Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
One forumer wrote, about sex bias

"But the measurements provided by the old anthropologists (who were Nordicist nuts mostly across the board) don't really match with recent Europeans. CW were more dolichocephalous and high-skulled than even present day Portuguese.

Eventually CW would have blended into the typically West Eurasian morphology, but the dimensions of their skulls go in the rather extreme direction of the Natufians or recent Bedouins."

What deserves some more details - No time tonight but I'll try (and other can do too) to put some order in the fuzzy, unlevel and sometimes contradictory abstracts of anthropologists; sometimes very tiny, sometimes confuse or elusive; no miracle to wait for, no more cifers or indexes at global and individuallevel, for the most...
program: WHG, Anatolians farmers-Danubians, Levant, CWC, BB, Bactrian and so on... with a lot of holes.

One forumer wrote, about sex bias

"But the measurements provided by the old anthropologists (who were Nordicist nuts mostly across the board) don't really match with recent Europeans. CW were more dolichocephalous and high-skulled than even present day Portuguese.

Eventually CW would have blended into the typically West Eurasian morphology, but the dimensions of their skulls go in the rather extreme direction of the Natufians or recent Bedouins."

What deserves some more details - No time tonight but I'll try (and other can do too) to put some order in the fuzzy, unlevel and sometimes contradictory abstracts of anthropologists; sometimes very tiny, sometimes confuse or elusive; no miracle to wait for, no more cifers or indexes at global and individuallevel, for the most...
program: WHG, Anatolians farmers-Danubians, Levant, CWC, BB, Bactrian and so on... with a lot of holes.

Ok curios Moesan, give it a try!

I try: let's wait a few posts with some data before discuss: it would be useless before - I begin far in past but quickly I 'll come to the hart of the historical/cultural/genetic questions opening on Europe dawn -

- WHG Mesolithic West European :
- very diverse according to metrics, even between groups, with a tendancy towards reducing of stature compared to Paleolithic, and cranial features showing (for me, at least for the most) osciliation between two older models, cro-magnon and brünn (combe-capelle, spite later than brünn) could have been a « purer » model than brünn -

– perhaps these osciliations are not only due to differences in respective heritages of the « parent » groups, some new mutations could have played a role –
- something occurred between Aurignacian/Gravettian and Mesolithic, because, apparently the skulls height increased compared to other mensurations : it seems rather « general » and seem come from East :
‘cro-magnons’ France (Paléol) : 77,0
‘afalou’ NW Africa Maghreb (Paléol ?) : 85,0*
‘combe-capelle’ France (Upper Paléol almost Mesol) : 84,8*
‘cromagnoids’ of Charles (late Mesolithic I think) : HSI : 82,5
Magdalenians Sth-France : 83,5
Chancelade Dordogne France CWS (17000/12000 BC?) : 89,8
Mesolithics Sth-France : 89,2
Mesolithics North Europe : 87,0
Mesolithics Jura East France : 87,0
Mesolithics Italy : 86,5
Mesolithics Mugem CSW Portugal : 87,5
Mesolithic Teviec Brittany : 87,6
Mesolithic C-Europe : 87,1
Mesolithic Rhine Germany : 82,4

Mesol-Neol- Capsien Aïn-Meterchem Tunisia : 87,3

I’m tempted to think some late modifications in western and south-western Mesolithic foragers (France, Atlantic, Iberia) could have been due to recent crossings with already gracilized pops from East-Mediterranea (arrived along North and South Mediterranea Sea, no certitude for me), gracilized on the side of what we call ‘mediterranean’ types, all that a short time before the neolithic revolution – a new way to produce small stone pieces seems coming from East, the first seen settlements are in Adriatic coasts and Sicilia/Tunisia and they progressed towards West (Iberia) and later towards North (the Netherlands) with on-the-way- other settlements, progressively disappearing of their first localizations as « fleeing » the Neolithic agricultural colonization – the more remote origin of these new stone technics is debated (East-Mediterranea ? Ukraina?) ; I cite this information without knowing if it has had a demic input… that said the magdalenian ‘chancelade’ type shew already serious tendancies towards a ‘mediter’ type and have surely influenced the S-W Europe mesolithic types (big enough skulls but small body) -

Neol/Eneolithic ‘mediter-cromagnoid’ of Charles : 80,5
‘alpinoids’ Eneolithic Sth-East France : 80,5
we can see that as a whole some refuge regions were more on the ‘croma’ side, with low or low enough HSI – the Magdalenians were rather in a between position, and maybe through the ‘chancelade’ influence ; this last type is surely of a remote proto-mediterranean origin with more modern orbits a bit higher and of very different shapes (the skull too has a new shape) – on the net I red some scientists had seen in Upper Paleol. Central Europe types evocating ‘chancelade’ -

&& : around West Alps, a process of brachycephalization as soon as the 6000 BC if not before was arrived far, apparently upon a cro-magnoid background –that said, the brachycephalization process seem having run from W-Alps until Caucasus at high enough dates in some highlands regions, not all, even if true brachycephaly is not attested everywhere so soon – a link with altitude adaptation ?

&&& : the process of face-breadth reducing in ‘cromagnon’like types of Mediterranea was well advanced at Eneolithic/Chalco ( 4000/3000 BC) but the fact the phenomenon was more visible among females and children and more in East than in West proves to me it’s an exogamy process envolving E-Mediterranean wives (look at the X-auDNA in Mediterranea, rather more level than global auDNA, look at Mugem) -

later, as I've opened the door to Neolithic I'll keep on with - it's of some weight -

2°post :

Pinhasi and Cy, after Coon, has also seen great proximity between Anatolia Catal Höyük farmers of the time agriculture reached Sth-E Europe – it’s the ‘danubian’ type so common among first LBK pops: small (1m62?), lightly built for body, dolicho, very high skulled (88,5), steep frontal, not flaring temporals but rather steep, seen from the top the skull was pentagonoid, the face was small, proportionally rather narrow, I elsewhere (french compil.) red the distance between base of nose crania hole and superior teeth was very high (peculiar to them only), and they had a specificity concerning shoulder bony region (forgotten the terms!) - a mean of Rubanés (LBK) I had not the sample définition gave « only » 85,7 what is rather average and could show admixture with some kind of WHG (the Rhine ones seemed more low skulled) -
– Pinhasi said they easily distinguished from Cayonu people of their time ; at other times, the Catal Höyök were less close to first Euopean farmers and less far from other Anatolians ; I would say they were the result of some ‘mediter’ endogamic group which developped some special traits by drift + selection (agricole way of life) towards foetalized, not sexually very differentied group; their slight differences from other ‘mediter’ groups could explain the less typical « mediterrean-playboy » aspect Europeans developped after Neolithic compared to pops of South who knew subsequent waves of southerners - Coon hesitated and thought they even could have been partly depigmented for hair and eyes, that before auDNA studies !
Coon – without explain deeply the process - thought also they later became mesocephalic and played a role in the formation of the ‘neo-danubian’ pops which in his mind participated in the formation of ‘east-baltic’ mean type…
I wonder if the partial brachycephalization is only an ‘alpin’ input or if the East-Asian mt-DNA found at some levels among ALP-C of Hungary is not the proof of some far eastern input of pseudo « neolithical » pops with small % ‘eastasian’ input or rather a ‘siberian’ one (Dnieper-Donets pops themselves seem having a small input of the same origin) ; I lack knowledge in mtDNA -
all the way even if attenuated the ‘danubian’t tendancy, not so evident among Cardial people (but the samples perhaps were not well seried), was recognized among the newcomers in Neolithic people of Alsace, and from there towards Île-de-France and Normandy and along the Loire river) – it was said that later their type was playing role among Catalunya LN people, in cultures showing ties with the Italian LN – the mean types of french Cardial people which seemingly came via Corsica or/and Sardinia were roughly said ‘mediter’, I have not the cifers but they were for the most small statured (1m62?) more dolicho than the Mesolothic local people, high skulled, with a steep frontal and a long linear head roof from frontal to occipital, very small and narrow face (as in a lot of ‘mediter’ it’s the jaw bigonials which are very narrow and light), with a typical low occipital and a shallow skull keel (contrary to ‘croma’s) – all the way they were rather distinct from the ‘danubian’ type by shapes, and they were an influent type in the pops which colonized France northwards, salong Garonne river and Rhône river until Burgundy, Île-de-France and Switzerland – I would be glad to have surveys about Gurgy in N-W Burgundy, to see the crossings between this pop and the LBK people there, but the mode is more to lone DNA -
Before the Metals a new type appeared, best illustrated by Long-Barrows people of Britain, who were pushed in the inlands by Round Barrows BB’s during the first settlements of this last ones – Coon seemed having found traces of them on the North-Sea and Sth-Scandinavian coastal regions in megaliths and their relationship with TRBK is not clear – as Paleo people and CWC and ‘borreby’s their skulls were big ! Coon said he found ties between the Long-B’s skulls and some Al Ubaid skulls spite lower faced – if I consider the lone skull he gave as pattern and the fact he placed a strong influence of his ‘longbarrow’ type in Western Wales, I state the skull was lower than the Al Ubaid ones, the linear skull-roof length is impressive, the face was very small as a whole but proportionally short and broad with well marked bigonials (not a ‘mediter’ trait), evocating some ‘croma’ reduced face ; the orbits were rather low spite not as low as in ‘croma’, rather squared but with a tendancy of the external lower angles to recede backwards : some southern evolution of ‘cromagnoids’ or a mix of southern ‘croma’ with a mesopotamian ‘mediter’ type : all the way not a pure ancient mesopotamian type – could it be an element in the surely not pure ‘cappadocian mediter’* type of Coon, poorly described by himself, sometimes synonym of ‘indo-afghan’ sometimes considered of its own (doubts !)– what I retain is a strong ressemblance with a kind of gracilized ‘croma’ with maybe some exogamic influence, southern ones – to keep in mind : the ‘Long-B’ people’s faces were small but their skulls were very long and dolicho and Coon said these proportions has never been seen after this period (around 4000 BC) ; stature : 1m67/68 as a mean - in other places of Atlantic Europe, ‘megalithers’ were very dolicho too, but their faces were longer and narrower, larger as a whole too – stature 1m68 – origin debated ;
what has weight about history is as a whole these megalithers seemed newcomers, very taller than the preceding western WHG’s and first neolithicers, and it seems they left input in diverse Atlantic pops, South and North, more in North, until North-Sea pops – their origin is not so evident, and their heterogeneity points to diverse local adaptations with other pops (?) -

