Highest "Baltic" scores in Eurogenes K13 / K15

Belarusian, Minsk area
K13: 51.18
K15: 33.24

I think Baltic in K15 is something like "extra EHG-like" admixture. It is not very high in Yamna kits, who have much more of North Sea and Eastern Euro. It peaks in places where Latvian HGs lived in neolithic Baltic area and probably substantially influenced living Balts and Slavs. This is could also be the reason for higher levels of ANE in Balts. Look:

Udwmn.jpg

it's funny, milda muciek shows up as a cousin of mine, with the connection being 5 generations back.

I think Baltic in K15 is something like "extra EHG-like" admixture. It is not very high in Yamna kits, who have much more of North Sea and Eastern Euro. It peaks in places where Latvian HGs lived in neolithic Baltic area and probably substantially influenced living Balts and Slavs. This is could also be the reason for higher levels of ANE in Balts. Look:

According to the results of mine and M434508 and A146377 from the above posts there is no direct conformity. All of us have for about 50% or a bit less of WHG and 20-25% of EHG by MDLP K11. So in total it's more than "Baltic" in Eurogenes K13 and at the same time "Baltic" is not only WHG or EHG separately. So I guess "Baltic" is something like WHG + EHG mix and some part of WHG is also presented in "North_Atlantic".

According to the results of mine and M434508 and A146377 from the above posts there is no direct conformity. All of us have for about 50% or a bit less of WHG and 20-25% of EHG by MDLP K11. So in total it's more than "Baltic" in Eurogenes K13 and at the same time "Baltic" is not only WHG or EHG separately. So I guess "Baltic" is something like WHG + EHG mix and some part of WHG is also presented in "North_Atlantic".

I don't think that K15 Baltic=EHG, but I think the Baltic area is most EHG admixed area from Europe and has a specific "Baltic" component for this reason. Or is there another explanation for existence of this specificity? Let's dicuss.

Or is there another explanation for existence of this specificity? Let's dicuss.

It could be also ethnic-specific genetic drift that accumulated over time, due to reproductive isolation etc. And than such a drifted population rapidly expanded (for example Slavic expansions from a small "Urheimat").

It could be also ethnic-specific genetic drift that accumulated over time, due to reproductive isolation etc. And than such a drifted population rapidly expanded (for example Slavic expansions from a small "Urheimat").
Ok, I don't say no, but it doesn't explain the excess of ANE admixture and shift towards EHG or Latvian_MN in modern Balts. I think this specific admixture is the reason. They clearly deviate from other Northern Europeans to something ANE and WHG rich on PCA.
Euro.PNG

Interesting, they also deviate quite much from Europe_LNBA in Lazaridis 2016 if you compare modern and ancient PCA. In this case towards something between EHG and SHG.
6F9849Ig.png

2fdrZf8.png

I don't think that K15 Baltic=EHG, but I think the Baltic area is most EHG admixed area from Europe and has a specific "Baltic" component for this reason. Or is there another explanation for existence of this specificity? Let's dicuss.

I don't think that there is an exact border between WHG and EHG. It is mostly an artificial division based on a few aDNA samples and the reality looks like a gradient. By the way, the "pure" WHGs: F999915 (La Braña-Arintero, Mesolithic Spain, 5960-5750 BC) has 48.33 of "Baltic" in Eurogenes K13 and F999918 (Loschbour, Luxembourg, 6210-5990 BC) has 51.09. So MDLP K11 is the best tool for now to see WHG/EHG proportion and "Baltic" in Eurogenes K13 obviously doesn't fit that need.

I don't think that there is an exact border between WHG and EHG. It is mostly an artificial division based on a few aDNA samples and the reality looks like a gradient. By the way, the "pure" WHGs: F999915 (La Braña-Arintero, Mesolithic Spain, 5960-5750 BC) has 48.33 of "Baltic" in Eurogenes K13 and F999918 (Loschbour, Luxembourg, 6210-5990 BC) has 51.09. So MDLP K11 is the best tool for now to see WHG/EHG proportion and "Baltic" in Eurogenes K13 obviously doesn't fit that need.

I am not talking about K13 Baltic, this is obviously a different component. I am talking about K15 Baltic. And I repeat I don't think it is only a measurement of EHG admixture. Only thing I want to suggest for discussion is that I think this component is rich in ANE-WHG continuum, because Baltic populations are special in their deviation from Europe_LNBA or Steppe_MLBA to EHG or Latvia_MN or something like that. WHGs can have this "Baltic", because they were also ancestral to this component. You are right with the artificial division in mesolithic HGs.
So what I want to say is: if you have higher K15 Baltic, you are in my opinion more "EHG-like" admixed. You have more EHG than came from Yamna through Corded Ware.
:)

I am not talking about K13 Baltic, this is obviously a different component. I am talking about K15 Baltic. And I repeat I don't think it is only a measurement of EHG admixture. Only thing I want to suggest for discussion is that I think this component is rich in ANE-WHG continuum, because Baltic populations are special in their deviation from Europe_LNBA or Steppe_MLBA to EHG or Latvia_MN or something like that. WHGs can have this "Baltic", because they were also ancestral to this component. You are right with the artificial division in mesolithic HGs.
So what I want to say is: if you have higher K15 Baltic, you are in my opinion more "EHG-like" admixed. You have more EHG than came from Yamna through Corded Ware.
:)

I don't know :) I live in 100km from the Lithuanian border and have the same percentage of "Baltic" in K15 as the Loschbour mesolithic sample has, which is obviously WHG and all modern calculators use it as a part of WHG pattern.
I guess that the best candidate for the marker you are talking about in K15 is "Eastern_Euro". As far as I know it is based on the Kargopol Russians, who actually became Slavs not so long ago.

