23andMe Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

23andme is updating AC with more details Locations.

Did they specify when the changes will be made? I'm looking for an e-mail or something on the site, but couldn't find anything. Can you post a screen shot or link?

Did they specify when the changes will be made? I'm looking for an e-mail or something on the site, but couldn't find anything. Can you post a screen shot or link?
From The Forum:

“Report Update: Ancestry Composition (Beta)

Forums Moderator
February 13 in Ancestry
Hi everyone,

As many of you noticed over the weekend, we are in fact beta testing a new version of the Ancestry Composition report.

We hope to tell you more about this exciting new update soon. For now, however, know that we are still working on optimizing the performance of the feature and fine tuning some of its details - so you may spot a few differences between the present version and the final one.

And for those wondering, yes, the new results do have a lot in common with an older feature by the name of Countries of Ancestry.

- Josie on behalf of the 23andMe Ancestry Team”

https://www.23andmeforums.com/discussion/14378/report-update-ancestry-composition-beta#latest

Northwestern European 96.1%
British & Irish 45.9%
Finish 7.3%
French & Irish 4.6%
Scandinavian 3.6%
Broadly Northwestern European 34.7%
Broadly Southern European 0.9%
Broadly European 2.8%

East Asian & Native American 0.02%

In some cases, yes. But considering that we are still in the relatively early days of DNA science, some ethnicities get lost in the mix and people get confused as to what they are seeing. Take the French for example. A very diverse country, even back in antiquity. There are very few databases that have any significant number of French samples so often their results are skewed toward English, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Scandinavian. This can lead to a lot of confused people wondering what is wrong with their results.

Thank you for posting this! I've always wanted to see national results organized like that. I have made my own table of Portuguese and Spanish 23andme users, mostly "relatives". The results don't totally match what is in your table - for example, the Portuguese results tend to have more British&Irish than French&German, but that might be due to the fact that they have more in common with one another, being all related to me, thus being unrepresentative.

The reply above was posted in response to Maciamo, to thank him for producing that table with the European 23andme results.

Polish-American guy who was born in Lesko (South-Eastern Poland) posted his 23andMe:

Lesko: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesko

http://www.historycy.org/index.php?showtopic=166523&st=0

European
100.0%
Eastern European
82.8%
Southern European
10.2%
Balkan
9.3%
Broadly Southern European
0.9%
Northwestern European
3.3%
French & German
0.6%
Broadly Northwestern European
2.7%
Broadly European
3.7%
East Asian & Native American
< 0.1%
Broadly East Asian & Native American
< 0.1%
Unassigned
< 0.1%

Have you considered creating a map of admixtures based on DNA Land, MyHeritage, Gencove, GenePlaza etc. tests? These tests are for free (autosomal transfer is for free) and they accept transfers of autosomal data from all major companies, therefore you will be able to get more samples per country. In Poland for example, most people test with FTDNA, 23andMe is not very popular. 23andMe is not so popular in Europe because they don't offer discounts or medical reports to Europeans, they treat Europeans as second-class customers.

Have you considered creating a map of admixtures based on DNA Land, MyHeritage, Gencove, GenePlaza etc. tests? These tests are for free (autosomal transfer is for free) and they accept transfers of autosomal data from all major companies, therefore you will be able to get more samples per country. In Poland for example, most people test with FTDNA, 23andMe is not very popular. 23andMe is not so popular in Europe because they don't offer discounts or medical reports to Europeans, they treat Europeans as second-class customers.

That's a good idea, but I would need enough people from every country to share their data. I am going to start similar threads for other companies.

Italian from Rimini (Center-North, 3 grandparents from Emilia-Romagna region, 1 grandpa from Sicily)

European 100%

Italian 89.6%
Iberian 2.5%
French & German 0.6%
Broadly Southern European 4.7%
Broadly Northwestern European 1.5%
Broadly European 1.1%t

European
52.0%
Eastern European
48.8%
Southern European
10.2%
Balkan
69.3%
0.8%
Northwestern European
4.3%
French & German
0.2%
2.7%
Broadly European
3.6%
98.0%
97%
Unassigned
< 0.1%

Hi, I'm from The Netherlands. My first post on this forum.

I received my 23andMe test results this month (July 2018)

100% European
French & German 44,3%
British & Irish 26,6%
Scandinavian 10.5%
Broadly Northwestern European 18,3%
Broadly European 0,3%
Other 0,0%

European
52.0%
Eastern European
48.8%
Southern European
10.2%
Balkan
69.3%
0.8%
Northwestern European
4.3%
French & German
0.2%
2.7%
Broadly European
3.6%
98.0%
97%
Unassigned
< 0.1%
trying to figure out the mathematics behind this post...

trying to figure out the mathematics behind this post...

What if the math is correct.
Obviously is the DNA of a GIANT.
imho :) LoL

My results are changed :
European 96.7%
Italian 71.7%
Balkan 16.6%
Ashkenazi Jewish 0.3%
Broadly Southern European 7.6%
Broadly European 0.5%
Western Asian & North African 2.7%
Western Asian 2.0%
Broadly Western Asian & North African 0.7%
East Asian & Native American 0.1%
Unassigned 0.6%

FabR1B, I am going to surmise that you got your 2.5% Iberian from your Sicilian grandpa. My great-grandfather's parents were born and raised in Sicily and I have 1.6% Iberian. Either the ancestral tribes of Sicily were related to the Iberians or the Catalans had some fun on the island when Aragon ruled it in the late Middle Ages. At any rate I am 88% Northwest European; 11% South European, and 1% Native American/Unassigned.