* : if I red well, the so poorly defined ‘cappadocian’ types (low skulls too) appeared lately enough in Anatolia-Sth Caucasus regions, among gracile ‘mediters’ who were very high skulled people as a rule -
digest : after Mesolithic end, demic introgression from Danube and W-Mediterranea, with distinct small ‘mediter’s (same ultimate origin) and tall enough supposed ‘mediter’s with surely some HG input to be identified more cautiously (the partly archaic traits in them can come from other sources of HG’s) -
a check of the diverse inputs of WHG/Neolithicers and NEW newcomers at Chalco will follow, but very incomplete because some "holes" persist in parts of Europe far from te Steppes and Near-East influences (holes in MY superficial knowledge at least)

3°Post : in southern Mediterranean France different mean types were cohabiting : for me all show a sort of gracile ‘mediter’ input mixed to more archaic types in different proportions according to places : kind of more ‘combe-capelle’ + fresh ‘mediter’ input in Gascogne reaching Languedoc coast, kind of more ‘croma’ input in other places ; as a whole a lot show some archaic traits, very often in the orbits shapes ; the less dolicho or more meso have as a whole lower orbits index – in Iberia some types seem more freshly ‘mediter’ (longer faced by proportionally higher and less broad upper-face, more dolicho, higher orbits, but it’s far to be the rule all over Iberia) – in Provence the ‘alpine’ tendancy was already well advanced under the Alps inhabitants pression -

________________________________________________________________________________

&&&& : at Chalcolithic a mean type - so called ‘ibero-insular’ , the ‘neo-mediter’ of Charles (in fact coming from Greece region!) colonized Western Mediterranea (Eastern Spain, South-Eastern France and Italy), in concurrence sometimes with dominantly ‘dinaric’ types, these last onesless numerous and not always coming of the same places (hard to check) – this new composite stable mean type ((the Ib-Ins) became almost dominant in West-Mediterranea at Bronze Age when ‘dinarics’ were already greatly assimilated there – in fact a rather stable mix result envolving high % of diverse ‘mediter’s + low level Balkans mesolithic + some steppic input on the ‘corded’ side – according to Charles , for me rather a Caucasus ‘mediter’ mean, auDNA could check it (?) - producing some more slightly archaic features not found among genuine first farmers of Europe, Cardial or Danubian, and not picked among the archaic pops of West at first sight (not the same ancient traits)– so demic input – this would point to a S-E Europe colonization of S-W Europe at Metals Ages without Steppic influences across Central or North Europe – all this ecologically mediterranean stuff, it’s true can be hardly showed in auDNA with our current processes -

‘Dinarics’ : Whatever the reality of the type (homozygoty in features, even if inherited from previously two distinct groups) or a mean contact-type (heterozygoty but the more frequent one), so called ‘dinaric’ types appeared first of all in Germany and Denmark ; curiously, the so called ‘borreby’s’ types seem appearing in the same regions at the same type, leaving way to more than an hypothesis -
& : we could say ‘dinaric’ is a mix result as ‘borreby’s’ are, more on one parent side, so a « brother » mix, or is a son « mix », result of ‘borreby’ + something else, or still : ‘borreby’s’ are « son » of a mix with ‘dinaric’ + something else… what remains is that the well identified ‘dinaric’ is high statured, bony but less heavy bones, with thinner skull thickness, rather high skull (in the two measures : height/breadth+height/length mean: the only valuable index for height of skull to compare dolicho’s with brachy’s) – almost steep flat occipital from the higher point of crania to the lower oneback cranial length weak compared to fore cranial length, less rounded forehead than classical brachy’s, typical agressive high part of the long nose, moderately broad face compared to height, strong high chin - ‘borreby’s seem not homogenous, what I call ‘B’ : with high skulled retreating frontals heavy browridges, lambda flattening (not the complete occipital, not so steep, not the same angles as ‘dinarics’), heavy inferior jaw, not by breadth but by depth, rather great orbits even if with low enough index, and great discrepancy between bizygoma and bigonial breadths > < my ‘A’ : lower skull even if not too low (because subbrachycephaly as ‘B’!), longer linear skull « roof », smaller and low orbits, broader jaws (less discrepancy between bizygoma and bigonials) ; all that is based upon ancient rare skulls, so it could be an « artistic creation » of mine upon scarce sample (!), because today these types are living side by side since the 3000 BC at least, and every between forms can be found ; but the merit of this type is that ‘A’ is more on a classical ‘croma’ side when ‘B’ is more ‘brünn’… without any proof to date I’m pushed to believe they came from East south the Baltic at first not long before the 3000 BC ; no trace of them in neolithic Scandinavia -
Culturally speaking, the ‘dinarics’ seem linked to first metals, BB’s or not – but thay have been found among different people in sepultures where the special beaker pottery seems an intrusive one – in South France ‘dinarics’ are found since the local Eneo/Chalcolithic but are not always associated with typical BB’s pots so… in Rhine C-W Germany (Worms) the BB’s men were as a majority of this type – Iberia BB’s were more on the dolicho’ side, the relay place or common round-about could have been lower Rhône, it seems sensible -

As said before the 2200 BC Round Barrows people had in their mix a dominant ‘dinaric’ element but associated with a respectable number of ‘borreby’s (rather brutal type) and a less heavy % of ‘corded’s. H. Hubert stated their arrival in Britain correspond to a kind of semi-desertification in Westphaly-Germany ; they surely passed across Rhine mouth in the Netherlands before to cross the Channel (Mor Breizh, please!). I don’t go into details because I posted so often, repeating me about the ‘dinaric’s in the Great Isles. The today Western coasts of Norway shelter a mix of sub-brachy’s which seem phenotypically linked in part to these « british BB’s ». I don’t venture any Y-haplo to date.