I don't know :) I live in 100km from the Lithuanian border and have the same percentage of "Baltic" in K15 as the Loschbour mesolithic sample has, which is obviously WHG and all modern calculators use it as a part of WHG pattern.
I guess that the best candidate for the marker you are talking about in K15 is "Eastern_Euro". As far as I know it is based on the Kargopol Russians, who actually became Slavs not so long ago.

I also don't know :) Eastern Euro probably contains some Siberian admixture as it peaks in Mari and Chuvash, but it don't have to. It is a strong component in K15 admixture of early steppe cultures. I still think that Baltic is related to some extra EHG-like admixture, but it is probably also in Eastern Euro, too.
WHGs were ancestral to most of European components, so I don't know if it says something.

There is a separate Siberian admixture on K15, so I don't think that Eastern_Euro contains Siberian.

Mari people score both Siberian and Eastern_Euro - so Eastern_Euro represents the Non-Siberian part of their ancestry, while the Siberian part is represented by Siberian component.

I have GEDmatch kits of around 300 modern ethnic Russians, and all of them score some Siberian on K13 (and on K15 most probably as well, though I didn't check all of them on K15 yet), but Early Slavic samples do not score any Siberian. So Siberian admixture in modern Russians is of Non-Slavic origin.

Interestingly, these Early Slavic samples (Markowice7, Niemcza18, RISE568) also don't score any East_Med on K15. Some of modern Poles don't score East_Med as well (for example father of mlukas doesn't get any East_Med on K15), but the majority do.

I also don't know :) Eastern Euro probably contains some Siberian admixture as it peaks in Mari and Chuvash, but it don't have to. It is a strong component in K15 admixture of early steppe cultures. I still think that Baltic is related to some extra EHG-like admixture, but it is probably also in Eastern Euro, too.
WHGs were ancestral to most of European components, so I don't know if it says something.

Of course they can't be pure "something" as everything in Eurasia and they have some Siberian admixture, just because they live close to it. But at the same time, I think people from Volga-Ural and Northern Dvina areas are the best candidates to be EHG carriers (at least by percentage). Otherwise, as I said before, we put ourselves in an endless recursion, whereas all samples, like Loschbour, La Brana and probably Motala, which intended to be a reference of pure WHG have as much (or just a bit less) EHG as the most EHG admixed region in Europe (Baltic). So it's definitely not Baltic :) Or I understand the basic logic somehow wrong and pervertedly.

There is a separate Siberian admixture on K15, so I don't think that Eastern_Euro contains Siberian.

Mari people score both Siberian and Eastern_Euro - so Eastern_Euro represents the Non-Siberian part of their ancestry, while the Siberian part is represented by Siberian component.

I have GEDmatch kits of around 300 modern ethnic Russians, and all of them score some Siberian on K13 (and on K15 most probably as well, though I didn't check all of them on K15 yet), but Early Slavic samples do not score any Siberian. So Siberian admixture in modern Russians is of Non-Slavic origin.

Interestingly, these Early Slavic samples (Markowice7, Niemcza18, RISE568) also don't score any East_Med on K15. Some of modern Poles don't score East_Med as well (for example father of mlukas doesn't get any East_Med on K15), but the majority do.

Markowice7, scores Siberian and American on HarappaWorld. Smaller admixtures might be missing on many of these samples and admixture proportions are out of whack due to their low quality.
It is after migration of central asian tribes into Europe and after Siberian tribes invasion of Finland and Balts. These two being most likely source of Siberian admixture also in Slavs.

Markowice7, scores Siberian and American on HarappaWorld. Smaller admixtures might be missing on many of these samples and admixture proportions are out of whack due to their low quality.
It is after migration of central asian tribes into Europe and after Siberian tribes invasion of Finland and Balts. These two being most likely source of Siberian admixture also in Slavs.

WTF are you talking about?

This makes great sense.

Hey, Ravnur I notice you belong to mtDNA haplogroup U5b1e1. There's a little known common East European-specfic form of U5b1e1. You see I run an mtDNA blog, have a collection of 20,000 mtDNA samples from Europe. I know a lot about European mtDNA. I get as many mtDNA samples as I can get. And I'm guessing the test you did on your mtDNA was really high coverage which makes your sample even more valuable. Can email your mtDNA raw data to [email protected].

In Eurogenes Basal-rich K7, Mari peoples are 21-25% East Eurasian. In K15 they are 24% Siberian, which is not pure East Eurasian component, so I think some East Eurasian can be in Eastern Euro. But it's a pure guess, maybe you are right that it is the West Eurasian part of their ancestry.

This thread has been viewed 32235 times.

Back