Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

Received my 23 & Me Ancestry composition results today.

European 100%
British & Irish 80.7%
( United Kingdom )
French & German 2.0%
( Netherlands)
Scandinavian 0.8%
Finnish 0.3%
Iberian 0.2%
Broadly Northwestern European 14.4%
Broadly Southern European 1.0%
Broadly European 0.5%

The above is at 50% speculative.

At 90% conservative I had these results.

European 99.6%
British & Irish 24.1%
Broadly NorthWest European 66.5%
Broadly European 9.1%
unassigned, no data available. 0.4%

Also MTDNA confirmed as H1c3
and Y,DNA confirmed as H-P96 ( Y H2)

The report also shows under recent ancestors. I have a 100 % 'French & German', Great+Grandparent, but then highlights the 'Netherland's for this ancestor, by including 'Netherland's under 'France & Germany', and confirming 'Netherland's by a single dot in the category. indicating they were born within the periods 1750 and 1830( So were they French, German, or Dutch ? ).

The reports also indicate I also have a '100% Scandinavian', Great +Grandparent, born between 1720 and 1810. Along with a similar '100% Finnish', Great + Grandparent, born between 1690, and 1780, and a further '100% Iberian', Great + Grandparent, born around the same period, 1690 and 1780. So more unravelling to do, and are these recent ancestor reports reliable, ? as the area,s mentioned show very small percentages, such as,0.2%,0.3%,0.8%.

This recent ancestor information from 23 & Me,seems to support my LivingDNA, Y 'raw data', which indicated ancestral connections to both Finnland and Scandinavia, but I was suprised to find, that it is so recent, and as close as possibly only, 5-6 generations away.

Last edited:
Spaniard, Northwestern Spain (Galicia). 23andme results.

Hello, I am galician (northwestern iberian peninsule). My whole family was born in the same area in northwestern Galicia (As Mariñas). I know I have an ancestor (a napoleonic soldier in my mother´s side) from Central Europe in 1800.

My results are:

100% European.
69,1% Iberian.
8,9% French and German.
8,7% Broadly Southern European.
7,8% Broadly Northwestern European.
2,8% Italian.
1,5% British and Irish.
1,2% Broadly European.

My maternal lineage is H1
My paternal lineage is J-L283

I have a little more than 4% Neanderthal, but only 267 variants.

I found relatives in the USA, and yes, we have common ancestors, brothers or sisters of my great-granparents who emigrated to America.

I would like to know how to put my raw results somewhere and find out more.

Regards.

Born in the west of Romania, the 23andme composition result (last updated October 25, 2018):

I 50% speculative:

European 99.9%

Balkan 86.1%
Eastern European 3.4%
Italian 3.3%
French & German 0.3%
Broadly Southern European 3.3%
Broadly Northwestern European 0.2%
Broadly European 3.3%

Melanesian 0.1%

Broadly Melanesian 0.1%

II 90% speculative:

European 96.3%

Balkan 56.1%
Italian 0.1%
Broadly European 29.5%
Broadly Southern European 10.6%

Unassigned 3.7%

Born in the west of Romania, the 23andme composition result (last updated October 25, 2018):

I 50% speculative:

European 99.9%

Balkan 86.1%
Eastern European 3.4%
Italian 3.3%
French & German 0.3%
Broadly Southern European 3.3%
Broadly Northwestern European 0.2%
Broadly European 3.3%

Melanesian 0.1%

Broadly Melanesian 0.1%

II 90% speculative:

European 96.3%

Balkan 56.1%
Italian 0.1%
Broadly European 29.5%
Broadly Southern European 10.6%

Unassigned 3.7%

That's a lot of Balkan.

"That's a lot of Balkan."

:) you' re right, I have a surname which is very common in Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro, I suspect 7-8 generations ago a grand grand grand granfather moved from there.
But what amazed me is the melanesian 0.1% which is quite a thing knowing it is from Pacific... wtf
:confused:

"That's a lot of Balkan."