Markoz :[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]« [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]But the measurements provided by the old anthropologists (who were Nordicist nuts mostly across the board) don't really match with recent Europeans. CW were more dolichocephalous and high-skulled than even present day Portuguese.
Eventually CW would have blended into the typically West Eurasian morphology, but the dimensions of their skulls go in the rather extreme direction of the Natufians or recent Bedouins. »
[/FONT]

Moesan
1- I don’t know an unique typically West Eurasian morphology » -

2- ‘corded’ (the typical individuals) are by far larger skulled and larger faced (with high lower face and less high upper face) than recent Bedwins, beside being very higher and stronger statured -

It’s not possible to consider CWC people as a replication of Yamnaya people, even if ties exist between them - ‘corded’ type of Coon* were also tall, but slender and long legged if I red well, dolichocephalic as Yamnaians, or a bit more, but higher skulled as a mean (Yamanians I think was not homogenous), very narrower faced (one of the longer faces ever found) spite large faced ; Coon thought they were muscular enough, more than his ‘atlanto’ or ‘sexually differencied mediterraneans’ or ‘megalithers’) ; he wrote they had the mean of the nomadic future ‘Iranians’ tribes of the Steppes, what is in contradiction for a part with his above descriptions – but whom ‘Iranians’ was he speaking of precisely ??? - he added the today ‘nordic’ type is a stable mix of a lot of his ‘corded’ peope with less numerous ‘danubian mediterraneans’ (ancient farmers) mix which took place in Central Europe during IA (according to him). In Ukraina, Coon said the crania were not as high, and the ‘danubian’ type more present there along some brachy’s. I saw no description of them by him -

If we take his description as sincere, CWC people lacked the dominantly broad short faces of the South Steppic people of the time and their low skulls (if this breadth is confirmed !?! among all Steppes pops, look later) -

* : not the mean of all CWC people everywhere, but the mean of the dominant type, more « pure » in East-Germany then – I think they were often depigmented on the dark blond/very light brown side and dark blue eyed ; this could in part oppose a number of them to Yamnaians and localize the origin of a lot of them in the central-northern Russian – South Finland regions where dolichomorphs were indicated since a long time and where something ‘nordic’ could have developped, come since long ago from South and partially adapted to cold, distinct from the more archaic forms, brutal or not, brachy or not -

forgotten : the SHI (skull height index) of Corded :
Silesia ‘corded’ : 90,3 ! - ‘corded’ selected among Round Barrows BB mix : 90,6 !!!

Some people of « Neolithic » Finland were dolicho’s, and according to someones (a time more without measures or shapes) and divided in « gracile nordics » in CSW (Ladoga lake) and « robust nordics » in CSE (Onega lake) ; the problem is I dont’ know what are their so called ‘nordics’ types… a role among CWC people ? Very possible !

& : To go back to the ‘dinarics’ skulls associated with BB pottery, scholars said that in several places of Germany, the first BB’s sepultures were found as a rule in upper levels than the CWC’s ones, pottery and kind of skull comprised – at first there has been no mixing – They think there was not combination of these two cultures at first and the theory of ‘corded BB’s’ pottery as a proof of mix of both cultures is mistaking – I ‘ve no opinion about this, but some skeletons seem proving that later the BB’s implied some other pops in their moves (Rhône, Britain) -

other spotty clues :

Carpathian Bassin transition Neolithic/Metals : according to Zsoffmann (metrics):
« penrose contact », I suppose, means close average mensurations -
it’s a digest I made, not a copy-and-paste : my thoughts here in italics and dark pink

– Lepens’ki Vir : contacts with only Dniepr-Doniets culture ('proto-nordic-cro-magnoid’ type) surviving post-Gravettian groups of eastern origin -
me : not pure « east-cromas » of East (so ‘brünn’ influenced, but surely a dominant input of them – not by force by recent immigration but also surviving Mesolithic pops as in Balkans (the Iron Gate people had a good taste of it) but the « proto-nordic » thing imply some modif towards dolichomorphy, so East...
– Körös-Cris : mostly gracile mediterranian, penrose contacts with later ALP : either common ancient component or local survival KSC >O> ALP... KSC without contact in Carpathian Basin (?!?) -
– ALP : proto-nordic-cro-magnoid later gradually gracilised : points to outside eastern Carpathians -
me : gracilization by internal process or, rather, by crossings with Körös-Cris (« contacts », see above)...
– Starcevo culture : no contact too – (strong brachycephalisation from the Vinca site) : but western and central Balkans are « unknown » at Neolithic (Szuszana Zoffmann dixit) – no contact with LBK cultureS of any sort…
me : I would like to know what kind of brachycephaly and what degree...
– C-E LBK « identity » with Bohemian LBK, but no significant penrose results with W LBK (Germany) : both central LBK's + Bruchstedt series (W LBK) << local predecessor unknown to us, # Alföld and # W LBK –
me : a bit of kind of WHG admixture?...of what sort ?...
– later Neolithic groups and combined south Transdanubian Lengyel series (Adzôd, Môràgy-B.1, Tisza, Sirmium group of Vinca culture: related to the 2 central LBK forming a block in the Carpathian Basin, apparently without contacts with others, from before the Neolithic! But Lower Austrian Lengyel series : southeastern contacts, apart -
the central group (« autochtonous block » belonging to robust and gracile leptodolichomorphous (???) varieties (« dominate »), with low proportion of cro-magnoid -
Copper Age : few remnants -
me : here I lost my way : who are the « robust leptodolichomorphous » ? first infiltrations of kind of ‘nordics’ ? A local variant of ‘brünnoids’ ? Or maybe first heavy input of high statured ‘mediters’ from East (Caucasus-Caspian surroundings?) : it could make sense and we have to look at archeology and auDNA - Lack of typology and cifers !
Tiszapolgàr (after Tisza) : no archeological change but increase of proportions of cro-magnoid types (preceding Pit Grave people?) -
me : gracile mediterranians in Bug Dniester burials : W→ E ; myth ? here we see the contrary: infiltration E → W* - nevertheless it would be Steppic moves : small flood of breeders who left few archeologic remnants : more level social class so less remarkable sepultures or egalitarism among mobs of young males, maybe mercenaries absorbed by the cultures of their new masters? -
following period : Middle Copper : Bodrogkeresztùr : cro-magnoids assimilated – old population survived -
Later Copper : Baden population (+ Kostolac in South and Cotofeni in Transylvania) : all strong southern-southeastern componants (penrose contacts) = accord with archeology (breeding populational groups) -
me : here again look at auDNA and archeology… that said there were difference sbetween diverse Lengyel settlements and Baden diverse settlements
Bronze Age (even Middle) : in Maros-Perjàmos-southern Hungary: S/S-E components but also Bodrogkereszur descendants (ancient enough) + Baden immigration -
me : a good medley !!!
from West : BBs in limited territory, short time (archeology : « no mix » - planoccipital Taurid type, unkonw until then in Carpathian basin, found among Kisapostag + Gàta-Wieselburg cultures ; so « metrics » : « mix » !!! - Gàta-Wieselburg close to BBs Moravia, Germany ! -
me : here again mention of ‘dinarics’ in post-BB’s in Central Europe and Hungary.
West-Carpathian Basin too : Bronze Age too : Hurbanovo, not autochtonous, links with Lengyel of Lower Austria and with Zlota-Tripolje-Hamangia -
me : again ‘gracilised mediter’ in part – what kind ?
Middle-Late Bronze : cremation (tumuli, urnfields, incrusted pottery!!! cremation only in North, not in South) found only some skeletons (not cremated) of cro-magnoids (she hypothesized : enemies, sacrified? Cimmerians ?) = robust cro-magnoid of the Middle Copper Pit Grave – the tumuli of Hungarian Plain = close enough to predecessors of Maros-Perjàmos
early Iron Age : Mezöcsàt, maybe Sigynnas (iranophones?): penrose significant contacts with Hallstatt + with Greeks Iron Age through the bessarabian Scythians -
– Scythians there : heterogenous, but with gracile mediterraneanwhich can be said dominant - (could perhaps be discussed?)

– Celts in Hungary: mixed (quickly) -
this Zsoffmann analysis (almost uniquely metrical) covers a long span of time so we see complication growing up by time. No surprise.

