Some more famous Y-DNA

Groninger

Reaction score
Pushkin's haplogroup is mentioned on Poreklo. Of the others the ancestry can be found on geni.com (assuming the information there is correct). I give the name and dates of the ancestor whose haplogroup is mentioned on family tree dna.

Alexander Pushkin R1a

John Hawkins (Andrew Hawkyns, 1421-1453) R1b-DF83

Cooper Family, including James Fenimore Cooper and Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury (John Cooper, 1490-1566) R1b

Ernest Hemingway (Ralph Hemenway) R1b

Clint Eastwood (Israel Eastwood, 1718-1794) R1b

Samuel Morse (Anthony Morse, 1606-1686) I1

Mark Twain (Robert Clements, 1595-1658) I1

Very interesting. I will double check the sources, just in case.

Mark Twain => Clements DNA Project : two descendants of Robert Clements tested I1 and one tested R1b. Since that common ancestor lived 400 years ago and few descendants were tested, the reliability is low.

Samuel Morse => Morse/Moss DNA Project : only one descendant of Anthony Morse, but many Morse individuals with the same I1 haplotype. Possible but need more info.

Clint Eastwood => Eastwood DNA project : only one descendant of Israel Eastwood

Ernest Hemingway => Hemingway DNA project : two descendants of Ralph Hemenway, both R1b.

Cooper family => Cooper DNA project : very common surname. Only lineage N°23 mentions John Cooper (1490-1566). Very distant ancestor, so higher chance of non-paternity event, but R1b possible.

Admiral John Hawkins (1532-1595) => Hawkins DNA Project : lots of lineages, but Andrew Hawkyns (1421-1453) falls in Family Group 3, which is well represented. That's the most likely match so far.

It seems I've been a little rash, but hopefully this is a start for finding these people's haplogroups!

Thanks for posting these. Searching for haplogroups in Geni is most efficient when several people do it, so maybe there should be a thread only for leads and non-verified info about possible famous haplogroup representatives?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Another possibility is J.P. Morgan. His ancestor Miles Morgan (d. 1699) is mentioned as R1b by Family Tree DNA. Several descendants have been tested it seems.

Some more leads, maybe not the most famous people, but unexpected haplogroups (ancestors mentioned on ftdna):

Tommy Lee (musician) Haplogroup A (John Bass, 1616-1699)
Al Jolson (singer) Haplogroup R2 (Yoelson/Henderson, Lithuania)
Billy Graham (preacher) Haplogroup J1 (William Alexander Graham, b. Ireland ca. 1740)

I read that Eastwood is anglicized German east wood Ost wald or Oswald accused killer of JFK.

Current President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins has been tested and confirmed to belong to haplogroup R-L21>M222 by website Irish Origenes.

American frontier explorer Daniel Boone, who laid out the Wilderness Road through the Cumberland Gap and founded Boonesborough, one of the first American settlements west of the Appalachian Mountains, belonged to haplogroup R-M269. The first Boone in America was George Boone (1666-1744). Descendants of the family belong to group 16 at the BooneDNA Project at FTDNA.

This thread has been viewed 8497 times.

Back