:) you' re right, I have a surname which is very common in Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro, I suspect 7-8 generations ago a grand grand grand granfather moved from there.
But what amazed me is the melanesian 0.1% which is quite a thing knowing it is from Pacific... wtf
:confused:

Any admixture lower than 2 percent(from what I have heard) is considered "noise". Most of my 1 percent admixtures fall off in other tests.

Much obliged Dibran for sharing that, I suspected it might fall into the margin of error, which I believe is normal.
The 23andme test served well its purpose giving the information I need regarding the basics I expect the composition result to get more accurate once more test results will expand the database and the potential links thanks to newer added relatives.

My updated results with regional breakdown

sIg6L3d.png

H448me4.png

kbbfZPb.png

my new 23andme v3 ancestry

and my son...23andme v4

I am Cappadocian Greek and I score 36% Italian. Of course no Roman ancestry in my case (and many other Anatolian Greeks who tend to score really high Italian).

Cypriots score also high Italian.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk
Greece also scores high. It seems Albania only is a hard core Balkan people. I am surprised by amount of Italian in Crete and Cyprus, Italians have done some serious damage in Greece! I have a book about Parthenon (written by an American professor) and he says one Parthenon was intact until 17 century, when an Italian general bombed it with artillery since there inside were Turks hiding. They must have stayed in Greece

my new 23andme v3 ancestry

and my son...23andme v4

Miano/Slovenia well, that's hardly a surprise.

Greece also scores high. It seems Albania only is a hard core Balkan people. I am surprised by amount of Italian in Crete and Cyprus, Italians have done some serious damage in Greece! I have a book about Parthenon (written by an American professor) and he says one Parthenon was intact until 17 century, when an Italian general bombed it with artillery since there inside were Turks hiding. They must have stayed in Greece
That would be general Latin not just Italian and Cypriots are racially South East European Greek and Balkan they are just more Near Eastern than mainland Greeks.

You went off topic.
Don’t omit important details.
Does your book say that the Parthenon was used as an Ottoman ammunition dump, and was mainly damage by the gunpowder and ammunition stored inside during the confrontation with the Venetians?

Miano/Slovenia well, that's hardly a surprise.

I do not know what you mean
My son second choice ........is due because his mother's lines comes from east Veneto on the Livenza river which is the border of Veneto and Friuli

It says there was an update on December 20, 2018. Nevertheless, my results and interface have not changed. I don't see an option for provincial areas yet. I'm on V5.

If you go to "Settings" and opt into their beta program, then they will unlock this for you.

Just checked my beta version of 23andMe yesterday. It seems quite functional, although in a rather surprising way it assigns me a secondary calabrian origin of which I am not aware (at least for the last two centuries).
Without excluding a priori potential and unknown insertions of southern Italians in my family tree, I can't explain it from a historical point of view if not thinking of the signal of some more archaic common heritage (Greek-Byzantine?) of the Middle Ages, with ancestors whose descendants scattered in Italy, concentrating in Calabria and in ​​the Exarchate of Ravenna, and moving between the two regions. Or perhaps even to some even more ancient events, with the Romans sending settlers from the South towards the Po Valley or with Greek merchants / sailors who shuttled between Magna Graecia and the ancient Spina. Who knows?

Similar results, rather strange, have appeared to a man from the Lunigiana (Val di Magra) that I know on Facebook, whose ancestors for the last 3-4 centuries are all documented and coming from those territories or from the areas immediately surrounding (Tuscany, Liguria , Parma Apennines ....): among the first results of his origins appears Sicily, which doesn't make much sense. Even to a lady from Bellinzona-Locarno, with swiss-ticinese and french-german roots, Sicily appeared as one of its ancestral localities (!).
One of my other friends, half Italian from the Canton of Ticino and half of the Campania region from the province of Caserta, sees his share of southern Italy, but the Lombard-Ticinese component is completely hidden.

This tool is experimental, so I suspect that at present it works with good approximation only for individuals from areas with many samples tested and / or regions whose ethnic composition is extremely homogeneous, and Italy is too complex in this respect, nor tested in a capillary way.

