Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Genetics of the Greek Peleponessus

Im from Turkey and i think i have any "Greek" Ancestry

Ethnic group
    Greek

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur 2 View Post
    the origin of the urnfield is not northern europe, the carpathian basin is more likely
    I talked about Northern Italy not Northern Europe

1 members found this post helpful.
    We can now see pretty clearly the extent of Albanian influence on the Peloponnese. Arvanites are getting 3rd cousins in Vlore, majority of modern Peloponnesians are not. Even my family is from a town with a (supposedly) Arvanitic name in the center of Morea. No matches with Albania, but plenty with Sicily and Calabria. I don't want to downplay Albanian role in the modern history of Peloponnese. But it looks to me it's somewhat settled that their influence far outweighed their numbers.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Quote Originally Posted by Theotokopoulos View Post
    We can now see pretty clearly the extent of Albanian influence on the Peloponnese. Arvanites are getting 3rd cousins in Vlore, majority of modern Peloponnesians are not. Even my family is from a town with a (supposedly) Arvanitic name in the center of Morea. No matches with Albania, but plenty with Sicily and Calabria. I don't want to downplay Albanian role in the modern history of Peloponnese. But it looks to me it's somewhat settled that their influence far outweighed their numbers.
    I don’t know what you see in your end, but on my side Peloponnesus comes closest than Laberia.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

According to the Updated version of the Dodecad K12b modern coordinates, Peloponnese are to the direct "East" of me. At a 7-plus distance:

Distance to: Jovialis
    7.06623662 Greek_Peloponnese

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

I seem to plot roughly between Mycenaean Peloponnese and Modern Peloponnese, which is a coincidence. Nevertheless, I am certain that I have some Greek ancestry, given the history of my region of Italy.

Which is confirmed by DNA testing:

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a

Ethnic group
    North Italian

i plot the same as myheritage and similar numbers

and my #1 in MTA is I7043 ............hungarian burial ...most probably migrated from west to east in europe

Copper Age Szigetszentmiklos Hungary 2350 BC

I7043

mtDNA: H1b1Y-DNA: R1b1a1b1a1a4 (FGC37097)
    Shared DNA: (Sample Quality: 41)
    6 SNP chains (min. 60 SNPs) / 29.94 cM
    Largest chain: 357 SNPs / 8.19 cM
    Fathers mtdna ... T2b17
    Grandfather mtdna ... T1a1e
    Sons mtdna ... K1a4p
    Mum paternal line ... R1b-S8172
    Grandmum paternal side ... I1-CTS6397
    Wife paternal line ... R1a-Z282

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post

I seem to plot roughly between Mycenaean Peloponnese and Modern Peloponnese, which is a coincidence. Nevertheless, I am certain that I have some Greek ancestry, given the history of my region of Italy.

Which is confirmed by DNA testing:

Can you hep me, I cannot post any photo?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

^^You need to use a website like imgur, to upload the photo, and embed the bbcode in a post.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

I am wondering how much seafaring happened in the Bronze Age or even earlier the Neolithic. What types of boats or rafts? Any archaeological finds to document seafaring among southern Greece and Southern Italy?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I am wondering how much seafaring happened in the Bronze Age or even earlier the Neolithic. What types of boats or rafts? Any archaeological finds to document seafaring among southern Greece and Southern Italy?
    The was certainly some seafaring going on.

Scientists even speculate that the Neanderthals used boats:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...-mediterranean

Ethnic group
    Greek Messinia

Quote Originally Posted by Theotokopoulos View Post
    My maternal grandfather came from a village in Messinia (Aetos, Tryfilia) and I'm getting (I believe) Albanian matches through him.

Quote Originally Posted by matadworf View Post
    My maternal grandfather came from a village in Messinia (Aetos, Tryfilia) and I'm getting (I believe) Albanian matches through him.
    How many Albanian matches do you have?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

How many people are getting tested in each of the Balkan countries? If the Albanians are getting tested more than the other countries you will probably get a lot matches compared to the North Macedonians and the Bulgarians.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a-Y18331-Y66192

Having grown up in the Greek community, it was very exclusive. We only associated with other Greeks (no offense, it was something like the big, fat Greek wedding movie). We come from villages in the Peloponnese that had Turkish or Slavic/Greek names. In those villages, the people spoke Greek going back to at least the late 1700’s, early 1800’s, from the few family lines I can trace and some village historians. Before that, there could have been Arvanites coming to live in those villages, converting to Greek and intermarrying.

There must have been significant gene introgression into the Greek community, for us to have a lot of Arvanite ancestry. In my case, the question is when did it happen.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    Having grown up in the Greek community, it was very exclusive. We only associated with other Greeks (no offense, it was something like the big, fat Greek wedding movie). We come from villages in the Peloponnese that had Turkish or Slavic/Greek names. In those villages, the people spoke Greek going back to at least the late 1700’s, early 1800’s, from the few family lines I can trace and some village historians. Before that, there could have been Arvanites coming to live in those villages, converting to Greek and intermarrying.

There must have been significant gene introgression into the Greek community, for us to have a lot of Arvanite ancestry. In my case, the question is when did it happen.
    This is not a difficult question to answer considering big-y and TMRCA of the male lines in Peloponnesus compared with the Albanian y dna lines.

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by blevins13 View Post
    I don’t know what you see in your end, but on my side Peloponnesus comes closest than Laberia.

Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday.

There are of course people in Peloponnesus who share with Labs in the past 400 years. Some sample pots are going to reflect this obvious fact. I just think the hypothesis sometimes put forward on these forums (essentially all or most Peloponnesians are descended in part from Albanians) is a lot more complicated. I feel this way as someone who used to be a proponent of the above to some extent. My anecodtal evidence is that people who have grandparents who spoke Arvantika share ancestors with South Albanians in the early modern period. Those whose grandparents were monolingual do not. There are bound to be exceptions. I do not know the exact reason why. It's clear that at one point there were many many Albanians in Morea. Perhaps the majority migrated to Italy. Perhaps they were already a mixed lot once they arrived there. Some ydna studies on the E1b in Morea would be helpful in this regard.

I do know that the Kolokotronis DNA project found his descendents to be I1, possibly a Norman clade brought to Greece by Albanians.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536