A cranial metrics PCA about some pops in cause above gives :
Lengyel, LBK’s, Gulmenitsa, Catal Höyök, Chalco Sardinia, Aceramic, Michelsberg, all with centroids apart from centroids of Mesolithics of any sort (+ Dniepr-Donets Neol’) but the farther ones are Lengyel and Catal Höyük, the closest to Hg’s being Chalco Sardinia – but there is an overlap between some Mesol’s pops and later pops : outsiders among Gumelnitsa, Sardinia, Central Europe Mesol’s and France Mesol’s and even Catal Höyök and Aceramic, overlap more or less together, what I see as crossings results between Hgs and farmers, at first sight–
An other PCA (Pinhasi) only about centroids shows also a global distinction between Neol’s (except Neol’s of Latvia, Baltic and Russia) and Mesol’s – greater distance between Russia Neol’s, Oleni Ostrov on one side and Lengyel and Gulmenitsa on the other side – on other directions, Natufians, Körös and 3 TRB sites are opposed to Chalco’s (which ones?) and Bilcze Zlote – Catal Höyök is close to the 4 LBK sites (N, W, C, E) and to Nea Nikomedia – Aceramic again central enough, beecause its individual elements were very dispersed among Neol’s and Mesol’s – on the otehr sidee, here the French Mesol’s, Vlasac and Portugal Mesol’s are also very central – Latvia Neol’s and Mesol’s, Baltic Neol’s and Västerbjers are neatly among HG’s, but less far from center – 2 sites of Dnieper-Donets close enough to Central Europe Mesol’s are also a bit central spite less than Mesol’s of France and Portugal -
I see here confirmation of the relative closeness of some Mesol’s pops to the most of European Neol’s pops : it’s not an ancient structural affinity as a whole but rather the fact some individuals in every group show a tendancy towards the opposite group and so have an input on the means : result of first crossings ? It confirm what I thought about Portugal and even French Mesol’s - the closeness of TRB with Natufians could surprise but these last ally southern traits with archaic ones and the taste of ‘croma’ in TRB (if they are close to ‘longbarrows’ type) could push on this direction whatever the real genealogic connexions they could have or not have... because PCA’s in metrics anthropo could mislead more severely than in auDNA – all the way a new wave of people from East Mediterranea and their admixture with archaic Atlantic people could have produced megalithers and later western input on TRB ??? Only bets -

During this period :
Unetices : apparently a mix where some ‘dinarics’ left traces but as a whole the pop would have been closer to preceding CWC : high skulls means too, very dolicho as a whole (CI : about 69 and 73): SHI : 89,1 (Bohemia) 89,2 (Moravia/Austria) !!! – to compare I recall : true ‘croma’ about 77,0 - ‘cromagnoids’ and ‘alpines’ about 80,0/82,5 Celts Hallsttatt/La Tène (Switzerland/France/ Great Isles) span : 80,5/83,5 -

More about Near-East and around : abstracts – the underlining is mine -

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The below was posted by Zarahan and brings up the question of whether as mentioned by earlier observers this sculptures of broadheaded or brachycephalic non-Mediterraneans or non-Africans actually date from a much later era than the Sumerian or Sumero-Akkadian periods.

{Geometric morphometric study of temporal variations in human crania excavated from the Himrin Basin and neighboring areas, northern Iraq
by Naomichi Ogihara, Haruyuki Makishima, Hidemi Ishida, Anthropological Science (2009)
Volume: 117, Issue: 1, Pages: 9-17

"this study suggests that the Himrin population was
relatively dolichocranic and generally unaltered until the Parthian period AS IN SOUTHERN MESOPOTAMIA (Keith, 1927; Ehrich, 1939; Swindler, 1956), but sometime in or after the Parthian period a more brachycranic population came into this northern Mesopotamian area and craniofacial characteristics within the inhabitants in this area probably became more diverse, as preliminarily suggested by Ishida and Wada (1981) and Wada (1986). It has been suggested based on archeological data that the population of Mesopotamia began to be influenced by Persians after the Achaemenean domination, and more foreigners were settled and mixed with the native population in the Parthian period (Roux, 1992). The present results do not contradict this view.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Moesan : where did this brachy’s come from ? West or East (Tadjiks from mountains???)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Mehmet Sagir about Anatolia :[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][... Study findings showed that during Neolithic period the morphological structure of Anatolian inhabitants were different than the near region peoples. During Bronze and Iron Ages Anatolian people showed considerable heterogenic structures, thus during the Hellenistic-Roman-Byzantine Ages. In addition females had more heterogenistic structures comparing to males. …][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Moesan : wives-picking here and there or female warriors invasion (LOL) ?[/FONT]

I add: spite "we" (our ancestors) were all a bit 'mongrels' at these dates we can suppose Unetice people ARE NOT the principal ancestors of first Celts and Ligurians -

[h=2]5° post :[/h] [h=2]Steppic peoples of North Pontic and Central Asia :[/h] Opposite opinions have been expressed on the matter :
if I rely on Konintsev and Kazarnitsky and others, the cultural labelling of diverse cultures linked (by us) to Steppes people and supposed I-Eans doesn’t correspond to well separated pops ; the groups are almost all of them mixtures (merely common between them), but the frontiers between the diverse means of these mixtures cross and are crossed by the frontiers between the diverse cultures – it’s important to say because we often discuss of diverse cultures people as if the often tiny auDNA samples we have at hand represent the whole question when the anthropologic studies had far bigger samples -
ATW it seems that physically a dominant group was of the so called ‘east-croma’ type -
the question is : what other groups took part in the mixture ?
I cannot rely too much on the published results by Khudaverdyan about the ties between Armenian plateau ancient people and Pit Grave people ; it’s non-metric cranial and dental study
& : it’s true I don’t rely too much on non-metric surveys because their analysis and the methods employed cannot give us genuine distances between pops and gives too much weight to peculiar rather rare traits against other more general traits – they can show us true genetic affinities among separate pops but this cannot tell us the proportions of the admixtures in cause in a even roughly reliable way, I think, or it needs very very big samples -
- Khudaverdyan writes :
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][ — The Armenian Plateau sample, the Albashevo, Fatianovo and Balanovo cultures and the Timber Grave samples from the Volga region all exhibit close affinities (Khudaverdyan 2011a). The pres-[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ence of Mediterranean characteristics in the following cultures was also noted by Trofimova (1949);(1) the Fatianovo culture, (as in Shevchenko 1984, 1986) (2) the Timber Grave cultures of the forest-steppe Volga region (Khokhlov 2000) and (3) the culture in the Southern Urals Mountains (Yusupov 1989).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Craniological research of the Eluninskaya and Andronovo cultures indicate a morphological association of these Siberian samples with populations from the Caucasia, the Near East and Central [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Asia (Solodovnikov 2006; Khudaverdyan 2011a). The different rates of genetic drift and external gene flow may have contributed to the morphological differentiation and diversification in the different Eastern European and Siberian populations. —] + he keeps on :[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][---They then hypothesised that the tribal part which transported the important Aryan tribes’ Catacomb ceremony was the first tribal part who migrated to the Black Sea steppes through the Caucasus, and perhaps also by sea. Berzin and Grantovsky (1962) and Klejn (1984) suggested that [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Indo-Aryans originated from the Catacomb culture, and Khlopin (1983) also connected this culture with the Indo-Aryans because the catacomb burial ritual observed at Sumbar cemetery had its roots in Southwestern Turkmenistan in the early IV millennium BC. In contrast, Fisenko (1966) considered that the Cat[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]acomb[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]people were proto-Hittites and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]while Kuzmina (1998) supported this view, Anthony (2007) reported that the Catacomb ritual originators were Greek ancestors. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]---][/FONT][/FONT]

Moesan : very opposite to the Russian metrics studies !!!

which apparent « facts » have we with some confidence ?
- the relative % of diverse demic elements are a bit different not only by places but also by periods -
- a southern pop or southern pops seem having taken part in the Steppic mix (more or less according to auDNA suveys AND metrics/anthropol- surveys (and their authors, for sure!)
- a Sth-Caucasus pop, arbitrarily called ‘armenian’ by someones, played a role in Steppes ; the question is : since when ? The old infiltrations or mating « accords » can have taken place long enough time before the Metals Ages and the new cultures apparitions -
& : I say « pop » even if they were unequilibrated concerning genders, sometimes -
- Maykop people seemed well distinct from Caucasus pops, closer to Sth-East Caspian pops of the time (do notice the differences are more reliable than the convergence, because metrics can mistake us a bit without a taste of typology or rather than typology, a taste of shapes frequencies) -
- all Steppes pops were high statured (the warriors gentry at least) : about 1m74/75 ; but Harrapa pop in its glory has the mean of 1m76 – the East Oxus/Sir Darya pops were not small but had means of 1m67 to 1m72, except one site at 1m63 -

- after the 2000 BC it seems Central and East European took part in the « rush towards East » - interesting : Konintsev found in some pops ties 1° with West-Europeans – 2° fewer ties with S-E Caspian culturesor can we say it would be the new average pop of post-CWC people which took part ? Where from ? Maybe the osmosis was already made and the point of departure was around Ukraina and not in Central Europe as some Russian scholars think, who see in this the Y-R1a expansion from Europe ! Someones say the sepulture traditions of Catacombs came from SW-Turkmenistan, so SE Caspian – this doesn’t point to a single direction of demic flood, not by force; but if Maykop « barbarish princes » were more raiders than local cultural launchers from Sth Caucasus, they could have come from SE Caspian : their more robust features could be results of admixture when crossing Steppes ? Were they the precursors of first Catacomb men ? The later second Catacomb people were even more robust, more « croma-steppic » (sorry for the « - »’s) and their mtDNA were a bit russianlike : stayed longer time in Steppes before reaching West ? but the Catacom's deserve more acute look concerning their hypothetic route, more than one existed...

