Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Indian Subcontinent: 1291 individuals from key ethnic groups.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 10.0%

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Indian Subcontinent: 1291 individuals from key ethnic groups.

The human male specific Y-chromosome passes from father to son essentially unchanged, but occasionally a random change, known as a mutation, occurs. These mutations, also called markers, serve as beacons and can be mapped. When geneticists identify a mutation in a DNA test, they try to determine when it first occurred and in which part of the world. Thus, the Y-chromosome haplogroup, which is a population group descended from a common ancestor, can be used to trace the paternal lines of men. The poster describes a research project that aims to identify the ancient geographical origins of key ethnic communities of the Indian subcontinent, based on their Y-DNA haplogroups.

METHODOLOGY: Eight different haplogroups were identified from asample of haplotypes of key ethnic communitiesof the Indian subcontinent. A haplogroupprediction software program was used. Thedefinitions of haplogroups were used todetermine their deep ancestries.

Most surprisingly is that this team made a Phylogenetic tree with T-M184 downstream P-M45

And ASTONISHINGLY they found 9% of I haplogroup among the Total sampled populations.

https://peerj.com/preprints/2755.pdf

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenjager View Post

And ASTONISHINGLY they found 9% of I haplogroup among the Total sampled populations.
    Well that's the sort of results you're likely to get if you plug "haplotypes" into "a haplogroup prediction software program." So I'm skeptical.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    I got excited about the title for nothing. I was hoping for a detailed study of Indian regions, ethnic groups and castes, but that study is useless. They used data from old studies, and mostly lots of very limited Y-STR (17 markers, barely enough to know once top-level haplogroup).

Based on the overall haplogroup composition it looks like the sample populations had a strong north-western bias (only 10% of hg H, but 25% of Middle Eastern E + G + J, and 10% of Q). I also have a hard time to believe the 9% of hg I, but it's not impossible that this is I2 of Indo-European origin (although with a strong sample bias).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.