FabR1B, I am going to surmise that you got your 2.5% Iberian from your Sicilian grandpa. My great-grandfather's parents were born and raised in Sicily and I have 1.6% Iberian. Either the ancestral tribes of Sicily were related to the Iberians or the Catalans had some fun on the island when Aragon ruled it in the late Middle Ages. At any rate I am 88% Northwest European; 11% South European, and 1% Native American/Unassigned.

Joey37, it may be that in this specific case a Sicilian ancestor could be the most likely vector of the Iberian quota (his grandfather should test himself), as well as a friend of mine - half Sardinian and half Sicilian - has 2.5% of Iberian, but it doesn't always work so in Italy, and you can find some paradoxical situation.
I come from more or less the same areas of FabR1B, but I haven't any sicilian grandfather - that I know they are all local, at least up to all the great-great-grandparents - yet my autosomal of 23andme gives me back 6% of Iberian. Working with a little imagination at this point I could hypothesize the attendance in my family tree of some castilian / navarrians / aragonese military operating between Romagna and the Este Duchy in the early modern age (at the service of Pope Borgia and his sons?), or more recently some French Napoleonic soldier, perhaps from the Languedoc region.It is however a hypothesis that satisfies me only in part, as also in other areas of northern Italy this portion of Iberian tends to appear in a variable but not contemptible manner. A boy from the countryside just outside Piacenza, on the opposite side of the region has 4.2%; my genetic cousin traced with 23and me, originally from Bondeno near Ferrara and from Varese in upper Lombardy, is 3% Iberian.
I therefore think that this component, if it is not traceable in the more recent generations, can sometimes be attributed to more remote influences, perhaps attributable to pre-Roman populations (ancient Ligurian and /or Celtic-Ligurians tribes ...)

View attachment 10387

Joey37, it may be that in this specific case a Sicilian ancestor could be the most likely vector of the Iberian quota (his grandfather should test himself), as well as a friend of mine - half Sardinian and half Sicilian - has 2.5% of Iberian, but it doesn't always work so in Italy, and you can find some paradoxical situation.
I come from more or less the same areas of FabR1B, but I haven't any sicilian grandfather - that I know they are all local, at least up to all the great-great-grandparents - yet my autosomal of 23andme gives me back 6% of Iberian. Working with a little imagination at this point I could hypothesize the attendance in my family tree of some castilian / navarrians / aragonese military operating between Romagna and the Este Duchy in the early modern age (at the service of Pope Borgia and his sons?), or more recently some French Napoleonic soldier, perhaps from the Languedoc region.It is however a hypothesis that satisfies me only in part, as also in other areas of northern Italy this portion of Iberian tends to appear in a variable but not contemptible manner. A boy from the countryside just outside Piacenza, on the opposite side of the region has 4.2%; my genetic cousin traced with 23and me, originally from Bondeno near Ferrara and from Varese in upper Lombardy, is 3% Iberian.
I therefore think that this component, if it is not traceable in the more recent generations, can sometimes be attributed to more remote influences, perhaps attributable to pre-Roman populations (ancient Ligurian and /or Celtic-Ligurians tribes ...)

View attachment 10387

I completely agree.

Fwiw, I also score Iberian in 23andme.

Well, I spoke too soon. :) It depends both on the version of 23andme, and updates.

I used to score 5.6% Iberian. That's now gone. It seems to have gone into French and German, which is now 10.3% from like .2%. Oddly, I also suddenly have Scandinavian for the first time, over 2%? Maybe it's Lombard? There were a lot of them around us. The British and Irish has gone down, and the broadly NW Europe is the same, about 8%. Broadly Southern European is way down. Odd.

• [h=5]Italian[/h][h=5]69.4%[/h]

[h=6]Italy[/h]

• [h=5]French & German[/h][h=5]10.3%[/h]

• [h=5]Scandinavian[/h][h=5]1.8%[/h]

• [h=5]Sardinian[/h][h=5]0.2%[/h]

• [h=5]British & Irish[/h][h=5]0.1%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Southern European[/h][h=5]9.0%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Northwestern European[/h][h=5]7.7%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly European[/h][h=5]1.4%[/h]

• [h=5]East Asian & Native American[/h][h=5]0.1%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Northern Asian & Native American[/h][h=5]0.1%[/h]

That's v4/v5, btw.

My v2/v3:

• [h=5]Italian[/h][h=5]58.9%[/h]

[h=6]Italy[/h]

• [h=5]Iberian[/h][h=5]5.6%[/h]

• [h=5]British & Irish[/h][h=5]0.9%[/h]

• [h=5]French & German[/h][h=5]0.2%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Southern European[/h][h=5]22.7%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Northwestern European[/h][h=5]7.9%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly European[/h][h=5]3.1%[/h]

• [h=5]East Asian & Native American[/h][h=5]0.2%[/h]

Eastern European 48.0%
Balkan 40.7%
Broadly Southern European 2.6%
Broadly Northwestern European 2.0%
Broadly European 6.3%

• Hi , I am from France , Champagne region .
  • European 99.9%
    French & German 36.2%
    British & Irish 19.1%
    Italian 6.2%
    Iberian 2.0%
    Balkan 0.8%
    Finnish Less than 0.1%
    Broadly Northwestern European 22.0%
    Broadly Southern European 7.9%
    Broadly European 5.6%
    Western Asian & North African Less than 0.1%
    Broadly Western Asian & North African Less than 0.1%
    Unassigned Less than 0.1%
    K1
    More Neanderthal variants than 94% of customers
    R-L51

This thread has been viewed 237814 times.

Back