6° Post :

- the brachycephalizing element in Andronovo pops is not clearly identified : the famous massive proto-siberian type of Ienissei/Novossibirsk regions or kind of ‘borreby’ of N-E Europe ??? (puzzling because we don’t know if the proto-siberian peculiar type, already so’europoid’-like was not already a component in ‘borreby’ types…) ( I personally think that the ANE autosomal component was very high among these proto-south-siberians) - or some elements from Tadjikistan mountains ??? (less secure!) -

some opinions resumed here under : some abstracts have been red by us in other threads more or less associated -

Metrics, non-metrics and the Steppes people of the Metals Ages
Lozintsev :
… According to a view shared by most specialists, archaeologists and physical anthropologists alike, the Afanasyev culture was closely related to the Pit Grave (Yamnaya) culture, and its appearance in Gorny Altai and on the Middle Yenisei was caused by a migration from the Eastern European steppes. The possible role of Poltavka and Catacomb culture elements, too, has been discussed (Tsyb, 1981, 1984). The idea is supported by new radiocarbon dates indicating the coexistence of Catacomb culture with Pit Grave culture over most of the 3rd millennium BC (Chernykh, 2008). On the other hand, very early dates of the earliest Afanasyev sites in Gorny Altai (mid-4th millennium BC) suggest that the predecessors of the Pit Grave people, specifically those associated with the Khvalynsk and Sredni Stog cultures, as well as the proto-Pit Grave (Repino) tribes, might have taken part in Afanasyev origins. This suggestion was already made by physical anthropologists (Shevchenko, 1986; Solodovnikov, 2003). …

With regard to the post-Afanasyev Bronze Age cultures, the traditional idea that the Okunev culture is autochthonous has given place to theories stating that the Pit Grave and Catacomb traditions (Lazaretov, 1997), or those of Afanasyev culture, which were also introduced from Europe, were critical in Okunev origins (Sher, 2006). In terms of physical anthropology however, the presumed European ancestry of the Okunev people of the Minusinsk Basin, according to A.V. Gromov (1997b), pointing to affinities with the Pit Grave and Catacomb people of Kalmykia, is rather indistinct and traceable mostly at the individual level if at all. The analysis of data concerning two independent trait batteries – craniometric and cranial nonmetric – suggests that the affinities of the Okunev people of the Yenisei are mostly Siberian (Gromov, 1997a, b), and the integration of these data demonstrates that the unusual trait combination observed in Okunev crania is rather archaic (plesiomorphic) and may be more ancient than both the Caucasoid and Mongoloid trait combinations (Kozintsev, 2004). According to Gromov (1997b), the Okunev people resembled the Neolithic population of the Krasnoyarsk–Kansk region. …
The Karakol culture of Gorny Altai is similar to Okunev culture, and craniometric parallels between people associated with these cultures were also noted. However, Karakol crania are believed to exhibit a “Mediterranean” tendency (Chikisheva, 2000; Tur, Solodovnikov, 2005). The Okunev crania from Tuva and the Yelunino crania from the Upper Ob, especially the former, are much more Caucasoid( £ : link with the « blond Mindin’s » ? not sure at all, spite the Chinese trads saying they were high narrow faced, anthropo’ seems telling they were broad faced-)
This agrees with archaeological facts indicating the affinities of cultures such as Yelunino and Okunev of Tuva with Early Bronze Age cultures of Central and even Western Europe (Kovalev, 2007). The possible Caucasoid ties of other pre-Andronov tribes of Southern Siberia such as Krotovo (Dremov, 1997) and Samus (Solodovnikov, 2005, 2006) have been discussed by craniologists. K.N. Solodovnikov (Ibid.) believes that in all the above pre-Andronov groups, except the Okunev group of the Yenisei, these ties are Southern Caucasoid or Mediterranean which, in his view, is especially evident in the male series. …
… The origin of the Andronov community is one of the pivotal points in Indo-European history. The predominantly Indo-Iranian or Iranian attribution of this community is beyond doubt (Kuzmina, 2007a, b; 2008). The relationship between its two constituents, specifically the Alakul (western) and Fedorov, which spread in an eastern direction up to the Yenisei, is less clear. The Alakul variety apparently originated earlier, in the 3rd millennium BC (Chernykh, 2008) and the cultures which contributed to its origin were Poltavka, Catacomb, and Abashevo. The origin of the Fedorov variety, which originated later and coexisted with Alakul over most of the 2nd millennium BC, remains obscure (Tkacheva, Tkachev, 2008). …
...Craniologists have discovered that the Andronov community was markedly heterogeneous. People buried in graves with Alakul or mixed Alakul-Fedorov (Kozhumberdy) ceramics in western Kazakhstan displayed a trait combination which V.V. Ginzburg (1962) described as Mediterranean, and V.P. Alekseyev (1964) as leptomorphic. Ginzburg believed that this combination evidences the affinities of western Alakul people with both the Timber Grave (Srubnaya) populations of the Volga steppes and those of Southwestern Central Asia (the AmuDarya/Syr-Darya interfluve) {= Oxus region}. The second idea was refuted by Alekseyev, who claimed that archaeological data point solely to western (Timber Grave) affinities. Ginzburg ignored the critique and repeated his conclusion in the summarizing monograph (Ginzburg, Trofimova, 1972). In this case, neither he nor Alekseyev used statistical methods and relied on typological assessments. …
… The results challenge the traditional idea that the sole and direct ancestors of the Afanasyev people were those of Pit Grave culture. Pit Grave affinities rank first only in the cases of Saldyar I and Karasuk III. Catacomb parallels are no fewer than those with Pit Grave, and in most instances they are the most pronounced. Every Afanasyev group has close ties with Catacomb groups. By contrast, not all Afanasyev series show close Pit Grave connections: these are absent in two groups of the Altai (Ursul and Kurota II) and in the pooled Altai sample. In half of the Altai series, ties with the Catacomb people of the Don are the most distinct, and the same is true of the pooled Altai group. Afanasyeva Gora and the pooled Minusinsk series are closest to the late Catacomb of the Lower Dnieper, whereas the series from Kurota II in the Altai, is closest to Poltavka. These results are matched by archaeological facts which, according to S.V. Tsyb (1981, 1984), evidence the importance of Poltavka and Catacomb cultures in Afanasyev origins. …
Strangely, similarities with Timber Grave people are no less numerous. In fact, for the pooled Minusinsk group they are more distinct than those with Catacomb and Pit Grave.
… The results can hardly be attributed to a slightly uneven representation of the three Eastern European cultures in the database, where the Pit Grave is represented by 15 series, the Catacomb by 18, and the Timber Grave by 16. More likely, these results testify to the considerable stability and relative homogeneity of the physical type of the Eastern European steppe populations over the Bronze Age despite the succession of cultures and apparently despite microevolutionary trends such as gracilization. …
… . On the one hand, the Pit Grave people of the Lower Dnieper (Kakhovka and Kherson areas), the Catacomb people of the same region (Verkhne-Tarasovka, early group) and those of Kalmykia are similar to the Chalcolithic Khvalynsk population (5th–4th millennia BC). Another Chalcolithic series which represents the Sredni Stog culture is more isolated, the least removed from it being various Afanasyev groups of the Altai and the Catacomb people of the Don. All these facts may point to the deep Eastern European roots of the Pit Grave, Catacomb, and partly Afanasyev communities. …
… The analysis of a larger number of groups using the reduced trait battery reveals numerous early (4th millennium BC and earlier) Central and Western European parallels for groups such as the Pit Grave from the Ingulets and early Catacomb from the Molochnaya. These ties are especially evident in four gracile early Catacomb groups of the Ukraine, which show 14 close ties with Central and Western European populations and eight with those of Transcaucasia and Southwestern Central Asia. This apparently attests to migration, since the late Catacomb people are more robust, contrary to the normal diachronic trend (Kruts, 1990) and show no such ties. Nor are these affinities shown by the Afanasyev people disregarding isolated Central and Western European ties of Saldyar and Afanasyeva Gora. Despite this, the ties of the Afanasyev groups with the early and late Catacomb are distributed approximately evenly. The general conclusion is rather modest: Afanasyev roots apparently lie in Eastern European steppes and forest-steppes, but relating them to a specific culture is impossible. …
… Gromov (Ibid.) suggests that the Okunev community resulted from an admixture of Eastern and Western populations, and that this admixture is evident at both the within-group and between-group level. Leaving the former aside because of a lesser reliability of individual diagnostics, it can be noted that at the between-group level, the Okunev physical type is quite peculiar, and this peculiarity is not seen in either of the supposed ancestral groups (Caucasoid or Mongoloid). Therefore the observed pattern could hardly have resulted from admixture. This is evidenced by both craniometrics (Ibid.) and cranial nonmetrics (Gromov, Moiseyev, 2004), and by the results of their integration (Kozintsev, Gromov, Moiseyev, 1999, 2003; Kozintsev, 2004). In addition, if the Catacomb people actually participated in Okunev origins, we would have to admit that they were ancestral also to the Neolithic population of Krasnoyarsk–Kansk area, which is craniometrically quite close to the Okunev group. As nothing indicates this, it is more reasonable to assume that the Okunev people were autochthonous, and that European elements of their culture are borrowings.
… Genetic continuity between the Okunev and Karasuk cannot be excluded because the latter display no affinities other than those with the Okunev, apart from ties with the Mongun Taiga people of Tuva who were the contemporaries of the Karasuk. The European group least distant from the Karasuk is the Catacomb of Stavropol. In terms of cranial nonmetrics however, the Karasuk and Okunev are quite dissimilar (Gromov, 1997a). …
… The characteristics of the Okunev people of Tuva, and those of theYelunino and Samus people were discussed in my previous publication (Kozintsev, 2008). In the case of the Okunev of Tuva, the most prominent are the Eastern European steppe parallels (Pit Grave, early Catacomb, Timber Grave), and the analysis based on a reduced trait set additionally reveals an early Central European parallel with a group related to the Funnel Beaker culture of the late 4th millennium BC. The migration therefore was from Europe rather than from Southwestern Central Asia or the Near East as formerly believed. This was hardly the same migration that had brought Afanasyev ancestors to the Altai and to the Yenisei, since the Okunev people of Tuva were less similar to Afanasyev people than to the Eastern and Central European populations. The situation with Yelunino is less clear. This group is craniometrically isolated, being the least distant from the Okunev people of Tuva (Solodovnikov, Tur, 2003). However, in the light of the hypotheses of “Mediterranean” migrations to Southern Siberia, two rather remote Transcaucasian (Kura-Araxes) parallels deserve attention. On the other hand, the analysis based on the reduced trait set reveals only western parallels, including one in Poland. The source of migration therefore cannot be ascertained. In the case of the Samus, the most distinct affinity is with the Poltavka. The same parallel ranks first in the case of an Afanasyev group from the Altai (Kurota II). The role of the Poltavka as a major source of Indo-European dispersals is beyond doubt (see, e.g. (Kuzmina, 2007a)); the question is, with what branch of the Eastern IndoEuropeans was this culture associated? …
… The group from Firsovo XIV on the Upper Ob provides a perfect support for the hypothesis advanced by V.P. Alekseyev (1961) in regard to the Yenisei Fedorov, because the Firsovo series is extremely similar to the Afanasyev group from Saldyar in the Altai. The male Saldyar series admittedly consists of only four crania, but given the territorial proximity of the Upper Ob to Gorny Altai, the relationship is worth considering. Parallels with the Catacomb people of Kalmykia and with the Pit Grave – Poltavka group of the Volga–Ural area too should be taken into account. Neither the Alakul nor Yelunino ties can be revealed by craniometric analysis. The Fedorov people of Rudny Altai are also very close to the Saldyar. …
...The situation with the remaining three Fedorov groups is different. All closest ties of the pooled group from the Upper Ob lead directly to southeastern Europe, in fact to a single region and a single period – the late Pit Grave and Catacomb epoch of the Northern Caucasus and northwestern Caspian (Kalmykia). Sixty years ago, G.F. Debetz (1948) argued with S.V. Kiselev who countered the idea of Andronov migration from Kazakhstan to the Yenisei on the basis of the allegedly sedentary lifestyle of Bronze Age tribes. The route from Southeastern Europe to Southern Siberia was even longer and moreover was hardly straight. The key events in proto-Andronov population history apparently took place in the intermediate territory of the southern Urals – the supposed source area of Aryan dispersals (Kuzmina, 2007a, 2008), but physical anthropology is of little help in elucidating events that occurred at this stage since human remains representing the Sintashta culture are quite scarce. …
… The same can be said of the Fedorov groups of northeastern Kazakhstan. Here as well, ties with the late Pit Grave of Kalmykia rank fi rst; other affinities are mostly with late Catacomb groups and one parallel is with Potapovka. The Fedorov people of the Yenisei are closest to their tribesmen in northeastern Kazakhstan, which supports Debetz’s theory. However, on the Yenisei too the biological legacy of late Pit Grave and Catacomb ancestorsis quite traceable. A similarity with the Afanasyev people of the Altai is less distinct in this case. Turning to Alakul, its eastern group, that from Yermak IV on the Irtysh, like the Fedorov groups, is closest to the late Pit Grave series of Kalmykia. By contrast, the western Alakul group from western Kazakhstan which was traditionally described as “Mediterranean”, reveals a very different pattern of relationships. While here too, Pit Grave and Catacomb parallels rank first, it is the early and not the late Catacomb ties that are the most prominent. Also, most of them lead not to Kalmykia but to a more remote region, the Ukraine. Ties with Timber Grave people, who were contemporaneous with the Alakul, may evidence both common origin and admixture. In terms of origin, connections between the western Alakul and the earlier Neolithic and Early Bronze Age populations of Central and Western Europe are far more informative. None of the remaining six Andronov groups display these ties. One should not forget of course that the reduced trait set used for comparisons with Central and Western European groups does not include important measures of facial and nasal profile. And yet some conclusions can be made with certainty. First, calling the western Alakul people “Mediterraneans” is unwarranted as they show virtually no connections with the Near East, Transcaucasia or Southwestern Central Asia. The parallel with a Middle and Late Bronze Age group from Turkmenia is singular and may attest to a southward migration of proto-Iranians from the steppes toward Iran. Therefore, in the argument between V.P Alekseyev and V.V. Ginzburg, the former was right but his conclusion that the affi nities of Kazakhstanian Alakul are entirely western rather than southern turns out to have a much broader meaning. …
help reconstruct the principal stages of migrations which eventually brought Alakul ancestors to western Kazakhstan. These stages are as follows: Western and Central Europe (4th millennium BC and earlier); the Ukraine (3rd millennium); Northern Caucasus and northwestern Caspian*; western Kazakhstan (2nd millennium and possibly the late 3rd millennium BC). The special role of two groups from the Ukraine – Pit Grave from the Ingulets and early Catacomb from the Molochnaya – as possible milestones marking the advance of Indo-Europeans, specifically proto-Aryans from Central Europe to the east has already been noted in my previous publications (Kozintsev, 2007, 2008). The migration of gracile Caucasoids who were ancestors of certain Pit Grave, early Catacomb, and Western Alakul people from Central Europe to the Ukraine and further east, apparently preceded the migrations of more robust ancestors of late the Catacomb and most Fedorov populations from the Northern Caucasus and the northwestern Caspian to the east and west (see (Kruts, 1990) for a discussion of their migration to the Ukraine). This is supported by the earlier emergence of the Alakul variety of Andronov, compared to the Fedorov variety (Chernykh, 2008). Features of certain Afanasyev groups of the Altai such as the Saldyar and the Okunev people of Tuva, the Yelunino and possibly Samus people, demonstrate that gracile Caucasoids began to migrate to Eastern Central Asia before the Andronov era. The western Alakul population attests to a later phase of the eastward advance of various Indo-European groups which may have continued over many centuries of the Bronze Age. The reconstruction of this historical process is impeded by another process, which is biological by nature and is known as gracilization. In some instances, similarity can be erroneously taken for proof of a genetic relationship while actually it only means that the groups are at the same stage of the gracilization process. Theoretically, however it is unlikely that gracilization can result in a convergence of unrelated groups over the entire set of traits. The effect of this factor can probably be reduced if only the closest similarities are considered, as in this study. Robust Cromagnon-like Caucasoids too, apparently migrated to Eastern Central Asia from the west, and there may have been several such migrations. Thus, while the Afanasyev people are craniometrically closest to the Catacomb people of the Don and Ukraine, Fedorov people who were representatives of a later Cromagnon migration wave were apparently descended from the late Pit Grave and Catacomb people of more eastern regions such as the Northern Caucasus and the northwestern Caspian.
[h=2]_______________________________________________________________________________________[/h] [h=2]Other morphology notes from abstracts more centred on archeology, nevertheless :[/h] [h=2]- Kara-Depe group (halfway Atrek river, East the South Caspian, today SW Turkmenistan :[/h] « morphologic ressemblance between the Kara-Depe skulls and the Sialk (Iran) ones » - (I think Coon called them « eurafrican » or « indo-afghan ») - men : 1m710 – women : 1m590 -
- Sarazm tomb (1 woman, 1 youang man and a child) : « europoid, dolichocrane, narrow face well profiled, close to populations of the Middle Asia and Anterior Asia – the female was high enough : 1m63/64 » - the archeology says Sarazm had contact with Mesopotamia, Iran, Baluchistan and Harappa concerning culture, a bit more ties with this last one, if I red well – about the 1750 BC this urban culture died out, and progressively pastoral tribes occupied the territory -some said the type had not been yet studied bit it seemed having received input of the proto-europoid racial type -
- Altyn-Depe, close to Kara-Depe, they say : « The Altyn-Depe population was also of europoid type, veyr similat to the Gheoksiur population. The bones remnants amazed us by their weak dimensions and their slimness. The ressemblance and the physical aspect of the Gheoksiur and Altyn-Depe inhabitants at the Chalcolithic with the Amtyn-Depe ones of the Bronze Age is evident. » All these pops of the Atrek river banks, during Chaclo and Bronze, have been said of « meridional europoid type » or « dolichocephalic leptomorphic europoid (mediterranean) »… men : 1m69,4 – women : 1m57,5 -
- Sapalli-Tepe et Djarkutan, and Boustan on Amu-Darya river (Bactriana) : « The skulls were very narrow and long (dolichocephalic). The face was of mean height, very narrow, strongly profiled on the horizontal plan, with a very prominent (jutting) nose and low orbits. These traits point to a marked europoid type. … it was a meridional europoid ». These skeletons have been found under tumuli with catacomb (according to the text), the « body » laying on the side, with the limbs bent - & : do notice Sapalli-Tepe people were very small and light, apart from the other pops for this criteria : men: 1m630 – women: 1m 550spite very close (according to authors) to higer statured neigbouring pops – the life level could explain the low stature ? Not too evidentfor other authors (same abstract!) who say the life level washigh enough : « Apparently this gracile aspect was a somatic peculiarity of the group. »
- Vakhsh culture : breeders - (Vakhsh close to Djarkul, N-E to Sapalli-Tepe) : skulls of local Neolithic Hissar culture : Tutkaul and Sai Saied ; they show the population there was of meridional mediterranean aspect, but had a sturdy constitution, a rather receding forehead, a relatively low and broad face and low orbits, broader nose which show it was not the oriental gracile mediterranean but probably a proto-mediterranean type not already differenciated. They say this pop was not close to the Andronovo steppic type ; Vakhsh people were also easily distinguishable from the « pure » mediterraneans well known thanks to Altyn-Depe and Sapalli-Tepe people – apparently the descripted pop was the same as the Vakhsh culture about the 2000/1000 transition, but this passage is not too clear in the text…(I wonder if some ‘veddoid’ element in not at play among them but...)
- Rannii-Tulkhar (Tadjikistan, neighbour to Vakhsh) ; Bronze - breeders too – relations with the Steppes civilisations, « but the craniologic material doesn’t allow to confirm it » - europoid with a large face (broad and high), study body, receding forehead, very jutting nose, as a whole mediterranean type, no component from the Steppes (they say) – this type is stayed isolated among the people of the time -
both types are classified « mediterranean » - Tulkhar people could evocate a rough element responsible of the more robusticity of ‘indo-afghan’ type compared to more southern ‘mediter’ types ??? - but I have not the cifers nor the shapes of these people, not even a Ceph-Index so I can mistake 100 % (a pity) – that said I ‘m not sure they did not have in them one of the Steppics elements ? -

