Indian Subcontinent: 1291 individuals from key ethnic groups.

Alpenjager

Reaction score
The human male specific Y-chromosome passes from father to son essentially unchanged, but occasionally a random change, known as a mutation, occurs. These mutations, also called markers, serve as beacons and can be mapped. When geneticists identify a mutation in a DNA test, they try to determine when it first occurred and in which part of the world. Thus, the Y-chromosome haplogroup, which is a population group descended from a common ancestor, can be used to trace the paternal lines of men. The poster describes a research project that aims to identify the ancient geographical origins of key ethnic communities of the Indian subcontinent, based on their Y-DNA haplogroups.

METHODOLOGY: Eight different haplogroups were identified from asample of haplotypes of key ethnic communitiesof the Indian subcontinent. A haplogroupprediction software program was used. Thedefinitions of haplogroups were used todetermine their deep ancestries.

Most surprisingly is that this team made a Phylogenetic tree with T-M184 downstream P-M45 :startled:

And ASTONISHINGLY they found 9% of I haplogroup among the Total sampled populations.
:indifferent:

https://peerj.com/preprints/2755.pdf

And ASTONISHINGLY they found 9% of I haplogroup among the Total sampled populations.
:indifferent:

Well that's the sort of results you're likely to get if you plug "haplotypes" into "a haplogroup prediction software program." So I'm skeptical.

I got excited about the title for nothing. I was hoping for a detailed study of Indian regions, ethnic groups and castes, but that study is useless. They used data from old studies, and mostly lots of very limited Y-STR (17 markers, barely enough to know once top-level haplogroup).

Based on the overall haplogroup composition it looks like the sample populations had a strong north-western bias (only 10% of hg H, but 25% of Middle Eastern E + G + J, and 10% of Q). I also have a hard time to believe the 9% of hg I, but it's not impossible that this is I2 of Indo-European origin (although with a strong sample bias).

This thread has been viewed 4541 times.

Back