View attachment 10565

Just checked my beta version of 23andMe yesterday. It seems quite functional, although in a rather surprising way it assigns me a secondary calabrian origin of which I am not aware (at least for the last two centuries).
Without excluding a priori potential and unknown insertions of southern Italians in my family tree, I can't explain it from a historical point of view if not thinking of the signal of some more archaic common heritage (Greek-Byzantine?) of the Middle Ages, with ancestors whose descendants scattered in Italy, concentrating in Calabria and in ​​the Exarchate of Ravenna, and moving between the two regions. Or perhaps even to some even more ancient events, with the Romans sending settlers from the South towards the Po Valley or with Greek merchants / sailors who shuttled between Magna Graecia and the ancient Spina. Who knows?

Similar results, rather strange, have appeared to a man from the Lunigiana (Val di Magra) that I know on Facebook, whose ancestors for the last 3-4 centuries are all documented and coming from those territories or from the areas immediately surrounding (Tuscany, Liguria , Parma Apennines ....): among the first results of his origins appears Sicily, which doesn't make much sense. Even to a lady from Bellinzona-Locarno, with swiss-ticinese and french-german roots, Sicily appeared as one of its ancestral localities (!).
One of my other friends, half Italian from the Canton of Ticino and half of the Campania region from the province of Caserta, sees his share of southern Italy, but the Lombard-Ticinese component is completely hidden.

This tool is experimental, so I suspect that at present it works with good approximation only for individuals from areas with many samples tested and / or regions whose ethnic composition is extremely homogeneous, and Italy is too complex in this respect, nor tested in a capillary way.

View attachment 10565

The attachment doesn't work, Stuvane. It's better to take a screenshot of things with imgur or something similar and then post it.

Here's mine. It gets the picture generally right, as I'm half Emilian (Parma). The other half is Lunigiana and La Spezia. They seem to put all of that in Toscana. I have no idea about the other traces. On my father's side (Parma) they've been up in the Apennines mixing with no one else since the 1400s. I do know that my maternal grandfather's surname, who is actually from La Spezia and towns a little west of there in the Ligurian Alps, shows up in Piemonte and Lazio, although I always thought the movement was north to south, as it's also in Lombardia and the Ticino.

The southern areas which show up are a mystery. I've also traced most of my mother's lines, especially her maternal side, back to the mid 1500s and don't see any of that ancestry. There are a few of my maternal grandfather's lines where I can only go back about 200 years, so it's either from that, or it's very old. The population of the southern Magra Valley was partially formed by the exodus of the people of Luni into the interior when it was finally destroyed. Perhaps some of it stems from that.

Nothing else "exotic" about me, however, unless French and German and a smidgen of American Indian counts. :)

pCoYDV4.png

For what it's worth, my only Italian "matches" are from Emilia, Liguria, Toscana, and Piemonte.

The attachment doesn't work, Stuvane. It's better to take a screenshot of things with imgur or something similar and then post it.

Here's mine. It gets the picture generally right, as I'm half Emilian (Parma). The other half is Lunigiana and La Spezia. They seem to put all of that in Toscana. I have no idea about the other traces. On my father's side (Parma) they've been up in the Apennines mixing with no one else since the 1400s. I do know that my maternal grandfather's surname, who is actually from La Spezia and towns a little west of there in the Ligurian Alps, shows up in Piemonte and Lazio, although I always thought the movement was north to south, as it's also in Lombardia and the Ticino.

The southern areas which show up are a mystery. I've also traced most of my mother's lines, especially her maternal side, back to the mid 1500s and don't see any of that ancestry. There are a few of my maternal grandfather's lines where I can only go back about 200 years, so it's either from that, or it's very old. The population of the southern Magra Valley was partially formed by the exodus of the people of Luni into the interior when it was finally destroyed. Perhaps some of it stems from that.

Nothing else "exotic" about me, however, unless French and German and a smidgen of American Indian counts. :)

pCoYDV4.png

For what it's worth, my only Italian "matches" are from Emilia, Liguria, Toscana, and Piemonte.

Angela, here my attachment (I hope you see):

https://imgur.com/a/ICZnIu6

This thread has been viewed 235474 times.

Back