- in Badakhstan, Bronze in Pamir and in the Yuzhbok river valley (between the ranges of Alishur and Wakhan) : dolichomorphic europoid tracing back genetically to a population of the Anterior Asia -
[h=2]- Ferghana agricultors of Tchust (high Syr Darya): dolichocephalic, mediterrnean europoid as a dominant type, but, less evident, a « proto-europoid » type typical of the Steppes of the same period : « there is here a fact which demonstrates that a mixing was taking place and a differenciation of the population on the ethnic side » - the Tchust or Tchoost culture seems the transformation of a Steppic culture under the influence of agricultural southern societies - [/h] Some statures : men women
Parkhay (Atrek) 1m695 1m585
Sumbar (Atrek) 1m680 1m565
Altyn Depe (Atrek) 1m694 1m575
Kara Depe Gheoksiur1m715 1m580
Sapalli Tepa (Amu Darya) 1m630 1m550
Djarkutan (Amu Darya) 1m695 1m585
Makonimor (Amu Darya) 1m695 ?
Tigrovaya Balka (Amu Darya) 1m605 ?
HARAPPA 1m760 1m600
two sample with very low statures among others higher seems pointing towards familial endogamic peculiarities or an other southern pop input...
[h=2][/h]

even if I shall maybe posts other "facts" about physical anthropology and our Eurasian "matrix", we can begin to discuss, without too much naivety nor agressivity -
from what I saw the two-heads Paleolithic Europe (since Gravettian) give way to new small pops with some well defined ones and more numerous, diverse "between" ones, with trend towards one or the other "mother" very ancient pop - about Magdalenian , it seems some infiltrations begun from East, rather South-East according to the features trends - all that is I think resumed in the WHG medley of auDNA - (sure it deserves future looks at it based on recent studies of Paleo) -
It seems the tendancy from Switzerland, some parts of N-E France towards Scandinavia across Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands and Czechia was a rather brutal more brünnoidlike (dolicho) type at the end of Mesolithic, with noticeable exceptions in France, Spain, Italy and even someones in Germany - in western Alps appeared a seemingly rather 'cromagnoid' local type with strong tendancy towards brachycephaly nothing proves its auDNA could show this aspect too clearly compared to others : apparently a local evolution -
&: some remnants in South of 'grimaldoid' types with some limited negroid trend -
at Neolithic came not very smaller types but very more gracile, more dolicho, from South-East Europe, with cradle in WC Anatolia - some differences between them easing the recognition, for the most on crania, but as a whole, same remote origin -
whatever has been said, some mixings occurred soon enough, in Balkans (Iron Gate) and very more in western Mediterranea and Atlantic regions- to be continued, with your accord and God 's blessing -

So classical anthropology, with the caution we owe to have, said us before DNA that Neolithic was come with people, blood and meat and bones - auDNA and haplo's surveys confirmed it, with the advantage they can provide insight in sex desequilibrated matings -
I think that at small scale serious anthropology can provide more precision than auDNA (except some very deep studies with all the technical arsenal, so expensive) -
concerning CWC and Yamna, the means separate clearly enough the two pops - and there is no cranial deformations question here, because not only the skulls were higher and narrower than among Yamna as a whole, but the faces were very very higher and narrower, even if CWC types were not so homogenous and were crossed here and there according to places (the most typical would have been the Germany ones according to Coon) ; they mated with 'danubian-mediter' types in Central Europe who had very high skulls too, but of different shape, and very smaller faces and smaller statures - I think more than an element among CWC produced the average result (not so average as I wrote just before) but one seems 'nordic'like to me and could have been picked in NW Russia- S Finland/EE Baltic - concerning bones, a possible explanation could be they took their Yamnaya part from a pop where a southern element (to determine) was a bit heavier opposed of the so called "EHG" element than among Pit Grave people, joined to the more northern element I mentioned above - or, and here too it requires more precise studies, a EHG part where the 'brünnoid' part was heavier than the true 'cromagnoid' heritage, what auDNA studies have hard work to show -
I think we have to refine the diverse steppic pops auDNA studies - maybe I am wrong?

here, a bit off thread but useful for people speaking about morphology when comparing old and new pops:

sitting height / total body height in some pops: (the higher the index, the shorter the legs, comparatively:
(surely regional means could give different indexes in some cases)

ARMENIANS 53,2
U.S.A. ITALIANS (rather South and south-Central) 53,3
CARELIANS FINLAND 53,0
LIVONIANS 51,3
FINLAND 53,0
YEMEN ARABS 51,3
KOWEITI 52,5
TOTAL PORTUGAL 53,2
PORTUGAL TRAS OS MONTES (N-EAST) 51,9
ANDALUSIA 50,6
FRISIANS 51,0
WESTERN EIRE 53,3
GREAT-BRITAIN (very unprecise!!!) 52-53 !
SERBIANS 52,8
MONTENEGRO 52,0
TOTAL AFGHANS 52,6
PATHANS (E-AFGHANISTAN-W-PAKISTAN) 51,6
TOSKS ALBANIA 53,7
TUAREGS 48,0

I know it's a bit too general but it can already break some prejudices as "Dinarics" are very long legged and "North Europe" is an homogenous region" and os on... I' ll see if I can pick some more indexes even if not the center of this thread; pity I cannot have some proxi's for Mesol, Neol, and Late Metals Ages by cultures and by regions (but often skeletons are not complete, or the bones of several skeletons are mixed or...)

