanian matches through him.
    How many Albanian matches do you have?

  14. #889
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    1,291

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    How many people are getting tested in each of the Balkan countries? If the Albanians are getting tested more than the other countries you will probably get a lot matches compared to the North Macedonians and the Bulgarians.

  15. #890
    Regular Member Ralphie Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-10-16
    Posts
    153

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a-Y18331-Y66192

    Country: United States



    Having grown up in the Greek community, it was very exclusive. We only associated with other Greeks (no offense, it was something like the big, fat Greek wedding movie). We come from villages in the Peloponnese that had Turkish or Slavic/Greek names. In those villages, the people spoke Greek going back to at least the late 1700’s, early 1800’s, from the few family lines I can trace and some village historians. Before that, there could have been Arvanites coming to live in those villages, converting to Greek and intermarrying.

    There must have been significant gene introgression into the Greek community, for us to have a lot of Arvanite ancestry. In my case, the question is when did it happen.

  16. #891
    Regular Member blevins13's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-10-16
    Location
    Tirana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    876

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    Having grown up in the Greek community, it was very exclusive. We only associated with other Greeks (no offense, it was something like the big, fat Greek wedding movie). We come from villages in the Peloponnese that had Turkish or Slavic/Greek names. In those villages, the people spoke Greek going back to at least the late 1700’s, early 1800’s, from the few family lines I can trace and some village historians. Before that, there could have been Arvanites coming to live in those villages, converting to Greek and intermarrying.

    There must have been significant gene introgression into the Greek community, for us to have a lot of Arvanite ancestry. In my case, the question is when did it happen.
    This is not a difficult question to answer considering big-y and TMRCA of the male lines in Peloponnesus compared with the Albanian y dna lines.


    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

  17. #892
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-06-21
    Posts
    2


    Country: Yugoslavia



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by blevins13 View Post
    I don’t know what you see in your end, but on my side Peloponnesus comes closest than Laberia.

    Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday.

    There are of course people in Peloponnesus who share with Labs in the past 400 years. Some sample pots are going to reflect this obvious fact. I just think the hypothesis sometimes put forward on these forums (essentially all or most Peloponnesians are descended in part from Albanians) is a lot more complicated. I feel this way as someone who used to be a proponent of the above to some extent. My anecodtal evidence is that people who have grandparents who spoke Arvantika share ancestors with South Albanians in the early modern period. Those whose grandparents were monolingual do not. There are bound to be exceptions. I do not know the exact reason why. It's clear that at one point there were many many Albanians in Morea. Perhaps the majority migrated to Italy. Perhaps they were already a mixed lot once they arrived there. Some ydna studies on the E1b in Morea would be helpful in this regard.

    I do know that the Kolokotronis DNA project found his descendents to be I1, possibly a Norman clade brought to Greece by Albanians.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •