Genetics of the Greek Peleponessus

xlXfBRr.png

I seem to plot roughly between Mycenaean Peloponnese and Modern Peloponnese, which is a coincidence. Nevertheless, I am certain that I have some Greek ancestry, given the history of my region of Italy.

Which is confirmed by DNA testing:

3tuzSQ7l.png

i plot the same as myheritage and similar numbers

and my #1 in MTA is I7043 ............hungarian burial ...most probably migrated from west to east in europe

[h=4]Copper Age Szigetszentmiklos Hungary 2350 BC[/h]
[h=4] I7043
[/h]

mtDNA: H1b1Y-DNA: R1b1a1b1a1a4 (FGC37097)
Shared DNA: (Sample Quality: 41)
6 SNP chains (min. 60 SNPs) / 29.94 cM
Largest chain: 357 SNPs / 8.19 cM

xlXfBRr.png

I seem to plot roughly between Mycenaean Peloponnese and Modern Peloponnese, which is a coincidence. Nevertheless, I am certain that I have some Greek ancestry, given the history of my region of Italy.

Which is confirmed by DNA testing:

3tuzSQ7l.png

Can you hep me, I cannot post any photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

I am wondering how much seafaring happened in the Bronze Age or even earlier the Neolithic. What types of boats or rafts? Any archaeological finds to document seafaring among southern Greece and Southern Italy?

We can now see pretty clearly the extent of Albanian influence on the Peloponnese. Arvanites are getting 3rd cousins in Vlore, majority of modern Peloponnesians are not. Even my family is from a town with a (supposedly) Arvanitic name in the center of Morea. No matches with Albania, but plenty with Sicily and Calabria. I don't want to downplay Albanian role in the modern history of Peloponnese. But it looks to me it's somewhat settled that their influence far outweighed their numbers.

My maternal grandfather came from a village in Messinia (Aetos, Tryfilia) and I'm getting (I believe) Albanian matches through him.

How many people are getting tested in each of the Balkan countries? If the Albanians are getting tested more than the other countries you will probably get a lot matches compared to the North Macedonians and the Bulgarians.

Having grown up in the Greek community, it was very exclusive. We only associated with other Greeks (no offense, it was something like the big, fat Greek wedding movie). We come from villages in the Peloponnese that had Turkish or Slavic/Greek names. In those villages, the people spoke Greek going back to at least the late 1700’s, early 1800’s, from the few family lines I can trace and some village historians. Before that, there could have been Arvanites coming to live in those villages, converting to Greek and intermarrying.

There must have been significant gene introgression into the Greek community, for us to have a lot of Arvanite ancestry. In my case, the question is when did it happen.

Having grown up in the Greek community, it was very exclusive. We only associated with other Greeks (no offense, it was something like the big, fat Greek wedding movie). We come from villages in the Peloponnese that had Turkish or Slavic/Greek names. In those villages, the people spoke Greek going back to at least the late 1700’s, early 1800’s, from the few family lines I can trace and some village historians. Before that, there could have been Arvanites coming to live in those villages, converting to Greek and intermarrying.

There must have been significant gene introgression into the Greek community, for us to have a lot of Arvanite ancestry. In my case, the question is when did it happen.

This is not a difficult question to answer considering big-y and TMRCA of the male lines in Peloponnesus compared with the Albanian y dna lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

I don’t know what you see in your end, but on my side Peloponnesus comes closest than Laberia.

Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday.

There are of course people in Peloponnesus who share with Labs in the past 400 years. Some sample pots are going to reflect this obvious fact. I just think the hypothesis sometimes put forward on these forums (essentially all or most Peloponnesians are descended in part from Albanians) is a lot more complicated. I feel this way as someone who used to be a proponent of the above to some extent. My anecodtal evidence is that people who have grandparents who spoke Arvantika share ancestors with South Albanians in the early modern period. Those whose grandparents were monolingual do not. There are bound to be exceptions. I do not know the exact reason why. It's clear that at one point there were many many Albanians in Morea. Perhaps the majority migrated to Italy. Perhaps they were already a mixed lot once they arrived there. Some ydna studies on the E1b in Morea would be helpful in this regard.

I do know that the Kolokotronis DNA project found his descendents to be I1, possibly a Norman clade brought to Greece by Albanians.

I?m a North Albanian from the region bordering Montenegro and I get Peloponnese as a top match. The connection between Peloponnese and Albanians is not a coincidence and it is not solely related to the Arvanites, but also previous internal Balkan migrations in earlier times, resulting in the accumulation of a a high percentage of Albanian/Arvanite amd ?Albanian-like? admixture.

Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday.

There are of course people in Peloponnesus who share with Labs in the past 400 years. Some sample pots are going to reflect this obvious fact. I just think the hypothesis sometimes put forward on these forums (essentially all or most Peloponnesians are descended in part from Albanians) is a lot more complicated. I feel this way as someone who used to be a proponent of the above to some extent. My anecodtal evidence is that people who have grandparents who spoke Arvantika share ancestors with South Albanians in the early modern period. Those whose grandparents were monolingual do not. There are bound to be exceptions. I do not know the exact reason why. It's clear that at one point there were many many Albanians in Morea. Perhaps the majority migrated to Italy. Perhaps they were already a mixed lot once they arrived there. Some ydna studies on the E1b in Morea would be helpful in this regard.

I do know that the Kolokotronis DNA project found his descendents to be I1, possibly a Norman clade brought to Greece by Albanians.

Kolokotronis DNA project? Link?

I�m a North Albanian from the region bordering Montenegro and I get Peloponnese as a top match. The connection between Peloponnese and Albanians is not a coincidence and it is not solely related to the Arvanites, but also previous internal Balkan migrations in earlier times, resulting in the accumulation of a a high percentage of Albanian/Arvanite amd �Albanian-like� admixture.

A lot of guessing and speculating on your part when the Arvanite/Albanian migration has been well documented and was quite large especially in the Peloponnese. Now if we found that Albanians and Cretans/Thracian Greeks/Macedonian Greeks then I think you would possibly have a point. But the fact is as I said the Arvanite migrations were quite large and are well documented and are thus the only reason to explain these genetic similarities.

I think you might just be underestimating the scale of the migration. Keep in mind that there were Islands close to Peloponnesus which became entirely inhabited by Arvanites/Albanians.

As I posted on Anthrogenica earlier today I discovered (just yesterday) that my maternal grandfather was an Arvanite. I had suspected this for the past few years. My suspicion was linked partly to a strong Albanian shift on G 25 but was confirmed when I posted my grandfather’s oral history (transcribed by my mom in 1959) on the FB Greek Ancestry/History site. The oral history traces his paternal line to an Arvanite village called Merze near Megalopolis Arcadia. Other posters confirmed both his birth village, Aetos Messinia and ancestral village as being Arvanite. It’s really no surprise to me but was never mentioned or even known by my mom. My cousin who visited Greece with my Grandfather in the 60s mentioned an Albanian connection but it wasn’t further explored until now.

As I posted on Anthrogenica earlier today I discovered (just yesterday) that my maternal grandfather was an Arvanite. I had suspected this for the past few years. My suspicion was linked partly to a strong Albanian shift on G 25 but was confirmed when I posted my grandfather’s oral history (transcribed by my mom in 1959) on the FB Greek Ancestry/History site. The oral history traces his paternal line to an Arvanite village called Merze near Megalopolis Arcadia. Other posters confirmed both his birth village, Aetos Messinia and ancestral village as being Arvanite. It’s really no surprise to me but was never mentioned or even known by my mom. My cousin who visited Greece with my Grandfather in the 60s mentioned an Albanian connection but it wasn’t further explored until now.

Would be great to have that side tested somehow.

Would be great to have that side tested somehow.

I know. Only one (male) first cousin who carries the male haplogroup from that Arvanite line. I'm trying to reach and have him tested.

A lot of guessing and speculating on your part when the Arvanite/Albanian migration has been well documented and was quite large especially in the Peloponnese. Now if we found that Albanians and Cretans/Thracian Greeks/Macedonian Greeks then I think you would possibly have a point. But the fact is as I said the Arvanite migrations were quite large and are well documented and are thus the only reason to explain these genetic similarities.

I think you might just be underestimating the scale of the migration. Keep in mind that there were Islands close to Peloponnesus which became entirely inhabited by Arvanites/Albanians.

I?ll break it down for you: old neighbouring populations for thousands of years = genetically connected (fact) through intermarriages, internal migrations, and common shared ancestry (early farmers, indo-europeans, local Sardinian-like ancestry) -> New immigrants (Slavs) arrive = old populations are pushed South to the extreme bottom of the peninsula (Peloponnese) -> mountainous areas less affected by the Slavic influx remain genetically closer, whereas areas like Greek Macedonia and Thrace are shifted towards Bulgaria (locals + North-Eastern Europeans/Slavs + other populations like Anatolians or Armenians from Byzantine times).

The only thing I didn?t do is underestimate the Albanian scale of migration. Instead, it was you who underestimates the degree to which areas of Illyricum, Epirus, Macedonia, Thessaly, Aetolia, Paeonia, etc. were related, as shown by the affinity that 1 Bronze Age Macedonian sample had with modern Albanians, or even the Iron Age Thracian.

Thus, shared IBD and similar genetic makeup lead to Albanians and Peloponnesians being quite close.

On the other hand, if the Albanian migration scale was as extremely high as you suggest, Albanians and Peloponnesians would almost overlap, but we don?t.

I�ll break it down for you: old neighbouring populations for thousands of years = genetically connected (fact) through intermarriages, internal migrations, and common shared ancestry (early farmers, indo-europeans, local Sardinian-like ancestry) -> New immigrants (Slavs) arrive = old populations are pushed South to the extreme bottom of the peninsula (Peloponnese) -> mountainous areas less affected by the Slavic influx remain genetically closer, whereas areas like Greek Macedonia and Thrace are shifted towards Bulgaria (locals + North-Eastern Europeans/Slavs + other populations like Anatolians or Armenians from Byzantine times).

The only thing I didn�t do is underestimate the Albanian scale of migration. Instead, it was you who underestimates the degree to which areas of Illyricum, Epirus, Macedonia, Thessaly, Aetolia, Paeonia, etc. were related, as shown by the affinity that 1 Bronze Age Macedonian sample had with modern Albanians, or even the Iron Age Thracian.

Thus, shared IBD and similar genetic makeup lead to Albanians and Peloponnesians being quite close.

On the other hand, if the Albanian migration scale was as extremely high as you suggest, Albanians and Peloponnesians would almost overlap, but we don�t.

One also has to account for
-The internal migrations during the centuries before the completion of the Ottoman conquest of Peloponnese and after it.
-The external migrations to places like South Italy.
-The conversion to Islam of at least a part of the population, with the exception of any possible back conversions to Christianity during or after the Greek revolution and the establishment of the first Greek state the rest being counted as "Turk-Albanians" would had normally been "taken out" of the local -Christian- gene pool.
-The migration of Epirotes and Vlachs to various parts of Peloponnese, these populations would have brought additional West Balkan/Albanian-like "signatures" / shared IBD ?

This thread has been viewed 368759 times.

Back