3°Post : in southern Mediterranean France different mean types were cohabiting : for me all show a sort of gracile ‘mediter’ input mixed to more archaic types in different proportions according to places : kind of more ‘combe-capelle’ + fresh ‘mediter’ input in Gascogne reaching Languedoc coast, kind of more ‘croma’ input in other places ; as a whole a lot show some archaic traits, very often in the orbits shapes ; the less dolicho or more meso have as a whole lower orbits index – in Iberia some types seem more freshly ‘mediter’ (longer faced by proportionally higher and less broad upper-face, more dolicho, higher orbits, but it’s far to be the rule all over Iberia) – in Provence the ‘alpine’ tendancy was already well advanced under the Alps inhabitants pression -

________________________________________________________________________________

&&&& : at Chalcolithic a mean type - so called ‘ibero-insular’ , the ‘neo-mediter’ of Charles (in fact coming from Greece region!) colonized Western Mediterranea (Eastern Spain, South-Eastern France and Italy), in concurrence sometimes with dominantly ‘dinaric’ types, these last onesless numerous and not always coming of the same places (hard to check) – this new composite stable mean type ((the Ib-Ins) became almost dominant in West-Mediterranea at Bronze Age when ‘dinarics’ were already greatly assimilated there – in fact a rather stable mix result envolving high % of diverse ‘mediter’s + low level Balkans mesolithic + some steppic input on the ‘corded’ side – according to Charles , for me rather a Caucasus ‘mediter’ mean, auDNA could check it (?) - producing some more slightly archaic features not found among genuine first farmers of Europe, Cardial or Danubian, and not picked among the archaic pops of West at first sight (not the same ancient traits)– so demic input – this would point to a S-E Europe colonization of S-W Europe at Metals Ages without Steppic influences across Central or North Europe – all this ecologically mediterranean stuff, it’s true can be hardly showed in auDNA with our current processes -

‘Dinarics’ : Whatever the reality of the type (homozygoty in features, even if inherited from previously two distinct groups) or a mean contact-type (heterozygoty but the more frequent one), so called ‘dinaric’ types appeared first of all in Germany and Denmark ; curiously, the so called ‘borreby’s’ types seem appearing in the same regions at the same type, leaving way to more than an hypothesis -
& : we could say ‘dinaric’ is a mix result as ‘borreby’s’ are, more on one parent side, so a « brother » mix, or is a son « mix », result of ‘borreby’ + something else, or still : ‘borreby’s’ are « son » of a mix with ‘dinaric’ + something else… what remains is that the well identified ‘dinaric’ is high statured, bony but less heavy bones, with thinner skull thickness, rather high skull (in the two measures : height/breadth+height/length mean: the only valuable index for height of skull to compare dolicho’s with brachy’s) – almost steep flat occipital from the higher point of crania to the lower oneback cranial length weak compared to fore cranial length, less rounded forehead than classical brachy’s, typical agressive high part of the long nose, moderately broad face compared to height, strong high chin - ‘borreby’s seem not homogenous, what I call ‘B’ : with high skulled retreating frontals heavy browridges, lambda flattening (not the complete occipital, not so steep, not the same angles as ‘dinarics’), heavy inferior jaw, not by breadth but by depth, rather great orbits even if with low enough index, and great discrepancy between bizygoma and bigonial breadths > < my ‘A’ : lower skull even if not too low (because subbrachycephaly as ‘B’!), longer linear skull « roof », smaller and low orbits, broader jaws (less discrepancy between bizygoma and bigonials) ; all that is based upon ancient rare skulls, so it could be an « artistic creation » of mine upon scarce sample (!), because today these types are living side by side since the 3000 BC at least, and every between forms can be found ; but the merit of this type is that ‘A’ is more on a classical ‘croma’ side when ‘B’ is more ‘brünn’…without any proof to date I’m pushed to believe they came from East south the Baltic at first not long before the 3000 BC ; no trace of them in neolithic Scandinavia -
Culturally speaking, the ‘dinarics’ seem linked to first metals, BB’s or not – but thay have been found among different people in sepultures where the special beaker pottery seems an intrusive one – in South France ‘dinarics’ are found since the local Eneo/Chalcolithic but are not always associated with typical BB’s pots so… in Rhine C-W Germany (Worms) the BB’s men were as a majority of this type – Iberia BB’s were more on the dolicho’ side, the relay place or common round-about could have been lower Rhône, it seems sensible -

As said before the 2200 BC Round Barrows people had in their mix a dominant ‘dinaric’ element but associated with a respectable number of ‘borreby’s (rather brutal type) and a less heavy % of ‘corded’s. H. Hubert stated their arrival in Britain correspond to a kind of semi-desertification in Westphaly-Germany ; they surely passed across Rhine mouth in the Netherlands before to cross the Channel (Mor Breizh, please!). I don’t go into details because I posted so often, repeating me about the ‘dinaric’s in the Great Isles. The today Western coasts of Norway shelter a mix of sub-brachy’s which seem phenotypically linked in part to these « british BB’s ». I don’t venture any Y-haplo to date.

Markoz :« But the measurements provided by the old anthropologists (who were Nordicist nuts mostly across the board) don't really match with recent Europeans. CW were more dolichocephalous and high-skulled than even present day Portuguese.
Eventually CW would have blended into the typically West Eurasian morphology, but the dimensions of their skulls go in the rather extreme direction of the Natufians or recent Bedouins. »

Moesan
1- I don’t know an unique typically West Eurasian morphology » -

2- ‘corded’ (the typical individuals) are by far larger skulled and larger faced (with high lower face and less high upper face) than recent Bedwins, beside being very higher and stronger statured -

It’s not possible to consider CWC people as a replication of Yamnaya people, even if ties exist between them - ‘corded’ type of Coon* were also tall, but slender and long legged if I red well, dolichocephalic as Yamnaians, or a bit more, but higher skulled as a mean (Yamanians I think was not homogenous), very narrower faced (one of the longer faces ever found) spite large faced ; Coon thought they were muscular enough, more than his ‘atlanto’ or ‘sexually differencied mediterraneans’ or ‘megalithers’) ; he wrote they had the mean of the nomadic future ‘Iranians’ tribes of the Steppes, what is in contradiction for a part with his above descriptions – but whom ‘Iranians’ was he speaking of precisely ??? - he added the today ‘nordic’ type is a stable mix of a lot of his ‘corded’ peope with less numerous ‘danubian mediterraneans’ (ancient farmers) mix which took place in Central Europe during IA (according to him). In Ukraina, Coon said the crania were not as high, and the ‘danubian’ type more present there along some brachy’s. I saw no description of them by him -

If we take his description as sincere, CWC people lacked the dominantly broad short faces of the South Steppic people of the time and their low skulls (if this breadth is confirmed !?! among all Steppes pops, look later) -

* : not the mean of all CWC people everywhere, but the mean of the dominant type, more « pure » in East-Germany then – I think they were often depigmented on the dark blond/very light brown side and dark blue eyed ; this could in part oppose a number of them to Yamnaians and localize the origin of a lot of them in the central-northern Russian – South Finland regions where dolichomorphs were indicated since a long time and where something ‘nordic’ could have developped, come since long ago from South and partially adapted to cold, distinct from the more archaic forms, brutal or not, brachy or not -

Moesan a late reply, interesting material!! But sometimes hard to follow because of the staccato style and many side lines..... about Bel Beakers, flat occiputs, "Borreby" and "Dinarid" I wrote this posting, mostly based on the Swiss anthropologist Kurt Gerhardt.

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...type-and-the-flat-occiput?p=509329#post509329

This thread has been viewed 5422 times.

Back